Daily Check In Thread

Options

Replies

• srlekhak
    srlekhak Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I did Week 3 day 2 today, it felt good. I do it on the treadmill though and I run at like 4.3 mph.. Is it fast enough ?
  • xLyric
    xLyric Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    srlekhak wrote: »
    I did Week 3 day 2 today, it felt good. I do it on the treadmill though and I run at like 4.3 mph.. Is it fast enough ?

My running speed is 3.7. You're fine, haha. :smiley: If you're like my sister (who runs 4.5-5) and just desperately want to get your speed up, she's going to redo the C25K program once we're done but on the walking portions use her easy speed and speed up for the other sections. (So walk=run and run=run faster.) I'm going on to 10k (or running for an hour) after this instead, with the hopes that speed will come later.
  • njaalla
    njaalla Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    njaalla wrote: »
    Thanks for the answers!
    It's quite cold and rainy here, so I used a rainjacket and had my phone in the pocket. Didn't want to hold it in my hand all the time as I was scared I might drop it. Maybe I'll try with one earphone in today. I'm running together with my bf, so I don't want to have both earphones in, otherwise I'd probably listen to music anyway.

Yesterday was W1D2. Tried it with one earphone in this time, worked quite well, better than I expected. After the 30 minutes were over, we still had to get back home and as we were both hungry, we didn't want to walk back slowly. So we ended up doing another 15 minutes of running + walking intervals, trying to count the time ourselves. Worked out quite well. :)

We wanted to do W1D3 tomorrow, but I'm thinking of doing one unit on my own today. I feel a lot better and more confident when I run with my boyfriend, because he actually knows what he's doing, while I often just feel like I'm ridiculous. But I have to get used to running on my own anyway, so why not start today?

• d_thomas02
    d_thomas02 Posts: 9,048 Member
    Options
    Yesterday was W1D2. Tried it with one earphone in this time, worked quite well, better than I expected. After the 30 minutes were over, we still had to get back home and as we were both hungry, we didn't want to walk back slowly. So we ended up doing another 15 minutes of running + walking intervals, trying to count the time ourselves. Worked out quite well. :)

We wanted to do W1D3 tomorrow, but I'm thinking of doing one unit on my own today. I feel a lot better and more confident when I run with my boyfriend, because he actually knows what he's doing, while I often just feel like I'm ridiculous. But I have to get used to running on my own anyway, so why not start today?

Careful overdoing when starting out. Overuse injuries are easy to get at any time running but particularly early with enthusiastic beginners. I'd suggest you keep it to every other day, three times a week for a couple of weeks until your body is use to running.
  • NemEhes
    NemEhes Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Finished doing week 3 yesterday. Starting week 4 now!
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    W6D1 done again, looking forward D2 on Wednesday.

You and me both! I took a few days to figure out what I wanted to do: push on or go back. Woke up this morning and couldn't decide if I wanted to work out or run. Work out or run? Looked at the W7D1... Run for 25 minutes. Okay, so work out or repeat W6. I knew if I skipped it I wouldn't go back, so I bit the bullet and re-launched W6. Actually got through it fairly easily, so hopeful that this time I make it happen.

My breathing started out horrible for the first segment, but got better for the other two, so maybe I just need to warm up? I don't know...

We can take comfort in repeating together!
    Aine8046 wrote: »
    Aine8046 wrote: »
    Week 6 finished! Two more to graduate! :)

Well done! :)

W7d1 done! 25 min. Too much food and too little sleep yesterday so felt tired and sleepy today. Was even thinking about skipping the run, but finally decided to do it. Had to slow down a lot, but finished it!

Wow! You just keep plugging along like a machine! Very impressed! Keep it up!
  • cwolfgram
    cwolfgram Posts: 105 Member
    Options

Speed doesn't matter. You are building endurance. I was doing 4.5 mph during Week 3. I slowed down to 3.8 starting Week 4.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    cwolfgram wrote: »

Speed doesn't matter. You are building endurance. I was doing 4.5 mph during Week 3. I slowed down to 3.8 starting Week 4.

