Options

Replies

• Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I can't remember if I mentioned it before, but I've been reading up on the latest Michael Mosley diet, and have the book. It's supposed to help reverse diabetes or something like that - I'm not recommending it, but just have been reading about it and thought it might be interesting. I've got the book but there's quite a lot of information on the website https://thebloodsugardiet.com/ .

I did give it a try a while back. I wasn't really committed because my blood sugar has been OK so far (thankfully!) and it was quite extreme by my standards. Basically, it's 800 calories a day, low-carb, Mediterranean. It claims that you don't feel hungry and actually once I got into it, I didn't feel too bad - but I still wanted to eat even though I wasn't hungry - lol! It's getting over those first couple of days, and I keep meaning to go back to it just to get rid of these few extra pounds. I'm not sure what you do after the 8 weeks - I haven't managed to get that far! Probably go on to one of his alternatives - 800 calories 2 days a week, still Mediterranean.

Again, not recommending - quite extreme and I didn't manage to stick with it - but maybe worth looking at some of the thinking behind it (it's based on some research - although from what I've read it seems to be mainly based on a few studies rather than an overview) for anybody who is interested.

I'm loving reading about your glaciers and extreme heat! Just boring old wind and clouds here in the UK!
  • Snooozie
    Snooozie Posts: 3,447 Member
    Options
    Susan - I was chugging water when I read Kobiemom's comment on your profile... "it would be like spending a week in a dryer" !!!! near choked to death FROM laughing!! Hope you guys have a great trip and stick to "indoor" activities perhaps to celebrate?? wink wink nuge nudge!! :p
  • Vailara
    Options
    ^^ Funny, but I think there's some truth in it - I'm not sleeping well at the moment, and I don't think that's good for weight loss. You'd think those hours awake would at least burn a few extra calories, but no!
  • suzyqholland
    suzyqholland Posts: 1,353 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies! Just thought I'd check in with everyone. Things have been going well for me weight wise. I've been doing the 5:2 thing and have managed to lose 13 pounds!!! The two fast days really aren't that bad. I try to eat around 600 calories and that's been going well. The other days I stick to my (about) 1400 calories or so....sometimes more if I exercised that day. I've also been trying to walk 3 miles every evening after dinner so we've been eating earlier. I go in for my knee surgery on Monday so I won't be able to exercise for a few weeks. That has me worried that the weight will creep back on so I'm determined to stick to my 1400 5 days and 600 2 days. Hopefully I won't gain any back.

I hope everyone is doing well and enjoying their summer! Stay hydrated and keep moving!
  • Snooozie
    Options
    Hi all!! Been a crazy week of work and wedding blah blah blah but finally on some down time and using it to take a hard look at my lack of weight loss.

Suzy - that's awesome news.. SO proud of you an so happy - that's a fab accomplishment on the 13bs!!! i'm glad u found something that works for you in the 5:2; I can't do that with the T2 as my blood sugar levels would plummet and spike, but its great you have found what works for you!! Well done!!

milove - great to see you thanks for popping in!!

I don't think u have to worry about ater the surgery tho as keeping in mind fat loss is 80% diet and only 20% exercise.. just keep on with the program you have of eating and Im sure you will be fine!! good luck with the surgery Monday and pls let us know how you're doing!

Vail; I have heard of that diet but never looked into it. And I swear i'm a sleep eater; yes I found cookie crumbs in my bed one night. and since I sleep alone.... yup. so even nap aren't safe for me lol

Susan - hope you're not sweltering on your anniversary get away and that youre sticking with indoor activities.. ya know.. swimming....er..... whatever hahahaha..

Patrice - when is your doc app?? pls let us know how things are going at your end?

Right... without going into long and boring blathering; I have lost NO weight at all, and I have had to step back an take a look at what ive been doing. and be truthful. which frankly sucks. I've been kidding myself that I have been working "hard" at the loss and getting frustrate that nothing's happening... but a good hard look has made me admit that it hasn't been real work, more fake work. and I've been resisting the damn logging because I hate it. nd somewhere in my head I thot if I started logging again, it would mean I would have to accept that I would have to do it forever. which I don't want to do. On a recent course I was on, one of the things they talked about in dealing with stress was "if you can't change the situation, change how you think about it"... there was a lot more but tht phrase wtuck with me and I realized I can use it for my weight loss too. in that if logging is what works for now, then see it as a tool an use it. nothing says I gotta do it forever, but if it works for what I need now.. then so be it. So... im changing my thinking about logging, AND about the fat that I want to lose. Getting back into remembering why I wanted to lose it in the first place. So moving onwards an upwards from today and getting back into focusing on what I want for myself.

