Things I hate on LCHF

Options

Replies

• Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    A few things I miss on LCHF:

1) Oatmeal - yes there's a low carb version which is essentially pecans, chia seeds and other various seeds, but I haven't tried that yet. I miss regular oatmeal with..
    2) Fruit - I miss fruit a LOT.
    3) Pancakes. No real reason other than I don't really like the cream cheese ones all that much, I miss the fluffy texture of big thick fluffy pancakes. I may need to explore almond flour pancakes or something.

Funny enough I don't miss chips or cake much. And I actually hate my old favorite candy, Reese cups. I find them way too sweet now and I find myself complaining to myself that there's not enough peanut butter, lol.
  • Sarahb29
    Options
    MyriiStorm wrote: »
    I miss pizza. REAL pizza with a fluffy, white flour crust. Yes, I know, theoretically I can eat just the toppings. But I guarantee if you put a Pizza Hut Pan Pizza in front of me, I could not eat JUST the toppings.

I've seen a couple of keto pizza recipes with eggs or even meat as the "crust." Has anyone tried them?

@MyriiStorm I missed fluffy thick crust too, the thicker the better (which is how I got here to begin with). You need to try fathead pizza. It's MUCH better than any of the cauliflower pizzas I've made and is the closest I've gotten to feeling like I have real crust. I made a meatlovers pizza and it was awesome! Pic & recipe:

I've had two pieces of pizza hut pan pizza since I've started this WOE and the next day I felt really sick so I don't have much desire to eat it anymore.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Sarahb29 wrote: »
    A few things I miss on LCHF:

1) Oatmeal - yes there's a low carb version which is essentially pecans, chia seeds and other various seeds, but I haven't tried that yet. I miss regular oatmeal with..
    2) Fruit - I miss fruit a LOT.
    3) Pancakes. No real reason other than I don't really like the cream cheese ones all that much, I miss the fluffy texture of big thick fluffy pancakes. I may need to explore almond flour pancakes or something.

Funny enough I don't miss chips or cake much. And I actually hate my old favorite candy, Reese cups. I find them way too sweet now and I find myself complaining to myself that there's not enough peanut butter, lol.

@Sarahb29 N'Oatmeal - www.healthfulpursuit.com has a N'oatmeal bar that sounds good using hemp seeds (she's a big fan of those. A quick google showed several recipes without nuts, too, like this one: http://balancedbites.com/content/paleo-noatmeal-apple-cinnamon-banana-coconut/

But that being said, things like low GI squash can be used with fruit flavored extracts to get that fruit sensation you're missing. Berries are a good even Keto friendly fruit in the right quantities, so all fruits don't have to be missed.

The favorite "fluffy" recipe I've found is this one. http://www.tryketowith.me/recipes/recipe/fluffy-keto-pancakewaffle-recipe/ I'm not a huge fan of cream cheese pancakes, but I've made some coconut flour ones that were pretty good, and even my not-a-fan-of-low-carb guy loved them...

@DittoDan has a great recipe for fat bomb PB cups!
  • Sarahb29
    Options
    @KnitOrMiss - Thank you!
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    What do I miss? Not much. I don't eat wheat or barley either (gluten free WOE in addition to LCHF), but I miss flour tortillas now and then.

Once I realized that the part of cinnamon rolls with cream cheese icing that I really missed was the cinnamon and the cream cheese, I found that if I've got a world class craving going (very rare), I can mix a good bit of cinnamon into an ounce of cream cheese, eat it with a spoon, and that nails it completely. I discovered it's really not about the roll itself at all!

@MaryDeLoria - Just yesterday, I saw that someone is now carrying almond flour and coconut flour tortillas. I don't know who or where, but that animal is out there somewhere. Also, psyllium husks tend to be used for tortillas and stuff A LOT...
  • MaryDeLoria
    MaryDeLoria Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    @MaryDeLoria - Just yesterday, I saw that someone is now carrying almond flour and coconut flour tortillas. I don't know who or where, but that animal is out there somewhere. Also, psyllium husks tend to be used for tortillas and stuff A LOT...[/quote]

Cool. Maybe I can find a recipe - I've got both flours on my shelf & a little time to play in the kitchen. Thanks!
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    If you do the whole almond flour baking thing, check out http://satisfyingeats.com/recipes/?all=1 for ALL THE ALMOND FLOUR RECIPES! ;)

As for pizza, my favorite thing to do now is toss some shredded cheese in a bowl, toss in a small dollop of home made pizza sauce, and half a dozen or so pepperonis (or more if you want, 6-8 works well for me), and toss it in the microwave for about 30 seconds or long enough to melt the cheese. Mix it all together before and/or after melting, and enjoy. Pizza in a bowl! :D
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    If you nuke it on a plate, @Dragonwolf , you can actually get crispy cheese edges, just like real pizza. LOL
  • KETOGENICGURL
    KETOGENICGURL Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Yogurt lovers who also like granola in it here is my solution- I only buy Bulgarian full fat yogurt..and I LOVE crunchy in my yogurt. I joked about sweetening pork rinds, and the ONLY ones are spicy/hot, the opposite of what I needed.

