50 kick
    75 back/75br
    75 free
    25 fly
    50 fly
    25 back/25br
    50 kick
    100 swim

Was a lot to get through in about 55 minutes. Found it very tough after minimal training in last 8 weeks.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,263 Member
    Options
    About 40 min before class, free, kick and pull sets. Been out of the water for this week with a rotton cold. Felt good to swim again. Cold still isn't gone though...
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    just barely. I've been travelling for both family medical issues and work. Managed to walk 3.5 miles on both Tuesday and Wednesday; Thursday was a driving day. Friday and Saturday I've been at a conference in a hotel with an indoor "kiddie pool" (shallow and short-- hard to work up a good head of steam to do do proper laps). Although I haven't returned to the hotel until well after 9:00 either night, I've managed to spend ~20 minutes each evening doing easy backstroke, breast stroke and some modified water aerobic-kind of moves just to keep some movement in my day. Tomorrow's another 8+ hour driving day, and then I look forward to a REAL lap swim on Monday!
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    Options
    2300m

150 free
    100 IM kick
    50 br
    50 back

8x50 as 25 scull on back/25 backstroke

4x 60s vertical scull no kicking

15x100 free on 1.50

2x25 fly

The 15x100 free were with fins and paddles so we were getting between 35 and 40s rest between each 100.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    YES!
    Got back from China last night. A month of no swimming.
    Kept it to 100 laps today. 5000 yards.
    I'll kick it up to the morning 4 mile tomorrow.
    Didn't want to completely over do it today.
  • MightyLolo
    MightyLolo Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    I swam for the second time ever on my own with no instructor...yep, that's still a big deal for me. :smile:
    I'm super envious of everyone posting their yards or meters; I'm counting backstroke in laps, but crawl stroke in breaths :wink: and of course I lost count...but I'm up to 20 minutes of fairly continuous swimming, so hopefully I'll be posting my meters one day, too. :sweat_smile:
  • girlwithcurls2
    Options
    Hi MightyLolo! Welcome! It sounds like you're already doing really well! I joined here barely able to swim a lap. Terrible form, little to no endurance, but willing to learn. I still need work on my form, my endurance is slowly building, but I learned a lot in the last year and a half, and got great encouragement and support from all of the swimmers here. (And I can swim over a mile now! Whoopee!!)

Stick around, we're good folks here! :)
  • MightyLolo
    Options
    Thank you girlwithcurls2! Wow, over a mile; that's fantastic!

I have to admit I'd be pretty frustrated by now, the way I'm struggling with crawl stroke, but I seem to have somehow shipped with backstroke pre-installed, so that saves me every session. I'm hoping to start learning butterfly stroke this summer, but stubbornly trying to get crawl stroke down, first. :smile:
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Welcome to the Water Rats @MightyLolo . Sounds like you have a good base.
    When I started about 3 years ago I was a true beginner who measured distance's in "Shallow End Only".

I was out of town today and stopped at noon for a swim in what is usually one of my favorite pools. Today - not so much. They had reconfigured the lane swimming area, swim club and free swim areas.
    The original configuration had the Lane Swim Area as 4 - Double Lanes adjacent to the Diving Platforms ( 5 to 3.1 Meters Deep ) . The Swim Club had 7 Double Lanes running the length of the pool going from 2 meters to 3.1 meters. The Free swimming area was beside the Swim club area and went from 1.2m to 3.1m deep.
    The new configuration has the Swim club and Free swim in the deepest water ( which means that the free swim people can no long stand up / touch bottom in the water ) The lane swim is in the shallow water 1.2 to 2.1 meters. Since they are turned 90 degrees to the normal configuration they have no Lane Markings on the bottom of the pool, which means no T before the wall for timing your flip turns and 2 of the lanes have the Entry Ladders & Steps making flip turns dangerous.

So I went into the water Happy and came out Grumpy after a 40 minute nightmare. I tried to work through/around the obstacles but it was just extremely frustrating. The best part was the Coffee after, not the swim.
  • 60sPanda
    60sPanda Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Hello - after a week of not being able to get to the pool I was in it this morning. 1.8km in 40 mins.
  • rosebarnalice
    Options
    Way to go, @MightyLolo! However you count, whatever you count, it counts!
  • rosebarnalice
    Options
    Didn't get to post yesterday, but did my 54 laps yesterday and today--
  • fishgutzy
    Options
    120 laps, 6000 yards today. Working back to the full 4 mile swim.
  • MightyLolo
    Options
    Lifting day for me; swim class tomorrow :smile:
    Thanks for the lovely welcome messages!
  • girlwithcurls2
    Options
    No laps today. Still (after 5!! weeks) getting over this damn cold :(
    Cardio class today. She wiped us out with tabata last night. I didn't think I'd have any extra in my for laps anyway...

Great swims, peeps!!!
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    Adult swim club lessons. 1400m of Paced Front Crawl Repeats with a few twists.
    Started with 50m, 100m, 200m, 200, 100, 50 and all breathing was to be on our Weak side.
    Yes that's a big twist - for me that meant Left Shoulder.
    Second set was the same with breathing on 5 strokes 50m, 4 strokes on 100, 3 strokes on 200. So a real workout on improving breathing techniques/skill while maintain speed.
    One of my favorite drills is the Timed 60 Stroke swim - the goal ( ~ 75-100m ) to be efficient and get the maximum distance in the minimum time. I averaged 66m in 1:20 over 3 sets. Our speedster averaged 83-91m in about 1:26.
    Add in the 200m warm up, 200m of kick drills for a total of ~ 2000m. No wonder we were all wupped. Then to relax and cool down she introduced Backstroke Turns. Managed 2 out of 5 attempts. It was actually fun today. Probably why I signed up for the April Session. :p
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    Options
    2300m

200 free
    200 kick
    50 kick/50 swim x 2
    100 free
    50 kick/50 swim x 2
    100 free
    2x50 max breathe on 5
    100 easy
    2x50 max breathe on 5
    100 easy
    4x100 pull as 75 free 25 br
    8x50 as 12.5m underwater 12.5 swim alt back/free by 50
    100 easy

Not bad but had headache for an hour after from the breath control in last set.
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    1700 today. Not really sure how long it took me, as I wound up turning my timer OFF for one of my sets. I figured that swimming was more important than tracking time, so I kept on and didn't sweat it.

I've been out of the pool for a couple of weeks. Illness, travel, visitors and a cat passing away have all distracted me and now I'm panicking a little.

I was scheduled to do a swim this summer in mid-June, and when the director emailed me to ask me how far I intended to swim, I chickened out and said I'd do the four mile rather than the six mile. I am not sure I can get ready for a six mile swim that I can complete in any reasonable time in three months. (Complete at ALL? Sure. But I don't think they're gonna be wanting to wait around for me for that.)

Then there's Alcatraz in August. Distance, I am not so worried about. It's only a mile and a half. That's close to being Tuesday, ya know? TEMPERATURE? HALE YEAH. I'd promised myself I was going to get in the water and start doing some cold water swims starting in May, and I am wondering if I really should start sooner. (I live in New England and we are having an early Spring). Thing is, if we have a warm summer, am I going to be trained enough for the cold, what with having to JUMP IN the bay from a ferry at the start of the race? (Yes, I am panicking)

Wetsuit ain't an option. Finding one in my size probably won't happen easily and certainly won't happen for less than a grand. Not doing it.

Anyway, I know the real answer is to have my *kitten* in the pool swimmin' every weekday and do long swims on the weekend between now and then.

• fishgutzy
    Options
    7100 yards today. 1 lap over 4 miles.