Bob Lamb - OMAD 9/6/2015

Options

Replies

• blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    Options
    Thanks all,

Gout runs in the family. My dad had it and my brother has it. It can cripple me with no warning. My feet feel good now but wouldn't you know it, I've got a little cold. I will get back though. Thanks
  • OMADing1
    OMADing1 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    blambo61 wrote: »
    Thanks all,

Gout runs in the family. My dad had it and my brother has it. It can cripple me with no warning. My feet feel good now but wouldn't you know it, I've got a little cold. I will get back though. Thanks

I've heard gout can be truly painful. Here's some link that I'm HOPING will help!

Home Remedies for Gout

http://www.top10homeremedies.com/home-remedies/home-remedies-for-gout.html

Again, I'm so GLAD you're back! o:)

• mittenswillet
    mittenswillet Posts: 697 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    oh Blambo...I dont even need to write anything here to encourage you, your already a dam legend in your own right!!!!!!

You've come so far on this journey......Im so proud of you, you have no idea. =):)

And I agree with omading, your jogging just blows my mind (I cant even jog period!) so never forget that what you do is just incredible.
  • blambo61
    Options
    Kitty,

Your too kind (I haven 't done nearly as much as a lot of you). I get a LOT of inspiration from all of you. Sometimes I'm doing good and sometimes it's someone else. I think we all help each other a bit. Thanks, appreciate it!
  • SavedByGrace26356
    SavedByGrace26356 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I agree Bob....we do depend on each other. I get a lot of encouragement reading the posts and knowing I'm not the only one doing OMAD.
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    I agree Bob....we do depend on each other. I get a lot of encouragement reading the posts and knowing I'm not the only one doing OMAD.

Same here. I get ideas, strength, and encouragement from each one of you.
  • 1MADGIRL
    1MADGIRL Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Howdy,

Sorry haven't been around much. Still alive! A quick update on me. I've had leg problems for a while and my foot started having gout problems so I went to the doc and he gave me some stuff that has helped a lot and my foot is feeling better now. I'm back to walking about 30-min 6xweek and am just jobbing 6-minutes of it. I'm going to add 1-min/week to the jog and see how it goes. I had one crazy week where I had to work a lot of hours and I eat when stressed and have to work late into the evening. I didn't fast much (except breakfast) that week. I've been dong about an 18:6 routine lately. Total damage is about 6-lbs gained and I'm at about 212 right now. Not great but I haven't been working out for about 2 months much and also had the crazy work week and also did try to go hunting during some of this (I eat when I hunt). I'm working back into the exercise and also the fasting. Hope all is well with everyone. I will need to read others posts to see what is happening. I've been super busy with work and other stuff so has been a little difficult to post lately. Take care.

Sorry to hear about your leg problem :(

Can I please ask you what 18:6 means? You eat in a 6 hour period?
  • DebSozo
    Options
    1MADGIRL wrote: »
    Howdy,

Sorry haven't been around much. Still alive! A quick update on me. I've had leg problems for a while and my foot started having gout problems so I went to the doc and he gave me some stuff that has helped a lot and my foot is feeling better now. I'm back to walking about 30-min 6xweek and am just jobbing 6-minutes of it. I'm going to add 1-min/week to the jog and see how it goes. I had one crazy week where I had to work a lot of hours and I eat when stressed and have to work late into the evening. I didn't fast much (except breakfast) that week. I've been dong about an 18:6 routine lately. Total damage is about 6-lbs gained and I'm at about 212 right now. Not great but I haven't been working out for about 2 months much and also had the crazy work week and also did try to go hunting during some of this (I eat when I hunt). I'm working back into the exercise and also the fasting. Hope all is well with everyone. I will need to read others posts to see what is happening. I've been super busy with work and other stuff so has been a little difficult to post lately. Take care.

Sorry to hear about your leg problem :(

Can I please ask you what 18:6 means? You eat in a 6 hour period?

It is a form of intermittent fasting. There are a bunch of videos on YouTube describing this. OMAD is a form of intermittent fasting. 18:6 means you do not eat for an 18 hour time frame and only eat in the 6 hour window. I did 16:8 for a few months with 2MAD. I had a light brunch around 10 am or sometimes 11 am and then ate a dinner at 6pm with family. I was successfulat this but still maintained. So I think OMAD will help me much more. When I get to goal I will go back to 2MAD for maintenance.
  • 1MADGIRL
    1MADGIRL Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Oh wow. So when I think I'm cheating on weekends I'm actually doing 18:6... This is really motivational for me!

Thanks for the explanation.
  • DebSozo
    Options
    1MADGIRL wrote: »
    Oh wow. So when I think I'm cheating on weekends I'm actually doing 18:6... This is really motivational for me!

Thanks for the explanation.

Do you still stay within TDEE on the weekends? If so then you will slow down loss but won't obliterate your work on weekdays. But be careful because it is easy to erase hard work if you eat over TDEE regularly.

I'm going to use a weekly calorie goal, so I can adjust for any heavier meals by eating lighter on other days. I hate gaining. It demotivates and makes me miserable.
  • blambo61
    Options
    I've usually have a cheat day on Saturday. I don't count the calories. I usually gain 3 lbs on the weekend because of it and then 3 -days back on OMAD and I'm back to where I started. 3-more days of OMAD and I've lost another lb or so. I didn't always have a cheat day and it will slow you down a little.
  • SavedByGrace26356
    SavedByGrace26356 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Sounds like it works for you Bob and you get to have a cheat day and lose weight. Awesome!
  • DebSozo
    Options
    Sounds like it works for you Bob and you get to have a cheat day and lose weight. Awesome!

