What's your motivation?

Options

Replies

• Carnivorekat
    Carnivorekat Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Karlottap wrote: »
    @Kathrout1973, I would have him on LCHF in a heart beat! Wouldn't it be wonderful if you saw improvements with his conditions that eased his suffering some? It would be hard to cheer that loud in a forum like this, but I would!!!

I will keep you informed of how it affects him - he has only half heartedly started it, but he has been eating crap for too long so its going to be small steps for him but he is definitely up for trying and has also told me not to buy any more crap for him and he is going to be eating like me - we have nicknamed it our Dino diet LOL - he is obsessed with dinosaurs (especially meat eating ones like the T-Rex)
  • dasher602014
    dasher602014 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    I was just tired of feeling old, tired and fat. And I was worried about my health.

That simple.

LCHF helps keep the appetite in check so that I can lose weight. And that is a good thing now, for vanity, and for the future, for health.
  • fuelednfit
    fuelednfit Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I have two motivation. First control my diabetes without medication. Second be healthy to keep up with the kids and be involved in their active life style. Like this summer I am coaching my son's soccer team...well they are only 5y old but at 235lbs I wouldn't be able to do it now although I'm 34 week pregnant I can handle it kind of easily...if it's not 35degree C
  • LauraCoth
    LauraCoth Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I hate to admit it, but my motivation is just plain old vanity.

I do have health challenges -- I have Hashimoto's thyroiditis, and it was never properly controlled until recently. I'm also a decade post-menopausal, and though that didn't cause weight gain, it did cause intractable, severe, chronic insomnia. I was put on bio-identical progesterone to help with that, and though it did, it also caused me to gain a lot of weight in about a month or two, most of it on my chest and stomach. And it won't come off. Just won't - and I have never had trouble losing weight in the past. Calorie-restricted diets don't seem to work any more; I get too hungry at night and can't sleep.

But those things aside, I just can't stand the sight of myself. I can't stand oozing out of the top and sides of my bra. I hate the blubber on my belly. MY ARMS WOBBLE!!!! :#

Vanity. Pure vanity.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I read through this thread and realised I never commented on my motivation!

I began this woe, in April, 2015, with the desire to lose weight, and be able to wear cute clothes! So he's, vanity was my reason. But, once I realized the health benefits (decreased fibromyalgia pain, decreased chronic sinusitis, decreased headaches, clear skin, I could go on!) the weight loss became a side effect. It's wonderful to be able to wear cuter clothes, and to say I've accomplished my original reasons, but it's so much better to be able to live without so much pain!

Thing is, I've lost weight many times, but never experienced the improved health! LCHF has made the difference!

@kathrout1973, it's great that you've gotten your son on board! Just the fact that he doesn't want anymore "junk" is a huge step!! Good for him! I look forward to hearing more! :blush:
  • Brigit723
    Brigit723 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    My motivation is loaded, everything from health to vanity. I want to reset the insulin resistance, get off the metformin, and get off of the thyroid med. I'm hoping to see improvement in my psoriasis, body pain (Fibro.). I want to look better, I want to wear all my fabulous clothes from 4yrs ago. I want to be able to run around and be crazy active with my son.
  • Shadowmf023
    Shadowmf023 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    1. So people stop comparing me to my sister who's a stick.

2. So I can become stronger and give my brother somewhat of a challenge when we "wrestle"

3. So I can have more confidence around people and not be so self concious.

4. To wear all the clothes I LIKE and not just clothes that "compliment my apple shape".
  • GlitterRayne
    GlitterRayne Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    We all have some awesome reasons for starting on a healthy lifestyle.
    Mine is simple. I was diagnosed with t2 diabetes. I've already got some retinopathy and a1c is high. My dad and grandmother have it and I don't want the complications they have had.
    I also want to e able to have more energy. Used to be when I'd get off work I'd fall asleep on the bus. When I got home I'[d fall asleep on the couch. I want to fix that.
  • Yocum1219
    Yocum1219 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    1. So I'm not the only "fat" person in my household of 5.
    2. So I have more energy to keep up with housework after toting 3 kids around to soccer/taekwondo/cheer.
    3. So I don't end up diabetic like my father & his mother. And my mom's dad & brother.
    4. So I can stop feeling disgusted when I look in a mirror. (Even though my daughter loves rubbing on my belly....I want it gone)
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Mine have changed over time, as I have slowly improved myself.

