Daily Chat Thread

Options

Replies

• DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Jo - Thanks. Brownies are good but didn't have any. I had a french toast bagel, which was good, in the morning before going to the run. Fun on your grueling games.

Kimi - Yay! Great that it fit beautifully and you enjoyed the night.

I am tired and sore, plus a little cold though much better than before. The terrain race was interesting overall and I did get my wish in it being not hot and humid but weather went the other way. Brrr so cold plus all the mud and water involved. Had a struggle in figuring out what to wear cause didn't have appropriate long sleeves or anything like that. We'll see if my under armour jacket will handle the cleaning needed cause it got super dirty.

It was the type where it was okay if you couldn't do an obstacle along the way, didn't hinder anything. The obstacles varied but included wood walls to climb over (some too tall for me to reach up to even attempt at pulling myself over), sliding down mud then getting through pools of water, ducking under things, climbing ropes up a wall or across things or up a rope to ring a bell, and such. I skipped a few walls, or ducked under cause really, if they didn't want me to go under the board, get the bottom closer to the ground. I did get all of the rope climbs, even got up the rope to ring the bell both times through as the 10k version was just running the course twice.

My whole body was tired after the run. Arms were sore from ones that required upper body strength, like pulling my body up a rope, and my legs were sore from everything. Even my fingers and hands are a little tender from it all. I also bruised up my shins and knees. Have a knot on the left one above the knee so that will bruise and ache for a while.

It was fun, though I think would be better with a small group. I might do another again some day. We'll see. Now to hope I don't get a cold from doing it all in the chilly weather. Have too much going on in the next few weeks.
  • tchrmom04
    tchrmom04 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. I did NROL4W a few years back and had wonderful results - but then life happened. And so did a 50 lb weight gain. (sad). So here I am - I've lost 50 lbs by doing a lot of cardio and body pump. But I'm ready to start lifting heavy again. I bought the Strong book and did the Phase 1 workout A today at the gym.

My question is on nutrition - can you guys give me an idea about where you are ranging your calorie range? I am currently 178 and 5 ft. 4. MFP gives me 1500 per week based on a low activity level (not sedentary). Just curious if that seems right. Basically I stick to 1500 except on high cardio days (when I did kickbox or cycling) then I will go to 1700.

Sherry
  • StephieWillcox
    StephieWillcox Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts B today:

Squat: 5x5 @ 32.5kg
    OHP: 5x5 @ 20kg
    Deadlift: 1x5 @ 50kg

Felt great today. Actually feeling like I've got a bit of a squat groove going, I did warm up sets with the bar so ended up doing a lot of squats which is good for me.

Also did a better deadlift set up and did it separately for each deadlift so it was more like 5 sets of singles. I figure I need the deadlift set up practise too, there's no point touch and going it.

Dawn - saw your bruises on IG - OUCH!!!! Glad you had fun though, I think those obstable courses are basically the definition of a well rounded athlete, so you're definitely ticking those boxes.

Kimi - that sounds wonderful, I'm glad your dress fit so well, it's been a long time since I felt really good wearing something, although I do feel like my body is getting better all the time (my quads are getting massive though which I'm not loving, but meh, if I'm destined to be strong with big quads then that's what is going to happen.

Sherry - my calories are set at 1800, I'm 5'5, 193lbs, so your 1500 doesn't seem out of line with mine. I think mine is with a 750 cal deficit a day (I have a fitbit that tends to up my calories, but I am quite active) I think if you're doing ok on that calorie level then it seems reasonable. Definitely eat more if you're struggling, or on high cardio days like you mention.
  • AigreDoux
    AigreDoux Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    Happy Monday, everyone!

Had a crazy weekend with my daughter's birthday party yesterday. Fired up our outdoor pizza oven and made some really yummy pizza, but not low calorie! And my mom made a delicious cake. So now back on track.

