time to re june vate - daily checkins for june!

Options

Replies

• 5minty
    5minty Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    @DawnEmbers, safe journey!

SL-A

Squat: 45lbs 1x5, 65 1x5, 75, 5x5

BP: 45lbs 1x5, 55 1x5, 70 1x5

Row: 30lb DB's x2, 5x5 had to do incline bench rows as the rack & bar were being used
    +
    Skullcrushers: 25lb BB 2x15

Shrugs: 25lb DB's 2x15
  • lwhayes820
    lwhayes820 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    @DawnEmbers - safe travels and good luck!

Week 8/Day23/Total Weeks 8
    Workout A on Wednesday

Late posting, but here goes:
    Squats 5x5 @ 150lbs - felt good, but waited the 3 minutes. Was challenging.

Bench Press 5x5 @ 100 lbs! Felt wobbly on the last reps of sets 4 and 5. Right near the end, didn't think I would make it, but pushed through.

Barbell Row 5x5 @ 95lbs. Deloaded. This is my tough exercise. Really wanted to work on form to be sure my back is really working.
    Tried putting the barbell on the low j-hooks of my power rack to see if it was better to lift from this than from ground. I've seen people in You-tube videos do it both ways. In the end, I preferred lifting from the ground.

Thursday
    30 min HIIT Elliptical. Seeing an improvement in this area.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    Had a good kickboxing session today. No lifting until Saturday because tomorrow is my rest day.

This will be where the deload of my OHP will start. Back to square one essentially. I am nervous, to be honest and a little bummed but I knew it was going to happen eventually.
  • kimiuzzell
    kimiuzzell Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Seriously good weight there lwhayes!!

Ninenines I keep looking at where to go next....I'm thinking 3x5 at this point but have also been looking at 5/3/1.....not sure yet.

Samantha... Don't fret about the Ohp deload too much. I still can't push beyond 25kgs perfectly after 8 months!!
  • scrittrice
    scrittrice Posts: 345 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    @ninenines I use Wendlerized and enter accessories manually. I like the app, but I do wish it had the ability to copy the accessories from workout to workout or cycle to cycle. Then again, it's free. I go through and enter a bunch at a time when I have a moment, then adjust on the day if I need to.

Wrote the above and was just doing that when I clicked on something that's either new in this version or I never noticed it before and it looks as if you actually CAN add accessories so that they show up every time you do a particular exercise. So even more heartily recommended.
  • Deena_Bean
    Deena_Bean Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Lift day!
    Squat: 2x5x45, 1x3x75, 5x5x110
    Bench: 2x5x45, 5x5x80
    Row: 5x5x80

Working my way ack up!
  • BethAnnieT
    BethAnnieT Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Wow, it's been a long time. I've had injuries, don't like my gym, yadda yadda. BUT I went back on Monday and started over on SL5x5, just wanting mostly to test out my joints that have been hurting. I did Workout A, just the bar for everything. Had some slight pain in the elbow and shoulder during BP, very minor. And oddly enough my squat form felt a whole lot better this time around. In my time off from lifting I have been watching form videos and reading up on how a squat is supposed to look and feel, and I think I did it right-er this time. So I've got that going for me.

I did notice that just 45 lb on the squat was... not challenging, exactly, just not as easy as I thought it would be. I'm just happy to be back. Next week I'll be there M/W/F, and will continue on from there if all joints hold up ok.

I have been doing C25K for the past few weeks and that's going really well this time around, so there's that. :)
  • kimiuzzell
    Options
    Welcome back, BethAnnieT! Take it steady and you will soon be back where you want to be!

No lifting for me today - but I did do a short HIIT workout with dumbells this morning before work.....which I can already feel in my glutes. Hurrah for squat jumps and reverse lunges, hey!!
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts Rest Day

Kettlebell Swing

Goblet squat-3X7X 35
    Russian kettle bell swing-16 X7X 35

Walk 1000 Miles Challenge

5.5 miles

It's amazing how much heavier 5 pounds feels when you swing it. Week one of transitioning from the 30 pound kettle bell complete!
  • HeatherLeAnn622
    HeatherLeAnn622 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    yesterday's workout was awful. My squats have been progressing perfectly, but my Overhead press has stalled and I haven't progressed at all on DL. :(

Squats: 5x5 115
    OHP: 1x5 70 and 4x5 65 (I had to take off weight after the 1st set)
    DL: 1x5 95 (barely)

There are no training plates at the gym, so I'm having to stack plates on either side to get the bar up high enough. This is incredibly time-consuming for 1 set. I feel my form was suffering before because I hadn't been doing that. I will just need to keep watching vids and deal with having to stack the weights.
  • Isca_1
    Isca_1 Posts: 124 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    If your gym has the aerobic steps, try using those to get the bar and lower weight plates off the ground to a lvl that is good for you. I do those with the barbell row, helps out a ton.

