Daily check in for Keto friends...

Replies

• Fvaisey
    Fvaisey Posts: 5,506 Member
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    Fvaisey wrote: »
    Finally managed to stay keto for a few days and dropped 4 lbs over the weekend. Happy Monday! Hope everyone has a great day.

High Five, @fvaisey! Or is that high four?!?! :) Now let's see if we can make that streak last longer this time. :)

Still on it! From Feb to August last year I was pretty solid on hitting my macros and lost 40 lbs. I only have 17 now to hit my goal!
  • carsonheim
    carsonheim Posts: 79 Member
    4031isaiah wrote: »
    I wish this let me give you a thumbs up!
    Me too!! Where's the "like" button
  • carsonheim
    Fvaisey wrote: »
    Finally managed to stay keto for a few days and dropped 4 lbs over the weekend. Happy Monday! Hope everyone has a great day.
    Great job!! You can do this. The food is delicious. What more could anyone want???
  • carsonheim
    The past three days I've spent between 3 and 6 hours gardening. MFP is giving me mad calories in additional food I can eat!!! I normally don't eat all of the extra calories MFP allocates, but when I have a lot of physical exertion I will go over my 1500 daily limit usually by about 200 to 300 cal
  • kimbo8435
    kimbo8435 Posts: 129 Member
    @Fvaisey , awesome streak! It's always a major motivator
    @carsonheim , I love the dual results from gardening. The yard looks better, and so do you! Spring is awesome!
  • JodiSW
    JodiSW Posts: 193 Member
    Ok Keto friends... I need help. I made a wonderful cream of veggie soup (smoothly blended with almond milk and coconut oil) topped with crumbled bacon. Then for dinner I made bone-in skin-on roasted chicken thighs and a garden salad with balsamic dressing.

Then, right before bed, I devoured half a pound of chocolate and one and a half cinnamon rolls.

My eating habits are clearly more related to my head than my stomach or tastebuds. A while back, a friend of mine told me about an over eaters anonymous group that follows the 12 step program used in AA. I'm kind of embarrassed about it but I'm running out of ideas...

Any thoughts on how I can get things under control and make Keto work for me?

First, please know that I have so much empathy for this and have been there more times than I can count.

I'd agree with @baconslave that I found the The Beck Diet Solution helpful. Also, The Thin Woman's Brain. Both are DIY cognitive behavioral therapy. I think of the 2, I like the Thin Woman's Brain better. While I still struggle with binge eating, I'm beginning to think about it differently, which is a start.
  • JodiSW
    JodiSW Posts: 193 Member
    kimbo8435 wrote: »
    I do a coconut oil with cocoa powder and a smidge of stevia and cinnamon. It's quick and easy.

I'm trying to picture this. What are the portions?

I do the above except I add some peanut butter. Yummy! Sometimes I'll throw in a bit of coconut. a great keto friendly treat.
  • carsonheim
    Good morning friends. Today was my week 6 weigh-in. Exactly the same as last week. A bit disappointed, but won't give up. Going to change up a few things in my diet -- less dairy and Keto treats, more basics like meat, fish, butter and leafy greens.

I've not gone off plan at all, but I think dairy and artificial sweeteners might be an issue for me.
  • pwrfl1
    pwrfl1 Posts: 673 Member
    carsonheim wrote: »
    Good morning friends. Today was my week 6 weigh-in. Exactly the same as last week. A bit disappointed, but won't give up. Going to change up a few things in my diet -- less dairy and Keto treats, more basics like meat, fish, butter and leafy greens.

I've not gone off plan at all, but I think dairy and artificial sweeteners might be an issue for me.
    You've also been gardening like a mad woman, so the extra exercise might of slowed the scale weight.....but don't despair what you don't see happening on the scale usually shows up in reduced size !!! Keto On - you're doing fantastic !!!
  • 4031isaiah
    4031isaiah Posts: 1,253 Member
    2 boiled eggs for breakfast
    A small handful of almonds mid-morning
    Salmon cooked in olive oil and lemon juice
    1 cup cauliflower florets with butter and salt

My stomach is full. I know I don't need more food but my body, brain and tastebuds are all screaming for something sweet to finish the job to the point where it's actually distracting.

