time to re june vate - daily checkins for june!

Replies

• ninenines
    ninenines Posts: 197 Member
    Deadlift Day, Week 3
    Main: Deadlift
    Warm up sets, then 5@62kg, 3@70kg, 5@78kg - these felt heavy today, so glad to get 5 in the AMRAP set.

Assistance 1: Front Squat
    5x10 at 15kg

Assistance 2: Bulgarian Split Squat
    5x7 each leg at 15kg
    Superset with DB Lateral Raise
    5x8 at 4.5kg
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    bike ride again. there was lifting in there but it was <24hr after yesterday and pretty forgettable.

i'll try again tomorrow. maybe. this just isn't looking like a 70lb overhead press week to me.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Last kickboxing session before it starts again in the Fall. Need to find something to fill the void - I should look into yoga or maybe take some more hikes.

Had a really frustrating day at work so when my instructor shouted 'more power!' You bet your *kitten* I was imagining someone's face lol

Stronglifts workout B tomorrow!
  • kimiuzzell
    kimiuzzell Posts: 611 Member
    2 sessions of hiit and leg day yesterday for me.
    SQUATS 10x10 @52.5 kgs,
    Lunges 10x10 @ 16kg kettlevels

All with 1 min recovery between sets, hence the lower weight than SL sessions.

Rest day today although already walked 2 miles before work and will aim for another 3 at lunchtime.
  • spritey86
    spritey86 Posts: 70 Member
    Trying to get back into routine but injuries and illness kept me away from the bar. Pain in the ..... Anyway. Felling better and expected to struggle but nailed the normal progress.

Squats - 5x5 @ 55kg
    OHP - 5x5 @ 25kg
    Deadlift - 1x5 @ 60kg and 1x5 @ 70kg

Im going to add reps to OHP since 27.5kg is tooooo heavy. Deadlift grip is struggling - used under and over for the first time. It really helped!
  • kimiuzzell
    I agree with the OHP struggles spritey - increasing reps is one way, or if you have a shoulder press machine at your gym, you could do negatives to help too.

For anything over 70kgs DL I always use the over/under grip. I've got some straps to use if I need them but am, so far, reluctant to try for fear of messing up completely. I shall stick with working without them for as long as possible.

Glad you're getting back into a routine again!

I managed another 2.5 miles at lunchtime - not as far as I had hoped but there was a big black cloud threatening, and I had no waterproof or umbrella.....and my 2pm client probably wouldn't appreciate the drowned rat look from me, so I didn't take so much of a risk!
  • sammyliftsandeats
    Stronglifts B workout this AM.

Squats: Warm up of 1x5 @ 45, 55, 95lbs - working set @ 125lbs...I hit the 5x5 but I entered it in as a fail on the last one because it felt quite heavy and I wanted to do it one more time to really get the hang of this weight. I lift again on Friday so I hope I can hit it then. But I'm getting close to a plate on squats and I'm very excited!

OHP: I didn't want to take up the rack so I did 40 lbs with a fixed barbell. The only downside is that you have to clean it to get it to starting position, which means extra work. 6 sets of 5 for this guy.

Deadlift: 1x5 @ 115lbs. I didn't get it last time so I'm super happy I got it this time.

All in all, a good session. I don't know whether the massive amount of sweat was from my walk to the gym while it was hot out, or the heavy weights but I felt good this morning. One of the regular guys complimented me on my squat weight, which was nice.

Rest day tomorrow - take care everyone!
  • canadianlbs
    ^^^ my ohp also exploded (briefly) when i started doing a negative-pullup progression as accessory lift. nothing to stop you doing real pullups or chins if you've got it in you, of course :)

my trainer put me on a regime that looks like this: start with 3 single pullups with rests in between. add 1 more rep each time you do them. once you're up to 6, split the six into three sets of 2 instead of adding another one.

i um, forget what you're supposed to do after that :# . i THINK it's add 1 rep to each set until you're doing two sets of 4. on the next session, break it up into three sets of 3. something like that.

do watch out for your form though. my left side turned not to be strong/controlled enough to deal well with that jump straight up into the top position to start a rep, so i irritated everything around that shoulderblade and i'm just using the cable pulldown and doing 'scapular retraction' right now.

anyway, point is you might as well call a pullup the 'overhead pull'. if you start/end it from a dead hang they're almost a mirror image of the press form. so when i did those for a month or so, my ohp took off like a train.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    ^^^ my ohp also exploded (briefly) when i started doing a negative-pullup progression as accessory lift. nothing to stop you doing real pullups or chins if you've got it in you, of course :)

my trainer put me on a regime that looks like this: start with 3 single pullups with rests in between. add 1 more rep each time you do them. once you're up to 6, split the six into three sets of 2 instead of adding another one.

i um, forget what you're supposed to do after that :# . i THINK it's add 1 rep to each set until you're doing two sets of 4. on the next session, break it up into three sets of 3. something like that.

do watch out for your form though. my left side turned not to be strong/controlled enough to deal well with that jump straight up into the top position to start a rep, so i irritated everything around that shoulderblade and i'm just using the cable pulldown and doing 'scapular retraction' right now.

anyway, point is you might as well call a pullup the 'overhead pull'. if you start/end it from a dead hang they're almost a mirror image of the press form. so when i did those for a month or so, my ohp took off like a train.

I have never tried to do a pullup before, unassisted. So I will have to do that first.

Doing pullups is one of my goals as well - but my upper body strength lacks so much.

