Trusting the Process

Options

Replies

• brileylmt
    brileylmt Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    tj0861 wrote: »
    ....and on Black Friday ALL the crazies come out!!! My mum and sisters and I used to hit it every year, but we eventually gave it up when shoppers got so aggressive. I do anything important on line now!!

I used to love to go out on Black Friday. My Mom and sisters and I would go out at 4 am to watch people. My one sister was really into it and could shop for hours. I can't do that. I loved to watch the bazaar actions of some people. It would get hillarious!!! It started getting too dangerous to go out to people watch so I dont anymore. I agree with you. I love shopping online! Sitting in my jammies and sipping a cup of hot tea.
  • empressichel
    empressichel Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    @beverlyriley900
    Are you going through phases of different rep ranges?
    http://eatmore2weighless.com/periodization-key-preventing-plateaus/
    It is essential in order to keep progressing.
    Ichel
    EM2WL ambassador and moderator
  • Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    @beverlyriley900 lifting is different for everyone. When you start out, you may find the weight can increase quickly, and sometimes it stalls out, because like you mentioned, the grip strength cant take it. Thats why its important to make sure you are changing things up in your workouts. An endurance phase sucks when it comes to lifting. 15-20 reps, fast past can drain the life out of you:) But what I realized is the endurance phases and sometimes even the hypertrophy phases are done to help build that grip strength up. They are critical in helping you get through a big strength phase. Always listen to your body. If you cannot lift the next level of weights up, then dont. Thats something for the next time.

STS runs you through a Endurance (Meso 1) a Hyperstrophy (Meso 2) and a strength (meso3) phase. The 1RM is done before you do the program so you have the right weights for the exercises needed so it takes away a lot of the guessing during the run. So in meso 1 you run through thr 15-20 rep ranges, then meso 2 is 10-12 I think, and the meso 3 is hitting the PRs with 4-6 reps (i think) Ideally, yes by meso 3 you are pulling PRs in everything. But it is critical to make sure you are eating at maintenance especially in meso 3 so you are fueling the body to have those strength gains.

kelly
    EM2WL Ambassador and Moderator
  • brileylmt
    Options
    Thanks @empressichel and @Raynn1 that information helps. I think I have been doing mostly phase 2. I did ChaLean Extreme but changed to the other awhile ago. I am doing mostly the 10 rep area on all the exercises. I look forward to getting STS and will order it next week. A friend has sent me a spreadsheet that her friend come up with of the STS program to keep track once I start with it. It looks like I will do well with this program once I start it. It appears to be more structured and I think that is what I need.
  • empressichel
    Options
    @beverlyriley900
    If you check out Cathe.com she has workout sheets you can print out for STS.
    They were really useful for me. I still have them from when I last did STS as it's a great reminder to see how far you progress.
    Ichel
  • Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    If you are planning to buy STS in the black friday sale, dont forget to look at some of Cathes other programs. My other fave included Slow and Heavy:)

Kelly
    Em2WL Ambassador and Moderator
  • brileylmt
    Options
    I decided to do on Cathe demand for a month to see what I think. How do I figure out my one rep max? I don't see a program guide on the site.
  • brileylmt
    Options
    I finally found the one rep max on a tools page on her website. It has a lot of neat options on it. I took complete measurements this am right after I got up. I took body fat, circumference measurements and scale weight. I will work hard at clean eating and sticking to Cathe workouts as directed by this STS program over the next month. If I like the program, I'll keep going. I took some time and ran part of the first video, I think I'm going to love this program. I wish the streaming wasn't so expensive. I prefer streaming to purchase that way you can change it up easier. Have a great week everyone
  • empressichel
    Options
    Yay @beverlyriley900
    Laser focused with a solid plan!
    Do let us know how you get on.
    Can't wait to hear!
    Ichel
  • brileylmt
    Options
    I have started week 3 this week using the on demand of STS. Hubby ordered the DVDs for me for a Christmas gift, so after the 20th I'll continue on DVD. I have really enjoyed this program. I have noticed a big difference. I have been able to increase weights since starting STS. I did the 1 rep max for everything before I started and I do agree, that is the way to go. That way you know exactly what you will need to do the program. The program is different that anything I have been doing so the first week was awkward for me but I am rock'n now. I take measurements monthly so I don't know what has changed over the last few weeks, numbers wise. I do feel like I have more energy, endurance and overall feel better. I really, really want to do a cut, but I think it is mostly due to being tired of seeing my belly stick out like I'm pregnant. I do the STS Monday, Wednesday and Friday. I have been trying to do something else on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday but I have not stayed consistent with it. The time change has messed up everyone's sleep schedule still. I am wondering if I add the STS AB workout on Tues, Thurs, and Fri would that be too much daily workout? Should I add it on the days that I weight lift, to keep the harder workouts all on the same day? Or does it matter?
  • empressichel
    Options
    Glad to hear you are rocking It!
    As long as you are resting each muscle group for 24 hours (like if you do legs on a Monday, don't do strenuous leg workout on Tuesday) you can add ab work in on your rest days. Or you can just totally chill and rest on your rest days! The magic of the muscles is made on the rest days!
    Ichel
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Exercise if done right tears the body down in some manner. (if it doesn't, the body has no need to improve)

