Options
1235»

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    baconslave wrote: »
    The tides feel like they are turning. Maybe the time will come soon that we will feel more comfortable not having the private status. I feel like the level of acceptance has greatly increased in the almost 2 years I've been into it. If it keeps going this way, we may not have to worry so much about the hater-ade

A-the-cat-behind-the-curtain-soon-meme.jpg

Soon we can go public so it is searchable. Mwahahahahaaaaa!
    Er...I mean....I'm totally anti-haterade...yep. :wink:

Seriously though, the environment has improved A LOT in the past year. You will actually see a lot of non-low-carbers saying there is nothing wrong with low-carb and correcting misinformation regarding it correctly. There are still haters, but it's gotten tons better. I have high hopes that we'll achieve complete low-carb neutrality out there one day soon.

Sadly, I have to say that I will share a lot less personal data if we go back public again. A search of "knitormiss" just in basic google turns up a plethora of extremely personal things I posted on this service (MFP) without realizing how NOT PRIVATE it really was (which I fully acknowledge is my own foolishness)... I cannot share the gory, gritty side of things the way I do not if this group goes back to public, which is a shame, but also, if it goes public, all of the posts I made while the vote was to keep the group would then be open to googling. I really should learn to stop posting personal information for my own sake, but that would be my primary concern and major hesitation, which I fully understand and admit. I also know that at any point, UA or anyone to whom they might parlay this function in any form could at any point publicize my personal data, which technically they now own by the nature of my having posted it within their service, and all that does is leave me in a conundrum of my own making. So, TL;DR...nevermind, I'm having a mad at myself, dose of reality moment.

I posted that the environment is getting more pro-LCHF and then a day or so later I get pm'ed to shut up because no on cares. LOL ;)

It is getting better but... There are still some turkeys out there and there probably alway will be.... I do see your point. :)
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    Yes, Virginia, there will always be turkeys. We wouldn't have our rich and glorious history of miracle diets if no one had sworn blood oaths to such crooks as the Cigarette, Tapeworm, and Drinking Man's Diets. The LF diets are practically saints in comparison.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »
    Yes, Virginia, there will always be turkeys. We wouldn't have our rich and glorious history of miracle diets if no one had sworn blood oaths to such crooks as the Cigarette, Tapeworm, and Drinking Man's Diets. The LF diets are practically saints in comparison.

Wait... tapeworms are bad?
    Dang it @RalfLott !!! Why didn't you mention this before?!?!
    ;)
    And drinking mans diet is off too?!?!
  • RalfLott
    edited January 2017
    Options

Wait... tapeworms are bad?
    Dang it @RalfLott !!! Why didn't you mention this before?!?!
    ;)
    And drinking mans diet is off too?!?!

Actually..... the Drinking Man's Diet was just decoration. :* It's probably better suited to non-Methodist carnivores than many of the LF variants! B)

And tapeworms may turn out to be the Miracle for the Microbiome!

There!
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options

Fortunately, to this point, no one has advocated getting cancer to lose weight....although I have known people who smoked because it helped them curb their appetite. :s
  • swezeytba
    swezeytba Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    bjwoodzy wrote: »
    xi9dt08ouh1o.jpg

Love it!
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    bjwoodzy wrote: »
    xi9dt08ouh1o.jpg

I feel fortunate that bad breath was not a side effect of ketosis for me. The sardines I just ate on the other hand.....
  • annie422
    annie422 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I love this post. I'm re-joining, I was all in through the summer and then fell off this fall. Back on track and feeling so lucky to have this community to lean on (even though I do feel guilty for leaving for awhile...). Thank you all!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    :#@KnitOrMiss
    Oh man. I've shared some pretty gnarly *kitten* too....

MFP will delete users' posts on request. I can't imagine you wouldn't have an ample opportunity to keep yours from becoming crawlable/searchable (which they aren't now).

@RalfLott - they would literally have to delete all of mine, which wouldn't be useful across the board, as some none critical detail stuff that is useful to folks is there...because there is absolutely no way to cherry pick through my likely hundreds if not thousands of posts...