Ok, so it was a little blathering LOL.

good to see people posting again btw..
  • suzyqholland
    Options
    Snoozie, I can relate about the "fake work." I basically phoned it in for about a year and managed to gain 25 pounds. I continued to play around and complain that I wasn't losing any weight but I wasn't really serious about it. I think I just wanted to complain but eat whatever I wanted. It's amazing the mind games we play with ourselves. Good for you for recognizing what's happening and changing your approach. Logging has become my necessary evil if I want to stay on top of things. Good luck! I know you can do it!! Thanks for the words of encouragement regarding my surgery. I'm ready to just get it done and get back to full strength!
  • Vailara
    Options
    Well done, SuzyQ! I have tried 5:2 a couple of times - the version I tried had no calorie restrictions on the 5 days, but I still found it difficult. However, I know people it has worked for. Great to know it's working for you. Maybe the secret is just sticking with it - lol! Good luck with your surgery :).

Snoozie, I'm resisting logging too, so I know where you're coming from. I'm trying to avoid eating outside of mealtimes (three meals a day), which generally works well for me as it's so much easier to get an idea of how much you are eating. I have the same feeling as you about not wanting to calorie count for the rest of my life, and I've successfully lost weight without doing it so reluctant to commit to it - lol! I do calorie count a little to get an idea - for instance count breakfast and lunch and then I have an idea of how much is left for the evening meal. But I find it a bit soul-destroying to do it all the time! But you're right about changing thinking - I have ALSO successfully lost weight WITH calorie counting, so I know it works.

And yes, "fake work" is the worst - the trouble is that if FEELS as if you're working at it all the time, but with no results! Been there, done that. Best of luck with the new approach!

• Snooozie
    Options
    Thanks Vail - its always good for me to hear what others are doing, have done and where they're at as well; it helps when youre looking at your own direction I think to have others who "get" where your're at... that's part of what helped me succeed with my initial loss; having the support of the group and also seeing others succeed helps me remember I CAN do it.. but its gonna be up to me to put the work into it and get the results! And im pumped at the moment (an i'll take a moment anytime hahahaha) so appreciate the commiseration and encouragement!

heading out for my walkies.. will check in later! thinking of you this morning Suzy with the knee surgery and hoping for a speedy recovery (and good pain meds!!!) ha!
  • cbmcphillips
    cbmcphillips Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Good morning Ladies...

I really understand about the weight gain :( gotta start moving more and keeping the junk out of the house - I can and will do this....

I don't want to, but I think that logging in is the only way to keep me under control...

Stay cool Susan... and like Snoozie said "indoor activities"..... giggles...

I've never had the sugar issues.. but need to be careful... love and hate sweets...esp. chocolate....

Talk to you ladies later.

Carol
  • milove1029
    milove1029 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Nice to read everyone's comments. Vail that seems like too little calories, however low carbs will definitely keep your sugar under control. I am in a good place Susan and Snoozie! Back on track with trying to record my eating. Reset my pounds lost and still over the new wt. number hopefully, will be back to that four pound weight lost or I will reset my weight again. We will see. Carol logging is the way I did it the first time so that is why I am trying to log again daily so I do agree with you.
  • PatriceMG
    PatriceMG Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    So I just decided to go on the Metformin. I am 1 pt away from being a diabetic and my Dr doesn't want to see it go up, obviously, so I am to try it for 6 months along with diet and exercise to see what happens. It seems to be making me nauseous so maybe that's how I'm gonna lose weight! ;) I don't feel like eating anymore. Indigestion any time I eat. One pill every 12 hours. Bleh! Plus I started at the gym this week. Got a couple of rounds with a personal trainer. Now my abs and knees are barking at me too... This too shall pass...

I need to start logging again as I am in agreement with you all. It worked for me the first time around. It's a pain, but a necessary evil in my book. Just gotta do it! Let's go ladies! Log, log, log! :)
  • Snooozie
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Patrice - I sent a PM... give yourself a couple of weeks for your body to adjust to the Metformin; most of the side affects I had disappeared in a month or so.. but I never had the nausea; I had heard some have weight loss as a side effect but they didn't mention that's maybe the reason.. yuck!! huge kudos on starting at the gym.... well done you!!

I am working on getting back to logging; 2 days under my belt and altho its a pain, what's MORE of a pain is realizing just how much I've been eating... it seems in no time im up to 1200 ... wth?? and seeing my carb totals has been a slap upside the head too... so im trying to work my head into seeing the logging as a good thing; reminding me veggies and protein will fill me up more. So a good wake up call and hopefully will help get me back on track to losing faster...

