Daily Chat Thread

Options

Replies

• SuperMelinator
    SuperMelinator Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Measurements yesterday were *awesome*! Last measurement was 7 or 8 weeks ago, and I've been slacking the last three or four weeks, BUT....still seeing progress!

From last measurments: Waist down .5", Thigh UP by .75 (which I think is either a fluke or I put on some crazy muscle in the last two months haha!), calf down .5, bicep down .25. Neck, chest, hips all stayed the same, and weight is still the same (~160).
  • SuperMelinator
    SuperMelinator Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    And most importantly, my bfp dropped another 1%, so down 2.88% from where I started at the beginning of March.
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Awesome SuperMelinator!

I haven't taken measurements in a couple of months. I should probably do that one of these days.
  • kimiuzzell
    kimiuzzell Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Superb progress supermel. Hurrah for the tape measure!!

Julie, how exciting re the fostering!!

Beeps, keep up the good work :)

• tchrmom04
    tchrmom04 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Lots of good stuff going on here. :)

Beeps: Glad the surgery is over and you are on the mend!
    Super: Those measurements are awesome! I'm bad about that - but I need to do that too.
    Julie- Congratulations! Lots of excitement coming soon!!
    Kimi- yikes - I hope you got some sleep!
    Stephie - you are brave to video. I still feel out of my element in the free weights area....hopefully I'll feel more confident soon.

We got back from Great Wolf Lodge and our mini-vacay yesterday (Friday). We stayed Tuesday through Friday and I exercised and did weights on Monday and did cardio only on Tuesday. But during the stay I was way more active than I thought I'd be. Hoping for good things to happen on weigh in day tomorrow. :) But the Mexican food we had Thursday night for my daughter's birthday was worth it. So even if it is a gaining week - I am good. :)

I started Phase 1 - Stage 2 workout A today. It was a bit different. I did the big bar with 5 kg on each side for my deadlift. I'm thinking the bar itself is about 45 lbs - am I thinking right? I think I could have done a bit more - so hopefully for my next time doing that workout I'll try to up the weight a bit. We will see if I'm sore tomorrow. Those plank pulldowns are weird though - not sure if I'm doing those right or not either.

• kimiuzzell
    Options
    so, encouraged by the fact that the new dress I bought for the ball on Friday was comfortably roomy (a uk 10, so very pleased with that, and a "column" style so no way of hiding!), and a couple of "you've lost weight" comments I have had over the weekend, I took my measurements. All locations show a reduction in cms, including my arms and thighs, which I am most pleased with.

And the dreaded scales showed a decent loss today. My food habits have really taken a turn for the better over the last month or so, and along with the exercise and additional walking, it is all coming together nicely.

With Brexit, however, I am already tired and starting the working week off on the back foot, so to speak. These are the sort of weeks where my eating and exercise can easily go to pot, so I do need to focus not only on markets and my clients, but on myself too. Otherwise I shall get cross with myself and that won't help anyone or anything!!

Gym news = yesterday I squat 5/5/3/4/3 @75kgs - my best yet, and more than my bodyweight, so I am very pleased with that. My DL was 85kgs, another best. If only I could have similar improvements with my OHP!!!!!

Rest day today. Happy Monday everyone - have a good week.
  • AigreDoux
    AigreDoux Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    Good morning, everyone!

You guys in the UK have Brexit. We have Donald Trump. Sigh.

I finished up Stage 6 on Saturday. Yesterday I got out early for a run, planned 4.5 miles. I must have accidentally shut off my tracker when I put my phone in my pocket, so my first 1+ mile didn't get recorded :( I only realized as I was running along and the little voice hadn't announced the mile yet and I was way past where it usually would have. So I ran another 3.7 miles after I turned it on, but find it so so annoying to not know exactly what mileage I did and to have it recorded in my log accurately. A little OCD of me, I know!

Today I started Strong, Stage 7, Workout A, #1
    Suspended body saw 2x8
    Squats: Instruction is to pick an easy weight, do 5 squats, then add 5 lbs up until RPE 8, hopefully about 5 sets. I got my math all messed up, though, so ended up going heavier than I had planned but decided to give it a try anyway. So I did 5@38 lbs, 5@55 lbs, 5@59 lbs, 5@66 lbs, and 4@71 lbs. 71 lbs is a PR for me, and a little closer to my goal of being able to squat with my "big" plates soon (83 lbs). :)
    Cable row 2x10@50 lbs
    Single leg RDL 2x10@37.5 lbs
    Pushup 2x10@18 inches
    Supine hip ext/leg curl 2x10

Kimi - wow, your work is really paying off! I have a love/hate relationship with comments about weight loss. Nice to know that it is noticeable but then always feel like the person is commenting on how fat I was before. My issues.