Do you think I should start working on negatives first?
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,101 Member
    Stronglifts Workout

Squats-1X5X55/65/75/85, 5X5X 90
    OHP-1X5X 45/50/55/60, 5X5X 50
    DL-1X5X135

Kettlebell Swing

Russian kettle bell swing-19 X 10 X 30
  • Ariadnula
    Ariadnula Posts: 435 Member

Oh, I like this! My pull ups have suffered after a month away cycling, and I'm frustrated. This sounds just the ticket. Thanks!
  • canadianlbs
    Do you think I should start working on negatives first?

i don't think it's necessary, if you find you can do them regular style right away. i sure as heck couldn't ;-) still can't.

otoh, even if you have the strength, the starter doms might be a shock. so i'm changing my mind. all i'm gonna say is: if it were me and i were coming back from a long break, i would probably start with negatives anyway even if i did feel sure i had the mojo to do them in regular form, just to see what the fallout was like before i dived into bottom-up style. they have an unbelievable effect on your lats and serratus muscles . . . and the biggest surprise bonus for me: on your abs. they totally murder your abs even if a plank ninja is you.

• sammyliftsandeats
    Next day I'm in the gym, I am going to try a pull up. If I can't do one unassisted, I will have to work on other exercises that would help me.

I heard lat pull downs are a good start - because in theory, if you can pull your weight doing a lat pull down, then you should be able to do a pull up. I am ways away from doing that, but it is something I can work on.

I curse my upper body strength - it is much further behind than my lower body. But it is definitely a goal I have to do a pull up, and maybe do an obstacle course next summer!
  • badnoodle
    badnoodle Posts: 215 Member
    SL B today.
    SQ:1x45, 5x5x85
    OHP: 5/5/3/5/5x55
    DL: 2x5x115

Squat and deadlift went up by 10 rather than 5 because I sometimes fail at basic mathematics. Still came up pretty easy, so no harm, no foul. OHP is just a hot mess. Hot. Mess.
    Did an extra set of dl because I could, and they made me feel better about those presses.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    badnoodle wrote: »
    SL B today.
    SQ:1x45, 5x5x85
    OHP: 5/5/3/5/5x55
    DL: 2x5x115

Squat and deadlift went up by 10 rather than 5 because I sometimes fail at basic mathematics. Still came up pretty easy, so no harm, no foul. OHP is just a hot mess. Hot. Mess.
    Did an extra set of dl because I could, and they made me feel better about those presses.

OHP is hard. I am finding a common theme amongst women and it is that OHP is more difficult to advance. But you are up to 55lbs! That's great! I have been doing this for almost two months and I have only gotten up to 50, and then had to go back down.

Nice work on the rest of your lifts!

• canadianlbs
    Next day I'm in the gym, I am going to try a pull up.

i put my muscles where my mouth is on this. last-second decision to go to the gym and still chasing the so-called 70lb ohp that i'm so-called supposed to do three reps of this week. hah. couldn't do it yesterday. couldn't do it today. i did do three at 65 yesterday in the rack and one without the rack today, but 70 was just plain too heavy.

instead of my final set, i dropped the seat of the assisted p/u machine and did four or five strict-control negatives. really happy with them actually. i was able to watch myself in the mirror which was useful for once, and i was reeeeeaaally careful to pull my chest through and hollllld for a couple of secs at the top before i began to come down. idk what that translates to in ohp reps, but the heavy press wasn't going to happen today anyway. doing this instead felt like a nice 'while messed up' alternative. also, i abandoned my pedantry about using the pronated grips and used semi-supinated or facing instead. that might have had a lot to do with it too.
    I heard lat pull downs are a good start

i really like lat pulls but lately i've been only been using that machine to get better scapular/trap control. i like it a lot for that, because i can pick the weight level and that stops my stronger (wronger) muscles from taking over the way they do when heavier weight (i.e. me) is involved.
  • ninenines
    ninenines Posts: 197 Member
    I've added chin-ups (band assisted) as one of my accessories for Wendler. Hoping they will help with the OHP. It was actually OHP day for me today, wasn't particularly inspiring and only hit 4 reps for 25kg which was a bit disappointing.

OHP Day, Week 3
    Main: OHP
    Warm up sets, then 5@20kg, 3@22kg, 4@25kg.

Assistance 1: Bench Press
    5x10 at 20kg

Assistance 2: Barbell Roaw
    5x10 at 30kg - starting to feel a lot easier than the first week
    Superset with Planl
    5x30sec
  • canadianlbs
    oh yeah . . . i did 3 sprints of around 30 secs each at high intensity on my way home as well. feel better now. i'm on a mission to get as much conditioning as possible kick-started before the big bike commute sets in for real next week, so that was one of the boxes on my check list.
  • kimiuzzell
    Can I please join the "really really really want to progress on OHP" club!! I can do 5x5@25kg most of the time without problems, and can do 30kgs for a few reps, but then the dreaded knee push has to come in. Grrr.....

Went to the gym this morning - While I consider Wendler etc, I am splitting my workouts and roughly doing the Joe Wicks "Bodycoach" programme, as I am loving his food right now and it is all working. So, today was arms day.....

2 x 6 minute HIIT sessions (squat jumps, mountain climbers, kettlebell swings, Russian twists, that sort of thing)

10x10 barbell curls with 15kg bar. 1 min rest between sets.
    10x10 skullcrushers - started with 10kg bar, then moved up to 12kg kettlebell. 1 min rest between sets.

Another month is over - can't believe how quickly June has flown by! Time to start thinking of goals for July!