March 2016 - Move Your @ss Challenge

Replies

• sufferlandrian
    sufferlandrian Posts: 8,166 Member
    Going for 200 miles this month. That's going to be tough since I have a conference in Vegas for a week. I'd rather stay home and ride but I can't keep my license if I don't go to CE. Better now than in August when we are really busy.
  • postolache
    postolache Posts: 187 Member
    My goal for March will be only 70km because of my L4-L5 and L5-S1 hernia :(
  • vhuber
    vhuber Posts: 8,779 Member
    My goal is 200. Got in 10 at 4:30 this morning on ex bike.
    Fighting a bug AGAIN. I really believe stress kills my immunity.

exercise.png
  • Tazzythatsme
    Tazzythatsme Posts: 211 Member
    edited March 2016

exercise.png

Please forgive , I had forgotten to post . Forgot Feb short month
  • Tazzythatsme
    Tazzythatsme Posts: 211 Member
    edited March 2016
    My goal for March 100 miles

exercise.png

5 miles done
    5/100 miles
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    edited March 2016
    I'm gonna try to 60 miles this month. Maybe I'll make it.

On a related issue, I'm (re)posting this for additional input. Dave and company, I apologize for co-opt the group for this, but I'm not getting much response elsewhere...

I posted this yesterday in the FitBit group, but no responses, so I'm gonna try again here.... (apologies for the wall of text)

I recently (early February) took a part-time retail sales job (in addition to my FT desk job). Prior to this, I would walk most evenings 2-3miles, logging an average of 13000 steps/day. I don't have FitBit synced with MFP and only manually log my exercise calorie burn (i.e. calories burned during an intentional walk, complete with sneakers).

Since I started my PT job, my evening walks have been curtailed, as I work 2-3 evenings a week (5:30pm - 9:30pm). However, even on the days I work during the evenings, I get 13000-15000 steps. Today I got to my PT jobs at about 7500 steps, when I got home I'm now at 14000 steps.

I want to log the calories burned since I am fairly active, walking the sales floor for 4 hours. Should I consider walking the sales floor for 4 hours equivalent to my walking workouts which burn about 400cals (3miles, 1hr @ 3mph)? I want to take advantage of the activity level of my PT job, but want to be realistic. I'm also a member of the MFP Move Your @$$ Challenge and didn't make my goal of 60 miles for February b/c I only log my "walking workouts" rather than total FitBit miles. Maybe log 2.5 "miles" on the evenings I work??
  • darkrider42
    darkrider42 Posts: 5,302 Member

On a related issue, I'm (re)posting this for additional input. Dave and company, I apologize for co-opt the group for this, but I'm not getting much response elsewhere...

I posted this yesterday in the FitBit group, but no responses, so I'm gonna try again here.... (apologies for the wall of text)

I recently (early February) took a part-time retail sales job (in addition to my FT desk job). Prior to this, I would walk most evenings 2-3miles, logging an average of 13000 steps/day. I don't have FitBit synced with MFP and only manually log my exercise calorie burn (i.e. calories burned during an intentional walk, complete with sneakers).

Since I started my PT job, my evening walks have been curtailed, as I work 2-3 evenings a week (5:30pm - 9:30pm). However, even on the days I work during the evenings, I get 13000-15000 steps. Today I got to my PT jobs at about 7500 steps, when I got home I'm now at 14000 steps.

I want to log the calories burned since I am fairly active, walking the sales floor for 4 hours. Should I consider walking the sales floor for 4 hours equivalent to my walking workouts which burn about 400cals (3miles, 1hr @ 3mph)? I want to take advantage of the activity level of my PT job, but want to be realistic. I'm also a member of the MFP Move Your @$$ Challenge and didn't make my goal of 60 miles for February b/c I only log my "walking workouts" rather than total FitBit miles. Maybe log 2.5 "miles" on the evenings I work??

Hey, I have no problem whatsoever with you posting your question(s) here!

While I don't know the scientific or definitive answer, I think it's reasonable to think that you can burn an additional 100 calories during the course of every entire hour being on your feet in a retail environment as opposed to sitting on the couch.

As for how you want to record your MYAC miles, people do all sorts of things here. It depends on your preference. I would not have any problem with you recording miles on evenings you work if you want to include those in your goal estimate. You can either do that or come up with a goal number that does not involve your PT job miles. It's totally up to you. :smile:

Dave
  • darkrider42
    =============================
    SPREADSHEET UPDATED TO HERE

See (but not edit) the
    spreadsheet here:

http://tinyurl.com/myac201402
    =============================
  • carlsoda
    carlsoda Posts: 3,412 Member
    Yearly walking challenge: 214/1200 miles

March goal: 110 Miles
  • Tappy44
    Tappy44 Posts: 1,050 Member
    Let's try 60 miles again...

Thanks!
  • amazingmummy
    amazingmummy Posts: 816 Member
    Could you please add me for 50 miles please?
  • darkrider42
    On the board with my first walk O' the month.

Dave
    rI85m5.png
  • Lovemyalex
    Lovemyalex Posts: 3,768 Member
    Please put me down for 750 miles
    Good luck to everyone... :)
  • Lovemyalex
    Lovemyalex Posts: 3,768 Member
    Exercise total for

03/01

26.93 miles (exercise bike) & 2.57 miles (cross trainer) & 2.22 miles walking

31.72 miles for today

31.72 miles done MTD
  • sufferlandrian

I agree with Dave, the logging is up to you. From a scientific point of view, wether you walk the sidewalk or the sales floor, your body doesn't care. 1 mile walked is 1 mile walked. From a cardiovascular point of view the 1 mile of walking down the sidewalk is more beneficial but from a calories burned point of view, it doesn't matter. It takes a given number of calories to move one mile. That number does not vary on your speed, only on your weight and elevation. It takes more calories to move one mile up a 10% grade than it does a 0% grade. It only burns more calories to run that mile because you have to cool the muscles and your core and cooling burns calories as you generate perspiration. We could get into weight, friction coefficient and air density all figuring into the equation but the biggest factor in how many calories you burn are your weight and distance travelled followed by incline. I think given that you would like to be out walking but you can't, it's reasonable to log the miles you put on the sales floor. If you are active on the sales floor, you will burn calories as you move around helping people. :smile:
  • sufferlandrian
    Let's start the month off right with 29 miles out of 200. :smile:
  • clepant
    clepant Posts: 3,318 Member
    edited March 2016
    @Calliope610: Ditto what Dave and Dean said.
    @Lovemyalex: Congrats on the new milestone. Well done!

Mar.1: 10.22 miles today with a 4.22 miles walk/run to keep up with training and not die trying to breath.
    Also a couple miles walking the pups and a few more walking at work.
    TTD: 10.22 miles

exercise.png

• kar328
    kar328 Posts: 4,146 Member
    Starting out with a 2 mile run/walk on the dreaded treadmill. My brain couldn't go longer. I hope to get outside tomorrow, my last day of vacation, and add bigger numbers. Met with the dietician today to rework my numbers since I'm not only in a plateau, I've gained a few pounds - apparently I need more calories and more fat (peanut butter is on the shopping list) The dreaded PCOS. She gave great suggestions and new numbers and I'm excited to see what it can do.

exercise.png
  • anaconda469
    anaconda469 Posts: 3,457 Member
    We are having such winds blowing, with all the stuff blowing around my allergies are just a mess.

Goal: 150 miles

03/01 - 15.0 miles Hamster Wheel

Total: 15.0 miles

exercise.png

• rockann16
    rockann16 Posts: 885 Member
    Adding 2 miles

exercise.png

This discussion has been closed.