Suzy - hope to hear how the surgery went and how you're feeling!!

Seehee.. how was the anniversary get away?? hope you didn't melt (except romantically??) ha

the logging is also helping with my "fake work" issues lol.. did the scale hop this morning just to set proper weight; not an ounce gone but hoping by next week with the logging and real work that will change!

Time2 - hope all is well in your corner of the world, and you too CM!

Vail - sorry to hear you've been struggling with more than the weight stuff.. hope you're feeling better this week!!

Its a little cool this week but nice and sunny so have the whole week for lake walks before going back to work Sat... so happy camper!
  • Time2LoseWeightNOW
    Time2LoseWeightNOW Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    I'm with you all, Snoozie, Patrice, Suzy, Seehe, Milove, Vail, Carol ...I hope a week of paying closer attention to EATS will drop the scale down a lb or two...I am stuck bobbing up and down around 220- 223. I would love to see new territory!

Planning to get in more steps between work...instead of just sitting and waiting...
    More water.......
    No snacking

Confession time:
    I have been eating chips like there is no carbs in them at all... We have had company all last week so I bought chips & dips to fill out the hotdogs & sandwich meals...and snacks....but guess who is filling out!! Yep, ME!

• Snooozie
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Gail I went on a chip eating binge about 10 days ago.. little over a week... seriously... out of control... the only thing that saed me from going any deeper at the time was how crappy I felt afterwards!! so I can relate!! I even bought "no name" store brand ones in the hopes I would hate them.. I didn't.

but been "clean" a week now and back to only allowing myself ONE actual serving a month... is it july yet???? :)
  • Time2LoseWeightNOW
    Time2LoseWeightNOW Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    That is too funny, Snoozie! At least you are smart enough to limit yourself , but, I know what you mean about the no names....sometimes a chip is still a chip...LOL and I WILL eat it!! in excess. At least we are not eating them 7 days a week, like I used to do.

No snacking, today,
    More water consumed
    Steps will be in excess of 10,000 after shopping with Young Son this evening , looking for a birthday present for his new girlfriend.
  • seehe
    seehe Posts: 946 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Lol about the chips Gail and Snooozie- I can sooo relate! I am a poster child for the Lays motto "bet you can't eat just one"
    Patrice- Hope you are tolerating your meds better
    Milove- happy for you that you're back in a good place ;-)
    Suzy- how are you ? Hope all is well from surgery.
    Vail- I hear you about resistance to the commitment of logging - I'm in the same boat - soul destroying is a great description. Somehow I need to at least figure out some kind of compromise with it though cause it worked for me before as well.
    Carol- good to see you- how are things?

It sounds like the issue of logging is a relevant one for lots of Hatters- and here I thought it was just me lol. I'm still resisting but do keep kind of a running log in my head. Yeah, I know that's not the same, but that's all I seem willing to do for now. My biggest challenge is consistency- so working on that issue right now. Sometimes setting daily or weekly goals helps me, so I've decided to post those again to help me stay on track .

Goals for this week Monday- Friday
    1) increase water to minimum 6 glasses a day
    2) eat more meals at home which means plan meals and go to grocery store !

Wishing everyone a healthy and happy week :D
    ~Susan
  • seehe
    seehe Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    PS- Side note- It's REALLY hot here- 116 degrees yesterday!! A little humor about it from Phoenix

f2xklc7oi9jo.jpeg

• milove1029
    milove1029 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Can you imagine if temperatures ever got that high!! Good morning ladies!! Milove is in the house sending everyone lots of love. I am trying to log every day I have fallen short but setting the goal takes me near. When I log, I am less likely to binge. I had to go away on a retreat and then a wedding both out of town just couldn't record my food so I gave up. Patrice are you eating something at the time that you are taking the metformin? Sometimes when you have an empty stomach, you can feel nausea. I have been looking for the low-calorie packages, example 100 calories Oreos and only take one package with me to bed.

Ladies have a great week!!
  • suzyqholland
    Options
    Hello ladies! I've been trolling and not posting while I recuperate from my knee surgery. Everything went well but the doc said I will definitely need a knee replacement later on down the road. Oh joy. I haven't been logging and not really watching what I eat but have been nauseous from the pain meds so have only gone up a couple pounds. I started physical therapy today and will start logging tomorrow. I've got to get back on it!! I'm not much of a chip eater but I did manage to kill half a bag the other day. The entire time I told myself to stop...but didn't.

Try to stay cool Susan...I can't imagine the heat where you are. I'm in Atlanta and it gets hot here but jeez!!!

Good luck with the logging ladies! We can and will do this!!