Histamines, inflamation and biohacking experiment starting

Options
SamandaIndia
SamandaIndia Posts: 1,577 Member
Folks if you have inflamation or potential food intollerances then a web site that my Doctor reffered me to that may be useful is

http://www.michiganallergy.com/food_and_histamine.shtml

If context interests you. Here is where I am on my journey:

Dr and I know LCHF has hugely improved my energy levels and immunity. We also know I am negative for food intollerances that are easy to test in blood and I have a skin test scheduled for Tuesday.

After 5 mths LCHF, on my visit to the USA, I mostly asked for what I needed (like bacon strips as a side that I used as chip substitutes with my gaucomole) but I also had a few cappucinos not espressos and some suspect sauces. 5lbs gained in 10 days, I feel swollen, skin irritated and my sinus headaches are back. So what is the most likely suspect: histamine overload.

Dr recommended I stick with LCHF and make modifications so that I dodge histamines. For me the big changes are no bacon (cries), no avocado, no yoghurt, no cheese (especially my fave old dutch cheese), no spinach and no nuts. Rest fits with my existing LCHF plan. Sounds like me joining @FIT_Goat and meat feast with beef mince not bacon is a perfect starting point.

My doctor/nutritionist recommended this web site as a guide for next month of self experimentation:

http://www.michiganallergy.com/food_and_histamine.shtml

Combining that web site and another 2 sites here is my summary on what not to eat:

Histamine-Rich Foods: do not eat these
Fermented alcoholic beverages, especially wine, champagne and beer. Fermented foods: sauerkraut, vinegar, soy sauce, kefir, yogurt, kombucha, etcVinegar-containing foods: pickles, mayonnaise, olives Cured meats: bacon, salami, pepperoni, luncheon meats and hot dogs Soured foods: sour cream, sour milk, buttermilk, soured bread, etc Dried fruit: apricots, prunes, dates, figs, raisins Most citrus fruits Aged cheese including goat cheese Nuts: walnuts, cashews, and peanutsVegetables: avocados, eggplant, spinach, and tomatoes Smoked fish and certain species of fish: mackerel, mahi-mahi, tuna, anchovies, sardines

Histamine-Releasing Foods: given my blood tests are negative I can have these but better to dodge them:
Alcohol Bananas Chocolate Cow’s Milk Nuts Papaya Pineapple Shellfish Strawberries Tomatoes Wheat Germ Many artificial preservatives and dyes

After a month resetting my histamine levels we will check symptoms and potentially re introduce small levels of nutrient rich foods like avocado and see how much I tollerate without symptoms. If anyone is interested then I will let you know how this goes.

Replies

• rdkstar
    rdkstar Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I would be interested in any updates on how this worked for you.

I'm not totally convinced. I have very bad allergies. In fact I am the only one in my family with allergy. I grew up as a really picky eater. I would have normally avoid almost all the food on the list. I always assumed it was cuz my family ate everything and I didn't -was why I got the allergies. But I'm always interested in anything to get rid of our reduce my allergies.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Great thread. Following along.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Will be very interested to see how this goes for you! Good luck!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I know a few people who felt MUCH better eating a low histamine diet. I wish you a bunch of success in it too!
  • dasher602014
    dasher602014 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    Boy, is that a list! I hope you feel the effects of missing these and be able to isolate which ones are causing you grief.

I just finish a book which is really interesting and very, very readable, about microbes in our gut and how they affect everything, from the ability of babies to survive to risk taking behaviours and, of course, allergies and food intolerances.

If you are interested:

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/23013953-gut
  • SamandaIndia
    Options
    Thxs @dasher602014 for book tip. I have spent the last 5 months taking probiotics n doing a specific diet to improve gut biome. Since I am still getting symptoms which appear to be associated with eating certain foods, this is the next step.
  • SamandaIndia
    Options
    Feeling less headache today and better alertness, however husband claims I was moody. I had BPC at 9am and nothing else until 230pm. I wasnt hungry but apparently I was a bit of a sensitive soul, after 2pm, even after I ate my fried beef mince lunch. Had a little more mince for dinner but not hungry.
  • V_Keto_V
    V_Keto_V Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Always interesting to see how amino acids can contribute to allergies...in particular histamine & tryptophan. Take it with a grain of salt however; there is a huge difference in Tolerance vs. Histamine reaction ranging all the way up to Allergic reaction/Anaphylaxis...i.e. you can have dose-dependent GI symptoms from Avocados in large enough quantities but handle small amounts just fine. Your Wheal-flare testing should give you better insight on what you can & can not tolerate
  • sofiajp
    sofiajp Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend this site http://lowhistaminechef.com She has done tons of research and interviews with experts. She isn't low carb but I think you could learn a lot. She herself was super sick due to histamine intolerance and now she is in a much better place in terms of health.
  • SamandaIndia
    Options
    Great site. Thxs! @sofiajp.

