OMG ~ Discussions Starting 1-11-16 and Beyond

Options

Replies

• BlessedBeyondMsr
    BlessedBeyondMsr Posts: 65 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Lisa: Sorry your daughter is under the weather, hope she feels better soon. No way I'm drinking olive oil, couldn't stomach it and wouldn't dare waste my calories ;)

Cindy: I thought the same thing about the cortisol levels when you were talking about the scales, especially given your stress level. Funny thing, they recommend you do that detox bath for 20 minutes a night as warm as you can stand it, but for me, life is so busy and stressful at times I won't take the time to do it ;) Jasper is gorgeous! LH creams are so rare, thanks for sharing. Made me smile :) The other photo was lovely. Wish I could be zapped there for a little R&R!

Patti: We occasionally get red headed woodpeckers here and they are so impressive looking I think. Love cardinals too. Did you know a cardinal mates for life? I think the females are equally as beautiful as the red males. I am not tolerating these freezing temps AT ALL, but planning on staying in after I pick up our son from school. Have fun at TRX tonight. I wish we had that at our gym, I would totally do it.

Jeanette: If your granddaughter likes using a pen, that's great! It will enhance her fine motor skills all the more...she might be a surgeon one day ;)

Bert: Glad you are doing well. We had a puzzle we worked on for months as a family. Put it on the dining room table and when any of us walked thru that room we chipped away at it. Then my step mother came to visit and worked the whole thing, lol! But, I will say it was taking us forever so I guess it was a good thing ;)

Got my workout in at the gym. Breaking out in a cold sweat with my cardio still, so me thinks I am not over this junk just yet, but I did it. I don't find I am feeling any worse after my workouts so that's good. One more workout day and I will have met my weekly goal this week...YES! And I have pre-tracked my entire day, so if I stick to the plan I will come in under with 8 calories to spare.
  • JP_in_KY
    JP_in_KY Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Up and out early. Car maintenance done (and they found a very small nail in one tire but were able to fix the tire -- whew. Ran several errands because we're due for snow tomorrow and who knows what on Friday. Am stocked up now, doing laundry and trying to get a few things done. If need be, I can stay home until Monday (two doc appointments).

Diane, beautiful kitties -- a bit like my Theo. Cindy, eager to see Jasper.

MaryLynn, happy birthday to the beautiful Kelly.

Succumbed to baked potato chips today -- had a crunchy/salty craving so chose the least-bad option. Still ...

OK -- time to take something for my back and finally open the mail! Will check back later. Pardon me if I am a little quiet for a few days -- just feeling contemplative and introverted this week.

Big hugs to all.
  • lcuconley
    lcuconley Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    OMG - another chapter in the "why did I eat that...it was totally NOT worth it": my daughter made mac n cheese for lunch today and I had half...500 calories!! sigh! At least I had a good lifting + yoga trip to the gym. Pizza tonight for dinner. I will have to have a nice salad and stop at two slices in order to stay within my calorie limit!

Janet - great job on hitting all of the errands. Always better safe than sorry with snow coming! I loved baked cheetos!

Vikki - good job getting in a great workout, even though you aren't 100%! stick to plan!! you can do it!

patti - every spring we got a pair of cardinals in our back yard. then last spring we got two females. I had heard the "mate for life" thing, so I was worried, but did not see any negative behaviour. The soup sounds delish!

Cindy - sending calming vibes your way!

