Things I hate on LCHF

Options

Replies

• KetoGirl83
    KetoGirl83 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    RalfLott wrote: »

Good God. Does anyone in this forum have a diabetic sister who's NOT in total denial?

What kills me the most, honestly, is that they all go on about my willpower and strength.

I keep trying to tell them I HAVE NONE. Everything in your life changes when you break the hold carbs hold over your sanity. I was an addict of a ridiculous nature. No one saw it - or not enough to say anything, and I still relapse. But it's not about strength. It's about making a decision, jumping off the deep end, and having faith to TRY something...

(...)

So, so true. As soon as we emerge from the carb haze, willpower becomes a matter of choice.

Now, when I eat carbage I know what I'm doing and I (mostly) can stop it - if I want to! I'm no longer making excuses for myself, I'm no longer hostage to my BG numbers.

To me, LCHF is like the key to freedom, I still have to walk the road but I'm no longer locked in the basement.

::flowerforyou::
  • MyriiStorm
    MyriiStorm Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    Some caveats: There are a zillion different k-cup varieties out there but the newer Keurig Vue coffeemaker only uses k-cups made by the Keurig manufacturer. Also, at some point you're going to realize that, no matter how carefully you shop for k-cups, you've already spent in k-cups more than you paid for the coffee maker itself. This is not a budget friendly choice compared to traditional coffee making methods.

You can get little reusable wire-mesh baskets for the Keurig that you can fill with your own coffee. Target and Kohl's sell them, and you can get them online. K-cups are way too expensive.

• dasher602014
    dasher602014 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    Phrick wrote: »
    Sarahb29 wrote: »
    A few things I miss on LCHF:

1) Oatmeal - yes there's a low carb version which is essentially pecans, chia seeds and other various seeds, but I haven't tried that yet. I miss regular oatmeal with..
    2) Fruit - I miss fruit a LOT.
    3) Pancakes. No real reason other than I don't really like the cream cheese ones all that much, I miss the fluffy texture of big thick fluffy pancakes. I may need to explore almond flour pancakes or something.

Funny enough I don't miss chips or cake much. And I actually hate my old favorite candy, Reese cups. I find them way too sweet now and I find myself complaining to myself that there's not enough peanut butter, lol.

I like this "no-oats oatmeal" recipe, personally I LOOOOOVE to make it with eggnog. Holy wow. http://www.girlmeetswhisk.com/?tag=oat-free-oatmeal

Also for pancakes, this recipe met with approval from even my children (12 and 15, so very picky about how pancakes "should" be!!). Yes, it is weird to think of pork rinds having any part of a breakfast pancake recipe, but it really really works. I did find that I had to double the "mile high mix" it calls for, to 6 Tbsp, but they were amazing. The only person who made a remotely negative comment was my husband who is not a fan of coconut flour; he noticed the flavor but my kids were happy happy! http://fluffychixcook.com/mile-high-silver-dollar-pancakes-low-carb-gluten-free-options/

I intend to someday try this recipe for pancakes too, because it looks amazing in the blog pictures LOL!
    http://www.cutthewheat.com/2014/08/kristies-perfectly-puffy-pancakes.html

Here's the waybackmachine links for the first link...which no longer works.

http://web.archive.org/web/20150912212910/http://www.girlmeetswhisk.com/?p=1487

http://web.archive.org/web/20150919112919/http://www.girlmeetswhisk.com/?p=1603

Hummmm...... next time I will read the recipe more carefully and grid the flaxseed! Thanks for posting it.
  • shamoore59
    shamoore59 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    MyriiStorm wrote: »
    I miss pizza. REAL pizza with a fluffy, white flour crust. Yes, I know, theoretically I can eat just the toppings. But I guarantee if you put a Pizza Hut Pan Pizza in front of me, I could not eat JUST the toppings.

I've seen a couple of keto pizza recipes with eggs or even meat as the "crust." Has anyone tried them?

My husband and I use mission brand carb balance tortillas as pizza crusts. They crisp up like thin crust pizza and are only 6 net carbs each.
  • pdxhak
    pdxhak Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I see a lot of people mentioning missing fruit. Curious if everyone is completing removing fruit from their diet? I thought it was OK to eat certain fruits?

