Did you swim today?

Options

Replies

• 60sPanda
    60sPanda Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Mixed sort of swim this morning. 1km free. 250m sprint, rest, 200m, 150, 100, 50 and repeat. All good.
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Slacker workout this morning. I was going to have to take the bus to work today as Darlin' Hoosband had the car for something else.

1550 42:24

It felt beautiful just to swim without pushing hard. While it's a bit irritating that the difference between just relaxing and gliding v. pushing like crazy is really only a couple of seconds per 100, it does have me rethinking my training a bit.
  • gentlygently
    gentlygently Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    At last - a chance to be back in the pool. 40 mins, I guess about 1K (not counting). Quite a few moments of 'just one more lap' (!), but overall a good swim and I felt suitable tired after.

Managed to get the earphones to stay in this time (after a bit of gogle support!), now I have to battle with getting the nano thingy to play the right podcast....(downloaded a few 'story' episodes, all 75 mins long, not sure how to get to be mid-episode either ..). Fiddling with controls behind my right ear Is proving a bit hit and miss so far! But having a story during the swim is great.
  • SwimmyD
    SwimmyD Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I just posted a question to this wonderful group in a new thread. Any tips to get faster? Thanks!
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Monday and Tuesday-- 54 laps/~72 minutes
  • AquaticQuests
    AquaticQuests Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Today 46 minutes of sprints with some school kids!
    Hard work, but the sprints I did on my own certainly helped as they were harder than these so I was able to keep up, except the butterfly lengths where I was faster initially but by the last lengths, I couldn't complete a length of butterfly!

I haven't swum butterfly or backstroke in a long while and it showed. So I guess the joint training was good, so my body gets used to the butterfly, back and breast again, rather than just the usual freestyle!
  • gentlygently
    gentlygently Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Go AQ !

( Actually I misread this totally (I've had a bit of a day..,) and genuinely thought you meant you were at an athletics track running hard with a bunch of teenagers..... I think it was me realising I was trying to work out how to do butterfly on a track dry land that made me realise it was really time to hit the sack..! Just don't tell anyone, ok? )

• juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    Lessons, Mixed Drills. Since my Backstroke is my Weakest Stroke overall and my front call kick does not qualify as a kick that's what I have been concentrating on.
    1200m 50 mins. only 6 people of 10 showed up so lots of space in the lanes.
    Legs are dragging today as some fool was in Edmonton on the weekend for the Hypothermic Half Marathon 185 / 416. 2:12:59:00. Pretty much a duplicate to my previous Half Marathon Time.
  • nuffer
    nuffer Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Our neighborhood pool is being nice and letting a youth swim team practice during our (usually) light evening lap swim. Being in the pool next to really fast kids is kind of fun. They separate them from us mostly old and slowpokes. Having to share lanes with other lap swimmers is not so much fun. I know, I'm spoiled. Anyhow, being next to the fast kids netted me a PR for 100y. Then cramps set in and I couldn't quite make my target. 2950 yds in 66 minutes swim time.
  • 60sPanda
    Options
    Slightly shorter swim this morning (had to get into work a little earlier than normal). 250m warm-up, 2 x 100m sprints, 10x50m sprints, 6 x 75m sprints (all my sprints now incorporate tumble turns as I never used to bother with them) then a few more mixed lengths and at that point I lost count.
  • PulpFaction
    PulpFaction Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Forgot to post yesterdays swim!
    1800m in 50 mins

300 mixed warmup
    100 kick
    3x100 IM
    100 kick
    4x50 free on 60s
    400 free with fins
    100 kick
    300 mixed cool down

Went in the evening to the outdoor pool which was a bit of a change as I normally do a morning swim. It was so much busier! I'm out of practice swimming with lots of other people making splashes and managed to almost drown myself on several occasions with mistimed breaths. On the plus side I got to use my new fins for the first time. I had to adjust my tempo a bit to accommodate them and think it will take a few goes to find the correct stroke and timing rhythm to use with them.
  • NoelFigart1
    Options
    1550 41:35
  • UG77
    UG77 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    1000m 60min, all freestyle.