I stopped doing 5x5 last week (can I still post??) I found that I hit some pretty good weights doing the program, but I deloaded due to injuries. I think I was just shy of 6 months on the program.

I moved to a program that will be 5 days a week, split: day 1, chest and calves; day 2 back, butt and abs; day 3 shoulders & calves; day 4, Arms and abs and day 5 Legs & butt. Today was day 5. I am getting the feel for some of the new lifts with weights and such. It's 3 sets of 10 reps (there about) and when the weight is higher drop down to lower reps. So far, I am sore, which I never was with SL, which I always thought was kind of odd, even at the highest weight I loaded. I am also coming out of the workouts dripping in sweat, which makes me feel like I'm actually doing something (I know odd).

I will try this one out and see how it goes. I have also added in cardio twice a week, on the bike. Interval training but only for 15 mins. I am going to try and add in some walking on the treadmill at an incline. I'll give it a couple of months and see how I do.
  • ninenines
    ninenines Posts: 197 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    kimiuzzell wrote: »
    Ninenines I keep looking at where to go next....I'm thinking 3x5 at this point but have also been looking at 5/3/1.....not sure yet.

I've been all over the place in deciding and it's taken me ages to actually make the change. I've moved down to 3x5 now on most lifts with Stronglifts, but I also decided I wanted to be lifting 4x a week. It took me a while to get my head around Wendler and I only ended up getting the book this week. At first I just wanted a program to follow, but now the customization of Wendler is appealing. Also yesterday I just woke up and felt tired of the Stronglifts routine.

@scrittrice thank you for the app recommendation, I'll check it out.

Welcome back @BethAnnieT
  • HeatherLeAnn622
    HeatherLeAnn622 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Isca_1 wrote: »
    If your gym has the aerobic steps, try using those to get the bar and lower weight plates off the ground to a lvl that is good for you. I do those with the barbell row, helps out a ton.

I never thought to check for aerobic steps. Thanks for the tip!
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!

I'm now in LA. Drove from 4 am till after 9 pm in order to get here. Stopped at a couple of food places. I start work tomorrow. Today I haven't done much. Did go to the gym though, since needed to check out the locations over here. It was okay. At least had a place to squat and such. Had a guy suggest I look up someone who does powerlifting after the guy commented on how strong I am. Always throws me off cause I wasn't even trying for heavy, just did 135 for squats. Then spent the afternoon napping with the cat.

Squat - 3x5 @ 135
    OHP - 3x5 @ 65
    Deadlift - 1x6 @ 135, 3x5 @ 185 (conventional, sumo, conventional)
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    very volatile weather here, and it's had the usual effect on me. i was sneezing and streaming with snot between sets, but ones week is done. ohp 50/60/67.5, deadlift 115/140/145. i've had a bit of an oblique/ql sprain all week long, so i was pleased just to get the weights and do one extra rep for them both.

also did my squats with heels up on chip plates, since i've been out of the gym most of this week. 70/80/90 and pleased with this too. pass the kleenex and bring on deload week.
  • kimiuzzell
    Options
    I lifted this morning after an impromptu run with an old friend last night... My thighs were screaming before I even started today, but.....

SQ 5X5 @ 70kgs. All reps good form so am dead chuffed as this is my PR :-)

Row 5X5 @ 45kgs

Chest Press.... Had to use the cable machine as the rack was busy. 5/5/5/5/4. @42.5kgs

Shame about the last rep as it really should have been mind over matter, but really pleased to have nailed those squats.

And no hip issues from the run. 2.5 miles so I am more than pleased with that.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    Workout B today.

Squat: 95 lbs for 5x5 with a 1x5 warm up of 45, 55, and 65 lbs. The ugly faces have become more frequent - pushing out that last rep is becoming killer. Definitely using the full 3 minute rest this time. I don't think I would be able to do it if I didn't. It really does take it out of you.

OHP: 45 lbs for 5/5/5/5/3. Ah, the dreaded deload. I was nervous but I took my time and utilized the rest periods. I definitely am going to look more into fractional weights for this one.

Deadlift: 85 lbs for 1x5. This one I'm happy about because I think I am getting a better hang of them. I can feel it more in my glutes and hamstrings. Looking forward to pulling the the weight that I was supposed to be starting with next week.

No lifting tomorrow but I will try to get some cardio in.

Have a good weekend!
  • kimiuzzell
    Options
    I have bought lifting straps for deadlifts. My broken finger is preventing me from gripping properly, so I've decided to give the straps a go.....watch this space!!!
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    Strong lifts rest day.

6 mile hike.
  • pamcuster
    pamcuster Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Hey everybody!
    I joined this group just today...I've been on MFP forever, but just started the SL program two weeks ago (today was my sixth workout.) Looking through all your posts here, I have learned that I am embarrassingly weak! (Well, I kinda already knew that! lol!)
    Anyway, would you all mind if I tag along/join in?!
    <3