I was slow when i started. as i built up my distance and experience a bit of speed came.
  • NancyN795
    NancyN795 Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the answers!
    It's quite cold and rainy here, so I used a rainjacket and had my phone in the pocket. Didn't want to hold it in my hand all the time as I was scared I might drop it. Maybe I'll try with one earphone in today. I'm running together with my bf, so I don't want to have both earphones in, otherwise I'd probably listen to music anyway.

I'll second the don't overdo advice. Plus, if you don't want to have to walk all the way back, then you've got to turn around after you get to the halfway point (the app I use - rundouble - and the app I used to use - Zen Labs - both announce the halfway point). I actually go a little further after the announcement because it's mostly downhill on the way back and if I turn around when it announces halfway, I'll get home before it's done.
  • srlekhak
    Options
    moyer566 wrote: »
    cwolfgram wrote: »

I was slow when i started. as i built up my distance and experience a bit of speed came.

Thanks so much for the answer :)
  • srlekhak
    Options
    xLyric wrote: »

My running speed is 3.7. You're fine, haha. :smiley: If you're like my sister (who runs 4.5-5) and just desperately want to get your speed up, she's going to redo the C25K program once we're done but on the walking portions use her easy speed and speed up for the other sections. (So walk=run and run=run faster.) I'm going on to 10k (or running for an hour) after this instead, with the hopes that speed will come later.

Thank you so much for the reply :) I love this thread, everyone here is so supportive. I am really glad I joined this group.
  • jdctrumpet
    jdctrumpet Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Today was W2D1. I did this program last year around this time of year, and (stupidly) stopped running after the summer. Getting back into it, and it's significantly easier this time around so far!
  • Aine8046
    Aine8046 Posts: 2,122 Member
    Options
    Just finished W8D1! I'm surprising myself with how strong I feel- before starting this I couldn't even run for a full minute- now I'm up to 28! I'm registered for my first 5K in June. Right now I'm running on the treadmill in my gym since I live in NYC and it's still rather chilly and the streets aren't the best place to train for me just yet... I ran down to the grocery store the other night (just 10 blocks, approx 0.5 miles) and holy cow it was so much harder than I thought! Does anyone have any tips on how to transition to outdoor running after training indoors?

Thanks!

Running outside is different. I do not think there is a simple answer. I am also using a treadmill now and plan transitioning outside soon. I know I'll be slow and sore. But it's more fun outside too, so I'm waiting food warm weather!
  • Aine8046
    Options

Run at whatever speed you feel comfortable. You'll be getting faster as time goes.: )
  • Aine8046
    Options
    NemEhes wrote: »
    Finished doing week 3 yesterday. Starting week 4 now!

Nice!
  • Aine8046
    Options
    Week7d2 is done! 26 min :)
  • Aine8046
    Options
    W6D1 done again, looking forward D2 on Wednesday.

You and me both! I took a few days to figure out what I wanted to do: push on or go back. Woke up this morning and couldn't decide if I wanted to work out or run. Work out or run? Looked at the W7D1... Run for 25 minutes. Okay, so work out or repeat W6. I knew if I skipped it I wouldn't go back, so I bit the bullet and re-launched W6.
    You guys are smart! It's true you need to listen to your body and slow down and repeat weeks as needed. Slow and steady will get you to the finish line! :)
  • NancyN795
    NancyN795 Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    Did W3D1 today. It was the first day that rundouble does as distance, rather than time. I was curious how it would compare. Turns out, when doing a timed C25K, week 3 has the same number of running minutes as week 2, but using distance, I actually didn't go as far. So, I guess my speed is acceptable. That 400 yard run uphill was tough, though. I just kept telling myself that I knew I could do it. And, I did. (Fortunately, I got to walk most of the longest, steepest hill.) The two downhill runs on the way back were a piece of cake.
  • d_thomas02
    d_thomas02 Posts: 9,048 Member
    Options
    When I hit a tough patch, I use the mantra; "Can't stop. Zombies will get me." :o
  • sleepigrl
    sleepigrl Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Finished week 7 today. I had some bad runs last week, so I took an extra day with week 7. But with two 25 min runs in the bag, I feel ready to move on. The finish line is in sight!