I miss pizza night with the kids. I made a fathead pizza last week and my daughter really liked it so there is a chance it gets added for one of the weekly meals :)
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    pdxhak wrote: »
    I see a lot of people mentioning missing fruit. Curious if everyone is completing removing fruit from their diet? I thought it was OK to eat certain fruits?

I miss pizza night with the kids. I made a fathead pizza last week and my daughter really liked it so there is a chance it gets added for one of the weekly meals :)

I never ate much fruit, so cutting it to zero was easy for me. Since I run on sub-25 net per day, there isn't a fruit out there that won't put me over (or damn close) in a single serving.
  • MaryDeLoria
    MaryDeLoria Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    It's all we can do, right? Live by example, share without pressure, and be ready when they finally get there?[/quote]

Yes, indeed. Well said.
  • happydance1978
    happydance1978 Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    kmn118 wrote: »
    @nvmomketo "I miss ignorance too... Even if I wanted to eat high carb treats, I can;t because I know what it does to me and the junk that is in it. Yes jelly bellies, I am talking to you."

I was going to cheat with ice cream on Saturday, but the Custard Cabin closed early and we ended up at the grocery store. I read about 15 cartons of delicious sounding flavors and decided that I have worked too hard to do that to myself.

@gypsy8080 I was very pleasantly surprised that when i roasted some brussel sprouts yesterday, the stray outer leaves that turned almost black had the salty crunch of a chip!! OH YEAH! Gonna do that again soon.

Mmmm...I've found my new addiction...kale chips...super easy and tasty. AND you go girl about the ice cream. It too is easy to make a low carb version from home just using a kitchen aid mixer. Keep rocking it girl.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    I miss pizza. REAL pizza with a fluffy, white flour crust. Yes, I know, theoretically I can eat just the toppings. But I guarantee if you put a Pizza Hut Pan Pizza in front of me, I could not eat JUST the toppings.

I've seen a couple of keto pizza recipes with eggs or even meat as the "crust." Has anyone tried them?

@MyrilStorm - the last time I went to PH for the buffet, I made myself try a bite of the bottom crust and the edge crust. It was tasteless. Completely. I find most bread to be the same. But I've had the FatHead crust, which even my non-low-carb-friendly guy liked - and I've made a caulicrust which was AWFUL. Not edible hot, barely tolerable cold.

My favorite thing, though, is to just use Italian blend shredded cheese, dot with tomato sauce/dice, Italian herbs, garlic salt, and hamburger/pepperoni/both, then bake/broil until bubbly. Top with parmesan to taste. It is my ALLTIME FAVORITE...

I've thought about the Meatza, but it's just a variation on the above one I love, with it parceled out. If you cook and cool the cheese enough, it holds up like a crust - and it's awesome cold, too, just like the real thing! LOL

@macchiatto is this what you were thinking of, the "pizza bowl" thing?
  • Tara4boys
    Tara4boys Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    becwana wrote: »
    The only thing I hate, or rather what I miss - is the convenience.
    It's Convenient to just pop a couple slices of bread in a toaster or pour some cereal in a bowl.
    It's convenient to whack something between 2 slices of bread for lunch.
    It's convenient to just grab something from a shop.
    I have to think / plan more and if I want a specific thing I may have to work more to create a healthy version.
    But it's worth it!

I remember I tried Primal/Paleo a while back and this was the biggest thing I missed. I could live without the pasta and toast. It was being able to swing through Little Caesar's and voila my family was fed and happy for $10. It was sticking a Stouffer's lasagna in the oven and it being ready when we got in from the ball game.

