Introduce Yourself

Options

Replies

• Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    I am definitely not the fastest or greatest runner, but I love doing it!

@KatEmmaMarie - Welcome to the group!

Open secret: *None* of us is the fastest or greatest runner. There are three truths about running to keep in mind:

1. There will always be someone faster than you.
    2. There will always be someone slower than you.
    3. As long as you keep moving, you're lapping the people who stayed on the couch.

Thanks! I will keep that in mind the next time I feel like I'm running like a turtle through molasses haha!!

Even a turtle can beat a sleeping hare in a running race.
  • Hallie82
    Hallie82 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm Hallie. I started running back in 2013 got up to a 10k status ran a race and then kind of fell off the wagon with just small runs here and there. I'm currently back on and training for my first 1/2 coming up here in April. It's nice to find this page (which I found a while ago but right around when I fwas off the wagon) to see others thoughts and running adventures.
  • GinaSpartan
    GinaSpartan Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm Gina...originally the kid who couldn't finish her high school long runs in gym class...then just before my 40th picked up running, lost some weight, and ran a couple of 5kms! Got off track for a few years...but as my 50th is next year...I'm getting back on it! I've been on the treadmill for now (kinda cold in Toronto...maybe just my excuse for now?) but signed up for a 10km on Mothers Day in May...then planning for my first half-marathon in September (too ambitious?!). Ultimately...would love to do a marathon around my 50th next year...but have no idea how to train, and so I welcome both thoughts and motivation.

Last time I ran a 10km 3 years ago...took me 90 mins. My goal is to be at or less than 60 minutes...how can I get there?

Feel free to add me...and look forward to participating in this group!
  • GinaSpartan
    Options
    Goal for February? 3 X 3.1 miles (ie 5km) per week X 4 weeks = 37.2 miles/60 km per month.

Done to date (Feb 7):
    Feb 3: 1.91 miles (3.07 km)
    Feb 7: 3.19 miles (5.13 km)...totals for week 1: 5.1 miles/8.2 km
  • angie_kins
    angie_kins Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm Gina...originally the kid who couldn't finish her high school long runs in gym class...then just before my 40th picked up running, lost some weight, and ran a couple of 5kms! Got off track for a few years...but as my 50th is next year...I'm getting back on it! I've been on the treadmill for now (kinda cold in Toronto...maybe just my excuse for now?) but signed up for a 10km on Mothers Day in May...then planning for my first half-marathon in September (too ambitious?!). Ultimately...would love to do a marathon around my 50th next year...but have no idea how to train, and so I welcome both thoughts and motivation.

Last time I ran a 10km 3 years ago...took me 90 mins. My goal is to be at or less than 60 minutes...how can I get there?

Feel free to add me...and look forward to participating in this group!

Hi Gina! You can definitely get to a half-marathon by September! I ran a marathon a few years back (right before my 30th birthday) and followed the Hal Higdon running program. Here is a link...there a guides for all distance goals.

http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51130/Half-Marathon-Training-Guide

I wish you the best of work...good luck with your workouts!
  • KnordRW
    KnordRW Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm Ray, I'm from the Pittsburgh area, and I'm brand spanking new to running. I used to be someone who never ever ran. But, I've been walking as part of my weight loss routine since the beginning of September, and I've been working towards a 20 mile overnight walk in NYC the first weekend of June. Just for the grins, I tried running on a treadmill a little bit a week ago, and when finding that I could do it way better than I used to, I decided to give a 5K training program a whirl. So here I am! It's great to meet all of you!
  • GinaSpartan
    Options
    Hi Gina! You can definitely get to a half-marathon by September! I ran a marathon a few years back (right before my 30th birthday) and followed the Hal Higdon running program. Here is a link...there a guides for all distance goals.

http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51130/Half-Marathon-Training-Guide

I wish you the best of work...good luck with your workouts![/quote]

