MARCH SQUAT CHALLENGE Starts week of march 1 or whenever.

Options
Okay squat lovers here we go for our first monthly challenge. What? You are not a squat lover??? Well me either but love what it does for my legs, hips, and ahem.. our buns! so go ahead and give it a shot and see how you can do, I bet you can surprise yourself.

gzvavbgyac52.jpg

Replies

• mandyloose123
    mandyloose123 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Truth be told, I hate squats and lunges. My balance is terrible and spend most of my effort trying not to fall over. I am hoping that the more I do the more I will appreciate them. I'm looking forward to March and the new challenges
  • nicholemurphy87
    nicholemurphy87 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I'm down for this !! I'm new !
  • Melodieccurn
    Melodieccurn Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    I'm down for this !! I'm new !

Awesome Nichole!
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    Is this in conjunction, in addition, or something else to the 10-week challenge? I'll join in ... but I have bad knees and can not do full squats as shown ... mine are modified so as not to put too much pressure on my knees.
  • Melodieccurn
    Options
    There are lots of activities . The only thing mandatory is the weighin . We are all at different fitness levels. I know you are not able to do a lot but just do the ones you can or cheer on the ones that need support. I have one member from last group who is expecting and she is just doing the cheer leader capacity due to her condition. That is why these groups are needed, accountabilty will come but support only in the positive sense will propel you to reach your goals.
  • lupie777
    lupie777 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I have never done a squat challenge due to knee issues but I have spent 8 weeks strengthening my muscles and I think I'm ready. I'm doing it and I'm making my little sis do it with me!
  • LastChanceRobin
    LastChanceRobin Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I am excited!!!!!!!
  • Nikion901
    Options
    mallowbar wrote: »
    There are lots of activities . The only thing mandatory is the weighin . We are all at different fitness levels. I know you are not able to do a lot but just do the ones you can or cheer on the ones that need support. I have one member from last group who is expecting and she is just doing the cheer leader capacity due to her condition. That is why these groups are needed, accountabilty will come but support only in the positive sense will propel you to reach your goals.

Ok ... So now I understand that there will be other challenges and I should not expect myself to join each of them. Thanks for the explaination. Are you creating spreadsheets for each of the individual challenges as well or is there no formal reporting on those? ... this is a lot of coordination and tracking work you have taken on with this challenge ... good thing the spreadsheets are shared so it's up to each participant to enter their stats.
  • carsonlinds1990
    carsonlinds1990 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Okay so I don't LOVE squats, but I tolerate them! I will be participating in this one!
  • Melodieccurn
    Options
    Spreadsheet for amazing race will be done with individual teams but no spreadsheet for each challenge. You can post under the thread if you want and edit as you go.
  • vazquezmom7
    vazquezmom7 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Okay so I don't LOVE squats, but I tolerate them! I will be participating in this one!

Just be careful. I think you said you were pregnant. With my last delivery, the contractions started at 5:30, did some squats, to get things going
    , baby was born 7:30. No epidural, infact they didn't even have time to hook me up to an i.v. :-)
  • SomersMom
    SomersMom Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm in! I'd rather start with 10 on day #1, but 50 it is! ;)
  • bevkidd1
    bevkidd1 Posts: 265 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I would like to join as well...am new to squats but if I do them every day I may get used to them eventually. At least that's what I'm hoping for! My ankles are not the best but I will do the best I can!
  • visionmet
    visionmet Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I started it early. Figured while I killed myself doing the assessment test I might as well throw that in too. Lmao I'm so much more out of shape than I had previously thought. Good to have a starting point. But those squats....
  • SamandaIndia
    SamandaIndia Posts: 1,577 Member
    Options
    SomersMom wrote: »
    I'm in! I'd rather start with 10 on day #1, but 50 it is! ;)

Please avoid burn out or leg jello by starting early n building up. No point in doing 2 days at 50 squats then walking around like a duck!

Trust me here, from one experiencex duck! start at a little more than where you feel like stopping then if the challenge adds 10 the next day, do that on top of your starting point not theirs. If 10 more is too much, again just do what you can.

If you start with 10 in good form that is safer for your body and you are more likely to stick with the challenge n be able to also do the amazing race etc. The idea is to challenge n have fun not bust ourselves.

Dont mean to lecture but I sincerely do not want anyone in our initial enthusiasm over doing it and getting hurt or very sore. Now going to waddle off to the gym.... quak quak quak
  • ruffalicious
    ruffalicious Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    do we need to do the exact amount of squat listed per day or that's only a minimum? thanks. new to this :blush:
  • SamandaIndia
    SamandaIndia Posts: 1,577 Member
    Options
    @ruffalicious do the amount of squats that you can do with good form, safely. This bit is for each individual to challenge themselves a little bit further each day. With the amazing race @mallowbar will be clear on what is expected for each week.
  • nvygrl
    nvygrl Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Is there a type of squat you can do that is arthritis in the knee friendly?
  • Nikion901
    edited February 2016
    Options
    nvygrl wrote: »
    Is there a type of squat you can do that is arthritis in the knee friendly?

I have the same issue ... any one have any exercise form advice?

The link below is from the Arthritis Foundation for the proper way to do a squat exercise against a wall.

http://www.arthritis.org/living-with-arthritis/pain-management/joint-protection/squat-correctly.php
  • AnnmarieSimmons
    AnnmarieSimmons Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I'm in, I'm going to start today, no time like the present. Good luck everyone :smiley: