Daily Check In Thread

Options

Replies

• smplesong
    smplesong Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Week 3 day 3 today. I had to start walking at 2:30 the second 3 minutes which was really discouraging, but at least I'm moving. I think I need to redo week 3
  • ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    smplesong wrote: »
    Week 3 day 3 today. I had to start walking at 2:30 the second 3 minutes which was really discouraging, but at least I'm moving. I think I need to redo week 3

Seriously just go slower on the run intervals. If it bolsters your confidence then redo it but my advice is to do W4D1 but do the run intervals slower. Most people fail because they think they need to "run" faster than they do. The programme is all about getting more time on your feet in running motion not about speed. The more time you spend in running motion, the more your cardio vascular system copes and teh faster you will get. Trust the process. Enjoy it and be successful

• ftrobbie
    Options
    nala3177 wrote: »
    W7D1 Twenty five minutes! S T R A I G H T!!!!! 1.7 miles with no walking and I feel fantastic. Utterly amazed at my progress :-)

Congratulations!!

• Aine8046
    Aine8046 Posts: 2,122 Member
    Options
    HannahsMother2012, yirara, madmags, nala3177 - you are awesome! :)
    smplespng - agreed with ftrobbie - go slower.And if you need to redo a week - redo it!

• Aine8046
    Options
    It was so cold yesterday I went to the gym and added some incline to the treadmill. Week 6 Day1 is done!
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,539 Member
    Options
    Aine8046 wrote: »
    HannahsMother2012, yirara, madmags, nala3177 - you are awesome! :)
    smplespng - agreed with ftrobbie - go slower.And if you need to redo a week - redo it!

Thanks a lot. Sometimes a girl just needs that :blush:, and congrats for beating week 6 :smile:
  • imfree2bme
    imfree2bme Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    i did w3d3 today for some reason it was really challenging. I don't think i stretched enough or not drank enough water lately. my legs were killing me 6 minutes in to it. i finished it though. not sure what happen this time around the last 2 runs where hard but good. this one i really want to quit. any of you guys have that issue end of week 3?

question i was looking ahead on my c25k app and after week 4 d1 it says run a 5k train for 10k. i thought it was an 8 week program. I'm doing the c25k app through zen. any ideas
  • ftrobbie
    Options
    imfree2bme wrote: »

question i was looking ahead on my c25k app and after week 4 d1 it says run a 5k train for 10k. i thought it was an 8 week program. I'm doing the c25k app through zen. any ideas

My copy says warmup, run 3min, walk 1.5 mins, run 5 mins, walk 2.5 mins, run 3 mins, walk 1.5 mins, run 5 mins, cool down. So not sure what has happened to yours!

Suggest reloading it or restarting it

Re tiredness, have you rested enough (days rest between runs), getting enough sleep, or done a lot of any other activity (long walk etc). In the absence of that run slower, you might be going to fast, can you hold a conversation while running, recite a poem etc. If not you are running too hard.

• jennamae102
    jennamae102 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    W8D2 done!

Distance: 2.12 miles
    Time: 28:12
    Avg Pace: 13:18
  • Aine8046
    Options
    W8D2 done!

Nice! Time to graduate? ;)
    Are you planning to run an official 5k?
  • yirara
    Options

No idea to be honest. Did you skip a few training days and the app now assumes you're in week 8 already?
    I'm using a free running app (runkeeper) that lets me enter the different workout days by hand. That way I'm not stuck with an app yelling at me that I should run today, or otherwise messes up the whole schedule. Their 'learn to run' programme is rather bad on that respect as well.
  • yirara
    Options
    W8D2 done!

Congrats! Go for it :smiley:
  • nala3177
    nala3177 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    W8D2 done!

Whooo!!! Great work!
  • jennamae102
    jennamae102 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    W8D2 done!

Thanks! I will do the 30 minute run tomorrow, and then I think I want to keep adding time until I can actually run the 5k, then I will consider an official 5K!!
  • ftrobbie
    Options
    W8D2 done!