Reminder to self: future employers can find any ID on you if it's in a public platform or if you reuse names...

• KnitOrMiss
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    baconslave wrote: »
    The tides feel like they are turning. Maybe the time will come soon that we will feel more comfortable not having the private status. I feel like the level of acceptance has greatly increased in the almost 2 years I've been into it. If it keeps going this way, we may not have to worry so much about the hater-ade

A-the-cat-behind-the-curtain-soon-meme.jpg

Soon we can go public so it is searchable. Mwahahahahaaaaa!
    Er...I mean....I'm totally anti-haterade...yep. :wink:

Seriously though, the environment has improved A LOT in the past year. You will actually see a lot of non-low-carbers saying there is nothing wrong with low-carb and correcting misinformation regarding it correctly. There are still haters, but it's gotten tons better. I have high hopes that we'll achieve complete low-carb neutrality out there one day soon.

Sadly, I have to say that I will share a lot less personal data if we go back public again. A search of "knitormiss" just in basic google turns up a plethora of extremely personal things I posted on this service (MFP) without realizing how NOT PRIVATE it really was (which I fully acknowledge is my own foolishness)... I cannot share the gory, gritty side of things the way I do not if this group goes back to public, which is a shame, but also, if it goes public, all of the posts I made while the vote was to keep the group would then be open to googling. I really should learn to stop posting personal information for my own sake, but that would be my primary concern and major hesitation, which I fully understand and admit. I also know that at any point, UA or anyone to whom they might parlay this function in any form could at any point publicize my personal data, which technically they now own by the nature of my having posted it within their service, and all that does is leave me in a conundrum of my own making. So, TL;DR...nevermind, I'm having a mad at myself, dose of reality moment.

I posted that the environment is getting more pro-LCHF and then a day or so later I get pm'ed to shut up because no on cares. LOL ;)

It is getting better but... There are still some turkeys out there and there probably alway will be.... I do see your point. :)

@nvmomketo . Wow. Just ... wow. That's awful.
  • dasher602014
    dasher602014 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    I don't know the tech environment of MFP at all. But ....

Is there any way we could have a public group which has all of our stickies in it and a single closed discussion thread which refers interested people to ask to join this private group? Sort of a stub public group with information.

This does not solve the search problem on threads but would the stickies be found in searchs? It might encourage at least mfp members to find us.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    Good idea. If we had threads that were clearly public, that might do the trick. Maybe they could be sanitized before they see the light of day or Google crawlers ... (user names removed, perhaps?)
  • krazyforyou
    krazyforyou Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    Let us all remember when this was new to us. I say bring it on. They finally figured it out.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    That just seems like extra work for our already underpaid and overworked mods...

Maybe if we can figure out how not to make it something extra - or have someone step up and volunteer to bear the load?
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,952 Member
    Options
    I don't know the tech environment of MFP at all. But ....

Is there any way we could have a public group which has all of our stickies in it and a single closed discussion thread which refers interested people to ask to join this private group? Sort of a stub public group with information.

This does not solve the search problem on threads but would the stickies be found in searchs? It might encourage at least mfp members to find us.

Well the stickies that are not open and the link/resource libraries would work fine with that. Anything from the private group, including the Open Threads list, would only be available through membership.

It would take some time to port those over, but not too much. Since it would just be a quote, then c&p process from one tab to another. It's an option. And a link at the bottom of each to the private group.

However, we'll end up with 2 groups to manage. There will be people that don't mind hanging in the public group. There will be many. So they still won't get the info we've amassed through conversation in the private threads. And then the public group will need to be modded.

We seem to get plenty of referrals here already. I think 2 groups will just muddy the waters. JMO.
  • dasher602014
    dasher602014 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I wondered about that. And we don't want another group to moderate!!!!!

I guess there is no way to set up the group but close it to added discussions. So it is an info site only. I don't know what is possible with mpf.

Maybe another vote later on. I would possibly change my vote now.