Replies

• justsayinisall
    justsayinisall Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    just keep on keeping on.
  • jerilynconn
    jerilynconn Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Feeling down about myself lately. It didn't help that I woke up sick and felt worse and worse throughout the day. Need to stay off instagram! While I am happy for people who have been successful, its very discouraging right now. I'm sure some of this feeling is hormonal, but its not like I expect to have a perfect body, i just want to be slightly less fat and not have such a big gut.
  • justsayinisall
    justsayinisall Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    It's hard to feel good about anything when you are sick. Put on a movie, get a blanket, curl up on the couch and just go get better. Step away from instagram!
  • jerilynconn
    Options
    Reset: gained 17 pounds and 8 1/4 inches :# gained over 1 month getting to tdee & a 2 month reset

Cut 1:
    Week 1: -2.2 pounds
    Week 2: +0.4
    Week 3: -0.2

• ambsnic17
    ambsnic17 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
  • ambsnic17
    Options
    Yay!
  • jerilynconn
    Options
    Hope it's not just deflated muscles from not lifting ;)
  • ambsnic17
    Options
    Lol
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Oh no - out of if for really that long?

As long as not bed ridden - it takes longer than that to lose muscle, especially if not in a diet.
  • jerilynconn
    Options
    It's been almost a week. I plan on lifting tomorrow though.
  • Jennifer_Lynn_1982
    Jennifer_Lynn_1982 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Let us know how it goes :)
  • erin0201
    erin0201 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You can do this! The big gains are seen when you're willing to put yourself and your best health first! Calories are not all created equal. Grains aren't always the best. Some can handle them, but seriously... how do you think they fatten up the cows we eat?? That's right. Grain! Your best bet is to stick to whole foods, non processed items, and focus on non-starchy veggies and lean proteins. Not everyone can give up sugar and grains and I know that. I have a lot of will power. I'm so tired of being heavy and I've never been smaller than a size 13 in my adult life and I am going to get to 25% body fat the healthiest way possible or die trying!! Ok hopefully not really..lol

But even making small swaps to get started really helps your body to work better. Get rid of soda and go with something like True Lemon juice flavor packets. Some are sweetened with Stevia like the lemonades.
    Eat what you want, but choose from an unlimited menu of greens and lean protein. I challenge you to start meals with a 3 cup salad of greens and a little dressing and then see if you've got room for anything else. ;)
    Make sure you're taking a good whole foods vitamin if you're not getting enough veggies and fruits.
    I've also been taking extra vitamin C and magnesium before bed to help flush stuff out and muscles to relax (including bloat!)
    Vit C has been proven to reduce inflammation/bloating in the body more and more in recent studies.

Bloat. That "poofy" feeling. You can get a lot of when you're strength training intensely. Your muscles are growing and your fat cells are shrinking, but in the middle of all that the muscles are sucking up water and so are the fat cells trying to resist change! Sometimes you'll get a "whoosh" and feel suddenly really light and skinny when your fat cells finally give up trying to stay big with water and your muscles realize they don't need the extra retention :)

Stay strong and keep at it!! Keep increasing the weights as you can. Even if the major change you notice is strength gains for awhile. The inches and pounds lost will come as your body adjusts to your new composition! :)

Walk the walk and know sometimes you have to kick your own butt to see results. I'm far from the "20 mins a day" type of person. I can't do anything, but maybe maintain with a regimen like that.
    I do 25-30 mins of pyramid strength training (rotated between upper/lower body every other day) plus at least 60 mins of cardio (including 4 mins of tabata on my stationary bike) every single day. Not everyone can devote the time, but you'd be surprised how much time you can steal back from sitting and watching tv, or something. How much time do you spend doing that? Walk in place, get a stationary bike or treadmil and do it while you watch. The minutes add up! Throw in tabata for HIIT.
    Most people probably aren't as metabolically deranged as I am and maybe don't need as much exercise or dedication to get the body recomposing, but sometimes.. you do! You'll know if you're one of them..
    You'll follow what you think should work, but aren't seeing the results you want to see... you might have one of the super high energy efficient bods like mine and need to use more of that energy than others do!

Stop counting calories, starting eating whole unprocessed foods, and start doing the work!

If you stick with the strength training, you WILL get stronger, and you WILL burn more just by sitting. Sneak in as much cardio as you can handle in any way shape or form. (I'm not talking doing P90X. I'm talking go for a 2 mile walk, a 30 minute bike ride, etc as often as possible). Stay consistent and you WILL get there!
  • jerilynconn
    Options
    Reset: gained 17 pounds and 8 1/4 inches :# gained over 1 month getting to tdee & a 2 month reset

Cut 1: (start 172.6)
    Week 1: -2.2 pounds (170.6)
    Week 2: +0.4 (171)
    Week 3: -0.2 (170.6)
    Week 4: + 1.0 (171.6)

Month 1 total: -1 pound, -2.25 inches (unless human error).

This weigh in was a little off due to doms and Tom, I should go back down to where I was hanging- 170.6, which is 2 pounds down total.

A little annoyed, although technically I did lose .5 pounds a week.

Will continue on cut until my vacation as planned. I may change from having 4 weeks at tdee after that to 1 or 2.
  • jerilynconn
    Options
    I'm going to go for a slightly bigger deficit this month. I will probably eat higher Cals, maybe up to tdee on one day a week.
  • ambsnic17
    Options
    So what are you thinking? 1900ish? I feel lately I can't keep my calories under control. Ugh!! so I feel I need the opposite and need to make my deficit smaller and increase my cals a little. Your plan sounds good. :-)
  • jerilynconn
    Options
    I think it will average out to 1800.
  • heybales
    Options
    Just to confirm because I didn't see it mentioned specifically. And I've got ones that forgot this little fact.

When your weight increases - your TDEE increases. Not only BMR a little, but moving more mass around all day long.

So are you basing your deficit on a TDEE estimated prior to the 17 lb increase?

Or did you get up to estimated TDEE that was based on the increased 17 lbs?

If the former - you have a bigger deficit than you think - and you should have lost weight if body was unstressed, eating at lower weight TDEE.

If the latter - good job adjusting.
  • jerilynconn
    Options
    The difference on the calculator was only 20 calories.

I definitely feel a lot of pressure from a lot of different places.

I will continue lifting so I should be able to maintain muscle. I plan on eating one day a week at tdee and taking a diet break when needed.
  • heybales
    Options
    Good plan. And as long as you have all three legs of retaining-muscle stool to a decent degree - no problem retaining it.

Reasonable deficit - enough protein - resistance training.

And 1 or 2 better there can offset another not done so well.

Like when people eat at maintenance (or surplus) with no resistance training and perhaps not great protein levels, very little muscle mass lost except through effects of aging.
    And body builders have proved out they can take short big deficits with enough protein and lifting to not lose muscle mass.

But for life and stress and goals - nice balance between them seems to work best for adherence.
    Sounds like that is your attempt.
  • jerilynconn
    Options
    I cut for 8 weeks, then a tdee break, started cutting again- 10 weeks cumulative and I am down only a pound. How the fudge is that possible?