Rest for recovery and repair is what actually builds it back up, stronger if diet allows.

You'll sooner or later impact the ability to have a good meaningful strong workout that tears you down, because you won't have enough rest.
    Workouts will usually feel the same - "giving it your all" usually does - but it'll be mediocre in comparison to what could be done if well rested.

That being said, the diet at maintenance will help.
    You sleep enough?

If the workouts day after day are using different muscles groups - then it's a matter of can you recover enough for purely enough energy to have another good workout the next day, when other muscles are perhaps sore.

If it's the same muscles - forget it.
    Nothing like wasting a good workout by killing the repair process, and setting the next workout to be not great either. Just causing stress at that point on the body, unrecovered workouts repeating.

If it is same muscles - do it the same day with whatever strength you got left. Get all the damage done - and have a good recovery day for the whole thing.
  • ibtmas
    ibtmas Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Wow! Thanx for this. This was already a question in my mind since a few days as i too workout 3x. Mon upper body(40m) Wed legs (30m) and Fri full body (30m).
  • brileylmt
    Options
    I am following the STS, bicep/chest on Monday, tricep/back on Wednesday and legs in Friday. If I remember correctly on the program. I was thinking abs on in between days as getting up at 5am already and I have long days on those days.
  • heybales
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Ah, abs is different, as they aren't worked in traditional lifting sense to do damage the same way, to gain the same results - a bigger muscle.
    Sure you want to see it and want it strong, but that's about the diet. As it were, abs are made in the kitchen.

Rarely do you see reps done in normal strength training range, because they are used as core stabilizers on almost every single lift - so their workout is endurance most days.

So putting them between days is just fine.

What kind of volume does STS provide doing 1 x weekly like that, like sets x reps?
  • brileylmt
    Options
  • brileylmt
    Options
    I'm in the first phase. I do 15 reps for most exercises but each muscle group is worked several times, different ways. I have seen great results with STS. And it's only been 3 weeks. I see much better results than I did with Beach Body workouts. I learned of this program through this group.
  • heybales
    Options
    Nice idea doing endurance phase first - to maximize muscle memory for good form. (despite their use of the term confusion).
  • empressichel
    Options
    That's why STS is such a good programme. Because it's periodised. Endurance then hypertrophy then strength.
    The results will keep coming, no doubt.
    Ichel
  • brileylmt
    Options
    When I first started I wasn't sure what each set of numbers meant. I am getting an understanding of different aspects and still learning other aspects. One area have wondered about is my actual TDEE. When I started I used the calculator for EM2WL my TDEE is 2026. My 15% cut is 1722. My BMR is 1473.

I am finished with meso 1. I have been watching my numbers on my Apple Watch over the last month. My average "active energy" is 480 a day. My average "resting energy" is 1700 a day.

I have gained about 8-9 pounds since starting EM2WL. Do I stay with 2026 calories a day? Or adjust with higher weight or adjust my needs to what my watch shows for resting energy plus active energy?

I am a massage therapist and and carry a moderate caseload with majority of my work is specililzed and/or deep tissue. I have wondered if I have underestimated my daily activity. I'm more active than a desk job but I'm not constantly walking either. I do STS 3 days a week for my workout.

I am more focused on the body recomp vs weight loss at this point. I take my monthly measurements tomorrow. I was thinking about doing a cut next month for a bit of weight loss but wondering with looking at my Apple numbers maybe I haven't reached my TDEE?