I lose so slowly that one cheat day could obliterate my weekly deficit. Bob, it's great that you can lose a pound in half a week. I tried dieting during the week and eating off plan on weekends but it didn't work for me. I would like to do that if I could.
  • blambo61
    Options
    We all have to adjust to what works. Also, it needs to be sustainable so we can get there in the long run.

I had a real hungry day today again and ate some coconut oil and that stuff really works on me. I think I ate less than 100 cals of the stuff which is better than me going off and putting a lot of food down. I'm still hungry after eating it but it gets rid of any gnawing feeling. I had kind of forgotten about that go-back. So it's a lot of water for me and some coconut oil if needed tell dinner. I'll start posting some results starting next week.
  • DebSozo
    Options
    We all have to adjust to what works. Also, it needs to be sustainable so we can get there in the long run.

I had a real hungry day today again and ate some coconut oil and that stuff really works on me. I think I ate less than 100 cals of the stuff which is better than me going off and putting a lot of food down. I'm still hungry after eating it but it gets rid of any gnawing feeling. I had kind of forgotten about that go-back. So it's a lot of water for me and some coconut oil if needed tell dinner. I'll start posting some results starting next week.

You are so right on about finding out what works best. Thank you for sharing your coconut oil idea. Did you discover this yourself? It worked for me the other night.
    :smile:

• OMADing1
    OMADing1 Posts: 337 Member
    Options

Thanks Bob for the coconut oil info. I love to cook with coconut oil and it's loaded with good fats too! Water is my absolute best friend, but the weird thing about water is, I have to make myself drink it...it's not natural for me to drink at all--but it fills me up super big time. Also, the herbal teas I'm drinking is miraculous for staving off hunger. My standards are: all organic and high quality mostly loose leaf milky oolong, turmeric/ginger, and various slimming/detox zero cal and zero sugar teas.
  • blambo61
    Options
    DebSozo wrote: »

You are so right on about finding out what works best. Thank you for sharing your coconut oil idea. Did you discover this yourself? It worked for me the other night.

No, I read about it. I figured it doesn 't spike insulin either and shouldn't kick us out of fat burning mode.
  • blambo61
    Options
    OMADing1 wrote: »

Thanks Bob for the coconut oil info. I love to cook with coconut oil and it's loaded with good fats too! Water is my absolute best friend, but the weird thing about water is, I have to make myself drink it...it's not natural for me to drink at all--but it fills me up super big time. Also, the herbal teas I'm drinking is miraculous for staving off hunger. My standards are: all organic and high quality mostly loose leaf milky oolong, turmeric/ginger, and various slimming/detox zero cal and zero sugar teas.

So far I just drink water. I've always liked drinking water though. It is critical for me to drink a lot of water. I think it helps in a lot of other ways besides staving off hunger. I don't get sick as much when I drink a lot of water.
  • DebSozo
    Options
    DebSozo wrote: »

No, I read about it. I figured it doesn 't spike insulin either and shouldn't kick us out of fat burning mode.

Excellent.
  • blambo61
    Options
    I'm going to go for 215 as my baseline for this week. That is a bit more than where I thought I was but that is where I'm at after fasting and getting rid of excess water and food in the guts. So next week I will see how I have improved on the 215 figure.

I've been able to exercise some since getting over my cold and lung congestion. I walked Mon, Wed, and today played some ultimate frisbee (way too much, I may be crippled tomorrow). I really enjoyed getting out. I did that at lunch today and I was not hungry for the rest of the day. I really did push myself though and a hard cardio event will take away hunger It has other implications too though like gaining muscle (good thing but can be mistaken for not losing fat), raising stress levels and inhibiting fat loss, and injury.

I'm a lot more motivated than I've been for a while and I feel I'm going to go on a good run here for weight loss. I even counted cals last couple of days because when I've lost my best that is what I did.

My routine now is:
    1. Drink lots of water in the day starting soon after I get up
    2. Eat a little coconut oil if I get really hungry before dinner time.
    3. Work out about 3xweek after the fast (walk/jog)
    4. At dinner time, first eat my whey protein, yoghurt, fruit, milk smoothy and vitamins. I probably put down about 500 cals doing this but it fills me up quit a bit.
    5. Eat whatever is served for dinner (I usually eat about 1-1/2 plates of stuff or until full. Drinking the smoothy reduces the amount I eat and I think I eat less cals doing that than filling up on the dinner.
    6. I allow snacking for the next couple of hours but I usually don't eat that much so I don't think it hurts me much. I have always done this. I think I could improve a lot on what I eat though because this is when I've always had a sugary desert which probably isn't helping. I think I would lose a lot more if I just ate fruit or fruit/cottage cheese (ice-cream substitute).

I will probably count cals to make sure I'm not eating too much although I followed the routine mentioned for a long time and could lose 1-lb week still. I don't lose 2,3, or 3+ lbs/week doing this like some who are strict with portion control in the evenings but it has been a routine I can do for a long time so I'm sticking with it (I did lose at about 2lbs/week doing as described for awhile but I slowed done probably mostly due to cheating a little and not getting as much exercise as I did at first). If this doesn't work, then I will have to control the portions in the evening more and maybe watch what type of stuff I eat too (I hope I don't have to do that). Wish me luck!