Well RuledMe guy just came out with a salted caramel pork rind cereal. at the same time I finally made my batches of vanilla sweetened pork rind...here is my recipe -- you CAN add seeds to make it more like granola.
    http://www.ruled.me/salted-caramel-pork-rind-cereal/

1. Use a buttered flat pan or dish, crush the light fluffy pork rinds a bit- the plain ones.
    2. Sprinkle or spray vanilla flavor, sprinkle cinnamon, then erithritol ground/powdered.. or your sweetener of choice, or none.
    3. (or try some other liquid flavorings like "sugar cookie, apple pie, raspberry" etc. there are a ton of these sold online)

4. Heat the toaster oven to 400...toast the rinds for 4 minutes...don't burn, but make sure they are well toasted, as it removes the rind taste.

Just add to your yogurt, and eat soon after as they will soak up moisture. I make mine fresh each morning, and it leaves a nice smell in the house.

I PROMISE it is the PERFECT NO CARB replacement for anything with carbs like brown rice crisps (12 carbs per 1/2 cup) or any granola with unwanted sugar..the LOW sugar/carb brand is still 12 carbs per 1/4 cup, and some high seed ones are a bit lower.

You can also add: hemp seed, flax, ground almonds, pumpkin seeds or any other seeds like chia to the toasting too.
  • RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Things I hate about LCHF:

No ice cream.
    Very limited alcohol, particularly beer, hard cider and vodka with cranberry juice (only have a very occasional glass of wine)
    Limited fruit.
    No French fries.

Buy an ice cream maker and make your own with stevia. Best $20 bucks I've spent on this diet!

I have an ice cream maker that I've never used. Too lazy to do it, I reckon...as much as I love to bake and cook, you'd think I'd make carb friendly ice cream by now.
  • RowdysLady
    Options
    RowdysLady wrote: »
    The list is short:

BPC with coffee grounds in it. I bet every third pot the filter folds over and I drink grounds. I try so hard every morning to get the filter perfect in there alas...I drink grounds 33% of the time. Whyforhowcome, I ask, whyforhowcome? I never drank coffee before this WOE. I may have to switch to tea...or hint around for a Keurig :smile:

I haven't read the whole thread yet, so someone else probably already mentioned this, but I'd think about switching to a reusable coffee filter. Amazon has them for about $6. They replace the paper filters. Nice things: no waste, no paper filter taste (chemical ick), easy to clean. I've had the same one for years & they hold up well.

I will buy one today!
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    @Sarahb29 Another 'baked' oatmeal I ran across... I believe the baked oatmeal recipe you're asking about is made with coconut flakes, honey, cinnamon, eggs, and coconut milk or almond milk, may even call for cream. It's delicious.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I have found substitutes for most of the things I loved.
  • RowdysLady
    Options
    deksgrl wrote: »

There do seem to be many and that makes me even happier about this WOE.
  • dasher602014
    dasher602014 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! Yes, there are many substitutes to keep me happy.

Starbuck's haters unite!

Oatmeal recipe, hurray! Ruled.me is one of my favourite websites. fathead pizza works for us.

I do miss the crunch of fruits like apples or pears. I do slip them in when I can and stay true to the macros I am trying for but that is very rare/
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    deksgrl wrote: »

Like this keto-bonbon, perchance? (Using 90%-fat brie or cream cheese, of course.)

0988f0135528202a565de8e0ebb2cfb5.jpg
  • KetoGirl83
    KetoGirl83 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    canadjineh wrote: »
    (...)
    I will have proper handmade gelato a couple times in the summer and just suck it up about carbs, but for me any other ice cream is gross due to yucky texture & lack of flavour.

This is me too. I prefer to have an occasional special treat and eat the real thing. I can eat a small portion now and be happy with it. Real artisanal ice cream is well, "cream" based so very high in fat and not so much in sugar. I usually go for dark chocolate, not fruit. Or I make my own and freeze it as small fat bombs.

The industrial ice cream is the one that is full of junk and that I avoid like the plague (and all other carbage).

::flowerforyou::
  • LolaDeeDaisy23
    LolaDeeDaisy23 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I don't crave bread anymore but I really, really miss bagels. I miss Wetzels Pretzels. I miss Cinnabon. I miss fro-yo.
    Just the act of going to yogurt land and the fun of choosing the flavors, toppings and hanging out with loved ones. I miss that.
    I miss bananas. I miss Cocoa Puffs cereal.
  • Leanbean65
    Leanbean65 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    JTyler2016 wrote: »
    Things I hate about LCHF...

4. People seeing me eat pancakes for breakfast at work (I do shift work so I call my lunch break my breakfast) and saying, "That's not low carb!" Well, really the jokes on them cause I think pancakes made with eggs and cream cheese and topped with a good SF syrup are better than actual pancakes and they are definitely low carb.