time to re june vate - daily checkins for june!

Options

Replies

• kimiuzzell
    kimiuzzell Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    @lwhayes820 those weights are impressive! Well done you!

I've not found that the assisted pull ups have helped my OHPs - I seem to be forever stuck at the same weight there, although my form is stronger, I think. However, a few months ago, I needed to have far far more assistance in the pull ups - and I am much much closer to being able to lift myself up, so I MUST be getting stronger. I think I have noticed it most in general back strength - I could see my back and shoulder muscles working big time when I was deadlifting this week, and I've never noticed that in the same way in the mirror before.

I do have the issue that I tore a rotator cuff a couple of years back when I went over the handlebars of my bike....so sometimes it feels far stronger than other times - there are days when I still struggle to get my sports bra off, simply because I have nothing left to give in my shoulder! So, the OHP is being hindered by that, but also the assisted pullups will be helping strengthen it generally.

You're doing brilliantly, keep up the good work!!!

No gym for me today - but walking in the sunshine to get my steps up will have to do.
  • Deena_Bean
    Deena_Bean Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    8 mile bike ride this morning - what a gorgeous morning it was. I worked in a quick stop at the grocery store for half and half (mine was bad after vacation) and surprise donuts for the kiddos when they wake up, too. Lifts tomorrow :)
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    Did a bodyweight HIIT circuit today - wanted to do something that would get me going but I didn't want to put too much stress on myself because I am still feeling a little sore from the workout from the day before.

Jumping jacks, squats, lunges, dips, mountain climbers, planks, and wall sits - I probably looked like a mad woman in the open area next to the people on the ellipticals but oh well...I was working up quite a sweat!

Workout A tomorrow!
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    I probably looked like a mad woman in the open area next to the people on the ellipticals

hey. people who voluntarily get on an elliptical are in no position to judge anyone's mental health, so don't sweat it.

see what i did there? 'sweat'. heh heh.

• Ariadnula
    Ariadnula Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Back at it. Squat racks were full when I got there (late, due to family dramas) so I started with pull ups, which felt weird, somehow! I'm playing with a Nia Shanks routine for now.

Pull ups: 4x5 assisted and then almost 2 unassisted. I used to be able to do more! Maybe all those assisted ones wore me out
    Hip raises: 5x5 with an 8kg kettlebell, then a few with just my left leg to strengthen that glute
    OHP: 5x5 with 9kg dumbbells, because the racks were still full
    Squats: at last, a rack! But I'd run out of time, so 3x5 @ 55.5kg

• ninenines
    ninenines Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your thoughts all.

Ariadnula, the Nia Shanks routine looks great, I like how it's broken down in the post and I might look to adapt something similar. I've been looking to move on to something different, but haven't been able to commit to anything.

Stronglifts B yesterday afternoon
    Front Squat: 3x5 at 32.5kg
    OHP: 3,4,4 at 25kg
    DL: 1x5 at 75kg
    Ran out of time so skipped hip thrusts.

Stronglifts A this morning
    Back Squat: 3x5 at 35kg. Decided I might do front squats in the B workout and back squats in the A workout. Still trying to master form. Finding my hips are rising too fast.
    BP: 3x5 at 34kg
    BR: 5,5,5,5,4 at 38.5kg.
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,123 Member
    Options
    Just checking in! I had to do a serious deload due to my illness but I am working my way back up.

Squats 1x5x55/65/75, 5x5x85
    OHP 1x5x45/50/55/60, 5x5x50
    DL 1x5x135

Kettlebell swing 20x10x30

Walk 7.5 miles

Have a great day everyone!
  • kimiuzzell
    Options
    lovely to see you @fanncy0626!! Hope your recovery is going well x
  • spritey86
    spritey86 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Workout A - Week 6 workout 1

Squat - 5x5 50kg
    Bench - 5x5 35kg (was meant to move up to 37.5kg but with an empty gym and no spotter, played it safe)
    Row - 5x5 45kg

Waiting for Rows to feel heavier. Is this because 45kg isnt too heavy for this exercise? or is it a potential form issue? Get paranoid when i smash out the 5x5 weight with minimal rest.
  • Deena_Bean
    Options
    10 minute warmup and lifts today :)

Squats: 2x5x45, 1x3x75, 5x5x105
    OHP: 2x5x45, 5x5x65
    Dead: 1x5x125

The deloads are a good idea, I know, but I still hate seeing my numbers low. The OHP and Dead can easily move up, but the squats (as always) are slow going for me. I'll be building back up to 120 for a few weeks I'm sure (as opposed to days). I'm ok with that, though. I know if I rush up with squats I just hate them. I already don't love them, so might as well just poke my way back up. No rush, really...
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    I got very little sleep last night...but I tried to do the best I could.

