Skinny people shouldn't give fat people weight loss advice.

Options

Replies

• walker1world
    walker1world Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    bjwoodzy wrote: »
    Not to hop on the skinny-bashing train, but this... I agree with, @walker1world .

Again, people need to be kinder and more understanding and remember that dietary needs are not a flat-rate, one-size-fits-all, black and white thing. We are all different and require different ways to live and thrive.

I'm glad I found what I think (and hope) is the real way for me to live and eat. I enjoy mostly whole foods, cooked almost all at home, get most of my carbs from veg and dairy, and cheating for me means I have some pepperoni or some sugar-free Jell-O or goofy cheese (I call any pasteurized process cheese product like spreadables or Velveeta or Laughing ow wedges "goofy" cheese---and I KNOW...they are full of crapola like bad fats and dextroses and modified food starches--so far that and fatty salty meats are my only bad habits)...another thread altogether, I suppose.

TL;DR - Point being, I can't tell YOU what to eat, how to live. We all can only know what works for ourselves.

Welcome to the train. LOL. I don't mean it in a mean way, just as a caution to people that are obese who try to do what skinny people do and wonder why it dosent work.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Not to hop on the skinny-bashing train, but this... I agree with, @walker1world .

Again, people need to be kinder and more understanding and remember that dietary needs are not a flat-rate, one-size-fits-all, black and white thing. We are all different and require different ways to live and thrive.

I'm glad I found what I think (and hope) is the real way for me to live and eat. I enjoy mostly whole foods, cooked almost all at home, get most of my carbs from veg and dairy, and cheating for me means I have some pepperoni or some sugar-free Jell-O or goofy cheese (I call any pasteurized process cheese product like spreadables or Velveeta or Laughing ow wedges "goofy" cheese---and I KNOW...they are full of crapola like bad fats and dextroses and modified food starches--so far that and fatty salty meats are my only bad habits)...another thread altogether, I suppose.

TL;DR - Point being, I can't tell YOU what to eat, how to live. We all can only know what works for ourselves.

Welcome to the train. LOL. I don't mean it in a mean way, just as a caution to people that are obese who try to do what skinny people do and wonder why it dosent work.

But fortunately, if my own experience is any indicator, once said obese person leans out, they will start to understand where the skinnier person was coming from. Seriously, everything from cutting weight, to gaining weight, to recutting has gotten faster and easier since I got below 170, from my original 265.
  • cedarsidefarm
    cedarsidefarm Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I recently heard that a small percentage, about 10 or 20, of people who attempt CICO diets lose weight and keep it off for over a year. Now I don't know the percentage for LCHF but that right there tells you the theory only works on a small percent. The rest of us have to find something that really works.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options
    I recently heard that a small percentage, about 10 or 20, of people who attempt CICO diets lose weight and keep it off for over a year. Now I don't know the percentage for LCHF but that right there tells you the theory only works on a small percent. The rest of us have to find something that really works.

Really? Only a year? Maybe it's because my loss was a bit "drastic" by most standards, but I'm pretty sure that I would have to go back to eating 3500+ on a daily basis to get back up to my origibal starting point within a year. 2000 was painful today.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options

CI/CO - to the extent you can even come close to accurately estimating either - doesn't seem to account for set points, stalls, plateaus, etc. It can't all be hydration-related, can it?
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    ....this is all covered in both Fat Head and The Dorito Effect, as probably most know.

I just got around to listening to the first couple (free) chapters of The Dorito Effect - that is GD mouthful of shirt to swallow! Yecccchhhh.

• walker1world
    Options
    @RalfLott
    Cutting out wheat and legumes specifically help my GI problems but wheat specifically also cause the skin issues x

It is great when you find a way to eat that solves issues with out medication.
  • walker1world
    Options

I have searched for a credible posting for these numbers and I can't find it, do you have a source?
  • LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Well those earlier years, i'm pretty sure there wasn't so much genetic engineering of food, hormones and fattening agents given to crops/animals.........also now packaged and processed foods are designed to always create a "mouth party"....those are huge changes in what ppl eat.

