Let's Count Up to 16 Weeks of Strength Building

Options
DDHFree
DDHFree Posts: 502 Member
I am currently on my first week of strength building. Please join me by stating your weekly accomplishments for whatever strength training program you are doing. Basically that you completed week 1 strength training, ate according to goal, and anything else you want to share. We will post every Monday.
-
Details about me:
  1. Beginner
  2. 5' 2" tall
  3. Weight 136 lbs
  4. Goals: To get down to 120 lbs (long term 113) but also build some muscles
  5. Proram: "a Workout Routine" http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/the-beginner-weight-training-workout-routine/

This is basically an accountability thread

Replies

• sixpacklady
    sixpacklady Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I am very excited to join you and I will follow the same program so that I can get ready for summer and look hot :wink:

My stats:
    1. Beginner
    2. 5'2.5" tall
    3. Weight 127 lbs
    4. Goals : To gain some muscle, lose fat and inches. Weight on the scale doesn't matter.
    5. Program: http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/the-beginner-weight-training-workout-routine/

I will send a friend request.
  • DDHFree
    Options
    So glad you will join me sixpacklady. I am super excited about this journey. Thank you for joining in with me. Let's make happen!
  • JesmineDNCS
    JesmineDNCS Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Hi, I would like to join too. Some accountability will help when I feel intimidated/ unmotivated to hit the gym.

My stats:
    1. Beginner
    2. 5' 4 tall
    3. Weight 72kg
    4. Goals: To maintain muscle and lose fat and inches. Currently eating on a deficit. If I can lose 4-5kg, I would be happy!
    5. Program: SL 5x5
  • DDHFree
    Options
    JesmineDNCS, so glad you will join us. I am just excited to see our accomplishments in 16 weeks.
  • sixpacklady
    Options
    Welcome JesmineDNCS, lets make this happen and get ready for summer!

Summer bodies are made in winter!!

My biggest struggle is my sweet tooth, hoping to tame it down a little bit for the next few months...
  • JesmineDNCS
    Options
    Thanks! This is the first time I have properly started a strength program and I'm happy with the way I feel so far. When I started, I was doing some cardio after SL. But the last 2 times I went, just couldn't manage...too tired.

Do we post our training here? Or measurements? Or BW?
    Its already summer here in Australia though :smile: But I've got a holiday coming up in May so the timing is perfect! Looking forward to the results in 16 weeks!
  • DDHFree
    Options
    Hey Ladies. Yes, we will post to this thread unless you'd like to do it differently. Sixpacklady, sweetness is my weakness also. Therefore, I made a big batch of high fiber low sugar high nutrient cookies that seems to work for me. I eat one almost every night. I also eat my 1 serving of dark chocolate each night. These 2 item seems to do the trick for me.

JesmineDNCS, I have toyed around with weights a few times in my past but have never made any real progress. But for the first time, I feel like I have the right information and that it's just a matter of working the program. I am so excited to see how it goes. BTW, Australia is on my vision board. :-)
  • DDHFree
    Options
    Monday 1/11/2016
    SW 136
    CW 133
    GW 120
    Strength Program: 1 week complete - trained 3 days

My first week (technically it's 1.75 weeks but will call it 1 week) was great. Most of it I spent learning form, lingo, and watching a ton of videos. I am so stoked. I spent the holidays creating my at home gym. I purchased a power rack, a rogue "ladies" barbell, heavy mats for my floor, plates, a plate stand, etc. I'm hoping to enjoy it enough that it will definitely become of part of lifestyle for me.

I've spent many years running and it never gave me the body I wanted, so I hope this will do it for me.

Good luck ladies.
  • sixpacklady
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Good start DDH.

We could also post our progress related to the weights we are lifting...Starting my first workout today, excited for our future!!!
  • DDHFree
    Options
    I love the idea of posting our progress. So here goes.