Workout A today:
    Squat: 5x5 at 90 lbs with warm up of 1x5 each of 45 lbs, 55 lbs, and 65 lbs. That last rep is when I find myself mustering all I've got to push through it. I am taking advantage of the full three minutes of rest for these ones.

Bench: 5x5 at 60 lbs with a warm up of 1x5 at 45 lbs. Also taking advantage of the full three minutes of rest for these ones.

Row: 3/3/3/0/0 at 65 lbs. New weight - by this time, I was just exhausted. I kind of wrote it off, but next time I will focus better.

Tomorrow I have kickboxing and will be taking a rest on Friday so happy days!
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Strong lift rest day.

Kettlebell Swing

Goblet squat-6X7X 35
    Russian kettle bell swing 20 X7X 35

Walking-6.5 miles

I am in the process of increasing my weight on my kettle bell swing from 30 pounds to 35 pounds. I am doing these my rest day.
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Good to see you @fanncy0626

Did a 20+ minute jog this morning and a little walking. Got some packing done, last get togethers with coworkers, said my goodbyes. Now I need to pack up the car and tomorrow I will start driving to LA.
  • ninenines
    Options
    Good luck @DawnEmbers !
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    real week-3 squats still not done, sigh. cranky ql on tuesday, rack overrun with the bro brigade while i was in there today. i compromised and did the usual various-things-at-low-weights but nope; still need to do this week's squats.

but bench is on the record! and it is a record for me. 65/75/85, with two reps for the last weight.

i'm impressed with myself and impressed with wendler. it was only 'you just need one rep' but it was only last friday that i formally outdid my previous plateau weight of 80 (by one pound :p ), and now 85 has been doable too.

i may try for the squats tomorrow. if i don't make it then i'm going to miss them this week as friday is tday.
  • kimiuzzell
    Options
    safe travels @DawnEmbers and good luck with the next chapter of your life!!

@canadianlbs well done on the bench!

I managed to get on the squat rack this morning before work:

SQ 5x5 @67.5kgs. Will try and start on getting some 70kg sets in next time, although that would be the most I have lifted, so will be taking it steady.

OHP 5x5 @ 30kgs - still a little bit of help from the knees but definitely not as much as previously. I'll keep working on this one.

DL - 1x5 @ 80kgs then 4 single reps at 85kg which is a new best for me. My broken finger still concerns me with these which is why I decided to re-set after each rep at the higher weight. Very pleased with it, form was good as far as my back etc is concerned, and I know that I can improve further.

Plus some single leg dead lifts with a kettlebell and 2 x 12 full press ups, which I am getting much more confident with.

So, all good. Getting there - one rep at a time!

• Deena_Bean
    Options
    Cardio day - I jogged/walked 3 miles. Usually I can nail down 3 miles jogging in about 33 minutes or so - today my knee was an absolute bear, though. I stopped around 1.75 miles and walked for a while. Usually walking it out helps and I can jog again - today it didn't ease. I tried to mix the walking/jogging a little bit and nothing was working. So I limped home the rest of the way as quickly as I could. Popped some ibuprofen and hit the showers...pain's gone now, but I was really thinking during the painful last half that I may have to can running at this point. My knee has been an issue for years, but today had me wincing. Perhaps I'm meant to stick to my biking. I hate the idea of quitting it...we'll see :(
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Strong Lifts

Squats-1X5X 55/65/75, 5X5X 85
    BP-1X5X 55/65/70, 5X5X 75
    BR-5X5X 80

Kettlebell Swing

Russian kettle bell swing-20 1X 10 X 30

1000 mile walk challenge

5.5 miles
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    It is supposed to be 21 sets of kettle bell swings and not 201 that would be way too many LOL
  • ninenines
    Options
    @fanncy0626, I wouldn't put 201 sets past you, hahaha.

I decided to play around with a Wendler type workout this morning, before starting the cycle proper on Sunday.

Main: Deadlift warm up sets followed by 5 at 55kg, 5 at 60kg, then messed up plates and did AMRAP at 65kg instead of 70kg. Got 8. Then followed up with another 5 reps at 70kg.
    Boring but Big OHP: 5x8 at 20kg. Really should have got smaller bar out for this, but just reduced the reps. Luckily no netball tomorrow, so should be OK.
    Abs: 5 x 30s plank.

The Stronglifts app is a massive drawcard to that program. I've found a couple of Wendler apps, but since the assistance work can vary so much I haven't found one that is just right yet.