jilliancreates a journey of releasing weight and attracting health.

Options

Replies

• PrimalJillian
    PrimalJillian Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    kettiecat wrote: »
    I put heavy whipping cream in my morning coffee.

I wish I could, but I'm very sensitive to dairy proteins. When I have coconut milk, I use that though... The stuff in the can meant for cooking, not from the containers meant for drinking.
  • PrimalJillian
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I got up and did my bodyweight training this morning before anyone else in the house was awake. It felt really good to get it out of the way, and my mood is better when I start my day out with physical activity of any kind.

For breakfast, we were on the go. I had my protein shake, but was rushed out the door and decided my idea of having a serving of coconut & peanut spread was the easiest thing to take with me. I could have planned better, but the peanut butter was good. I had to add in a heavier morning snack, which I don't always need. I ended up finding some natural beef jerky and had a serving of that to hold me over until lunch at Panera. Tomorrow, I'll try another option for a more filling breakfast.

I didn't want to go for my walk because it's really cold. I've walked in colder weather, but I just wasn't feeling it today. I tried to get my partner to go with me, but instead we went and got memberships at the local hospital fitness center. I used a treadmill for an hour, and it was nice to see my heart rate and be able to adjust my speed and incline accordingly. We're going again tomorrow, and I am planning to walk through and try out each type of maching there. Some, I've never seen, but what the heck. I'll never know how to use them if I don't try. As much as I love walking, treadmills get a bit boring to me because of the lack of scenery. I'm thinking that rotating through what machine I'm using will help reduce the boredom of being indoors.

AND...they have a TRX class! Ok, maybe not a big deal to anyone living in a city with multiple fitness centers, but we live in a rural area smack in the middle of a farming county...organic farming, but farming nonetheless. Usually, to find stuff like this, we'd have to drive 40 miles to get there. Now, we can go 6 blocks! We can't sign up for a session quite yet because of money, but we are planning to at least go as drop ins within the next month or so.
  • kettiecat
    kettiecat Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    A fitness center at a hospital sounds like a great resource for you. When you try out all the machines you'll have to report back to us which ones you found most helpful/intimidating/ridiculous!
  • PrimalJillian
    Options
    kettiecat wrote: »
    A fitness center at a hospital sounds like a great resource for you. When you try out all the machines you'll have to report back to us which ones you found most helpful/intimidating/ridiculous!

I definitely will!

I found this on the bodyweight training site that I use. I feel it's applicable to most types of training, but mostly want to post it here because I'm on here more than I'm on the training website....

Twelve principles of bodyweight training

1. Master your body
    It’s not about how much you can lift, but whether you can move and control your own bodyweight in the first place.

2. Progressive overload does not discriminate.
    It does not matter if you lift iron or your own bodyweight ; for the same weight lifted (or equivalent mechanical disadvantage) your strength gains will be the same!

3. Stay out of the comfort zone
    Work on your weaknesses: chances are, you’ve been avoiding certain movements and patterns all your life simply because you weren’t very good at them. This will create imbalances in the long run, and stall your progress. Venture out of your comfort zone: it’s the only way to grow and improve!

4. Beware of dogma
    There are no firm rules when it comes to training, just general parameters from which –as individuals- we are free to stray. Beware of dogmatic approaches, and don’t be scared to experiment and see what works for you.

5. Enjoy it
    The best routine is the one you’re going to stick to. If you don’t enjoy what you’re doing, your will power will only take you so far before you give up.

6. Train movement before muscles
    Concern yourself less with aesthetics, and more with the quality of your movement.

7. Take your time
    You will max out on your progressions much sooner than you think! Use micro-increments. Stop aiming for instant results, and enjoy the journey. Give your tendons, ligaments and connective tissue time to adapt. Make your training a lifelong habit.

8. Explore your ROM
    A pull up which does not start from a deadhang, and does not finish above the bar is only a half pull up.

9. Move
    A pull up is only half a muscle up. When you start linking exercises together, you start to move.

10. Think strong and light
    Bear in mind your power-to-weight ratio: it will serve you well in most other sports and activities.

11. Fitness is not a commodity
    We live under the illusion that fitness is a commodity, and that it can be bought… it can’t.