Sherry - the plank pulldowns are weird, I remember those!

Supermel - awesome on the decrease in body fat and measurements!

Julie - wow, what a great undertaking with the foster child. I can imagine that will be pretty consuming though.

Stephie - It is nice seeing your progress, you're doing great!
  • StephieWillcox
    StephieWillcox Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Aigre - both situations are not great! But if Donald Trump does get elected at least he will have advisors that are pretty much running the country - he's not going to be able to do whatever he wants. Brexit will calm down too, just chaos right now.

I totally get the OCD on the miles thing, that would have annoyed me too.

To all those with decrese in measurements/weight - awesome work. I haven't actually weighed or measured in ages, I probably should do, but in general I'm pretty happy that I'm looking different so don't want to dereail my enthusiasm if nothing has actually changed numbers wise!

Julie - that is a wonderful thing to be foster parent - are you looking to adopt, or foster until adoptive parents are found? I don't know how it works at all.

Gym today:

Squats: 5x5 @ 52.5kg - kimi I do not know how you are squatting so much, you are CRAZY!

Bench: 5x5 @ 37.5kg

Row: 5x5 @ 37.5kg

I'm pleased with how everything is going at the gym. My squats are hard, and I fight knee cave pretty much the entire time, but I feel them working "properly" now (i.e. actually feel something in my glutes, and get a bounce out of the hole). I'm definitely getting close to a weight that I need to stay at for more than one session.

• kimiuzzell
    Options
    Oh the joys of politics, hey!!

Stephie, I am right there with you over not measuring for fear of not being shown what you expect - I've done that many times before, so now I only get the tape measure out once every few months - last time was February, so I'm not due to do it again much before the Christmas excesses start haha!

Your own weights are coming along just fine - 52.5kgs is a heavy weight and some people never get to that! I have to admit that if it wasn't for seeing DawnEmbers lift so much, I probably wouldn't have even tried to keep going heavier - but I want what she's got! Dawn, you are a massive inspiration!!! I battled with knee cave for ages, but I think I'm almost ok with that now. I did have one where I started to lean forwards yesterday which made it difficult to get back up, but I grit my teeth and somehow managed it.

My goal was always to lift my bodyweight - I've got that now, so its time to look towards the next one. Hubby is 100kgs in weight.....I'd like to be able to get that eventually, but for now, if I can get to 80kgs by the end of this year, I'll be thrilled. Remember, I have skier's legs, so they are pretty much my strongest area. My OHPs suck, and I'm still dreaming of my first chin-up/pull-up, so I've plenty that I feel I am lagging in!
  • Julieboolieaz
    Julieboolieaz Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Kim-you're doing framing fabulous!! Roomy size 10 column dress? We weighed around the same and I'm no where near that thin! And your squat is amazing!! Wow!! Be rogue, you've worked hard and are reaping what you've sown!! Wtg!!

Mel-woohoo on the inches!! Amazing! Wtg!!

Stephie-we're open to adopting, but I'm 47, so not sure I'm up for adopting an infant? AZ is big on reunification, but some situations are irreconcilable so it happens often. We plan to take it one placement at a time and see what God has planned for us :)
    You're doing great too!

Aigre-I got confused a lot with NR, but keep going and it'll fall into place. You're doing great!!

Tchr-good for you working out on vacation!! Impressive!

I seem to only be lifting once a week :(, need to work on that! I'm down to the 150's again, weight wise, finally! Re losing after the trip has been rough! And I leave Friday for a staycation by a pool for a week. Hope to work out a few times too. I'll refind my zeal, but want to lose a few more lbs. my lifting is junk on low cals :(.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,985 Member
    Options
    You are all BOSS lifters!!

For sure.

When this thread started, we were wandering around trying to figure out when to move up from 10 lb DB's to 12.5's....so, when I see the #'s that are being posted around here, it is just FABULOUS!

Amazing.

I also find it "inspirational", so I am so glad you keep posting.

