OMG ~ Discussions Starting 1-11-16 and Beyond

Options

Replies

• 68myra
    68myra Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    WOW! @KarlaLM58 all that finger and toe crossing! j/k you're efforts are paying off!
    I had chicken pox as a kid, but i will certainly now look into shingles vaccine! thanks for sharing your experience with it (all of you) i was married for 12 years the first time and i'm working on 13 (and many more) this time. I suspect i married too young (and i didn't listen to my parents at the ripe old age of 21)

Cindy- Raleigh, NC survived very well. we actually had more ice last winter (just not all at once) I have one kid on a 3 hour delay, and the other no school, but i expect tomorrow to be normal. congrats on sending your latest book off to copy edit

Jeanette- I hope you had a peaceful, restful Sunday and that Alanna is doing much better.

Vikki- i hope you aren't out of power and you and your son are just having way too much fun playing in the snow :)

TT: 1) I ate TWO girl scout thin mint cookies and stopped. that's never happened before.
    2) I did some very slow running on the treadmill on Saturday (physical therapist approved)
    3) I started a pilates dvd, and did 11 exercises, 3X this week (thanks, Patti!!!)

I have been wondering how long the "core" group has known one another. I suspect you know each other from WW? not trying to pry, just curious.

happy monday all,
    Myra
  • KarlaLM58
    KarlaLM58 Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Myra- Patti and I met in September of 2011 on Weightwatchers. We then opened a board on WW and then we met Cindy, Janet, Bert, Suzi, Paula and Diane. WW was changing and we needed a change too and most of us had been using MFP for the nutrient totals, so here we all came in November of last year. It was our lucky day to meet all of you nice ladies on here!!

Working on some DMERC Medicare transmission issues, back later,

Karla
  • LivLovLrn
    LivLovLrn Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies! I trust you had a good weekend. Mine went pretty well, I finished all Good morning ladies! I trust you had a good weekend. Mine went pretty well, I finished all school work on Saturday and so had Sunday to take it easy. We ended up getting to see our little ray of sunshine, Alanna, for a while this weekend so that was great! And today I get to go teach some dancing, what could be better!?

Patti- I’m sorry to hear your knees are bothering you; sure makes everything harder when such an integral part of your body is hurting you. I am anxious to hear how it went at your son’s with all the food. If you ever do get over this way I’d love to meet up with you. It does rain here a lot, but it is often a warmer rain. We do get some pretty nice weather in the summer so maybe plan for July or August if you do come. Also, thanks for sharing the quote, I find it very meaningful!

Karla- I just can’t imagine having shingles, let alone in your eye!!! Sounds like a long painful battle, sure hope all gets well taken care of; I’m glad you insisted on getting the help you need and found someone you can trust. Your ring sounds beautiful, from a wonderful guy :smile: Glad you get to spend some time with the grand kids, it always brightens the day! AND congratulations on your weight loss!!! Sounds like you are having great success with how you are living. Well done!

Janet- Heehee, if we “only” got 5” of snow here everyone would be in a panic!! We lived in eastern Oregon for a short time and learned to drive in the snow (it snows a lot there) so it wouldn’t bother us too much, but we don’t get much snow here so even a light dusting throws everything off. I live about 30 minutes away from Corvallis near Salem in a little town called Monmouth. If you do ever get out this way I’d love to meet you if you have the time. I am currently counting “only over by about 100” a victory too….every day. My body for years has demanded more food because it didn’t work right, I’m pleased that it is happy with less now. I don’t think of 100 calories as all that much because, in my opinion, the inputs are not exact. Maybe you only went over by a few!

MaryLynn- We had a very wet weekend, I hardly notice, though….it is that time of year. Today looks like a nice sunny day for a change! I hope you had a good weekend, hopefully not too wet.

Diane – 22” of snow!!! I hope a fair amount has melted by the time you return! Sounds like you have having a good time and getting plenty of skiing in. Hope the rest of your trip is great too!