12. Play for results
    You do not need a gym and you do not need fancy equipment. By all means, buy what you need, but you really do not need much. Play with what you have: a tree in the park, a staircase, a bench. Don’t pay for results, play for them!
  • PrimalJillian
    Options
    I just realized how funny it looks that I'm talking about going to the gym to use the machines and also posting principles of my strength training saying that I don't need a gym and fancy machines. For me, gym = cardio during crummy weather...other than, hopefully, the TRX class. :wink:
  • PrimalJillian
    Options
    I had kind of a rough morning. I had my protein shake, but had forgotten the coconut milk for the chia yogurt so ended up eating a serving of peanut butter again. I spent most of the morning in bed feeling a bit nauseous and light-headed...almost a headache, but not quite. I thought maybe my blood sugar was low, which would be weird considering the dietary plan I'm on....but I had to at least consider it as a possibility. I had some beef jerky to see if that would help. I felt better for less than an hour, and started to feel nauseous again. I had a late lunch, now worried that I may actually be getting sick and wanting to avoid the pain of having a full stomach to, well, you get my drift. Lunch worked fine, and again I felt ok for awhile. Went to the store...still forgot the darn coconut milk, and felt very light headed. So, I got home and started looking into what is going on, and I never would have considered the most likely source. Since I know I'm ovulating, I looked up potential symptoms (I use a tracker, so I don't guess based on how I feel.)...anyway, it turns out that nausea and headaches are common symptoms! What? I have never experienced this before, at least not that I'm aware of. I'm relieved that I'm not getting sick, but a tiny bit disappointed in how much hormonal fluctuations interfere with my progress, and for nearly half of every month.

I forced myself to go to the gym for a bit of cardio, especially since I was over my calories. Jeff had thought they were open until 9, so we waited until a time when I was feeling ok again and headed there. We got there at 7:40, and it turned out that they close at 8 on Thursday nights. I did a few minutes on an elliptical machine then hopped on a treadmill for a jog. I'm really not a runner, but sometimes it feels good to go harder than a walking pace, even if it's only slightly faster. I didn't have enough time to try out other machines, but we're planning to go tomorrow during off-peak hours. Hopefully, it'll be fairly empty and I can learn my way around the machines.
  • LottieStanley
    LottieStanley Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Wow it's great that your husband goes with you to the gym. Love reading your posts.
  • smiphette
    smiphette Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I am really impressed that you went in and worked out. After the day you had, it would have been easy to skip it, especially when they were closing early. Kudos for getting it done!
  • PrimalJillian
    Options
    Jeff has been a gym rat for around 15 years with a few breaks here and there. I actually had to drag him there this week! We haven't had gym memberships for about 4 months, and once that much time passes it gets easier and easier to make excuses to put off going back. I'm glad we upgraded to the hospital's wellness center though. The staff is nice...from what I can tell after only 2 visits. Our previous gym gave us free membership for 2 years because we're both veterans, but there was no staff. Just a key code to an old, school gymnasium with some free weights, a few weight machines and a handful of threadmills. The atmosphere wasn't great either because it was in an underground level of the old school with horrible lighting. At the hospital, one whole wall is floor to ceiling windows on the second floor. I guess the one pitfall so far is that we don't have 24 hour access. Not that we usually need that option, but sometimes it just doesn't work to get there before closing time. They closed at 6 tonight and it's around 0*F and windy outside, so I missed my cardio today. I plan to go to the gym tomorrow morning since they will close at 1, I believe. If I can't make it there, I'll do a video workout at home.

I did get up and do my strength training this morning, so I made it all 3 days. Next week may be more challenging. This is my week with my 2 youngest kids home. I have to get up earlier with them for school than I do when they are with their dad. I haven't decided yet if I want to still try for getting that workout in before the rest of the house is awake, or if I will modify the goal to do the workout immediately after I get them to school. Will think on that one over the weekend.

I joined a group on here where you can track and share your walk/run/bike mileage in relation to walking through middle earth with Bilbo or Frodo. There's a website that has it all laid out so you know that if you go X number of miles you'd be at a certain location from the stories. So cool! I love it.