Thanks so much!
  • maxtheminimalist
    Options
    Hello.
    I'm Max. I'm quite new to running and still focusing on building stamina and endurance - maybe one day I'll get around to focusing on speed, but no promises ;)
    I set myself a challenge to run 1000km this year, and I've managed to get 17% of that distance out of the way so far. But I know myself well, and I'm vulnerable to falling off the running wagon, so I'm making as many connections as I can to try and really embed this new 'hobby' (or perhaps 'lifestyle' is a better word?)
    Anyway, I'm in my 40's, live in Scotland, and usually run on my local track. I've registered for a virtual race in May, but I'm also seriously considering doing a race 'in the wild' before the year is out, if I build up the nerve. Maybe that can be a second goal for me?
    Anyway, I'm on Garmin Connect, also as 'maxtheminimalist' - it would be nice to meet some MFPers along the way.
    All the best,
    Max
  • xxx_Pink_Princess_xxx
    Options
    Hey I'm Pink, I started running in 2011. I started by doing C25K and ran my first marathon in 2014. I got married last year so took a bit of a running break. Im back now though and have my first marathon in 10 and a bit weeks (Madrid) I am dreading the heat difference between here and spain though! I have entered the Ballot for NY marathon and plan on doing Loch Ness again this year xxx
  • nicolekeever
    nicolekeever Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Nicole. I started running in 2010 and then took a break but I'm back at it. I have run a couple of 5K's and I'm training for my 1st Half in May.
  • Dibbsa
    Dibbsa Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Sandra, 46, live in London, UK. Completed a 4 miler this morning, after following an app Couch25K since January. I've done marathons in the past (1995, 96 and 2007) but in the last couple of years have been lazy and not watching my food or alcohol intake. With the help of MyFitnessPal, my Jawbone Up3 fitness band and the app I've now lost 21lbs over the last 7 weeks and got back up to a half decent distance running. I've just put in for a 10k in July and would like to do a half marathon in September, the Great North Run, which one of the UK's biggest half marathons.
  • TaraTall
    TaraTall Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Hey all! I'm Tara and I'm trying out the running thing here once I get my treadmill in the basement. My plan is to pop on a show (got the box set of Glee - judge me haha!) and use that time on the treadmill ~40 min. I play soccer so I am used to running but when I'm chasing something not just....running.

When did you guys notice a change in your mentality from 'having' to run to wanting to run and actually enjoying it? I love the post exercise feel but running have be difficult to motivate yourself for I've found.
  • kmbrvt99
    kmbrvt99 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone! I'm Kristy and live in San Diego so I'm fortunate to be able to run outdoors almost year round. Currently training for the Shamrock 15k on March 13 in Portland Oregon. Favorite race - Kauai half marathon! If you have never been, I highly recommend it.
  • Jonesie1984
    Jonesie1984 Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm Jonesie. I decided I will become a runner this year. I downloaded the Nike Running app on a suggestion of a friend and was surprised I ran 49 miles this month! Before this last month I've never walk/jogged more than 5 miles at a time. I've recently started doing 6 mile runs and I think I'm starting to like it!

I'm looking forward to participating with you all! :smile:
  • MLS1582
    MLS1582 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Maria. I ran for fun and fitness in college. I pretty much quit running after that, and I gained almost 100 lbs when I became a mom. Now, I've been married for more than a decade, my son is almost 7, and I'm finally dropping the baby weight and getting back to running. I started with C25K in July, ran my 1st 5K over Labor Day (42:02), and had so much fun I registered to do a half marathon at the same race this year! I've dropped 50+ pounds and can run 3.1 miles in about 36 minutes now. I'm building up my base to start half marathon training sometime in May. I currently run close to 15 miles a week and am still working on dropping my last 50 lbs.
  • TriniDiva_PA
    TriniDiva_PA Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Sharon. I started running back in 2001 to maintain a significant weight loss. My weight has fluctuated over the years, but thanks to MFP and some awesome Fitbit friends, I am back to my goal weight and I'm excited to add some new runs to my calendar for 2016.
  • dominichoran
    dominichoran Posts: 18 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Just discovered this intro page: Dominic (Dom) from Ireland. Back running since 2008, annual mileage 2008 - 1,282; 2009 - 1,912; 2010 - 2,004; 2011 - 2,228; 2012 - 2,400; 2013 - 3,000; 2014 - 3,001; 2015 - 3,031.
    Currently training for the Manchester marathon (Apr 10th), planning to get to the start line healthy and smash it. Will also run anything from 800m - 50k, favorite distance is 5k (M45 PB - 16:52). Training has been solid since Jan averaging 80 miles per week, the cake is almost baked, I'm getting icing ready :wink:
  • CariTJR
    CariTJR Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I joined in the Feb running challenge but only just discovered this group! I'm Cari and I live in Hertfordshire (UK). I used to run years ago quite regularly, but have just recently got back into it as a means of helping with my weight loss, and just getting fitter. I also find I like the 'me' time, and the fact that I don't need a gym or set classes to run, I can just put my gear on and go. I recently joined a local Running Club too, I only run with them once a week and try and get out twice a week more on my own. I'm hoping to build up my stamina and aim for running a 5k in April.
  • emryan3
    emryan3 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm Ed, looking to get back into shape after having been sidelined for a while by an injury and laziness. My goal is an under 4 hour marathon in October. I have completed 3 marathons so far but have not been able to reach my 4:00:00 goal. I am looking to lose weight so there's less of me to carry across the finish line too!
  • KSR1212
    KSR1212 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am Kathy. I have had a seven year hiatus from running and I want to get back into it again. It is harder because I am older and heavier, but I am stopping with the excuses. This month of March I am working towards being able to run a 5K. Currently can go for 1.5 miles.