Myra- Alanna is doing better, we ended up having her later that night. I was a little frustrated with my daughter for insisting that she come stay with us as usual when all the poor little thing wanted was her Mommy. She seemed to do fine, though. We didn’t go to church Sunday as she still had a small fever and we didn’t want to share, but that meant we got to spend a little more time with her so we didn’t mind all that much.

Cindy- I agree rain is better than snow. I think snow is pretty, but I don’t like being cold. And I definitely don’t like driving in weather around a bunch of people who don’t know how to drive in it!

My non-scale victories for last week were: I logged everything, I went for a walk and my calves did not cramp at all….I’m sure there are more, but those are what I can think of right now.

I hope you all have a wonderful Monday
    Grace and Peace to you
    Jeanette
  • BlessedBeyondMsr
    BlessedBeyondMsr Posts: 65 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Hey ladies! Wanted to stop in and say "Hi!" And I'm still here. Haven't had a chance to read all the way thru, but Karla saw your amazing loss, woot woot!!! That's awesome, so happy for you!

Well I ddin't have a problem resisting those chocolate chip cookies, but I baked some cookies this morning that got me! A patient brought us cookies at Christmas and I fell in love with them and asked him for the recipe and finally made them a couple of days ago, chilled the dough and I rolled them out, baked them today. They were as good as I remembered. The perfect tea cookie, I have been looking for! They are called Kolaches. It is a Polish cookie with jam in the center. They just melt in your mouth. Kind of a cross between a buttery pastry and cookie. I put peach preserves in the center. This recipe has been in his family for generations and he's in his 80's. I was so pleased that he shared this family recipe with me! Anyhow, I tweaked the baking time and was taste testing for doneness, putting them back in the oven etc. They were bite size and just irresistable to me. I cannot even discuss the calories and fat content. So I definitely blew if for today, skipping lunch, since they were my lunch! And even if I work out I'll be over my calories by quite a bit, but haven't done that for a long time now, so I'm okay with indulging. It was worth it ;)

I am going to head out to the gym to run these cookies off. I will check back later. Hope you all have a great day!

Be blessed,

Vikki

459n1sjgb3h7.jpeg
  • luzingg
    luzingg Posts: 1,678 Member
    Options
    Finally able to get here and have caught up on all my reading.
    Myra, thank you so much for updating the mini goals. You are a gem.
    Diane, you sound like you are in ski heaven. I know how much you enjoy it. Praying you get home safely to a driveway that has been cleared for you. I think he owes you that much after all the hard work you guys put in on his house.
    Suzi, you poor thing. Working so hard to get healthier only to end up with a pain in the behind. I think you are doing all the right things, but it still doesn't seem fair.
    Karla, you lucky girl, getting such a nice addition to your bling collection. Congrats on your awesome loss this week. You are rocking the steps for sure. I make my pizzas on tortillas, the crust of the pizza is the part I like the least, so it is perfect. I cook all my veggies, heat my sauce and bake the tortilla until it is almost crisp before I put any on it.
    Vikki, those cookies look divine. No wonder you couldn't stay away from them. If I eat cookies I go for shortbread types. I have had the ones you made and they are so decadent.
    Jeanette, so happy to hear that you have sunshine in your life even when it is raining outside. Thanks for the invite, you just never know when we might show up. I have loved meeting Karla, Suzi, Paula, Janet and another lady from WW who lives near my brother in AL. That has been the unexpected bonus of these chat sites.
    Cindy, love hearing you are making progress on the book. So excited to read the next chapter in the saga. You are sounding like your old self again, I think the time in Loudon might be doing you some good.
    Janet, sorry about the Patriots' loss yesterday. Who am I kidding......I loved seeing Peyton win this one. But was so happy the Panthers won too. We have friends in NC and are going there to watch the Superbowl, weather permitting. We will be the only Bronco fans there but it will be an awesome trip.