- lisa
  • cindyr619
    cindyr619 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies- Finished eating for today and I went over by 125 calories- yes they were not clean M & M's ... but it could have been much worse and I'll take it.
    Wish I had time for a leisurely bath- I used to have a huge claw foot tub in one of my homes- miss that one. LOL
    Anyway- sounds like we're all doing good things winter storm headed our way for the weekend.
    Waving to all who follow tonight. Tomorrow is a new day.
  • luzingg
    luzingg Posts: 1,678 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Well TRX was a real butt kicker tonight. She did it as circuit and added in the dreaded rope. 35 seconds of each exercise with 10-15 seconds between. Really had my heart pumping and the sweat pouring. I was thinking that MFP gave too many calories for exercise so I discussed it with my trainer. Here is her answer. Running burns 100-110 calories for every 10 minutes. Add strength to the cardio and it ups it to 110-120 cals per 10 minutes. This lady is one smart chick. I still rarely eat my exercise calories, I struggle to get my basics in. I know everyone is tired of hearing me complain about it, but I just can't seem to get my calorie intake up. It is even more difficult when eating as little processed foods as possible. I am afraid to go back to full fat cheeses, not sure that is the healthiest choice. I currently eat the 2% kind and really like them. I think I am going to have to add more carbs. I don't care for rice so that leaves potatoes and pasta....any other suggestions. I mostly need to up my middle meal, but am already forcing myself to eat this meal. I never dreamed this was going to be an issue but it has been a persistent one, especially when I am faithful with my exercise.
    So enough of my whining. The soup was excellent. Added a squeeze of lime, some cheddar cheese and oyster crackers for crunch. It was a huge bowl 1 3/4 cups and the whole deal came in at 399 calories. Using my homemade corn stock and tomato puree not only made it taste good it kept the sodium low. I used a Siracha seasoning I bought at Costco, it really packs a punch. Used about 1 TBS for 10 cups of soup and it was quite spicy.

Lisa and Cindy, you had your treats and were honest about it, just let it go and move forward.

Janet, thanks for letting us know so we don't worry about you. I rarely get quiet, as you well know. But maybe I should practice it sometime, may be good for my soul and for the ears of my friends. Hugs to you.

Patti
  • EniadS
    EniadS Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Hello all. Checking in after a long day traveling. Just got back from dinner. I picked a spinach salad with blackened salmon and a Dijon vinaigrette dressing. I have no idea how to track it. It tasted way too good to be low cal!

I did a Nike Fit workout in my hotel room earlier for 15 minutes. I need to get more steps for the day afte sitting on the plane all day but I don't feel like getting workout gear on. I think I'll g walk the halls and stairs of the hotel. I'm only at 6000 steps. Probably not going to make 10k any of the next three days! I'm going to try to stay on east coast time so will go walk for 20-30 minutes then go turn in for the night. Hopefully I'll get to the exercise room in the morning.

Reading all but not replying much.
  • cindyr619
    cindyr619 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Good Morning Ladies-
    I've tracked my food for the day in hopes that the complete pre-plan will keep me away from the munchie monster
    I have choosen to plan in a yogurt/ walnut snack mid afternoon. Despite trying to do No S- I think having something planned will keep me away from a poor choice.
    And lunch is pretty light- do I have the calories to use.
    Diane- glad you picked up something good for dinner and I'm impressed with the hotel room workout.
    I'm traveling at the end of February and think that is a great idea- was it on your laptop?
    Patti- try incorporating some nuts or something that is clean but higher is calories- it has essential oils and good proteins. Then maybe fruit for balance.
    Need to start my day but thinking of you all.
    Cindy
  • bertevans
    bertevans Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    Good Morning...........Breakfast is tracked. I have a question that hopefully someone can answer it for me. How can you delete foods in your diary that you may have eaten once and/or don't want it in the list again? My diary for each meal is almost 4-5 pages long!

Mike took me to the store last night and then we ordered Chinese (lots of sodium, I know). It's located in a local mall, so while they were fixing the order, we walked in the mall. It felt good to walk somewhere else other than in the house! :)

We got snow last night, it looks like around 2 inches. No intention of going anywhere after Mike gets home tonight! Have a great day everyone.

Bert
  • BlessedBeyondMsr
    Options
    Snowy morning hello from VA gals! Woke up to schools being closed here and some beautiful snow. We were expecting a little today and the big storm warning for the end of the week, but getting a fair amount right now and it's lovely! Our son is thrilled to be out of school and we have a deal that when he has a snow day, I bake chocolate chip cookies. He likes to help me bake which is sweet and I will surely be having one or two of those cookies...no question! Had a lunch date planned with a friend, putting that on hold due to weather.