I did 2 x 45-minute walks, yesterday. Not fast. But I did them. Today, I am back at work, so I won't have time for that much walking. I will try and get out this evening...perhaps for 2 x 30 minute walks. And then I just build up from there.

I do think I can begin lifting, again, next Monday, but I will drop the weight waaayyyyy back down, again, and rebuild it all the way back up. (and my numbers weren't very high...except my WHT...) - I have all summer to get back to FULL-STRENGTH.

BOOM!
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    I am a little behind. Haven't spent much time online with work at main job and doing a secondary to get a little extra income going. Saturday before work I had bench press day. Thursday was squat day. And yesterday evening, I did deadlifts. Though I keep forgetting my phone, which makes it hard to follow the app recommendations, but yesterday I had written down the main lift numbers in my notebook ahead of time, and that helped. It went okay but everything is a bit in the air right now so we'll see how everything falls in the end.

Unfortunately, part of the stand still right now is waiting for bad news. My step-grandmother (stepdad's mother) has been suffering from Alzheimer's and the last few years have been rough. Now, she can't even get out of bed so it's waiting, which could be any day. If we have to, me and my sister are going to drive to get there but until then, on hold.

I haven't been eating the best, in that I've been not eating enough. I was going for around 1300 for this part of the cut but I've been just over 1000 on a few days. Not quite what I want to also facilitate lifting heavy. I'm between 128-130 on the scales right now. Working on food but budget is rough right now trying to make the rent for the new place. August will be easier, but July is going to be a very tight month.

Bench Press Day
    1x8 @ 45, 1x8 @ 50, 1x8 @ 60, 1x3 @ 70, 1x3 @ 85, 1x6 @ 95

chin up 3x3 bw
    bicep cable curl 3x8 @ 35
    facepull 3x8 @ 35

Deadlift Day
    low bar squat (for warm up) 2x8 @ 45, 1x8 @ 95, 1x5 @ 135, 3x3 @ 155 with belt

Deadlift 1x6 @ 95, 1x6 @ 135, 1x3 @ 160, 1x3 @ 185, 1x6 @ 205

There, now caught up for now.
  • StephieWillcox
    Options
    Julie - Well that is just wonderful of you. I would love to think that I could offer that at some point, but I just don't know. Hubby has agreed to baby number two at least (although won't be trying for a year yet), but I'd like more than that :)

Today I just did some stretching at the gym, some hip openers, hamstring and calf stretches mostly. Seemed to help, I feel looser, so hopefully that will help my squats.

If anyone has any resources for stretching things (youtube or websites or anything) I would love to know about them. I feel so out of my depth with that but would LOVE to be flexible again (I danced until I was 18 and was super flexible).
  • AigreDoux
    Options
    Stephie - if you find a good stretching workout, let me know too! I have always been flexible in some areas (ankles, quads) but super tight in others (hamstrings, hip flexors). I would like more balance.

Dawn - moving is the worst! We moved about a year ago and I still don't feel completely settled. Sorry to hear about your grandmother, that sounds very stressful. Glad you've gotten to the gym though.

Beeps - So glad you are feeling better! Take it easy though! Your strength will come back in no time but make sure you don't injure your surgery getting back too quickly.

Kimi - you are a squatting machine!

Julie - good job on the weight loss!

Legs were a little sore this morning after a long run on Sunday and squats yesterday. So I did a slow 2 mile run. It was also 70 degrees and 93% humidity at 5 am, so I was drenched and heart rate was up despite a slow pace. I know it's nothing compared to the actual south, but geez.

Lift again tomorrow, trying to push through some workouts this week since I'll be away for the weekend for a "deload/refeed" (i.e. sit around a lot and eat lots of cheese and wine).
  • tchrmom04
    tchrmom04 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I have a question for everyone. What site do you use for determining your BMR/calories per day? I go to different sites and get different answers. I currently hover about 14-1500 per day and if I exercise I will go to about 1700. But it is all just a guessing game. :) I ask not so much about the weight loss aspect - but that would be a pleasant bonus! :) But more because I am now in Stage 2 of the Strong program - and I'd like to think I could add a little muscle.

So what has worked for all of you?

• Beeps2011
    Options

If anyone has any resources for stretching things (youtube or websites or anything) I would love to know about them. I feel so out of my depth with that but would LOVE to be flexible again (I danced until I was 18 and was super flexible).