Thanks! I will do the 30 minute run tomorrow, and then I think I want to keep adding time until I can actually run the 5k, then I will consider an official 5K!!

Think about doing the bridge to 10k, it is the c25k for the first 8 weeks and then it continues in the same vein until 10k which you are unlikely to get done in the hour. The good news is that after about 3 to 4 weeks you are likely to be able to do a 5k in under 30 mins. Good luck

• yirara
    Options
    Week 5 day 1 done!
    I did 5 intervals of 5 minutes.
    Distance: 5.20km / 3.23 miles
    Time: 43:33
    Pace: 8.23 / 13.25

I noticed I started out too fast and felt very wasted after the three intervals. But then I thought that I always do the first run of the week fast, and the other two longer, so what the heck... and tried to run the other two back home faster as well.

I tried a new route today but found out there was hardly any street lighting and lots of stuff on that road. So I had to run on, onto the biggest road in town (very smelly and lots of honking cars) and on through a place locally known as cholesterol corner (extremely smelly! I do like a burger with fries every now and then, but not there!), which had even more traffic. Made it :smile:

I am worried about D2, though I try to keep in mind that those 5 minutes today were difficult because I was running so fast. Aaaargh!
  • Aine8046
    Options
    Week 6 Day 2 done! No more intervals - next run is 22 min and then adding more and more every time :)
  • Aine8046
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    Week 5 day 1 done!
    I did 5 intervals of 5 minutes.
    Distance: 5.20km / 3.23 miles
    Time: 43:33
    Pace: 8.23 / 13.25

I noticed I started out too fast and felt very wasted after the three intervals. But then I thought that I always do the first run of the week fast, and the other two longer, so what the heck... and tried to run the other two back home faster as well.

I tried a new route today but found out there was hardly any street lighting and lots of stuff on that road. So I had to run on, onto the biggest road in town (very smelly and lots of honking cars) and on through a place locally known as cholesterol corner (extremely smelly! I do like a burger with fries every now and then, but not there!), which had even more traffic. Made it :smile:

I am worried about D2, though I try to keep in mind that those 5 minutes today were difficult because I was running so fast. Aaaargh!

I hate big roads too... :(
    Congrats on making it!
  • imfree2bme
    imfree2bme Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    yirara wrote: »

No idea to be honest. Did you skip a few training days and the app now assumes you're in week 8 already?
    I'm using a free running app (runkeeper) that lets me enter the different workout days by hand. That way I'm not stuck with an app yelling at me that I should run today, or otherwise messes up the whole schedule. Their 'learn to run' programme is rather bad on that respect as well.

I haven't skipped anything, so far i'm doing 3 days a week and just finished my third week(struggling but finished). i've tried turning my phone on/off and shutting the program down but it goes from w3d3 to w4d1 to run 5k bridge to 10k. which i'm nowhere near to doing. i'm using the c25k program through zens. its nice cause it runs with spotify and pretty much tells me what to do. with runkeeper do they already have the c25k plan already in the program?
  • yirara
    Options

I haven't skipped anything, so far i'm doing 3 days a week and just finished my third week(struggling but finished). i've tried turning my phone on/off and shutting the program down but it goes from w3d3 to w4d1 to run 5k bridge to 10k. which i'm nowhere near to doing. i'm using the c25k program through zens. its nice cause it runs with spotify and pretty much tells me what to do. with runkeeper do they already have the c25k plan already in the program?

No, they have their own 5K programme, which I thought was rather rubbish. But this seems to be the only free version running app that allows me to create custom interval workouts, and so I spent 10 minutes to put the whole C25K programme in there.

As the weather here commonly has warnings "don't go outside! Duststorm!" I'm glad I don't use an app that starts yelling at me I should run TODAY despite weather conditions don't allow for it. It's a good solution for me.

Oh, this app has another shortcoming people should be aware about: something is dodgy with their elevation model. After each run I get total elevations of around 200-300m, in a completely flat area. What I need to do is to go to edit track, switch off 'snap to road' and move one random data point ever so slightly. Then I get realistic elevation data.