Patti: I am glad you brought up the calorie issue, bc I too have often felt like MFP gives way too many calories for exercise. Did some research yesterday and I have adjusted my calories for my cardio exercises based on my weight. I was giving myself about 50-60 calories too much on my cardio workouts based on read outs from gym equipment, which I learned is a set protocol for 150 lb person. My only exception is when I run out doors and I use Map My Run, which is accurate and syncs with MFP.
    My question is, does MFP adjust calories based on YOUR current weight or is it based on a one size fits all for everyone? I need to maybe ask someone in admin. I stumbled upon a MFP calorie calculator and in fact when I put in my weight, the exercise, and the amount of time, it was pretty close to what MFP is giving me on exercise when I log. So what I'm trying to spit out here, is that I think it they might calculate it based on your current weight. I also found an article from Harvard Med School that said you burn approx 90 calories per 30 minutes of strength training, so when MFP was giving me 37 calories for 15 minutes, that wasn't far off.

Cindy: I think you did great on your logging. I consider going over by that much, not bad, but I know it's not ideal. Life happens! I don't eat much sugar when I am being strict on MFP, but I actually have M&M's saved as one of my snacks for my chocolate fix. Hope pre-tracking helps today. I find it really does help me, I just have to plan ahead to make sure I have everything on hand for the next day and it just feels good to have a plan and to feel a little more in control if that makes sense? Fail to plan, plan to fail philosophy.

Lisa: I hate when I do that too! It was a little tempting packing my son some cheese puffs in his lunch box yesterday morning. Truth be told I could have just began shoveling them in at 7 AM lol, but I resisted the urge ;)

Janet: I bet you'll be getting very similar weather to us. Glad you are stocked up! Hope you enjoy your quiet time. I am a lot like that.

Diane: I am super impressed you did the hotel workout. I don't know if I could have been that disciplined! Your dinner sounded yummy! I just usually type in the items and can find something fairly close on MFP even if it's not from the same restaurant. You made really wise choices.

Bert: I'm going to go to my diary and test that out and see if I can figure out how too. Good question.

Vikki

• KarlaLM58
    KarlaLM58 Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Good morning my dear ladies I have not fallen off the face of the earth!! Monday and Tuesday are two on site work days and they really ware me out. On a good note I have surpassed my 10k steps the last two days too. I just caught my food diary up for the last two days. Why does it keep saying in five weeks I will be 14 pounds lighter, but the scale is barely moving? Lol.

Bert- I'm not sure how to remove them from your history. Good for you for walking the mall.

Cindy- I'm with you on the yo-yo scale. I am working hard to keep a good choice of food too. I eat healthy foods, but to me, too much of it. I keep healthy snacks and all this exercise is keeping me ravenous. I think the stress at work is your enemy and maybe planned healthy snacks is better for you. I am eating the Oikios Triple Zero yogurt now. It has no added sugar, artificial sweeteners or fat. It is 40 calories more than the 80cal Dannon light Greek I was eating, but healthier and Dannon makes it too. I add walnuts when I use it for breakfast for the Omega 3 benefits too. Hang in there my friend.

This has been my exercise the last two weeks:

30 Minute Burn x5 with 10k steps daily

Four Fast Miles- one hour DVD- x5 times with 10k steps daily

This week I have gotten my 10k steps Monday and Tuesday and today I will choose a new DVD for the week and do it.

So why is the scale so slow? One, I did indulge on Sunday for my birthday, but still within my calories, but not as healthy choices.

Patti- I had lost 1.0 when I weighed Sunday morning, before my birthday celebration, and then Monday when I weighed I was up the pound. Thank you for asking .

Myra- you are a sweet and productive member to our family. Thank you so much for your help and support!!

Diane- you are really focused lady!! What great choices you are making.

I picked up Izzy after work yesterday and we have a fun afternoon planned. We are going to Anders Book Store by the University, and picking her up some alphabet and numbers workbooks. Then by the Chevy place for an oil change, followed by a library stop. I read to her last night. Disney book of course. She is asking me again to take her and Mommie to Disney World again. Lol.

