Daily Check In Thread

Options

Replies

• inka912
    inka912 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    W5D1 today. It felt good to run outdoor again.

Good job everyone! :smile:
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    NancyN795 wrote: »
    Today I did a 5K to 10K Week 2 run.
    My stats today: 5.07 miles in 65:29 for a pace of 12:54. That pace amazes me! I'm not sure how I did it - I sure didn't feel fast today. The last time I did the same run, back on July 16, my pace was 13:52.

@NancyN795 Remember those Dreaded Hill Runs. They provide so many hidden benefits and an increase in pace is one of them. Serious Congrats
  • jennypapage
    jennypapage Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    w4d2 today. went better than last time for sure. at some point i felt i could go on a little bit longer. maybe the 8 minute goal next week is achievable. not sure about the 20 though.
  • rickc74
    rickc74 Posts: 416 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    w4d2 today. went better than last time for sure. at some point i felt i could go on a little bit longer. maybe the 8 minute goal next week is achievable. not sure about the 20 though.

You'll do fine at both. I'm doing day three of week seven tonite, so I know exactly how you feel, I was there not long ago. I found the trick is all in the breathing, and not worrying how fast you are running, as long as you are running. I was pretty nervous about the 20 minute run two weeks ago. Now I can't wait to start the 28 minute one :)
  • rusgolden
    rusgolden Posts: 1,337 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    @jennypapaje - I agree with @rickc74 ... you will do just fine. For me, it was all about sticking to the program... there were a couple times when I felt I could run more, but instead I walked when it said walk and ran when it said run. That's not to say it is bad to run longer if you want, but I chose to stay strictly to the program and that worked for me. If you look back a couple months on this thread (pg 231/232), you will see that I had the same fears, but it is a mental game that you can win because the program prepares your body, its just a matter of getting your mind to believe you can do it.
  • jennypapage
    Options
    thanks guys.i try to focus on my breathing ,but sometimes i have to yawn, which messes everything up.i'm going to do my best for sure and won't get too disappointed even if i fail.
  • rickc74
    Options
    thanks guys.i try to focus on my breathing ,but sometimes i have to yawn, which messes everything up.i'm going to do my best for sure and won't get too disappointed even if i fail.

When my breathing gets messed up (usually when I try to grab stuff at a Pokestop as I run by it :P), I slow right down for a minute or so - both my running and my breathing. It seems to help.

• CariTJR
    CariTJR Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Ok, so I'm back to re-starting the C25k, I haven't been running since April (my Mum died, it was horrible) and I went out for my first run in months last night and it nearly killed me. It's amazing how your fitness level drops when you don't exercise for ages!
    Anyway, I ended up doing intervals as I was struggling really badly after the first few mins, and I decided it would probably be a better idea to ease myself back into it all again rather than just expecting to be able to go out there and run after so long (why did I even think it would be possible?). So, I'll re-start the programme and go from there, hopefully it won't take too long for me to get back to where I was as I have a 5k in 3 weeks - yikes!
    Good luck all, you can do it. :smile:
  • rickc74
    Options
    Sorry for your loss :(

Good luck with the 5k. Hopefully you'll get back on track quickly.
  • jennypapage
    Options
    w4d3 done.yay!
  • NancyN795
    NancyN795 Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    Had a hard drive crash on Monday evening, so missed posting on Tuesday, so I have two updates.

On Tuesday, I did a 5K to 10K Week 3 run. I ended up walking on more than one of the steeper sections, but still posted a really good time (for me). My stats for Tuesday: 5.57 miles in 70:38 for a pace of 12:40. Again, a faster pace than my last run! The last time I did the same run, back on July 24, my pace was 13:19.