Start: tired of being a disgusting, heaving mass, that looks like a pile of laundry covered in mayonnaise.
    After losing 30 lbs: starting to feel better, and am convinced that it will continue to get better, so long as I don't let myself lapse back.
    After 80 lbs.: holy crap, I almost have a human shape. This is getting good.
    After 100 lbs.: *kitten* it, why stop now?
    After 115 lbs: okay, that's enough, time to maintain, so I can make sure my numbers are on point, eat all the things, and get back to wrecking weights.

As you can see, as the progress went on, it went from "need motivation", to the process and progress itself being the motivation. Trust me, it sucks at first, but as soon as you realize that each day, there's a good chance that you'll wake up, look at yourself in the mirror, and see more veins starting to try to peek through the skin on your abdomen, you need no other motivation.
    Jamie Lewis put it best for me: nothing will ever taste as good as being lean feels.
  • BaconSan2
    BaconSan2 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    We had a cousin recently die of cancer - she was the kind of person who did it all right - slim exercise etc. She was 71 & it scared me I thought if she could get cancer "What hope have I got?" All our relatives die of cancer. So I thought "I hope it is not too late & if cancer is coming I don't want to help it to get here for either my husband or myself" Even if genetics are to blame so is the body's inflammation caused by sugar I'm convinced. I want to dial back the clock on that disease & improve the health of however many years I have left. The upside is the we both feel better in 2 weeks than we have in years & I'll lose some weight (finally).
  • Majcolorado
    Majcolorado Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I used to be really fit - I floated up hills in 100 mile mountain bike races, lifted respectable weights in the weight room, and could effortlessly backpack all the trails. Then I got complacent.

15 years and 60 pounds (now 43) later I woke up and all I could think was, "What the *kitten* did I do to myself?".

I want my life back. Fitness for me means more confidence, more competence, and more liberty.
  • Cyndi146
    Cyndi146 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I've always been overweight and have always been super self conscious. My mom is a cute little 5'2" thing that loses weight by stopping soda. I definitely got my dad's genes with my tall-ish (5'8") and big boned frame. I birthed 4 amazing children fairly easily though so that's a plus. I've lost weight the hard way before (CICO) but of course it always came back. As my daughters reach young adulthood, I see them facing some of the same weight struggles I always have. I THANK GOD that the skinny stick model figure is not praised like it was when I was a teen. But I want them to feel good about themselves and not be continually self conscious. I'm doing it because I don't want to have to wonder if the person laughing behind me is maybe laughing at my weight. The bonus is that my daughters are seeing my example and asking questions and even joining me during August to "test it out" :)
  • co_lau
    co_lau Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I am learning to love myself. It's a weird, squirrelly process filled with successes and failures. One of the things I know about me that makes me love myself is that I am an athlete. I can bike 50 miles in the Colorado mountains. I can run half marathons and feel strong afterwards. When I weight train, I lift respectable amounts of weight. I swim a hard, fast long distance.

But my body does not love the carbs I was consuming to fuel all that. My body loves the idea of becoming diabetic.

My motivation is to eat awesome and delicious food (OMG BACON YAAASS) to fuel my beloved workouts, and I've finally realized I love being a strong athlete more than I love bagels and cookies and cake and pizza on a puffy crust.
  • anewlifeat40
    anewlifeat40 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Mobility. For the past 6 years I've been unable to be active due to an old si joint injury being constantly inflamed... I've been working with a physical therapist, RMT, chiropractor, and my doctor to get my mobility back. It's slow and painful, and some days I can't do as much as my brain wants to do (like today), but it's slowly getting better each week...
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    My motivation is that I don't want to die from a massive heart attack at a young age, like most men in my family have done. (my father, my grandfather, my uncle etc.)