I'll check back later on,

Karla

• BlessedBeyondMsr
    Options
    My plan for today, is to do my workout at home bc of the snow. I will do my cardio on my elliptical and do my Jackie Warner 15 minute ab workout.
    If I complete my mission ;) I will have gotten my 4 days of cardio, 3 days of strength training in and I have came in under my calorie goal 3 out of 5 days so far this week. So I am pleased with my progress.

Hope you all have a lovely day.

Be blessed,
    Vikki
  • luzingg
    Options
    Good snowy morning here, I was planning to go to the gym for a line dance class (purely for the fun of it) and then go see my daughter and give her my old Fitbit. For those of you that are new here. My daughter is 45 and just recently come in to my life. I was 16 when she was born and I gave her up for adoption. She just "found" me this past summer. It has been a dream come true and we are slowly but surely getting to know each other and form a relationship. This is something I truly believed would never happen, so to say I am blessed is an understatement. We live on opposite ends of town but she works about a block from the gym, which is 4 miles from my house. So now we will be able to get together, if even for a few moments, more spontaneously.
    The roads here look awful, hoping they will be cleared in time for Zumba. If not I will do a video here to keep up my promise to myself to workout 6 days a week.

Diane, great job with the workout and the food choices. I've seen how well you can do when you are focused and I think you are in the zone my friend. Keep up the good work and I know you are going to thoroughly enjoy your ski mini vacation. You have certainly earned it.

Cindy, I think pre tracking and planning a healthy snack will be helpful. I wonder if you are reaching for those sugar fixes at the same time every day? Maybe you would be better off with some chocolate milk, especially since you are a milk lover. Or milk and a piece of fruit. Thanks for the tip about the nuts, I always forget about them and I have the 100 cal packs of almonds, walnuts and I always have pecans toasted and in the freezer. Need to start adding them to my yogurt at lunch and maybe again as a snack after dinner.

Bert, good question. I am going to play around too, since I have extra time today. I bet you really enjoyed your mall walk yesterday. Glad you got it in before the snow hit.

Vikki, not sure if calories burned are weight based here for exercise, but it would make sense that they are. Let me know what you find out. I told my trainer the amount of calories MFP gave me for TRX and she agreed with it. Have fun with your son. I always loved cooking with the kids. When my son was growing up, he had to cook one meal a week. He chose the menu and I walked him thru it. Edd cannot cook anything, he can heat stuff up in the microwave but that is truly it for him. I didn't want Mike to go thru life like that. He mostly grills now but I know he has the basics down. Anyway, enjoy the time with him and the snow. Memories are being made today, enjoy a cookie, otherwise what is the point of a snow day. Just stop with one or two.

Karla, what a fun day you have planned with Izzy. You, too, are making the best memories. I miss my grandkids being little. Just got a save the date card from my youngest grandson for his May wedding. How can he be old enough to get married. Seems like just yesterday we were at the cabin, playing in the sand, swinging on ropes, swimming and tubing on the river. Sorry for no loss this week, but at least it was not a gain and you had a great loss last week. You may have been retaining fluid from your birthday celebration. Bet you have a good loss next week.

I have thought about some changes I can make to increase my calorie intake. I think I will switch to a "non-diet" whole grain bread, add in some nuts and switch to regular cheese. I need to get my second oil, always get one with breakfast but don't always get the second one. It's a start and hopefully what I need. If anyone has any other suggestions I am certainly open to them. I am going to my Son's for the big games on Sunday. He is serving pizza and I have been craving it something crazy. Probably because they show pizza commercials at every break in the action. I think I have to blame Peyton Manning for this, since he does the Papa John's commercials. Actually don't care for Papa John's so am hoping that is what my son orders. But I do plan to eat at least one piece. Of course, everyone is bringing an appetizer and my DIL asked me to bring stuffed jalapenos: cream cheese, sausage, parmesan cheese stuffed in jalapeno halves and then baked. It is going to be a real challenge. Hoping to position myself as far from the food as possible and not go there hungry. But I am an appetizer girl so it will be a test of my will.