I am counting yesterday as a huge success. I did not eat any pizza! He ordered from Pizza Hut and it was thick crust which I really do not care for and it just looked greasy and unappetizing. It came with breadsticks and wings. I grabbed a bread stick, took one bite and it wasn't wonderful so I didn't eat any more of it. My DIL took it off my hands. My DIL was nursing a hangover as were most of the people at the party. So I was put to work as the hostess so she could chill. I had to make her dish, heat up my stuffed peppers and cook her sister's dish too. So lots of trips up and down the steps from kitchen to family room. Which kept me away from the food. There were 2 taco dips, from 2 different people but exactly the same recipe. I ate 5 chips with some of the dip. I also ate 3 potato chips, no dip. There were chicken chunks wrapped in bacon which I decided to try, bit into it and the chicken was so dry and overcooked that I spit the whole thing into a napkin and pitched. I did indulge in a pasta dish that had spinach, artichokes, black olives, marinara and cheese (but not a lot) So I think that adds up to at least 4 NSVs for the week.

Today I met with my new Dr. Very nice and he agreed with my previous plan of seeing him twice a year with blood work once a year on my next visit. Nice office staff and clean office, so this will work for me. Happy to say that the fluid behind my ear finally cleared up today, seems like fluid was trapped in a sinus cavity because it is now draining down my throat causing me to cough. I am calling it progress, would much rather cough than deal with feeling like I just got off a plane. Forgot to weigh when I got up this morning. Didn't care for the weight I saw on the scale at the Dr but it was fully clothed and after eating breakfast. So hoping to see a loss tomorrow.
    Guess that is it for now.
    Patti
  • EniadS
    EniadS Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Hello all. Quick check in again. I will try for personals when (if!) I get home. Our son went to our neighborhood this morning and got his truck stuck half a mile from our house. Luckily a neighbor came by and pulled him out. Email from a neighbor said a plow came at 4:00, got stuck and had to be pulled out. So they will have to send a front end loader in. Don't know when that will happen! We are headed for home tomorrow am but may not be able to get to our house!

Meanwhile another great day of skiing. Perfect weather, crowds left yesterday. John downloaded an app to keep track. Today we did 25 miles, 24k vertical feet in 30 runs.

Not eating well but burning lots of calories. I just hope it balances out!
  • KarlaLM58
    Options
    Diane- Good to see you dear and hear of your great fun. I saw the pictures on FB and you looked awesome, like a professional skier!! I do pray your house is okay and that they dig out your road before you arrive home. At least your son tried!!

Patti- I am well aware of how you make your personal pizzas dear. I was just giving you a tip of how good these are and they hold up a lot better than the wraps you use, as I have tried them too, and these crust are very thin. I don't like a thick crust either. Sorry about your scale at the physician's office, but you know they normally run high, and given that you probably had blue jeans on, that makes a huge difference. I am sure you will be pleased in the morning.

I heard from Janet and her plastic surgeon had to do a little revision today and she is on her way home soon. I'm sure she will fill us in with how she is doing.

I also figured out how to get on WW and to the boards!! I have missed my 10 Pounds by group. So I got caught up with them. It was so nice.

I have not hardly eaten a thing today. Busy with Izzy and then Jason was over for a couple hours. My son is a real looker, he looked so handsome today. Of course I am very biased. LOL.

I better go track what food I have eaten, and plan for some good food for dinner. I have made a crockpot cubed steak with baby carrots, peas and mashed potatoes. Buttttt, I also made those 7-Up biscuits, yum.

Vikki- I definitely want those cookies recipe please!! I love to make them for my grandkids. I also adore apricot jam!!

I already have over 10k steps!!

Karla
  • LivLovLrn
    LivLovLrn Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to stop in real quick and say....it is 60 degrees here today!! In January!! That's odd even for us. And to top it off, all my bulbs have started
    sprouting; iris, daffodills, tulips. You can actually see the flowers starting in this pic. This is about an entire month early for here; sure hope they don't
    suffer too much if it decides to freeze again
    e4hqc6rhzcil.jpg
  • JP_in_KY
    JP_in_KY Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Jeanette, plants are confused all over!