Forcing myself to not rotate to other less demanding strokes for "resting" had a couple of notable impacts this morning. Obviously, I didn't get in as many laps. What I consider more important though is that I improved my technique a lot during the laps I did do. There's much to be said in the exhaustion/desperation that comes from just pushing on ahead in that it really makes you aware of where you're wasting energy and thus oxygen. My posture improved, my kicking improved, and my breathing control greatly improved. Now to just start out with that on Friday.
  • mpeters1965
    mpeters1965 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I'm still lacking in enthusiasm for swimming but I swam about 45 minutes, mixed sets this morning. Did 6 timed 50-yard sets in the middle of it all trying to get faster each time. That never seems to work but I started at 1:08 on the first and stayed around 1:04ish for the remaining 5. I didn't have it in me to all-out sprint this morning and that's what it takes to get me under a minute. That and a faster pool. I didn't used to believe there was a difference but I seem to have better times in our other pool and at the few other Y's I have visited in the state.

Good job everybody! I still like to read what you all are doing even though I haven't felt like doing much myself. :smile:
  • AquaticQuests
    AquaticQuests Posts: 945 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Wednesday - laborious 2.5 km about 57 min
    Today
    Warm up - 165 m
    10 x 66m on 1:45
    10 x 33m on 0:50
    10x 33m on 0:50
    Warm down - 165 m

In the past 2 weeks I have lost 2 of 5 stubborn kilos I gained in the run up to December which I've been trying to lose ever since. So I'm suspecting the interval training has shaken things up and activated some losses!
    Happy about that!
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    That and a faster pool. I didn't used to believe there was a difference but I seem to have better times in our other pool and at the few other Y's I have visited in the state.
    One of the Pools I go to has a 10 meter Diving platform so it is really deep = nice and cold, and I always swim faster in it than in my home pool.

Swim Lessons tonight. Multiple drills. 1200 meters. Flip Turn Still needs work, Backstroke Turn doesn't exist.
    Diving entry off the deck I have the Belly Flop and Chest Smack perfected. One drill I really enjoy is the Stroke Count - Max Distance - Timed. They would time a 60 stroke swim and approximately measure our distance in meters, the goal was to travel as far as possible with the minimum time. So you get a Meters/sec and a Meters/Stroke ratio. This really helps give us a feel for Stroke Efficiency.
  • 60sPanda
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I am out of the water for a few days at the moment. I have developed my first ever stye in my eye - and unfortunately for me it is right where my goggles sit so I can't wear them (too painful). Hopefully it clears up quickly!
  • PulpFaction
    PulpFaction Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    2km (whoohoo!) in 45 mins

400 mixed warmup
    400 kick with fins
    4x100 IM with 20s
    200 kick
    4x50 free on 60s
    100 kick
    300 mixed cool down

I got to swim for free this morning which was awesome. There was a bunch of Uni students at the pool dressed in bright colours to raise awareness for mental illness. The lifeguard on duty at reception knew I wasn't with them but told me to pretend I was so I could go in for free. Score!
  • aliciamariaq
    aliciamariaq Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    3.3 km in 90 minutes
    400 warm up
    8 x (50 + 100) on 1:40 for 100m 50s for 50m
    3 x 200 on 3:20 (the 1st and 3rd 200 broken up into 4x50)
    4 x 100 kick with fins, sprint last 25m
    4x100 IM on 2min
    300m cool down.

I was really pleased with this workout because it was really really tough and wanted to give up a couple of times but didn't. Also, there were a few people in my lane that I struggled to keep up with a couple of months ago and last night I was in front of them. Getting stronger....

• NoelFigart1
    Options
    1550 42:50

This was an awful swim. But then, in another way, it wasn't.

My shoulders were tighter than a tentrope in the rain, I had to share a lane with a women, who while a lovely person, is flat-out the clumsiest swimmer I have ever seen in my life. Nuttin wrong with being a clumsy swimmer, mind. It's just that swimming by her meant I had to watch out for her crossing the middle of the lane, random sideways kicks and so on.

But, hey, she paid as much to be in the pool as I did, so... I'm not going to be That Person, yaknow?

Anyway, my shoulders are tight, I am tenser than usual when I started swimming and I was feeling cranky and kind of clumsy, myself, in the water.

But I still did the best I was capable of in that moment (even if it was hardly brilliant). And I know come June, whether or not TODAY was a brilliant swim won't mean a thing.

That I got in, did my planned distance and stuck with it? Oh yeah, that's going to matter a great deal.