Hope you all didn't fall asleep reading this, sorry for the long post
    Patti
  • LivLovLrn
    LivLovLrn Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Good morning! Today is hand-off day for Alanna; her dad will bring her to me, I get to hang out with her for about an hour then I take her to her mom (my daughter). I love my time with her, though the circumstances are less than ideal. Then I go to the Christian university I teach at and teach 2 ballroom classes. Today is Foxtrot for both classes. Though I love teaching the little ones at the studio, but I think this is my favorite job right now; teaching at the college.

Sounds like a lot of you are dealing with snow! I am on the other side of the country in rainy Oregon. We really have only gotten a light dusting of snow once this winter so far. Good thing I like the rain!

Vikki- sounds like you are having a great week again, right on track!

Patti- what a wonderful story, I am so happy for you that your daughter found you and is working on getting to know you. I can’t imagine what it would be like knowing you had a child out there that you believe you could never have any contact with. It is so great that she works near your gym and that you can work out finding time together. What a blessing. Also, regarding food you say you don’t like rice but there are so many varieties, do you not like any of them? Are there some kinds you could eat? Also another fat/oil for you might be avocado if it is available; a good healthy fat. When you go to the game maybe eat ahead of time so you aren’t so hungry. Or bring some food you know is safe; I always try to bring food I can eat when going to things like this.

Diane – wonderful for you to keep with it while traveling, not an easy task!

Cindy- I never take calorie or exercise amounts as exact when I log. I figure it is more of a close estimate. So if it says you went over by 125 maybe you did, maybe you didn’t; as long as you are close I think you are ok.

Well, I hope you who are dealing with snow stay warm and safe. I’m off to get ready for my day so I can focus on my beautiful granddaughter while she is here.

Grace and peace to you
    Jeanette
  • lcuconley
    lcuconley Posts: 734 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    jeanette - that sounds like a really fun job! I agree that all of this calorie count stuff is approximate. Those of us that are losing have a deficit target, so just because we go a bit over on what we wanted to eat, its not going to make us gain weight!

patti - what about quinoa...high protein carb! sounds like you might need to drink Vikki's lemon water with olive oil!! That is a great story about your daughter! So glad you are building a relationship...that is tough! Have fun at line dancing/zumba/video...whatever you do!!! Perhaps in addition to your stuffed jalepenos, you could bring a healthy app?

Diane - when I traveled, I ALWAYS brought my workout things...actually using them is another matter. Great job!!

vikki - I love cooking and baking with my kids. I hope to get a banana bread in the oven this afternoon. great job with your workout targets...its only wednesday!

well, off to make dinner, do laundry and hopefully prepare a banana bread.

cheers - Lisa
  • luzingg
    Options
    I just have to stop by and brag on my sweet husband. I want to put a shout out on FB but he would not like that so you are my audience. First of all he went over and cleaned off my Mom's car and shoveling her parking space without one word from me. There is a lady in our neighborhood that is elderly and gets around with a walker. It takes a lot of effort for her to just walk down the street but we see her often. I have never seen her out in bad weather before but today she was coming down the street, we have no sidewalks so she was literally in the street, and had a couple of bags of groceries. Both of us commented on how heartbreaking it was to see her struggle so. With that Edd got in the car and went out to get her and drive her home. He fills my heart with pride and I just had to tell someone.
    Patti
  • KarlaLM58
    KarlaLM58 Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Jeanette, I had to take my granddaughter back today early, she had an upset stomach and her insurance changes next month so I thought they might want to get her in. She was feeling better by the time I got her home. I am at the Chevy dealership getting my oil changed.

Lisa, I love banana bread. I tried a low fat one but just wasn't as good. What recipe do you use? I always like to make it or muffins when I get overripe bananas around.

Janet- I started sending the email on when Izzy got sick so had to stop and run. Sounds like you are returning to you old self. Weekly doctors visit are intensive, I hope she release you soon, of course after your revisions. Glenn and I are both sick of doctors. LOL.

Our visit was cut short but we had a lovely evening last night. Izzy and I, that is. She slept in so I was able to have a very leisurely morning, with getting some client work completed.

