July 2016 Move Your @ss Challenge

Options

Replies

• anaconda469
    anaconda469 Posts: 3,461 Member
    Options
    @QUEENEGREENE - I am so sorry to hear that. :cry: I know firsthand how devastating that can be. My heart goes out to all involved.

Secondly, I wanted to drop a note to apologize to all of you for being so distant and less actively involved in conversations here than usual the last couple of months, but things have been really stressful and chaotic at the homefront here. We're having near daily struggles and battles with my girlfriend's 16-yr old son.

He is special needs and apparently no consequences nor punishments will deter him from breaking basic rules of the household...really just basic rules of decency. He lies to us, steals from us, and won't follow his punishment long enough to get off of it. He's been grounded to his bedroom for over a month now. We've had to remove every electronic device that accesses the internet and take it to our workplace for storage. The TV is locked so he can't view it. I have to unplug the router daily and take it to work with me. We've had to put chains & locks on closet doors to keep him out. We are about at our wit's end here. We have been searching and begging for help and it's not coming fast enough. The confrontations keep getting uglier and uglier. We have to sleep with our phones, wallets & keys in our pillowcases at night because he comes in our room at night while we sleep to try to take them and play on them or steal from them. We put a keyed doorknob on our bedroom door, but it doesn't stop him from prying it open daily. And we don't want to shut it at night because then we won't get any A/C in our room. After warning him multiple times that were were going to call the cops on him, we finally had to make good on the promise after he stole her credit card that she had just replaced from the last time he took it and used it without permission. He was unsuccessful in charging any money to it this time at least. But even that middle of the night visit from the cops has not changed his behavior one bit in the last week. We woke up to him digging around in his mother's nightstand drawer for her wallet again yesterday morning! He previously took the credit cards to purchase in-game currency for games he's downloaded on his phone or x-box. But with all of those devices and game systems gone out of the apartment, now he just steals cash to buy pop from the vending machine down the hall. It's petty theft at best, but it's very troubling and worrisome that he can't control his impulses!

He has an in-home therapist coming twice a week for 2 hrs each and also goes to group therapy for 5 hours on 4 days per week. It is not helping in the least. We're prisoners in our own home. We started keeping an "incident log" about 6 weeks ago and it's already up to 9 pages long! We can't straight out legally kick him out until he's 18 (about 13 more months) but what we really want is to get him the RIGHT help or he's definitely going to have problems as an adult and just end up in jail.

Sorry to dump all that but I really needed to vent some frustration. :unamused:
    Dave

Prayers to you @QUEENEGREENE. Dave, feel free to vent all you want. We are here for you/
  • anaconda469
    anaconda469 Posts: 3,461 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I am just on autopilot/ :(:(:(

07/15 - 21.0 miles cycling (TdF Stage 13)
    07/16 - 18.0 miles cycling (TdF Stage 14)
    07/17 - 19.0 miles cycling (TdF Stage 15)
    07/18 - 18.0 miles cycling (TdF Stage 16)

Total: 307.0 miles

exercise.png
  • tahm42
    tahm42 Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options

exercise.png
  • 2essie
    2essie Posts: 2,863 Member
    Options
    Adding 3.34 and 4.29 miles walked

75.68 miles walked to date
  • Leanz
    Leanz Posts: 2,025 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    @queenegreene So sorry for this loss your family hasexperienced.

@darkrider42 Pretty tough times at your place! I hope help arrives for you all. Feel free to vent any time

18 Jul 6.1 miles
    19 Jul 11.2 miles

MTD 207.5 miles
  • Hungry_Annie
    Hungry_Annie Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Sorry I haven't been active. I hurt my calf so I haven't done any exercise :(
  • Lisah8969
    Lisah8969 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    @queenegreene - Sending prayers to you and your family.

@darkrider42 (and everyone!) - vent away on this forum. We are all here to support each other in ways other than just praise for miles completed. Sometimes just getting it out can be a relief. I am sorry that I don't get on here to support everyone as much as I should.

But @darkrider42 - I do have one question....where are you? Just noticed you said "pop". I'm from OH originally, but am in FL now. I still call it pop and I don't care that people here don't know what I mean.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    30 minutes on the stationary bike yesterday for 8.58 miles-

exercise.png
  • wanderan
    wanderan Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    adding 7.91 miles

exercise.png
  • kar328
    kar328 Posts: 4,150 Member
    Options
    3.2 mile walk after a substitute instructor in this morning's muscle conditioning class tried to make my arms and shoulders fall off. The feeling came back eventually.

exercise.png
  • 2essie
    2essie Posts: 2,863 Member
    Options
    @queenegreene So sorry for you and your families loss. I know how that feels. I had a miscarriage many years ago.

Dave. It sounds awful for you at the moment. I cannot begin to understand how you are feeling at the moment. Let us hope you get the help you need soon. Sending good thoughts your way for a solution for you. Thank you so much for carrying on doing this, even with all your problems.