Week 1:
    Workout A
    Squat 35 lbs
    Bench Press 35 lbs
    Bent over Row 35 lbs

Workout B
    Deadlift 45 lbs
    Lat Pulldowns 30 lbs
    Shoulder Press 28 lbs

Workout A
    Squat 45 lbs
    Bench Press 40 lbs
    Bent over Row 40 lbs

Shoulder press was difficult. I used an old 60" barbell that's 28.4 lbs. It was very challenging last week. I could not use my new barbell, 35 lbs, for this exercise this morning. So instead, I used 30 lb dumbbells. However, I will have to repeat the 30 lb dumbbells next time because I could only do 10, 7, 7. I must do between 8 to 10 reps for each set in order to move up. But I am so, so excited about the possibility of just being STRONG. In general, I am using the barbell for my lifting but having to supplement with dumbbell for the shoulder press until I am able to lift my new barbell which is 35 lbs. I do have fractional weights that .6 lbs but my old barbell is now being used across the top of my power rack for my "econo pulley" device. So if I put too much information. Just excited. LOL!
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    DDHFree wrote: »
    I am using the barbell for my lifting but having to supplement with dumbbell for the shoulder press until I am able to lift my new barbell which is 35 lbs.

you didn't ask for my 2c but as someone with shoulder history, i'm all about this. of all the lifts, i think ohp is the one where 'less is more' unlocked the most progress for me. form makes such a huge difference to it, and on that one it takes only the tiniest amount too much weight before my form falls apart.
  • DDHFree
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback Canadianlbs. I welcome all the sounds advice that I can get. I will continue to take my time and focus on form when it comes to OHP.
  • JesmineDNCS
    Options
    Yes thanks for that! I have a right shoulder which gives me trouble from time to time. Will bear this in mind.
    I'll post mine here. (started about 1 month ago using home barbells but just joined a gym so last week's workout was more accurately tracked)

SW: 73.5kg
    CW: 72kg
    GW: 65-67kg

Workout A:
    Squat - 25kg
    OHP - 15kg
    Deadlift - 25kg

Workout B:
    Squat - 30kg
    Bench - 23kg
    Barbell Row - 25kg

Workout A:
    Squat - 32.5kg
    OHP - 17.5kg
    Deadlift - 30kg

I lost about 15kg with just CICO and some walking, but although I am happy to be smaller than I had been, I'm still very 'jiggly'. Looking forward to get strong and defined and drop body fat rather than just weight! I have a ways to go but am enjoying myself this time around. Lifting makes me feel like I can do anything! :smiley:
  • sixpacklady
    Options
    Great progress everyone!

I just did Workout A:
    Goblet Squat 25 lbs
    DB Bench Press 30 lbs
    DB Single Arm Row 15 lbs
  • tonielcock1983
    tonielcock1983 Posts: 25 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Wanting to join as I have a wedding to attend in May. Will be doing the stronglifts 5x5.
    Stats:
    Done before but not consistently
    5ft 1.5
    121lb
    Aim to lose body fat and replace it with a leaner strong body.
    Workout a:
    30kg squat
    20kg bench
    20kg row.
  • DDHFree
    Options
    Way to go ladies. JesmineDNCS, I understand exactly what you mean -- I'm happy to drop pounds but I really want to firm up. So I am very serious about this 16 week program. Can't wait to see our progress in a few short months.
  • sixpacklady
    Options
    How is everyone? Did Workout B yesterday.

Deadlift 55 lbs
    Pullups - did inverted rows
    OHP 30lbs
  • DDHFree
    Options
    Way to go sixpacklady. I did Workout A on yesterday. I was thinking I would share everything in the Monday's update but I guess it does make sense to share details for every workout. How else are we going to stay a motivated team. :)

Wednesday (yesterday)
    Workout A
    Squat 60 lbs
    Bench Press 45 lbs
    Bent over Row 50 lbs

It felt so awesome doing the warm up and finding previous amount of weight to be light. OMG I was excited. However, while I managed to do the minimum 8 reps for Bench Press, I will be repeating the 45 lbs because I struggled with my form. So not ready to increase on that one yet.

One other thing that's bugging me... Call it rigid personality... because my first week which started on a Wednesday include 3 complete workouts for the week (Wed, Fri, Sun), I just feel compel to say I'm on Week 3 rather than week 2. I know it's insignificant but I feel like I am leaving out an entire week of training. I wanted us all to start on the same week. So if you will excuse my personality disorder, I think I am going to have to call this week 3 for me. :)
  • DDHFree
    Options
    Sixpacklady, are you using a barbell for your workouts?
  • tonielcock1983
    tonielcock1983 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Workout b
    32.5kg squat
    20kg overhead
    40kg deadlift