I haven't gotten my dvd chosen yet with the sudden change of plans. I also have a muscle cramp in my lower left leg that keeps coming and going. I don't know why I can't get rid of this I am only at 4175 steps so far today. Uggghh.

Cindy- i keep thinking of you my dear. I am trying not to get discouraged with this journey either. I even thought today that I was just going to quit eating entirely, is that not silly?

I'm going to see if my car is ready,
    Karla
  • 68myra
    68myra Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I am truly enjoyed all the pet (and grand baby) pictures!

I am envious of those of you without a sweet tooth! for me, eating anything very sweet is a slippery slope. I bought my girls some girl scout thin mint cookies (my favorite) and every time i think of having one, I remind myself that i don’t “want” just one… i want 40!!!! we’ll see how long i can hold out, LOL

Patti- you are doing great! i was going to suggest eating nuts, but someone beat me to it. thanks for your encouragement on pilates. after my sister tried the dvd, she texted me: “I am an old weak inflexible lady” HAHA.

Janet - i’m glad you are finally over your illness. sounds like you caught something nasty. I agree with you about the oils feeling like wasted calories… so I eat mine in the form of nuts and guacamole :)

MaryLynn… congrats on the lost inches! You all are really kicking it this January!

Diane- Kudos to you! for working out in a hotel room. i would be so tempted to just flop on the comfy bed! sorry about the inconvenience of a fender bender. grrr.

Cindy- i was gonna tell you that cortisol surely does make a body hang onto weight, but, once again, i was too slow. sheesh, i only missed one day of posting! ;) that pic you posted of the sunset(?) is gorgeous! i want to come to camp!!

Bert- glad to hear you got to walk somewhere other than around the house :) you seem to be healing marvelously! i poked around about deleting foods, but didn’t figure anything out.

Vikki - my kids are insanely jealous of your snow! enjoy your “snow days” off from school!
    I’ve done the lemon water thing, but never with oil.

Jeanette- I am intrigued by the multiple hats you wear! teaching multiple generations, student yourself, granddaughter go-between…. you must be organized to keep all those plates spinning.

Patti- thanks for sharing the story about your daughter. My best friend in high school was adopted. her parents were in graduate school when she was given up for adoption. I’m glad your daughter wanted to reach out to you and you can get to know one another now.

Lisa- your dedication to working out is inspiring :) hmmm, now i want banana bread. hehe

thank you to everyone for the encouraging comments….. admission time: I scroll through my friends’ newsfeed while i’m in carpool (kids in two schools, two carpools) so I just hit the like button and rarely post words…. makes me feel less guilty about having my phone out ;) it’s a LOOOOONG carpool line, and i always put it down when i’m close to the building, but still. BIG GUILT complex going on here!

my youngest earned a “pizza night” tonight by getting her schoolwork done so far this week…. for me, pizza is like…. um…. girl scout cookies. if i eat one piece, i want the whole enchilada. I have a can of Amy’s lentil soup that I’m hoping will keep me in line :)

grace and peace….. i like that,
    Myra

ps: just refreshed my page.... Patti, your husband is a sweetheart!
  • JP_in_KY
    Options
    Time to take a break here and check in.

Bert, glad you are getting out -- good for the spirit. Chinese food -- yum! I have the same question about how to clean out the list of things I've tracked. For goodness' sake, it adds Quick-Add amount to the list. Puh-leez!!! It's my sole gripe about MFP so far and I sure don't mind having the extra $20 a month I was paying WW.

Lisa, I laughed about your duaghyer creatuing her own two-hour delay. I LOVED to sleep in when I was a kid and even when working became the queen of getting up, showered, dressed and out the door in record time. I'd abuse the snooze alarm at least twice a week.

Karla, the scale has a mind of its own. That's one reason I am weighing less often -- rather than be freaked out by the number I'm trying to put the focus on what goes into my mouth. Today, a successful effort -- so far.

Cindy, somehow I missed the pooch and camp pics yesterday -- what a lovely campsite, and the pups are adorable. Can Jasper please jump into my lap/ (Theo, currently on my lap, resents that remark.) You'll do well when you travel -- we all do our best. Diane's leading the way and boy, did that salad sound good. May need to make something similar soon.