Vikki, those cookies look irresistible.

Myra, thanks for updating mini-goals.

Patti, glad you liked the new doc -- changing providers is always stressful (I know because I have had to move several times). Glad you hit a good one on the first try.

Am tired and sore so checking in before I rest.

Good news: Endocrinologist says my bloodwork shows my thyroid levels moving in a direction that indicates the radioactive iodine is doing its job (for those of you who are new to me, I had my thyroid removed last June. They found some small cancerous spots so I had radioactive iodine in October).

Weird news: A very large egg-shaped fluid-filled spot plagued me all weekend. Surgeon needed to drain it so I got to watch the procedure -- bizarre and interesting. It's hurting now (numbing shot wearing off) so I'm going to lie with leg up and heating pad on it. This was an unsusually late-arriving complication but we're on top of it and I am back on antibiotics just to be safe. I see her next Monday.

Going to chill now. See you all tomorrow.
  • xjsjaguar
    xjsjaguar Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon Ladies,

Hope you all have a wonderful and productive week ahead, with time for playfulness.
    Thanks Karla for our suggesting the current TT of our personal NSV's. Here's my top three:

NSV #1 Feeling fitter, leaner and more energized.
    NSV #2 Burned 5,417 calories in 750 minutes last week.
    NSV #3 Satiated with smaller portions, without depriving myself of favorites.

After cardio and weights, we went for a drive in the area and found a local farmer who prepares their own lamb, chicken and pork products. We picked up some lamb shanks and will be back for their roast chicken and chicken sausages in a couple of weeks.

Karla: Looks like your scale caught up to your committed efforts and discipline. Way to go!
    Cindy: Love the positive outlook for your week ahead. Sounds like the editing is nearly done!
    Myra: Good idea to get the shingles vaccine. Great running, pilates AND portion control!
    Jeanette: Nice that you did get some relaxing family time on the weekend. Wonderful NSVs!
    Vikki: Absolute best response to delicious cookies: enjoy and then burn em off! Well done!
    Patti: Proud of your handling the football party food buffet; wise to base decisions on taste!
    Diane: Skiing conditions sound fantastic and by those numbers you probably burned it all off!

Thanks for all your positive attitudes and encouraging words! MaryLynn
  • bertevans
    bertevans Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    TT: 3 non scale victories for me are (1) going to church yesterday, (2) I drove myself to the mall today and walked for 40 minutes, (3) I'm not taking pain medication!!!!!

Yesterday at church was so emotional for me. Our choir anthem was entitled "He Never Failed Me". It was just the song I needed to sing. I know that God lead me to my surgeon, and "everyday, every hour, He gives me power". (That was one of the lines in the anthem). It was so good to see our church family.

Bert
  • smack59
    smack59 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Ok, I'm going to have to go back and take notes to do personals for everyone. It's still such a joy to come here and have lots of posts to read through!

My 3 NSV's last week: had to buy SMALLER sweats because mine were falling off my butt. Found an outfit for the Mardi Gras ball I'll be attending in a couple weeks in Mobile and had to go down a size from what I thought I'd need. Tracked all the screw-ups and meltdowns - it was ugly, but I owned up to it.

• KarlaLM58
    Options
    Good morning ladies and welcome to Tuesday!! I must work away from the home today, so I will check in when I return home.

Bert- Those are three MAJOR non-scale victories for you. I am sure your church family were as delighted to see you too. You are really rallying well after your surgery.

Suzi- Your NSV's are awesome!! I'm sorry I forgot to send you the pics of my dresses, but sounds like they may have been too big for you!!! I was hoping your tail-bone issue wasn't going to stop you from coming.

Patti- fingers and toes crossed for a great WI this morning.