Yesterday I did Strong, Workout B, #5
    Suspended fall outs 2x15
    Reverse lunges 3x12@50 lbs
    inverted rows 3x12 on TRX
    Kettlebell swings 3x12@25 lbs
    DB single arm press 3x12@15 lbs
    Intervalsx10 min
    Felt kind of meh the whole workout, stressed about taking time away from getting ready for the party and for whatever reason kids kept interrupting.

Almost done with Stage 5, though, time to print out Stage 6 logs!

Today I got out at 5 am and ran 3 miles.

Stephie - glad you are happy with Stronglifts. I am looking forward to seeing your progress!

Sherry - I usually fall between 1500-1700. Aim for the low end of that but don't get too concerned about a 1700 or 1800 calorie day especially if I've burned a lot of calories. I'm 5'5" and about 148-149 pounds, but high body fat and low muscle mass in there.

Dawn - wow, that obstacle race sounds so tough! I'm glad that you rocked it though! What an accomplishment!

Kim - what a great feeling that the dress was so right

Jo - agree with the others, NOT slacking, just stronger than you think you are!
  • SuperMelinator
    SuperMelinator Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I didn't disappear! Looks like everyone had a pretty good weekend and are getting in workouts today even when they don't feel top notch! You can include me in on that one - allergies are kicking my BUTT today with a scratchy through and sinus fullness. Ugh. My preschooler is finishing up her last day of school today so I'm going to an ice cream social put on by her class...but not before I hit the gym for the workout I missed on Friday because of my sick Kindergartner.

NROLFW - workout B, stage 1, DL, shoulder press, lat pulldown, lunges, swiss ball crunch. Only 3 more workouts in stage 1 after today!!
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,985 Member
    Options
    I actually got to lift, today! Unexpected! And I checked my flights for Wednesday....don't fly until noon, so I should be able to squeak in a workout Wednesday morning, too. That is TWO lifting workouts in the week I thought I would get ZERO.

So, that makes me VERY HAPPY.

I am re-introducing alcohol into my menu-plan! I pretty much have become a tee-totaller, since August, and that isn't really my "game plan". So, not sure what other calories I will knock off, to make room for some alcohol, but it is time. It is time!

Yes, I have more scale-weight to dump....and I will work on that. But, life is just too short (right now...) to miss summer-time special beverages. Yum!
  • tchrmom04
    tchrmom04 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! :) Sounds like I'm on the right track. Just disheartening (whining post coming...) when last week I gained 1.6 (but started TOM that day) and the week after on my weigh in day - I only lost .4 of that gain. Just two bummer weeks in a row! I weigh in on Sunday. I shouldn't take it to heart - but I do. :) But hopefully not for long!!

I did my Strong - Phase 1 Workout B today

Side planks
    Cable anti-rotation something...
    Romanian deadlift with reach (no weights)
    Push ups
    Split squats
    Inverted row

That inverted row was super hard for me. I think because the gym was crowded today - I didn't do it on the squat rack like I hoped to do. I saw a bar on a bench press and used it instead. The rest of it seemed ok - but I forget how Phase 1 starts off slow. But since I'm determined to do it right - I'm taking it slow this time.

I love how you guys don't let real life get in the way of your weight loss/exercise plans. I tend to be so controlling that I let it rule my life. I'm working on releasing some of that control so I live my life and not worry so much. :) End of school activities are eating me alive. It was an event for my son today and tomorrow is an orchestra concert for my daughter...

Hoping to squeeze in another workout with weights on Wednesday. :)

Sherry
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    tch - Nice work. When I did NROLFW, I was heavier than I am now but active so my calories were a bit more. Now, I am trying to stick to 1400-1500 calories in attempt to lose a little more. I work on my feet and lift, but am also 4'11.5" so rather short.

beeps - very true. Work on your goals but don't be afraid to enjoy life either.

stephie - :blush: I don't know about well rounded, I struggled on a lot and am still sore. Fun times at least.

aigre - Thanks and ooo, pizza oven. mmmm

Not much to report as I've just been working. No gym yet but might go after work tomorrow as I'm working a mid-day shift. Other news though. I applied for a transfer and it's official, I'm moving to LA. My first day at the store there is June 11th, so I've got a lot to do in a short time. Okay, a lot is an understatement. Better get busy.
  • StephieWillcox
    Options
    Dawn - LA how exciting! Was that part of your recent trip? And that means being closer to your sister right? Or did she just meet you out there? EXCITING anyways, I hope you get everything you need to done!

