Starting OMAD? Introduce Yourself Here!

Replies

• BiloxiNative
    BiloxiNative Posts: 5 Member
    Hello Everyone! I'm so happy to have found Joe's website and this group!

Introduction - I'm a 64 year old female who struggled with weight before having children, although I was never seriously overweight (I just thought I was). Motherhood came at 28 and for the next 20+ years I was actually thin, but then menopause came along. Long story short, I began to gain weight and although I've had some success taking it off (several times) it's the same old, same old...it would come back, with extra.

Over the last 18 months or so I've experimented with intuitive eating, but although I've learned a lot about myself, I just couldn't lose any weight. I'm heavier than I have ever been and I'm now pre-diabetic, so something has to give.

I'd experimented with IF both with the 16/8 plan as well as the 5:2 (AWFUL!) But one day about 3 weeks ago I had something happen that kept me from eating all day, and by the time I did get to eat I discovered that I really didn't need much to eat at all. So the idea came to me that perhaps this could work for me. I played around with it for a week or two, and then I got serious about it and started in earnest early last week (don't remember exactly which day I started, though). I discovered the OMAD website and you tube channel by googling one meal a day and that's how I arrived here!

I have to admit that I don't use a scale - I've discovered that it's an instrument of torture for me, so the only time I get on one is at the doctor's office. My last visit I weighed 172, and I'm pretty sure I got up into the mid-70's before finally getting a grip. But because I knew I was coming here, I went ahead and weighed this morning, and I weighed 168.6 - just about where I thought I would be. I always have a pretty good idea of what I weigh, even without a scale.

And I won't get on it again for awhile. I have other ways of knowing if I'm losing weight.

My name: Cathy
    My starting weight: 168.6 lbs
    My current weight: 168.6 lbs
    My Height: 5'2"
    My goal weight: 120-130 lbs
    OMAD start date: 05/16/16

As I said, I've been doing OMAD for about a week, but since I didn't know my starting weight and I can't remember exactly when I started I'm going to put today's date as my official start date.

I'm so glad to be here!
  • arguablysamson
    arguablysamson Posts: 1,706 Member
    Welcome, Cathy. Great to have you.

Your story has a lot of common elements to it. One thing does shine out: one seem ready to go for stability over anything else, which is alway the way it should be.

Now start your own thread and keep us abreast of your progress! :-)
  • slockrl1
    slockrl1 Posts: 1 Member
    ..Hi, I'm Rebecca. I weigh 175 lbs, 5'3'. Been struggling with weight as long as I can remember, but especially in the past 10 years. Goal weight 135-145. I eat one meal between 4:00-6:00/ Began June 9, 2016.
    ..Stumbled on Joe's videos by accident...or fate. Hard at first but getting easier. I have tried just about every diet and tired of being denied one food group or another, carbs, meat, fat, etc. Failure at counting points. Constantly obsessed about what I'm supposed to eat and blowing it and binging. Love the thought of being about to eat evening meal with my family especially at a restaurant and not worry all the time. I enjoy exercise and really want to feel a little less weak so I can resume that. I think Splurge days sound scary and too good to be true. I am a woman of 55 and would love to hear from any women around my age. Menopause is a bear, and I think losing weight at this age is 2X as hard.
  • Nevadaden
    Nevadaden Posts: 971 Member
    Welcome, Rebecca. Do not let my profile photo fool you: I'm not a Chihuahua-Jack Russell terrier puppy. In fact, I'm a 57-year old woman, 5'7", now at the lowest weight I've been at in 14 years. And, although I've never been more than 35 pounds overweight at my highest, I've struggled with ups and downs for most of my adult life and have generally been at least 20 pounds overweight. I started intermittent fasting 16-8 last year. 16-8 helped, but still didn't address the fact that being a woman of a certain age and size meant that, to lose weight, dividing calories into two meals still required eating a lot less at dinner than I would like. Moreover, although I'm generally not hungry in the morning, once I start eating, it makes it more difficult for me to control my intake. Fundamentally, I chafe at deprivation! So, I then tried Fast Five, which narrowed my food window further, and that, too, helped, but still wasn't quite the ticket.

Eventually I came across some articles on the Warrior Diet, Stanley McChrystal, and others who only eat one meal a day. That, in turn, brought me to Joe's group here, where I "met" others who have found success with the one meal a day plan. I settled into OMAD Monday through Friday, with a longer eating window of four or five hours on Saturday and Sunday, so that I could enjoy appetizers and a cocktail hour on the weekend. (I do try to ride my bike on weekends to compensate, but I don't beat myself up if I under-exercise or over-eat a bit.) I've been maintaining a 25-pound weight loss since March or so....maintenance is still a tenuous thing for me, but I'm learning to trust that a pound or two gain is easily taken off by a return to a week of one meal a day. In other words, it can be done, even after 50!

In recent years, the word "diet" is often criticized, with everyone wanting to refer to "ways of eating" and "lifestyles," but I'm of a generation in which diet was the word of choice for those trying to lose weight. And I'm here to tell you that OMAD is the easiest diet I have ever done in my life. I actually enjoyed it -- such that I may have to retire the word diet and call it a lifestyle or way of eating. I hope you enjoy it as well. Good luck!
  • rainbowvenus
    rainbowvenus Posts: 28 Member
    This is a thread to let others know you are beginning again on OMAD. Get involved by posting...

...your name or preferred username
    ...your weight
    ...your height
    ...any past struggles you've faced or are facing
    ...your goal weight range
    ...the time of your OMAD
    ...and your OMAD start date.

You might elaborate on what brought you around to OMAD as opposed to other weight-loss methods. This thread lets others know they are not alone in the struggle.