Janet- That is wonderful news about your thyroid ninja's. I know you may have been thinking you were sluggish due to the thyroid level, but now that isn't the case I believe it may just be your body still recovering. That lower extremity surgery was an absolute bugger-bear. I hope that minor surgery yesterday will take care of that seroma. Did the heating pad help?

Lisa- Thank you for your kind words. Please remind me if I get grippy about a bad week on the scale to understand the following week will be better. You have really been rocking your exercise and weights.

I have to work on my taxes a bit t his morning before I head out, have a wonderful day filled with blessings for our body.

Karla
  • bertevans
    Options
    Good Morning, Ladies. My cleaning lady is coming this morning. She is such a help to me that I am wanting to keep her full time to do the mopping, vacuuming, etc that might cause any more stress to my back. Then it's off to the mall to meet a friend to walk. She had knee replacement surgery in November, so be both can't walk fast. Actually, she and my cleaning lady are sisters! Small world.

I finished another puzzle yesterday. It is bowls of fruit which is a great incentive to eat more fruit! I'll start another one today at some point. I'm also working on creating a Power Point for our Easter cantata. Have a great day!

Bert
  • KarlaLM58
    Options
    Bert - I told you that you would not want to let that housekeeper go once you saw the benefits both physically and It's so fantastic that they get the whole house done in one morning. Mine brings a helper with her and they really go at it.

TT: Did you keep your mini goal for this week in the forefront of your mind yesterday? Please name your mini goal in your answer and how you worked on it yesterday or will today.

Janet- I hope you had a restful and painless sleep. Hugs!!

Yesterday's TT: 1- I earned over 10k step 3 times last week. 2- I tcontinued to track every bite everyday. 3- I was mindful of my eating while traveling.

Off to get dressed now, I am at 2168 steps already this morning.

Karla
  • KarlaLM58
    Options
    Bert- that was supposed to be "see benefits both physically and mentally". lol

Karla
  • bertevans
    Options
    Karla: No problem......I figured that's what you meant. :) She doesn't do the whole house as I can't afford that much. She mops, vacuums, and cleans kitchen and bathrooms. I can do dusting and things at waist level. I want to keep her, though. I'm not sure if she is bring her helper today, but she has one.

TT: Yes, I have kept my mini goal of drinking more water and eating less in my mind yesterday. It'challenging for me drink water when it's cold outside, but I am managing to drink more than I did.

I got a Garmin Vivofit. I'm trying to learn how it works. Yesterday I got 2,000 steps in which is good for me. Karla, how do you get in 10k?

Bert
  • KarlaLM58
    Options
    Bert - for the most part I am doing laps around the inside of my house since it has been so old or rainy out. But I have been able to achieve it that way. I have a goal to have over 2k before I leave the house the two days away I work at the clients. I get very little when I work because it is a very sedentary job and small office. Then I try and knock out most of it it the mid afternoon when I get home, before I start dinner. Lastly, after dinner I do more laps to finish my day. It is a lot, but it keeps me moving. As soon as possible I want to get out to the parks, my church or neighborhood and start hoofing out there. LOL. You know if it is under 65 degrees us southerners can't take it. LOL

Karla
  • lcuconley
    lcuconley Posts: 734 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    hi everyone - I am back!!! sorry for being absent. I went a bit overboard on the food and drink on friday night and could not get myself to log this weekend! I got back on track yesterday and I did not do as much damage as I had feared!

yesterday's TT - NSVs include exercise: last week, I did yoga 4x, played soccer 3x and lifted once; willpower: I have resisted the croissants and muffins that were calling my name; focus - yesterday I had a salad instead of the wendy's I was really craving for lunch.