Gosh, I don't have any recommendations!! There must be a gazillion, though....
    tchrmom04 wrote: »

So what has worked for all of you?

Again, I USED to have a site that i went to when I started on mfp...but cannot remember, now. Venus Factor was the program that helped me nail down what I could safely eat, re: # of calories....I will say that it is a LOT LESS than any other site would have predicted, and, at 5'9" tall, I really do NOT get that many calories!! (about 1,650-1,750 per day, frankly)
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    I lifted, today!!!

Not very much lower body (because you have to engage your abs to do squats or deadlifts properly) and, obviously, NO abs, at all. So, I did some shoulders, back, chest, bi's. The "tri's" move I was feeling in my abs, so I just used pure bodyweight. I did do some partial lunges and some partial sumo squats. Had a REALLY good stretch at the end. Felt great!

BOOM!
  • kimiuzzell
    Options
    Good news on the exercise beeps. Hope you're not too sore from it today. I've had a c-section before so understand the restrictions and frustrations!!

Leg day for me yesterday.... 10x10 squats and 10x10 kettlebell lunges. With only a minute rest between sets, it certainly works me hard! I was going to do arms instead, but the squat rack was free and there was no way I was passing up that opportunity!!

• StephieWillcox
    Options
    Beeps - good work, take it easy though, you've been through a lot!

Kimi - the 10x10 squats just seems like hell. Good for you for getting it done! I tend to keep my rests to 60 - 90 secs otherwise I am there FOREVER. I know Stronglifts says to rest 90secs, 3 mins or 5 mins but I simply do not have time for that!

Tch - In general I just pick a calorie amount and stick to it for at least 4 weeks and see what my weight/measurements do! I'm on the larger side (around 185lbs) so tend to eat 1800 (when I'm logging). If that doesn't give me results then I lower to 1600ish. I tend not to go lower than that.

Aigre - I found a yoga routine for weightlifters/powerlifters/bodybuilders so I will give that a go and let you know if it's any good!

Lifting today:

Squats: 5x5 @ 57.5kg - yikes, some of these were SLOOOOOW past the sticking point! But I got it done. Still fighting knee cave - I WILL NOT BE DEFEATED

OHP: 4,3 @ 32.5kg, 4, 3, 4 @ 30kg - haha, the first 2 sets DESTROYED my arms so even going back to last session's weights was a no go! I'm going to go back to 30kg for a few sessions before I try 32.5 again

Deadlifts: 5x1 @ 75kg - BOOM. Man I love deadlifts
  • AigreDoux
    Options
    Stephie - do let me know! Your numbers are really coming along.

Kim - I'm telling you, you are a beast!

Beeps - good for you getting back to it so soon! Hope you continue to feel well!

Tchrmom - I roughly go by MFP and Fitbit. To lose a pound a week, MFP sets me at 1210 cals/day, but that's way too low for me. I wear a Fitbit and it adds back exercise calories, depending on if I've run or whatnot. Most days, I'll end up eating somewhere between 1500-1700 calories though, and if I am consistent there I'll average about a pound a week. So if I were maintaining I think I would eat around 2000. I have lost a little over 20 lbs since January, but haven't really gained much if any muscle. I don't know if that because I am in too much of a calorie deficit or if I am just not genetically primed for muscle gain or a combination. I've been toying with the idea of less of a deficit once I hit under 140 lbs (I'm 5'5"), which will hopefully be in another month or so. But I have a pretty small frame, and not a lot of existing muscle mass, so I could really get pretty light before I got very lean, where I could turn around and actually try to put on muscle by eating a surplus. So I don't know, we'll see!

Anyway, I did Strong, Stage 7, Workout B, #1 today
    Suspended pike - WTH, couldn't do these, went back to the jackknives.
    Press - decided to try OHP. Did 6x5@ a variety of weights in between 33-40 lbs, used my fractional plates to gradually increase. Probably did meet the RPE8 suggested cause I could have done a little bit more.
    Reverse lunges - 2x10@60 lbs
    Chin ups - 2x8 with 100 lbs assist
    Squats - 2x10@55 lbs just really trying to dial in form
    Dead stop row - 2x10@30 lbs
    No more intervals in Stage 7, sort of miss them, but do think it is better for recovery.

Happy hump day everyone!