Gym today - did DDPYoga Diamond cutter (55 minute yoga routine).

Felt like a bit of a dick doing yoga on the stretching mats in front of everyone - I had my phone propped up in front of me with my bluetooth headphones on. Luckily I don't really need the video, but it helps in case I get a little lost.

I was drenched in sweat afterwards, and my squat was SUPER deep after finishing so I think this is definitely something to include in my routine. I was very flexible as a teenager so I want to get some of that back!
  • AigreDoux
    AigreDoux Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    Good morning, everyone!

Stephie - awesome that the yoga is helping! I was doing some fitnessblender 15 min yoga/stretching videos before bed some nights. But I decided the extra 15 min of sleep was more valuable so I gave it up. Maybe I should get back into it.

Dawn - oh how exciting. That is a quick move though! Do you have a place to live and everything? A new gym??

Sherry - that's why I weigh myself every day so I don't get freaked out by the fluctuations. I have gained like 2.5 lbs in a day (water, surely), so at least I know it can't be fat if it comes that quickly. Does your gym have suspension systems/TRX? That's my favorite way to do inverted rows.

Beeps - I hear you. I do love a good big glass of wine to relax. I make room for the couple hundred calories several times a week. Yeay for extra workouts!

Supermel - hope you and your kids feel better soon!

Today was Strong, Stage 5, Workout A, #6
    Valslide mountain climbers - 1x40, 1x30
    SL RDL 3x10@35 lbs each leg
    Pushups 2x10, 1x8 @20 inches off floor
    Front squats - OMG I don't know what's wrong with me. I hate these so much. I tried 15 million different grip options but I don't think the problem is my grip, the problem is that I somehow lean forward coming back up and therefore the bar ends up wanting to fall off. Then I am struggling with my wrists to keep the bar on, which I am sure isn't right. I am working with a low weight - 30 lbs - so I don't know what more to do. I guess I get a break from them in Stage 6 anyway.
    Double arm cable pull - 3x10@65 lbs
    Intervalsx10 min
  • StephieWillcox
    Options
    Aigre - I have been saying to myself that I will do yoga before bed for about 4 months now... I finally decided that I should just suck it up and do my routines at the gym on a Tuesday/Thursday.

Means I won't be tempted to lift and I still have somewhere to go on my lunch break on non-lifting days!
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    Stephie - I did check out a few stores and make contact with the one I am transferring to while I was on vacation. It was on the consideration list during the vacation but didn't know if anything would come of looking. My sister lives in LA so I'll be moving in with her and when we can, we'll find a bigger place as she just has a studio right now.

Aigre - It is quick but luckily have sister living there so that helps with the transfer on the short notice. And my current apartment situation with all of the roommates makes leaving easy-ish too though still have a lot to work out since I can't take the big stuff right away. Will need to cancel my current gym membership, which allows for easier out of the contract if there isn't a location close enough to where I move. There are so many gyms down there, finding a new one that is even cheaper shouldn't be too challenging.

I have a lot to do. Today is a mid-day shift then going to the gym for random lifting. Program will be iffy until after the move. I have so much to do in just a couple of weeks. I have Wednesday and Thursday off from work, which is good because I need to get packing and get rid of stuff that I really don't need.
  • kimiuzzell
    kimiuzzell Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Hmmm.....I may just have downloaded "Strong" onto kindle on my phone.

Figured I could potentially do this on the increasing number of days that I can't get on the squat rack for SL.