My biggest loser challenge group has weigh in on Sundays, and I'm feeling a little bummed about my weight not really dropping. In fact, it's gone up a few pounds since I reached that 30 pound loss milestone. I'm retaining water because of ovulating and because of muscles repairing themselves, but even considering that, the scale is not being very nice to me the whole past week. I'll do measurements again on Sunday too, so maybe there will be progress there. I did notice the other day that my calves have shrunk. I haven't been measuring specifically, but I put on a pair of leg warmers that I used to have to squeeze my legs into and now they slide right on. I might start measuring there too.
  • PrimalJillian
    Options
    Today was pretty good for food, but I didn't get "formal" workout in. I did some housework that was not part of the normal cleaning, so I figure that's better than sitting for most of the day. Had a friend and her daughter over for dinner. I made everyone chocolate peanut butter waffles and bacon...everyone but me. I made my go-to meal with no animal proteins. I can have bacon anytime and waffles are good, but there aren't good enough to account for the major carb load.

I was thinking about the idea of putting a skinny picture on the refrigerator, but I figured I'd just not see it after awhile. Things tend to blend together because we stop noticing the finer details; they get lost in the scenery. I don't want my super-motivating skinny pic to become an invisible, unnoticed wallflower. Since I'm on here several times a day, I figure this is the next best, if not the best, place to put it up. Here, I do look at the pictures because they draw my attention before the words on the screen do. Hopefully, having the skinny pic as my profile image will help get me through these motivation-sucking plateaus when I want nothing more than to say yes to the chocolate peanut butter waffles and request a refund for my gym membership fee.
  • totaldetermination
    totaldetermination Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on getting the three days of early workouts in. You're on your way to being one of those early-birds :smile:.

I think that cooking such delicious food for everyone else and not eating any of it takes real discipline; and housework definitely counts towards calories burned. If not for your healthy choices, it could have been a more sedentary day, finished with a high-carb / high calorie dinner. so thats a great success on your part !

PS - gorgeous photo :smile:.
  • LottieStanley
    Options
    Wow love your picture. You have more willpower than I do. Because I'm alone I've removed all the foods that trigger me out of the house. So my willpower hasn't been tested at home. I am motivated by your journey !
  • PrimalJillian
    Options
    I am seriously being tested on this journey. I'm too the point of being pissed off about having GAINED about 8 pounds in 10 days even though I'm doing ALL off the same things I've been doing. Grr. I'm not giving up, but man this sucks. I'm at a loss as far as figuring out any kind of cause for the major gain. No sodium overload. No carb overload. No dehydration. No hormonal events. No binge eating. No new meds or med adjustments. No sore muscles in recovery. I was over my calories once in 10 days. I just don't understand. I have a medical scale on wood flooring that's connected to cellular modem computer transmitting to the local VA hospital. I'd think that they'd notice the trend and question it, but maybe I just need to call and ask if it ever needs to be recalibrated. They're closed today, so I'll plan on calling tomorrow.

I made it to the gym today and restarted C25K. It's been several months, so I figured I'd start back at the beginning. I was able to run an average speed of 4.7mph. I've got some work to do to get back to running at about 5.8mph. When I was done on the treadmill, I went over to the rowing machines and did 4 minutes of tabata sprints. It's the first time I've tried it, but I really liked it and I think I'll plan on ending all of my gym workouts with that. I still need to get my bodyweight training in for the day. I'm wishing I would have gotten it done early this morning, but 6am was just not calling my name. I will make it happen tonight though, and try harder to get up really early on Wednesday. Will be continuing to work on that goal this week as well as aiming for HIIT/Tabata training daily.

• 50extra
    50extra Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    Jillian don't get discouraged at the weight. I have spent days reading through success stories on here and most of them hit spots where they just stop losing fr a while. Different people do different things to get over it. Some eat more for a couple days, some change their exercise, some lay off exercise for a bit. Just try different things to see what your body needs to get back to losing. You got this!
  • LottieStanley
    Options
    I have heard what 50extra said too. It's like your body needs to be tricked. It sounds crazy but it's worked for friends of mine that hit plateaus. You've worked so hard don't let it get you down.
  • PrimalJillian
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement. It's one of the many things I enjoy about this group. I have also heard of tricking the body by changing things up for 2 or 3 days. Right now, I'm trying the HIIT workouts mostly in the form of Tabata rowing. We'll see if the high intensity will give my metabolism a kick in the *kitten*. My weight was down a bit this morning, but it might take some time to get back to that low point depending on how well the new workout addition works. Right now, this is what my workout schedule looks like...

M/W/F
    30 minutes Bodyweight training (aiming for early a.m.)
    30 minutes C25K
    4 minutes Tabata Rowing

T/Th
    30 minutes Basic, moderate paced walk (get my heart rate to 60-70% max)
    4 minutes Tabat Rowing

I haven't decided what I want to do on weekends. I've been working out daily, other than 3 days in the last month. It's easier for me to stick with every day exercise. I'm thinking that the intensity can be adjusted based on how I'm feeling.