3 days finished:
    I am feeling good on a mostly beef mince, eggs, butter n coconut oil diet. Health improving. My face has a less red splotchy appearance, my sinus headaches are reduced and digestive system appears to be slow but functional. So far, so good :)
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Have you looked into amines as well as histamines? The Fail Safe Diet talks about the freshness of meat being a concern:
    http://www.failsafediet.com/the-rpah-elimination-diet-failsafe/minimising-amine-formation-in-meat-dairy-and-eggs/
  • SamandaIndia
    Options
    @kirkor wow, that looks amazing. Thanks! Feeling a level of frustration having to micro manage my diet. I bought a steak last night that was vacuumed pack. Thought I was doing a good thing eating just beef in butter. So much to consider as we narrow down to what my body does not like. BTW skin test n blood test negatives so not air born allergens, dust, cat, dog, horses, pollen or other "usual suspects".
  • SamandaIndia
    Options
    1 kilo lost in 3 days (record rate... real???).

No obvious food or air borne allergens (including dairy). No rheumatoid arthritus. Exciting day. Thus we are down to food intollerances, and our most likely suspect, histamine.

Vodka is distilled not fermented so if I insist on playing n partying with my 9 girlfriends who are meeting in KL. Which after over a year apart- yes indeed I do... apparently, vodka lime soda or G&T are prefered over champagne, white or red wine. Glad I got that clear :)
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    In my recent experience, I read 4 books on the gut microbiome, countless Youtubes, soundclouds, etc. I dove headlong into probiotics, fermented foods, Kombucha, milk kefir, water kefir. I got a histamine reaction, rash/hive like, bloating. But, after looking into this, the remedy was not to abstain from these items, but to keep using them... the reaction is because these good probiotics are changing (for-the-good) your gut microbiome. The new microbiota are taking over and kicking out the bad. When the bad ones die, they leave behind a messy toxin that gives the histamine reaction.

My result is after a month, all my rash and itchy, bloating is completely gone. To stop eating all those foods would be like this scenario:
    If you recommended to a friend to eat a low carb/ketogenic diet and after a few days he/she got the "keto flu", and he/she stopped doing the diet and went back to the SAD low fat diet. This is the same! You don't avoid the diet for a temporary problem, but trudge ahead. They call this a, "Herxheimer Reaction". Its like an innoculation/vacination, you will have a small reaction to a vaccination, but after it over, you're the better for it.

So, don't do an unsustainable eliminate-everything diet! Just back off a little. Kombucha and milk kefir come to mind. Or fermented pickles, sauerkraut....just eat smaller quantities. Increase them on every other day. Soon you will be inoculated and fit to eat anything...

There is one other dynamic, and that would be gut dysbiosis, which also exasebates the histamine reaction, solutions involve eat certain foods like bone broth and avoiding certain foods like "FODMAPS" (google).

I highly recommend you read the book, "GAPS Diet". Or at least see the author's one hour plus YouTube video.

I hope this helps,
    Dan the Man from Michigan
    Keto / The Recipe Water Fasting / E.A.S.Y. Exercise Program
    v1bk0hqkhxv5.jpg

• canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Ditch the tonic @SamandaIndia as it will either be full of sugar or if 'diet' artificial sweeteners that will cause grief. Gin & soda is kinda dull though. Straight up good quality vodka over ice. Tequila is also distilled (usually twice) and needs to be "100% agave" on the label or else you are getting 'mixto' with added cane sugar for the alcohol. If you want a shooter, do a Fire & Ice (tequila & vodka) lol!
  • SamandaIndia
    edited March 2016
    Options
    canadjineh wrote: »
    Ditch the tonic @SamandaIndia as it will either be full of sugar or if 'diet' artificial sweeteners that will cause grief. Gin & soda is kinda dull though. Straight up good quality vodka over ice. Tequila is also distilled (usually twice) and needs to be "100% agave" on the label or else you are getting 'mixto' with added cane sugar for the alcohol. If you want a shooter, do a Fire & Ice (tequila & vodka) lol!

Figured the GnT was a bit dodgy, but was a lesser of evils. As @DittoDan points out feels like an eliminate everything diet. Thxs for tips @canadjineh and @DittoDan -i will watch video and look for book! Not sure about fire n ice shot! Barely any alcohol for 6 months so I am hoping to achieve more soda than alcohol :)
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I think club soda tastes just like tonic. If you order a gin and soda you literally have to watch them make it. They will make it with tonic about half the time I've found... I always get a few limes to kick it up a bit. The gin matters too, though I haven't tried many, I like Tangueray pretty well but think Bombay Sapphire goes down a bit easier.
    I also like silver tequila with soda and lots of lime. If you salt the rim, it's a decent margarita replacement if you get enough lime.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    Interesting! Let us know how it goes for you.
    Re the GAPS diet mention, I have several friends who have tried that and swear by it.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    @Sunny_Bunny_ if soda tastes like tonic to you, you've already had too much to drink, lol. Soda just tastes like fizzy water but tonic has a distinctly bitter flavour. If you want the real thing without corn syrup here's a link, but not easy to get. Proper cinchona bark and more natural ingredients: fever-tree.com/. Worth it if you like tonic water. I am obviously NOT a "creamy, fruity, sweet drink" girl. If it doesn't contain tonic or grapefruit then I drink it straight up instead.
  • DorkothyParker
    DorkothyParker Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to suggest Hendricks gin if they have it. It's more floral.