The Obesity Code and Radical Acceptance

Options

Replies

• toadqueen
    toadqueen Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I just finished reading The Obesity Code and it resonated very deeply with me based on my own journey with weight gain and loss and Type 2 Diabetes. It also pained me because I spent many years being verbally abused by doctors and given insulin and sulfonylurea drugs, told to eat a low-fat, high-carb diet, consistently gaining weight, and told I was not following their protocol. That ended in 2009 when I just by chance started doing the Atkins Diet to avoid gastric bypass surgery and lost almost 100 lbs and stopped all medication but Metformin within weeks. I stopped Metformin a few months later. I maintained the weight loss for just over a year and then noticed that I would periodically begin to retain water, so I began to water fast for a few days at a time after each incident until I no longer felt swollen.

Like the OP, I am here to heal. I am a metabolic mess and I do not know the answers. I just know that I feel best when I eat fat, meat, water, and salt and when I take a break from eating.

I was curious in the book in the Solutions chapter in Step 3 : Moderate Your Protein Consumption (p. 230) as to why he is advocating limiting protein to 20-30% of total calories citing, "Excessively high-protein diets are not advisable and are quite difficult to follow, since protein is rarely eaten in isolation...thus...are usually quite unpalatable" as his reason along with them being difficult to comply with. I do not see any research supporting this.

Just curious about others opinions. Some days my diet is mostly protein, others mostly fat. I do eat carbohydrates occasionally but that is willful.

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    :) You are doing wonderfully. Nice job.
  • GregStone2
    GregStone2 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    you should eat a high fiber diet with carbs that are high in fiber and high protein high fat while doing a low carb ketogenic diet and intermediate fasting
  • GregStone2
    GregStone2 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    thats what I started doing
  • Abm4n
    Abm4n Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    @Roseygirl1 it would appear that you are on the right track here. One of the take home ideas from a LCHF convention I just attended was that small changes gradually applied can be helpful. After all, we didn't get to where we are now suddenly but gradually, over a long period of time. I find that I can incorporate many helpful ideas if I allow myself time to incorporate them into my practice. Thanks for the great insight shown in this thread.
  • dasher602014
    dasher602014 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    GregStone2 wrote: »
    you should eat a high fiber diet with carbs that are high in fiber and high protein high fat while doing a low carb ketogenic diet and intermediate fasting

Many people are doing LCHF in different ways. I am glad that a high fiber diet, high fat and high protein is working for you. For some it doesn't. I have been told to reduce protein a little because I was excreting it. I don't have a source but I think excessively high protein can be hard on the kidneys. And for those that are diabetic, excessive protein can be metabolized to raise your blood sugar. Maybe others, @Sunny_Bunny_ ? more knowledgeable can weigh in here.

@roseygirl1 the binge is understandable. I too have managed aging parents and difficult conversations. And although I wish they were still with me, I am not sure that I would wish to repeat those difficult times. What struck me about your post was the self awareness. Good for you. I think next time, and you are right, there will a next time of stress, you will make different choices to be kind to yourself. Your dinner party sounds fantastic! And cake poking sounds like a great strategy too! I would count the binge, the dinner party and the cake poking as a win.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    thats what I started doing
    you should eat a high fiber diet with carbs that are high in fiber and high protein high fat [/b]while doing a low carb ketogenic diet and intermediate fasting

I don't know how high fiber, high protein, high fat ketogenic would work. Typically when you say you eat a high (whatever) diet, you eat more of a certain macro than all others, thereby only one of them is high while the others are low or moderate. This is a very confusing statement.
    And fiber can do a lot of harm to the system. It's another one of those things we have always been told we "need" so much of that upon going without we can realize how much better off we typically are...
    I was always told to eat high fiber since I had no gall bladder and IBS. Back then, I actually felt like it helped. But going keto was like a light came on and I realized I felt better with little of it and then going carnivore really made a difference finally getting rid of the last symptoms of digestive issues while getting only traces of fiber on occasion.
  • kmn118
    kmn118 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    It used to be all about losing weight. Now, I am seeing fat loss as a side effect, not a goal in itself. I tell myself that I am repairing a damaged metabolism, and that a healthier metabolism will right the wrongs.

