What is going on? Is keto not working for me?

Options

Replies

• Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    That's so encouraging, isn't it!!
  • dbhDeb
    dbhDeb Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I am over 50 and have to do around 1200. I'm 5-4 and have about 20 more to lose. It will work. Make sure you aren't snacking or nibbling mindlessly. I tend to fall back into that if I don't pay attention! Good luck!!
  • dbhDeb
    dbhDeb Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I agree too that the wine can cause the block too!
  • dasher602014
    dasher602014 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    I have struggled too. 5ft 2inches and 62 years. It is slower when we are older.

Good advice here. cannot wait to hear your success!

I have to stay at 1200 to 1300 to lose. 1200 to lose consistently. Because I find, calories count. The basics. Weigh and measure everything you eat and then when you feel confident, do a check now and again.

I lost inches but not weight and still do first when it is moving after a plateau.

Hidden carbs are hard. You are making the best choice you can when eating out but they are always there. Crumbs in the meat patties, sugar in the meat or sometimes the veggies. And they seem to always want to add candied nuts not just plain nuts. But we have to eat out on occasions and often have to make the best of a bad deal. I check online if it is a chain so that I can choose the best. Some salads that I thought were OK, took up my whole days calories!

Please post again. Would love to hear how it goes with the changes.
  • saltysailors
    saltysailors Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Phrick wrote: »
    That's so encouraging, isn't it!!
    Yes, it is encouraging!
  • saltysailors
    Options
    I have struggled too. 5ft 2inches and 62 years. It is slower when we are older.

Good advice here. cannot wait to hear your success!

I have to stay at 1200 to 1300 to lose. 1200 to lose consistently. Because I find, calories count. The basics. Weigh and measure everything you eat and then when you feel confident, do a check now and again.

I lost inches but not weight and still do first when it is moving after a plateau.

Hidden carbs are hard. You are making the best choice you can when eating out but they are always there. Crumbs in the meat patties, sugar in the meat or sometimes the veggies. And they seem to always want to add candied nuts not just plain nuts. But we have to eat out on occasions and often have to make the best of a bad deal. I check online if it is a chain so that I can choose the best. Some salads that I thought were OK, took up my whole days calories!

Please post again. Would love to hear how it goes with the changes.
    I will definitely post again! Although, I'm sure I kicked myself out and will have to start over again after this 4day weekend at my son and daughter-in-law's.....they are trying to keep me compliant, but things are sneaking in....ah well, I'll just do the best I can

• saltysailors
    Options
    ZDeb16 wrote: »
    I am over 50 and have to do around 1200. I'm 5-4 and have about 20 more to lose. It will work. Make sure you aren't snacking or nibbling mindlessly. I tend to fall back into that if I don't pay attention! Good luck!!
    I have been doing some snacking and eating more often than I should....I need to pay more attention!
  • jumanajane
    jumanajane Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    why not pop in to the over 50's ladies LCHF group....we are all a mine of experience and different levels of success there......at the very least we all face the draeded post-menopausla slowness of weightloss! You will be very welcome!
  • saltysailors
    edited July 2016
    Options
    jumanajane wrote: »
    why not pop in to the over 50's ladies LCHF group....we are all a mine of experience and different levels of success there......at the very least we all face the draeded post-menopausla slowness of weightloss! You will be very welcome!
    Can you tell me the name of the group? I looked up "over 50's ladies LCHF" and couldn't find the group.
    Thanks!!
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    The group is "Low Carber Daily -Ladies Over 50" I'm part of this wonderful group of friends too! Will be great to see you over there @saltysailors! :smiley:
  • saltysailors
    Options
    Thanks @Karlottap !
  • MyriiStorm
    MyriiStorm Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    Karlottap wrote: »
    The group is "Low Carber Daily -Ladies Over 50" I'm part of this wonderful group of friends too! Will be great to see you over there @saltysailors! :smiley:

I just searched the Groups for Low Carber Daily -Ladies Over 50 and it didn't come up. Do you have a link?
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »
    I've been doing keto for 3 weeks. No change at all. No weight loss, no change in clothes/measurements. And I'm still tired (but functional)

Honestly logged every day

That's a puzzle, all right. Don't give up!

Have you read the sticky, "START HERE The LCD Launch Pad"?
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10103966/start-here-the-lcd-launch-pad#latest

Great tips there, including pointers about keeping your electrolytes in balance to avoid/reduce fatigue and using keto calculators. (Contrary to others' experiences, I have found it perfectly possible to overeat on a keto diet....)

Good luck!

I'm also perfectly capable of overeating on a keto diet. Yummmmmm.
  • bjwoodzy
    bjwoodzy Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    This is not in the Launch Pad (yet), but I just saw it bumped tonight, first post might prove helpful in understanding keto better

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/684525/why-the-rapid-weight-loss-on-low-carb-induction-stops/p1
  • kmn118
    kmn118 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else choose their next meal according to what's left in macros from food logging? I was going to eat tuna but saw I needed carbs and fats to fill out my day, so ate an avocado.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    kmn118 wrote: »
    Does anyone else choose their next meal according to what's left in macros from food logging? I was going to eat tuna but saw I needed carbs and fats to fill out my day, so ate an avocado.

I don't really believe in needing carbs... I wouldn't purposely eat them to reach a goal.
    I had at one time tried to reach calorie and fat goals even when I wasn't hungry. I did learn there was no reason to reach any goal except for protein and just eat to satisfaction. But that thought process developed over time and with advice from others about allowing my body to use its excess stored calories and fat and it was like, "oh, duh, that makes so much sense". lol

If I was hungry and had already maxed out carbs, I would definitely avoid eating any more and try to get something high fat with or without protein depending on if I needed it and what was available to eat and how hungry I was, which was mostly a non issue, especially the first 6 months. But, if I was hungry, I would eat. The only major macro I really watched to get the fewest carbs possible. I just always feel the best mentally that way.
  • saltysailors
    Options
    Well, it's been nearly 2 months so nice I started this woe........and still only minimal changes....ah well...it's very disappointing and discouraging.....but I'm not giving up.....and this week I've been extra hungry, instead of having a decreased appetite, so that's a bummer :(
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options

I do this every day. If I haven't bothered to pre-log, I just start throwing together things, and modifying until it all maths out.
  • saltysailors
    Options

I do this every day. If I haven't bothered to pre-log, I just start throwing together things, and modifying until it all maths out.
    Well this is a super smart thing to do! I did this at dinner time and it worked out well....except all I could eat was a meapiece of fatty steak cooked in butter....everything else was already eaten...hahaha!