This is why I crash and burn so often...
  • 4031isaiah

If eat dairy, it might as well be ice cream or chocolate. My body hates dairy and any effort seems to be halted and/or reversed by it.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member

My stomach is full. I know I don't need more food but my body, brain and tastebuds are all screaming for something sweet to finish the job to the point where it's actually distracting.

That right there is screaming signals of insulin resistance. Have you been tested, or have you confirmed that you are IR? Lemme think on this some over lunch and I'll work up some tips. I have gotten past that issue 90-95% of the time, now, but that was so ME!
  • carsonheim

I never heard anyone else talk about being distracted by the desire to have a little something sweet. I always felt that way, but never really verbalized it. Before starting Keto, I was distracted all the time.... every day... if I didn't have some sort of sweets. It truly is an addiction.
  • KnitOrMiss

I never heard anyone else talk about being distracted by the desire to have a little something sweet. I always felt that way, but never really verbalized it. Before starting Keto, I was distracted all the time.... every day... if I didn't have some sort of sweets. It truly is an addiction.

Yup, all meals had to have something sweet or they didn't feel "done." Once I started getting hungry, it was always sweets, and if I ate them, they just made me hungrier. I couldn't have one small anything. I had 3 (or more) king-sized things. Salt would perk me up. I had to eat salt and sugar every 2-3 hours just to stay awake. Thoughts of sugar would get in my head and stay there until I filled them - they invaded my every functional waking thought. It was a full on obsession and addiction. I never knew that my body could be any other way until I discovered low carbing...
  • 4031isaiah

That right there is screaming signals of insulin resistance. Have you been tested, or have you confirmed that you are IR? Lemme think on this some over lunch and I'll work up some tips. I have gotten past that issue 90-95% of the time, now, but that was so ME!

I'be been tested for diabetes and it was negative
  • KnitOrMiss
    edited April 2016

Diabetes is NOT insulin resistance. I wasn't even PRE diabetic, and I am insulin resistant. Testing for fasting insulin is not a standard test, but it should be. Basically, it is likely that you're at the least metabolically challenged with the "need a sweet to end the meal" feeling plus if you've EVER struggled to lose weight at all. I'd suggest googling and seeing if your insulin levels (fasting) have ever been tested...

Basically, my body makes insulin, then that tells the body, I'm hungry, let's eat. Then, when I eat, it goes to grab the insulin to process my food, but can't find it, so makes more, telling me I'm hungrier still, so I keep eating, it keeps having a hard time finding the insulin, and then the excess of insulin says "We need this, go store everything as fat, more food is coming!" And the cycle continues...
  • 4031isaiah

Diabetes is NOT insulin resistance. I wasn't even PRE diabetic, and I am insulin resistant. Testing for fasting insulin is not a standard test, but it should be. Basically, it is likely that you're at the least metabolically challenged with the "need a sweet to end the meal" feeling plus if you've EVER struggled to lose weight at all. I'd suggest googling and seeing if your insulin levels (fasting) have ever been tested...

Basically, my body makes insulin, then that tells the body, I'm hungry, let's eat. Then, when I eat, it goes to grab the insulin to process my food, but can't find it, so makes more, telling me I'm hungrier still, so I keep eating, it keeps having a hard time finding the insulin, and then the excess of insulin says "We need this, go store everything as fat, more food is coming!" And the cycle continues...

Interesting. I know nothing about this. How do you treat it?
  • carsonheim

Low carb is the best way. Carbs and many "fake carbs" i.e. artificial sweeteners, cause the insulin to come searchin' for food to store as fat.
  • 4031isaiah
    edited April 2016

Low carb is the best way. Carbs and many "fake carbs" i.e. artificial sweeteners, cause the insulin to come searchin' for food to store as fat.

Good to know. I guess that gives me even more incentive to try to resist long enough to get over this hump.
  • carsonheim
    Howdy friends!! Spent a good part of yesterday out in the yard again. I'll tell ya, having a new house on 2.5 acres requires some work!!

I'm going out of town to a work conference (Vegas, woo hoo!) later this week and am feeling good about my resolve. It's my 7th week of Keto and I really have no temptation from things like breads, cookies, etc. I do enjoy imhibing from time to time; I plan on ordering vodka and soda tall and adding a few drops of flavor. Definitely better than the three or four margaritas I would have ordered (per night!) in the past.

Hope everyone's weekend is going well :)