One thing I noticed on my "take it easy" treadmill walk today is that I really want to push myself. On one hand, that is a great for my journey to better health. However, on days when my goal is truly to let my body have a break while still getting some movement in, wanting to push push push might not be a good thing.
  • cmr3399
    cmr3399 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Wow...just read thru your entire journal. Such an inspiration. I see so much of myself in what you have said. Thank you so much for sharing. Makes me feel less alone in this. All of this great support and motivation is great. Now if I can put it to good use.
  • PrimalJillian
    Options
    It is great to have so much support and motivation from others in the same boat. We're all in this together, even if it is only via technology. Thank you for the compliment; I'm glad my story can be an inspiration to anyone who finds it as such. I feel like we're all here inspiring each other. Mutual inspiration. Personally, my catch phrase is mutual spiritual inspiration. Not spiritual as in religious, but spiritual as in "I need to be all in and in touch with who I am or this life(or any particular option in life) is not going to work in my favor."

I got up early and did bodyweight training this morning. Kids got up and started getting ready for school while I was still working out, but that was ok. I made it to the gym for C25K and Tabata Rowing. I'm beat. Wish I could nap, but almost time to get kids from school. Maybe I can pull off and early bedtime tonight.

I just had a snack that I haven't had in over a year, and I forgot how much I like it even though it's crumbley and messy. Toasted Onion Seasnax! Seriously awesome. I logged both servings that are in the package and I want to eat them both now, but I need to save it for a light evening snack....oh well, making the goodness last...mmmmmm
  • PrimalJillian
    Options
    I've had a great couple of days. Exercising daily has been going well. Took Thursday off from a formal workout and danced around the house to loud music while I did some extra cleaning. I've typically only been eating back a small portion of my exercise calories unless I feel like I really need to eat something more, but often I find that I'm not going hungry by not eating back those calories. Last night, Jeff and I drove about an hour and a half to go have a birthday celebration with one of my best friends who was born on the exact same day as me. We went to a small Mexican restaurant and then to a movie. I ALWAYS get popcorn at the theatre, so I logged that first and used the rest of my calories and macros to plan what I could eat. Anything with dairy, beans, or rice as a main ingredient was out. We ended up getting a big fajita platter with 4 meats and the typical veggies. I was really conservative with my portions of fajita beef, chicken, and shrimp. I also had the little lettuce/pico de gallo/guacamole salad that sits next to the beans and rice, a side of guacamole, and 2 small fajita tortillas. Of course we also had to have birthday drinks, but I opted for a lime margarita instead of strawberry or mango and got the smallest size. The wait staff came out to sing to us and brought tequilla shots too. Whew! We had a good time, and I only went over my calories by 40.

Today, Jeff and I went to get pedicures and new running shoes for me. We went to Applebee's, so that was another experience of picking from a menu to fit my calories AND macros. Ended up getting Bourbon Street Chicken & Shrimp with steamed veggies in place of the roasted potatoes. I could actually only eat half of the meal. When we ordered, it turned out that we got items from the 2 for $20 menu so got a free appetizer...that's a slippery slope. Asian Sweet & Spicy boneless chicken wings. I did the research first and decided that I was only allowed 1 piece. Yep, just 1. I did it. I wanted more, but really decided ahead of time that the consequences were just not worth it. I also got a free Red Apple Sangria as their birthday special. That would have put me over my calories and carbs, but when they brought it out it was much larger than I had expected....and it was terribly sweet. I sipped on it through our meal, and left half of it on the table when we left.

My final look at my nutrients after dinner showed that I was significantly low on protein and fat....and calories too, for that matter. I hadn't eaten my pre-exercise amount yet. I joked with Jeff that my evening snack would have to be 2 slices of bacon....except I wasn't joking. Such a wierd concept sometimes, to eat more fat to lose fat...but it's obviously working. Anyway, had my bacon and kombucha for my evening snack and finished my day with 214 calories to spare.

The scale has been going down consistently for a few days now, and if it continues at the current rate, I could be back at that low point in about a week...whhhheeeeen I'll have another hormonal water retention event....so maybe that low point will be in a week and a half or so. :smile:
  • LottieStanley
    Options
    The planning you do is a key to you success. I am going to strive to be more like you :D