Karla - laps 3x a day around the house...that is dedication! Do you use music to keep you going? OMG taxes! I need to get that rolling!!

suzi - those are awesome NSVs! congrats!! sorry to hear about your tailbone!

cindy - so glad to hear your book is almost ready to send off! does that mean that the stress level is going to be subsiding soon?

patti - good job at the football party. So often we mindlessly eat and then realize that it was not worth it...it takes alot of willpower to stop mid-appetizer!

diane - I am so impressed by the MINUTES you are posting skiiing! the conditions must be amazing!!

jeanette and janet - I am sad for the plants that are confused by our really weird winter, but I am more sad for the animals that are supposed to hibernate...eat, no go back to sleep, no, go look for food, no, there is no food because its january...sigh.

janet - good news on your thyroid level. sorry to hear about your other complication. you are right to take it easy...

vikki - those cookies look AMAZING! sometimes, you just gotta indulge. kind of the opposite of Patti's bacon-wrapped chicken and mediocre pizza!

so, today, I am headed to the gym for lifting followed by yoga. tomorrow is hot yoga and soccer. Thursday I am going to a play, so I will miss soccer Thursday night and I can lift during the day instead. Friday, I might do spin since i will miss soccer, but we will see...

Have a great tuesday!!!

- lisa
  • luzingg
    luzingg Posts: 1,678 Member
    Options
    Good morning, no movement on the scale, a bit disappointed but that is just life. I think I need to pay a bit more attention to sodium than I have been as my fingers are swollen this morning, which is unusual for me. Finishing up the laundry and then going to Mom's. She mentioned the other day that she loves sesame sticks, especially the honey roasted ones, but hasn't seen them anywhere in years. She also wanted a free standing toilet paper holder. My new Dr is right down the street from TJMaxx and Fresh Thyme is next door. So I was able to find both things for her, she will be so tickled. We have 2 weeks of Downton Abbey to catch up on and I know we both have lots to say about the games and just generally catch up.

TT: I did very poorly on my mini goal yesterday. I was just not feeling well all day with GI upset, nuff said there. I did buy an avocado yesterday, but it has to ripen. I have switched to full fat cheese and started using 2 teaspoons of oil in my omelet. I did not get full fat bread yet, still have a full loaf from last week. Need to find a bread that has lots of fiber. It is so hard to not buy low fat, low carb everything. I think this is where my body is rebelling me. I am hoping that once I get the balance of nutrients right the weight will start coming off. I have no intentions of stopping my exercise, so have to figure out how to feed my body correctly. I am going to research my new insurance plan to see if they have a benefit for a nutritionist or if they have one that I can talk to.

Suzi, glad you found your ball gown. I do hope your tailbone is healing and you are not in too much pain for your trip. I love that you are seeing such wonderful results with the changes in your body. Great NSVs

MaryLynn, great NSV for you this week. You are definitely in the groove with your exercise. Enjoy your fresh lamb. Love being able to buy from local farmers.

Bert, you are really recovering well and getting back to moving like your old self. Bet it makes you happy every day when you get out of bed that the pains you suffered before are gone.

Janet, hope you are feeling better today and that the seroma is gone once and for all. Glad she put you on the antibiotics as a precaution, hopefully it will set your mind at ease too. Did you get some rest?

Diane, praying for your safe return home and that they have been able to get your neighborhood cleared out enough for you to actually get to your house. Your ski trip looked and sounded like exactly what you needed after all the stress of your job and the weather.

Jeanette, hope your bulbs survive, poor things just don't know what to do. I am a flower lover but in my yard you will find grass and trees. My Mom loved to garden and always had the most beautiful flower beds. I just get no pleasure out of playing in the dirt, lol. So I leave that to those who love it. I am much better at stamping flowers on cards!

I worked on the Wedding invites yesterday. So I at least have the invite wording, reception and rsvp enclosures in word documents and ready to print once I find the right paper. The peony stamp set is beautiful and very simple, I think she will love it. Just need to mock up a few different ideas for her to critique. I sent her all the documents yesterday and she made several changes, mostly just to type font, and was worried that she was being too picky. Just love this girl. They are truly going to be elegant and simple, just like her.

Ok, need to get a move on, back later
    Patti