This go around with weight loss. I've spent a long time mentally preparing to change. I focussed on all of the inconveniences of being heavy. It is inconvenient to have to buy new clothes every season. It is inconvenient to have low self-esteem. It is sure is heck going to be inconvenient if I allow my IR to turn in to T2D!
  • supergal3
    supergal3 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    @shamoore59: Great idea. I just noticed the Mission brand low carb tortillas in our local store. Never thought of them as thin pizza crust, but your suggestion sounds fabulous. Will give them a try.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    @Tara4boys - There are literally TONS of crockpot recipes that you can do with LCHF - some with barely any prep time - and the same type of thing - done when you get home. You could still do the pizza stuff for the kids, if you're wanting to let them keep grains in their diets...or just do the toppings. I know Pizza Hut won't do a crustless pizza, but many other places will... I personally get more full from the toppings alone than I would if I tried to eat the crust. Google "keto crockpot recipes" or "keto crockpot" and whatever food you'd like to find suggestions. You can easily do a pizza casserole thing or Mississippi Roast is a big fave in my house. Chicken Divan. Pork Roasts (NomNomPaleo has some recipes). Tacos/fajitas...the options are nearly endless... Maybe takes a short bit of prep, but probably less time that it would have taken to hit the store for a frozen pan of something!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    supergal3 wrote: »
    @shamoore59: Great idea. I just noticed the Mission brand low carb tortillas in our local store. Never thought of them as thin pizza crust, but your suggestion sounds fabulous. Will give them a try.

@supergal3 - Joseph's Flax Pitas are great for this, too! Or his Lavash Flatbreads. Just make sure to cut into smaller pieces to get all the edges crispy!
  • Kirstie155
    Kirstie155 Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options

This is an awesome deep dish recipe that I have made several times over the years wile doing low carb https://eatketo.com/chicago-style-stuffed-pizza/ it makes a ton and will fill you up for sure.

• RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    becwana wrote: »
    The only thing I hate, or rather what I miss - is the convenience.
    It's Convenient to just pop a couple slices of bread in a toaster or pour some cereal in a bowl.
    It's convenient to whack something between 2 slices of bread for lunch.
    It's convenient to just grab something from a shop.
    I have to think / plan more and if I want a specific thing I may have to work more to create a healthy version.
    But it's worth it!

Not sure how long you've been doing this WOE but you'll find convenience here too. Pepperoni slices, cheese both come to mind right away but there are others for sure. I also make things convenience food that otherwise isn't - for example I'll make up bacon 2 lbs at a time - and I bake my bacon because you can make lots more at one time on two baking sheets in the oven than you can in a frying pan. I like the taste better that way too...Anyway I make it slightly under cooked, store in fridge then 20 seconds in the microwave and it's perfect.
  • MyriiStorm
    MyriiStorm Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    Kirstie155 wrote: »
    This is an awesome deep dish recipe that I have made several times over the years wile doing low carb https://eatketo.com/chicago-style-stuffed-pizza/ it makes a ton and will fill you up for sure.

Oh my. That's now on my list for this weekend. *drool*
  • bjwoodzy
    bjwoodzy Posts: 593 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I eat blueberries, strawberries, and raspberries/blackberries in moderation. It really helps me enjoy fruit, which - for me, I thought would be hard! I used to be a total fruit-head back in the day. I swear, I'd eat my weight in Clementines and apples back then!

If that's not enough, I enjoy SF gelatin as a snack.

I also make personal pizzas with FlatOut light flatbreads, low carb tomato sauce, fresh or shredded mozz, mushrooms, pepperoni slices, sometimes a few slivers of onion. About 10-12 g carbs for the WHOLE thing. And I'm stuffed. You can get pepperoni, mushrooms, and even tomato sauce in small containers/pre-sliced, so it takes like, not even 15 minutes to throw it together while the oven is pre-heating. But being frugal and someone who enjoys chopping and cooking/mise en place work in the kitchen, I usually cut my own stuff.
  • bjwoodzy
    bjwoodzy Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    My favorite thing, though, is to just use Italian blend shredded cheese, dot with tomato sauce/dice, Italian herbs, garlic salt, and hamburger/pepperoni/both, then bake/broil until bubbly. Top with parmesan to taste. It is my ALLTIME FAVORITE...

Do you have a favorite recipe you use for that (measurements/servings, etc. needed so I can track)? Thanks!

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Fortunately, I've never been a fan of wheat based doughs in general, so dropping pizza was far from difficult. When I did eat it, it was always as thin of a crust as I could get away with. That being said: almond flour pizza doughs work well (and have excellent fat content), and I'm going to give personal pizza on a de-gilled mushroom cap a go, later this week.