• SuperMelinator
    SuperMelinator Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Beeps - awesome on getting two lifting sessions in! Mmm Maragaritas! Dacquiris! The list goes on!

tch - Crowded gyms stink. Glad you were able to get your weights in. The battery on my scale died a couple weeks ago and I finally just got around to replacing it this morning. It was good to take a break from it, though. I don't seem to be losing weight, so I've been trying to concentrate on form and getting my workouts in and working hard.

Dawn - That's so exciting! How far of a move is it for you?

Stephie - Sounds like a heck of a yoga routine! I know I could probably benefit from a deeper squat!

Aigre - I tried a front hold on a super light bar (5lbs) last week and felt SO SILLY trying it out. It was awkward. I didn't try any squats with it though. Maybe you could try a lighter bar with no weight until you get used to the form and movement? I couldn't will myself to do any type workout before bed even if there was cheesecake in it for me...

I'm so close to being done with Stage 1 of NROLFW that I can almost taste it! It's gotten so boring. I don't find myself being as excited to get to the gym as I was when I first started. I've been trying to challenge myself with upping weights, but some days I just don't feel like it an do what I know I can do. Today is an off day and I have another half day at work B) so I can see my Kindergartner's spring concert this afternoon. I think I'll take her and her younger sisters to the movies afterward to see that Angry Birds movie. Yay for $5 tuesday at the theater (otherwise there's no way we could ever afford to go!)

• jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    Wow, everyone has been super busy lifting and getting workouts done this week - woohoo!

Dawn - I hear ya - I am bruised up too. Plus I have a skanky rash all over from the mud - but so do all my team mates from the gym so we are all looking hideous together, hahaha.

I have lifted x 2 so far this week. Maybe rest day/ maybe combat today - will see how I feel. Yuk day of meetings at work.
  • StephieWillcox
    Options
    Erm, guys, I can barely move this morning. DDP is not f-ing around!

So turns out that I don't use my glutes or core enough while lifting because they are absolutely totalled this morning.

Going to be an interesting session at lunch...
  • kimiuzzell
    kimiuzzell Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Ooh, stephie , that sounds like gooooood pain!!!!

I lifted this morning. Started "Strong" although I do need to read the book properly over the next few days.

I'm doing really well with reducing sugar. Most of the time, at least! I'm becoming more aware of what I'm eating and when....it's definitely helping me achieve a deficit so hopefully, eventually, I'll see a difference on the scales.
  • StephieWillcox
    Options
    Kimi - great news on both strong and reducing sugar!

Jo - hope you get another lifting session in (if you want it), and I hope your bruises clear up too!

Supermelinator - great work on almost getting to the end of Stage 1, hopefully the change in routine will get you excited again in Stage 2

Today was stronglifts, not the greatest session, I can't pendlay row to save my life, something that needs serious work.

Squats: 5x5 @ 35kg
    Bench: 5x5 @ 27.5kg
    Row: 3x5 @ 32.5kg before I packed it in and did some stretching.

I have the next two days off from work where I'm hoping to declutter and organise our house a bit - I don't know if any of you have heard of the "KonMari" method, but that's what I'm using.

I've already done it on my clothes and ended up with so much to give away and all my clothes neatly folded vertically in my drawers/wardrobe. It's crazy when you start doing it, but it actually makes so much sense. Now I can easily see all my clothes and pick out the top I want to wear that day rather than digging through a stack of clothes!!
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,985 Member
    Options
    Keep lifting ladies! BOOM!
  • Julieboolieaz
    Julieboolieaz Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Hey girls! I'm home from my wonderful 2 week European whirlwind! I'm up 10lbs, as expected, but thoroughly enjoyed myself! I'm hoping to lift today, but we'll see, I'm exhausted and cleaning too. I'd like to start a new workout routine, but not sure about Strong. It sounds a bit complicated and I thought NR was complicated.

Dawn-moving to LA? Wow! That's quick! You'll do great! I miss the beach (I went to college in SCal, but Orange County not la)

I'll unlikely catch up on the 47 posts I missed, I hope you're all doing great though!