This!! And I am learning so much about my body and what it needs for health. Thank you all for being engaged in this mutual struggle in a positive manner!
  • jassnip
    jassnip Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    @Roseygirl1 you are such an inspiringly positive person.
  • supergal3
    supergal3 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    @Roseygirl1:I, too, as a senior (older than you, I might add) have struggled in the past with the "parents" issue. While I struggled with it at times I was always glad that they lived long and productive lives and that many are not as fortunate as I was to have those family issues. You seem to have the right approach to your life, as it is at the moment, and taking it slowly but ever forward, is a good approach. Cheers!
  • Roseygirl1
    Roseygirl1 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    So today I had my second personal training session. It was scheduled for 8:30am and I did it without eating breakfast, as I wasn't hungry when I woke up. I walked briskly for 30 minutes and then we did the strength training for another 30 minutes. It was just the right amount of challenging: I enjoyed it, I worked really hard, but I didn't get hurt and my muscles feel pleasantly sore. Which is exactly right for where I am right now.

I'm HUNGRY today! I suppose I asked my body to do more than it is used to, and in a fasted state. I will go over my set calories today because I refuse to white-knuckle true hunger. (It's all about disciplined kindness.) Being careful with carbs today in the face of the HUNGRIES!

Rosey
  • suzqtme
    suzqtme Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    RE the 70s and snacking, I grew up in the 60s and my family as well as all my friends families at 3 meals a day. There were no snacks except possibly Saturday night. Usually this was a cereal bowl of popcorn and perhaps a shared bottle (16 oz back then) of regular soda. So about 4 oz of soda. If you complained of feeling hungry before supper, it was "you'll spoil your appetite". This was just normal eating. Dishes were done and no one ate again until the next meal.

At school, there were no snacks except kindergarteners who got milk and a graham cracker for a snack midmorning before their nap. Kindergarten was a half day. No one starved. Poor grades weren't blamed on lack of food at home. Funny how test scores continue to drop and yet we are providing more and more food to kids at school (breakfast, lunches and now, in our area, we are providing afterschool snacks and even box lunches for kids to take home and eat. Ok, off my soapbox.
  • Aquawave
    Aquawave Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    suzqtme wrote: »
    RE the 70s and snacking, I grew up in the 60s and my family as well as all my friends families at 3 meals a day. There were no snacks except possibly Saturday night. Usually this was a cereal bowl of popcorn and perhaps a shared bottle (16 oz back then) of regular soda. So about 4 oz of soda. If you complained of feeling hungry before supper, it was "you'll spoil your appetite". This was just normal eating. Dishes were done and no one ate again until the next meal.

At school, there were no snacks except kindergarteners who got milk and a graham cracker for a snack midmorning before their nap. Kindergarten was a half day. No one starved. Poor grades weren't blamed on lack of food at home. Funny how test scores continue to drop and yet we are providing more and more food to kids at school (breakfast, lunches and now, in our area, we are providing afterschool snacks and even box lunches for kids to take home and eat. Ok, off my soapbox.

While, my kids have long grown up, (in their 30's) I now and then read our local paper and see what kids have for breakfast and lunch. It is all cheap carb laden food.
  • Roseygirl1
    Roseygirl1 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    There's a very good set of visuals about children's lunches around the world. Here it is:

huffingtonpost.com/2015/02/25/school-lunches-around-the-world_n_6746164.html
  • Aquawave
    Aquawave Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    OMG, I am at a loss for words, very unsettling.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    You still see that "food pyramid", "healthy plate" influence on all of them but at least the other countries have actual food and not food products...