This is just a few, there are many others. Also if an overweight person should happen to ask someone who has never been overweight about how they accomplished this, i think the thinner person should be honored and should try to respond with sincerity.
  • walker1world
    Options
    LINIA wrote: »
    Well those earlier years, i'm pretty sure there wasn't so much genetic engineering of food, hormones and fattening agents given to crops/animals.........also now packaged and processed foods are designed to always create a "mouth party"....those are huge changes in what ppl eat.

This is just a few, there are many others. Also if an overweight person should happen to ask someone who has never been overweight about how they accomplished this, i think the thinner person should be honored and should try to respond with sincerity.

Process food is the worst, should it be called Food?
  • walker1world
    Options

But fortunately, if my own experience is any indicator, once said obese person leans out, they will start to understand where the skinnier person was coming from. Seriously, everything from cutting weight, to gaining weight, to recutting has gotten faster and easier since I got below 170, from my original 265.

Great work, I hope I pick up steam on my weight loss journey. I have been told just the opposite the last 20 or 30 will be the hardest. I hope not.
  • LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    @Gallowmere1984

How many pounds to go to your goal weight or weight range? btw Fantastic Loss! :)
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options
    @Gallowmere1984

How many pounds to go to your goal weight or weight range? btw Fantastic Loss! :)

I don't really have a goal weight, so much as a goal bodyfat percentage. I'm currently at 17%, dropping weight purely by diet control, with no exercise outside of work involved. Once I get moved this summer, get my plates, bench and power rack bought and set up, I'll be headed the other direction on the scale.

Most likely going to stick with keto and about a 2100 kcal/day target, and just lift heavy as hell every day, like I used to. That should give my solid recomp results within about a year. Ideally, I'd like to see about 165-175 and 9-10% within that year, but we'll have to see how my body decides to handle it.
  • walker1world
    Options
    @Gallowmere1984

I don't really have a goal weight, so much as a goal bodyfat percentage. I'm currently at 17%, dropping weight purely by diet control, with no exercise outside of work involved. Once I get moved this summer, get my plates, bench and power rack bought and set up, I'll be headed the other direction on the scale.

Most likely going to stick with keto and about a 2100 kcal/day target, and just lift heavy as hell every day, like I used to. That should give my solid recomp results within about a year. Ideally, I'd like to see about 165-175 and 9-10% within that year, but we'll have to see how my body decides to handle it.

This sounds like a great plan .
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options

I have searched for a credible posting for these numbers and I can't find it, do you have a source?

This might be of use -- http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/74/5/579.full

The catch with that one is that it's only looking at "structured plans," so stuff like Weight Watchers, and appears to compare only very low calorie diets with moderately low calorie diets. However, we can assume that structured plans are more successful than unstructured ones. Average weight loss after 5 years is a whopping 3% of body weight for those that stick with it, with an attrition rate of as much as 100% (the weight loss averages are based on those that could be followed up with).

I've seen a paper that also says that 20% of people maintain a 10% loss after a year, but the data comes from the National Weight Control Registry, inclusion to which requires that you have lost at least 30lbs and kept it off for at least a year, and apparently doesn't drop people off if they regained after joining the registry, making it questionable at best (since problems usually start at the 2 year mark; this page details the issues with the NWCR, many of which I share -- https://danceswithfat.wordpress.com/2012/12/27/national-weight-control-registry-skydiving-without-a-chute/).

For perspective regarding the NWCR, I've been able to keep about 30 pounds (actually, right about 10% of my highest weight) off for better than 5 years now (woot!), so according to NWCR, I'm a "success." But guess what? I still need to lose another 80lbs or so to get into the top level of "normal" on the BMI, and LCHF has been my saving grace of keeping off what I have, despite having struggled horribly (and failing) to maintain any subsequent losses (my current record post-initial-gain low is about 40lbs lower than what I am currently). How successful am I, really?
  • Leanbean65
    Leanbean65 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    We simply cannot have everything we want, every time we want it, with no limit. But, sometimes people are completely unwilling to make changes where they would have to tell themselves no... Ever.
  • Leanbean65
    Leanbean65 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    This is true!