Today, I did 5K to 10K Week 4 Day 1. Again, I walked on the steep sections but still had a good pace (which actually makes sense, since I can walk up those steep sections as fast, or faster, than I can run them). I did try to make up for it a little by running during half of the prescribed walk interval. Stats for today: 5.67 miles in 71:37 for a pace of 12:38.
  • rickc74
    Options
    Started week 8 yesterday. Tried it outside yesterday morning - got a little over halfway through the run and thought I was gonna pass out from the heat. Packed it in. Then I went to the gym last night and did the full 28 minute run on the treadmill, without the heat stroke worries. Treadmill running is way easier than outside running, it felt like I could have done another 20 minutes if I wanted.
  • Lovemybody75
    Lovemybody75 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Week 8 day 1 done!
  • jennypapage
    Options
    I'm a bit disappointed today....i was supposed to do w5d1 , so i decided to leave the earbuds for my phone at home and test how well i can listen to the instructions without them,so i could take my mp3 player with me for w5d3.well ,let me tell you i could hear almost nothing. so after the first 5' run, i did not hear it when she said to walk for 3' ,so i kept running. And then i didn't hear the "run for 5 minutes" either, so i kept running. At that point i started feeling tired and i knew something was wrong but kept going, and then i didn't hear the "walk for 3 minutes" again either, so i started walking when i thought the 5' were up. And then i think less than 3' later, i heard her say to run for 5' (the last one) so i did.
    So, even though i run for more than 10' non-stop, it sucks that i didn't follow the plan as i should,so i have to repeat this day again on wednesday.Good news is ,i feel like i can do the 20' as well now. So all in all, not a total bust.
  • rickc74
    Options
    I'm a bit disappointed today....i was supposed to do w5d1 , so i decided to leave the earbuds for my phone at home and test how well i can listen to the instructions without them,so i could take my mp3 player with me for w5d3.well ,let me tell you i could hear almost nothing. so after the first 5' run, i did not hear it when she said to walk for 3' ,so i kept running. And then i didn't hear the "run for 5 minutes" either, so i kept running. At that point i started feeling tired and i knew something was wrong but kept going, and then i didn't hear the "walk for 3 minutes" again either, so i started walking when i thought the 5' were up. And then i think less than 3' later, i heard her say to run for 5' (the last one) so i did.
    So, even though i run for more than 10' non-stop, it sucks that i didn't follow the plan as i should,so i have to repeat this day again on wednesday.Good news is ,i feel like i can do the 20' as well now. So all in all, not a total bust.

Mentally, gearing up for the 20 was huge for me. It was really nice getting it done :). It was also not too bad, after sticking to the program.
  • rickc74
    Options
    Week 8 day 2 was last nite. Ran this one outside, as it wasn't as hot out as it's been. Definately a tougher run outdoors, but it went fine. I'm averaging about 6.5 min/km, so I'll have to pick up the pace to do 5k in 30 min, but running that long doesn't seem to be a problem.
  • NancyN795
    NancyN795 Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    5K to 10K W4D2. My willpower was somewhat lacking today. I took multiple short walk breaks. However, I did run during most of the walk break I was supposed to take. It was already warming up this morning, but I can't actually say that it was hot enough to blame the temperature for all those breaks.

Stats: 5.67 miles in 71:46 for a pace of 12:39. So, actually just a tiny bit slower than the last time.
  • BethAnnieT
    BethAnnieT Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I'm supposed to be doing a C25K workout today... not sure the w/d but it's two 10-minute run intervals with a walk in between. I'm kind of scared, and coming down with a headache, so I'm debating whether to give this workout a try, or do a "filler" workout of shorter run intervals, like 3R / 2W x 10 then try the C25K workout when I'm feeling better. Maybe I'll do the C25K prescribed workout, and just stop and walk if I'm feeling too bad to run, knowing I can redo this one if I want, cause I'm the boss of me :) Better figure it out; I have to get going in 30 minutes.
  • BethAnnieT
    BethAnnieT Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Update to the previous post: I did the C25K, ran the first 10-min interval (YEAH!), and 8.5 minutes of the second 10-minute interval, at which point I pooped out and had to walk the last 90 seconds. OH WELL. It actually went a lot better than I thought it might. I'm going to redo this particular workout sometime this week, then move on. :)