Vikki, we got about 4" of snow, with much more due Friday.

I posted on our subdivision's FB page that I'd love to find some neighborhood kids to shovel my driveway, Today two cute boys about 7 and 10 showed up at my door with shovels (a neighbor I have yet to meet in person sent them in my direction) and they now have a steady gig for the winter. They did a nice job and were thrilled when I gave them $20 instead of the $15 they asked for. Told them I will pay more if the snow is deeper next time. I remember how glad I was to earn a few bucks as a kid (mostly babysitting or taking in mail for vacationing neighbors). So nice to have such thoughful neighbors and a couple of good kids I can rely on.

Am emptying and organizing my pantry in short bursts today. It's heck on my back, foot & ankle (took something but still sore -- may need to finish tomorrow) but it will be nice to get my nonperishables organized -- have found very little past expiration and am making a list of things I'm low on. My aim this winter is to eat out of my well-stocked pantry and freezer and buy only perishables. It'll be good for me and save me money. There's a pot of turkey/black bean chili simmering. Made a big pot so I can freeze several servings. I love soup and making my own is enjoyable. So glad I bought an upright freezer for my garage -- helps me eat more healthily and cook in batches.

OK, I've bent your ears (eyes?) long enough. Onward! Will check back later.
  • JP_in_KY
    Options
    WOW! A whole flock of us were on here ta the same time -- how nice.

Patti, good on Edd -- he sounds like such a lovely soul. Wish I could relate to having trouble getting calories in but know that's a real issue for you. Quinoa is a greta suggestion. Do you like oatmeal? Perhaps making some with milk for some of the water might be an option. And of course there's always cheese ...

Jeanette, I have two left feet (well, actually, my left foot and ankle are a mess). I'm a terrific chair-dancer but so self-conscious when I wander onto the dance floor! But I am getting better at that -- at my best friend's daughter's wedding they all kept begging me to get out there. I did (in a large group of family) and enjoyed it. Around people who love me regardless, it's easier.

Karla, I have a pretty decent banana bread recipe -- will try to remember to post it on the recipe thread. Tony (my ex-boyfriend) loved it so I made it often when he was around.

How many flavors of balsamic vinegar does a person need? My pantry cleanout remimds me that I am a condiment collector. I love to cut strawberries up and marinate them with Splenda and a bit of balsamic. Bought four kinds of fresh berries yesterday fewer calories than other fruits and really good for us) and need to prep the strawbs tonight and let them do their thing overnight.

See ya later!
  • luzingg
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I have tried to like oatmeal, adding fruit, nuts, milk and flavorings, but at the end of the day it is still oatmeal and just doesn't do it for me. I have tried quinoa in several recipes and just don't get it. No taste, just filler, I do have lots of recipes saved so I may look thru those to see if I can work them into my lunch. I feel the same way about rice but will see if I can find a way to add it in to some of my recipes to amp them up. I do love avocados but always forget about them for some reason, so will need to add them to my grocery list. I am willing to try if that is going to get this weight off and keep it off. I know I am always going to be a work in progress.

I was going to blow off exercise since I can't get to the gym, no real reason, just lazy today. But gave myself a talking to and did the new Leslie DVD, the 40 minute workout which is really only 30 minutes of aerobics with 5 minutes warm and 5 mintutes cool down. Better than nothing at all and I liked this new one as she had a few new moves that were fun.

Myra, I think checking out your friends pages and liking their posts is a good use of time spent just sitting. At least it keeps it interesting.

Janet, how nice to have those boys to count on and giving them extra will keep them coming back and doing a good job. I am a condiment and spice collector too. Anytime I see a new combo I just have to buy it. My favorite place to find cool ones is at Marshalls and TJMaxx. I have to go thru and weed out every year. And since I have 2 homes I have double the stash, lol. Sounds like we all were in the soup making mode this week.

I forget who said they had made Lentil and ham soup earlier but would love to have the recipe if possible. I have been eating the Madras Lentils from Costco and really like them.

Cindy, hoping your pretracking worked for you today.

Patti