Alice...your name or preferred username
    207 ...your weight
    5'7 ...your height
    Candy/Sugar addiction ...any past struggles you've faced or are facing
    150-160 ...your goal weight range
    6 pm ...the time of your OMAD
    6/21/2016 ...and your OMAD start date.

I would like to pick OMAD back up because last year I had a lot of success with eating once a day. I hadn't done any official research, only fell into the lifestyle. It was easier to maintain than I had anticipated. I need to get back into it!
  • vrojapu
    vrojapu Posts: 268 Member
    Welcome, Alice!!
  • arguablysamson
    Welcome indeed, Alice!!
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    Go Alice!
  • thebobogrind
    thebobogrind Posts: 143 Member
    ...your name or preferred username: Bobo
    ...your weight: 240
    ...your height: 5'7
    ...any past struggles you've faced or are facing: emotional eating, impulsive eating, binging, and constantly feeling deprived on other diets
    ...your goal weight range: 180-190
    ...the time of your OMAD: 6-10pm (depending on work schedule)
    ...and your OMAD start date. : June 25th Saturday.:smile:

I need to lose 30-40 lbs by October in order to pass a physical aptitude test to have my dream job. Hoping to get support and read about all the success stories of other Omaders...:smile:

Bobo
  • vrojapu
    Welcome, Bobo!
  • arguablysamson
    Hi, Bobo. Welcome!
  • drbOMAD
    drbOMAD Posts: 1 Member
    My name is Dawn. I'm 45 years old, 5'10" and started out OMAD at 224 lbs. I've only been doing this for about a week and currently at 219.7 lbs. I was thin until after my second child (20 years ago) and have been slowing putting on the pounds. Like many others, I have tried a lot of things that do not work. I really resonate with the lady with the thyroid that was told she would have to work out twice as hard. That's my story as well. Working out twice as hard doesn't work either, at least not for me. Loving it that eating OMAD is working. My goal is to be 145 - 155 lb range. We have a vacation trip planned next summer that I would like to wear normal clothes to. I'm healthy but definitely know my weight needs to be under control so I do not develop other health issues. I have not told very many people I'm doing this either because I just don't want to listen to them go on and on how unhealthy it is. So far, so good.
  • vrojapu
    Welcome, Dawn!!
  • blambo61
    Good job!
  • arguablysamson
    drbOMAD wrote: »
    My name is Dawn. I'm 45 years old, 5'10" and started out OMAD at 224 lbs. I've only been doing this for about a week and currently at 219.7 lbs. I was thin until after my second child (20 years ago) and have been slowing putting on the pounds. Like many others, I have tried a lot of things that do not work. I really resonate with the lady with the thyroid that was told she would have to work out twice as hard. That's my story as well. Working out twice as hard doesn't work either, at least not for me. Loving it that eating OMAD is working. My goal is to be 145 - 155 lb range. We have a vacation trip planned next summer that I would like to wear normal clothes to. I'm healthy but definitely know my weight needs to be under control so I do not develop other health issues. I have not told very many people I'm doing this either because I just don't want to listen to them go on and on how unhealthy it is. So far, so good.

Hi, Dawn.

You sound very level and ready for the long haul. You will do fine. Just don't get misaligned or discouraged. Let us know should you need any help.

-Joe
  • ElizabethAN2017
    ElizabethAN2017 Posts: 570 Member
    Hi everyone, my name is Elizabeth Maryam. I was going to start this several months ago, and then my mum passed away unexpectedly and everything went by the wayside. I also just found out after 2 yrs and 4.5 months, my husband likely is going to part ways with me. His immigration was denied earlier this month and he doesn't want me to live with him in his country ... So, I am at the point that I am ready to look after me ... and I know from testing out OMAD, it seems to work for me, along with low carb. So, here's my info:

Weight: 152.2 lbs
    Height: 5'1.5"
    Struggles: hypothyroid (no thyroid), emotional over eating/under eating, severe hypoglycemia, scoliosis (mild), heart problem (ok'd for exercise), edema, and a little bit of discouragement right now ...
    OMAD Start: yesterday
    OMAD Time: later in the day but I haven't set a particular time yet
    Goal Weight: somewhere between 105-130 lbs. My initial goal is to lose apx 2 lbs a week over the next 12 weeks (some may have a bigger loss than others). I'm going to reassess my goals at that time.

My initial battle will be figuring out a low carb menu for OMAD. The low carb helps to keep my hypoglycemia in check, and I found when I tried OMAD, that if my meals were low carb, I didn't run into the blood sugar drops, where I was in crisis. Thanks again for having this group :)
  • vrojapu
    Welcome, Elizabeth Maryam!!
  • Nevadaden
    Nevadaden Posts: 971 Member
    Elizabeth, welcome. I'm not low carb but I'm happy to help (commiserate?) with any other issues or questions you may have.
  • blambo61
    edited June 2016
    Fasting will be low carb! I eat salads with meat in them and olive oil (new discovery for me) and I love them! They are low carb but have protein and fat (cheese, meat and oil). Good luck.
  • ElizabethAN2017
    ElizabethAN2017 Posts: 570 Member
    vrojapu wrote: »
    Welcome, Elizabeth Maryam!!

Thank you :)

Nevadaden wrote: »
    Elizabeth, welcome. I'm not low carb but I'm happy to help (commiserate?) with any other issues or questions you may have.

Thanks, any help would be great :)
    blambo61 wrote: »
    Fasting will be low carb! I eat salads with meat in them and olive oil (new discovery for me) and I love them! They are low carb but have protein and fat (cheese, meat and oil). Good luck.

Thanks :). Great idea with the salad. Do you mix it with anything? I've tried mixing oil and juice together as a dressing and have also used yogurt in the past.