5 miles walked today

80.68 miles walked to date
  • JTH11706
    JTH11706 Posts: 2,921 Member
    Options
    4.5 miles walking in the city today. I had a lovely day, got all my errands done, and had a haircut with a fabulous new hairdresser.

@queenegreene - So sorry. Here's hoping for happier times in the future.
    @darkrider42 - Vent away. What a difficult situation. I have to believe that in some way you are getting through and helping him, as slow as it may be to show. You have a very good heart for hanging in there and trying.
  • GrandmaJackie
    GrandmaJackie Posts: 35,966 Member
    Options
    7/18 8.5 miles
    7/19 10.25 miles

As of 7/19 211.25 miles of 250 miles

exercise.png
  • cpanus
    cpanus Posts: 19,292 Member
    Options
    Walked w/DH early then hit the gym w/DDD for an hour workout then got on the recumbent for 52 mins and some Banshee. We have Bean for the afternoon and are just hanging out together.

07/19 - 9.00 miles
    07/19 - 14.00 bike miles

exercise.png

Hope everyone has a fine Wednesday!

Chris
  • Lovemyalex
    Lovemyalex Posts: 3,807 Member
    Options
    July18
    25.99 miles
    395.59 miles MTD
  • darkrider42
    darkrider42 Posts: 5,317 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    =============================
    SPREADSHEET UPDATED TO HERE

See (but not edit) the
    spreadsheet here:

http://tinyurl.com/myac201402
    =============================

@CLEPANT - You keep tearing it up passing your GOAL 3X this month! :smiley:

And CONGRATS to @JUST_CECI for blowing past her goal as well!! Plenty of month left!! :drinker:

@HUNGRY_ANNIE - Sorry your calf is still bothering you! Is it getting any better yet?

I want to thank you all for all of the kind words and encouragement and allowing me to vent. Not sure what we're going to be able to do. It just may be the way his brain is and he'll have to learn coping skills to overcome it. But he's going to have to really want to. Not sure that's ever going to happen. I've felt that was the case for some time now. His brain is not functioning properly and there won't ever be a fix for it, only learning to live with it and manage it. What that means to his mother and I is that we have a couple choices. Continue trying to get him help to learn how to get his behavior under control (we will do everything WE can, but essentially it's up to him to put it in practice). If that fails and we continue having multiple significant blowups every week or so, then we either are going to have to ride it out for the next year and then kick him out or we send him to long-term residential treatment (2-3 years) and his mother has to sign away parental rights. That sounds horrible, but believe me, a couple nights ago we would have done it without batting an eye if we could have. It has gotten to that point. We're in crisis mode.

We can't let our guard down now though. If we start overlooking when he does wrong stuff, then he'll just keep doing it. But if we keep catching him, he'll stay permanently grounded and will be so bored that he'll continue breaking the rules anyway. We really can't win. :/

• clepant
    clepant Posts: 3,357 Member
    Options
    @ Dave: My heart goes out to you and your girlfriend. You do not say what his handicap is nor do you need to share. Would drug therapy help? You said he is in therapy. Could it also be hormonal along with his emotional challenges? I work with lots of emotionally challenged kids and I have seen and heard things that would shock most. I also had a neighbor whose son was stealing like crazy from them. It came down to them allowing him to live there but they allowed him access to the basement only and he could not come in to the rest of the house. He had an entrance from outside. He stole his dad's wedding ring and sold it. I also can understand your thoughts on residential treatment. We have so many issues with mental health in this country and nothing out there to help with it. My prayers are with you guys. Please feel free to vent....we are here for you.

• clepant
    Options
    @Dave: My heart goes out to the two of you. What a difficult time and I am sure it has been so stressful. I deal with a lot of emotionally challenged kids and I know most people would not believe what some of their parents go through on a daily basis. I had a neighbor whose son was steeling from them like crazy. They fixed up the basement for his room and locked him out of the rest of the house. He had access from the outside only. He stole his dad's wedding ring while they slept and sold it. I also dealt with a mentally ill mother for years and each day was so stressful. I sure hope that you can find some help for him. I would assume that through therapy they have also tried some sort of drug therapy if feasible. Please feel free to vent here anytime you need to. You have to find a release or this will be just as bad for the two of you. I will keep you in prayer.
  • clepant
    edited July 2016
    Options
    July 19: 22.11 miles of which I ran 4.11 miles, cycled 16 miles and walked 2 miles today.
    TTD: 385.11 miles

exercise.png
  • sufferlandrian
    sufferlandrian Posts: 8,201 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    12 miles out of 350.

Adding 56 miles for 68 out of 350.

Adding 35 miles for 103 out of 350.

Adding 101 miles for 204 out of 350.

Adding 21 miles for 254 out of 350.
This discussion has been closed.