Did you swim today?

Options

Replies

• juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Forgot to post yesterday. Being the last session of ASC for 2016 the plan was a few of the instructors favorite drills - lots of play time. 12 in all based on the 12 days of Christmas.
    1 x 25m Dolphin Kick w fins
    2 x 25m Flutter Kick w fins
    3 x 25m Whip kick
    4 x 25m Broken Front Crawl @ 10s RI
    5 x 25m Broken Breast @ 10s RI
    60 Strokes for Max Distance - Minimum Time
    7 x 20 secs Treading Water - even weighted - odd Vertical Kick
    8 Pickup Sticks - Starting in Shallow end - Dolphin Dives to collect 8 objects from bottom of pool and return them to the shallow deck. w Fins assist for the deep end items.
    9 = 3 Dives + 3 Lengths + 3 Waterslide rides
    10 Item Tag relay - Move 10 items from Shallow to the Deep end deck & return to shallow
    11 Flip Turn Relay
    12 4 Breast, 4 Back, 4 Crawl. Relay - everyone had to do at least 1 length of each stroke

A lot of these drills/exercises are used in the Kids/Junior programs to break up the normal drills with a Fun Activity - a way of incorporating the skills they have been working on.

One of the items in the 10 Item relay was they tossed Life Jackets into the deep end and you had to get a LJ that fit you and put it on, secure all the Zippers/Straps then swim to touch the wall at the deep end and swim back to the shallow end.

If you have friends-family members who get in power boats with out a LJ because they think they can just grab one if they are in the water and put it on, you should get them to attempt this drill in the pool. Its hard and requires a lot of confidence in breathing control to put on a LJ when you are floating in the water. The 1st LJ was to big so it would just ride up. I had to do 4-5 rolls before I could get both arms in then I was able to stabilize on my back and do the zipper and straps.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    Everything is closed today. No swimming :)
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else find swimming in an outdoor pool a lot tougher than in an indoor one?

Just did 1500m in an outdoor 25m pool and it felt like 4km in a 50m one!

500 free
    200 back
    300 as free/fly/free/back/free/br
    2x 100 free
    2x 100IM
    100 warmdown
  • nuffer
    nuffer Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    emmab0902 wrote: »
    Does anyone else find swimming in an outdoor pool a lot tougher than in an indoor one?

Just did 1500m in an outdoor 25m pool and it felt like 4km in a 50m one!...

Not me. I don't enjoy indoor pools. It's almost always too hot and there's nothing to look at. I enjoy glimpses of planes flying over, the trees, the clouds.

That said, my last swim was kind of ruined by wood smoke sitting right on top of the water and no wind to keep it moving. Unusual for this time of year for it to be so calm.
  • emmab0902
    Options
    Lol I meant physically tougher as in more taxing - it feels more turbulent to me and much slower.
  • emmab0902
    Options
    2000m solo swim.

600 free
    200 kick
    100 back
    100 free
    8x50 free on 60
    300 pull
    200 kick
    100IM

The 8x50 were a bit of a fail. Did them in
    37 37 37 37 37 37 38 36 which isn't great for me. But that's what happens when you slack off. Thinking about going back to USRPT training for the next month or two to get some fitness back.
  • fishgutzy
    Options
    5 miles today in 2 hours 45 minutes. Not bad.
  • fishgutzy
    Options
    4 miles today. Felt like "only" 4 miles after the 5 mile swim. :D
  • fishgutzy
    Options
    4 miles.
  • BethAnnieT
    BethAnnieT Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Feels lame in the company of such rock stars, but here's me:

Swim #6 (of my LIFE, for context):
    300m free
    300m br
    :)
    I've been doing the same exact thing each time, but just trying to do it better. I know I'm not doing breaststroke quite right, but I only ever think to look up form videos when I'm at work, and I'm pretty sure googling "breaststroke form" on my govt computer would be frowned upon. :neutral:
  • juliet3455
    edited January 2017
    Options
    2015 - 154 km of Swimming & 638.4Km of Running
    2016 - 152 km of Swimming & 1343.0 km of Running

First swim of 2017, a new instructor/coach for the Adult Swim Club.
    The pool is bringing new Instructors in as the Regular Instructor will be leaving for College/University in the fall so they rotate some of the less experienced instructor/coach's in to allow them to gain some experience and guidance from the existing instructor.

1400m of drills.
    Warm-up
    4 x 50m- Bk, Fr, Br, Kick

4 min Timed Swim drill. Managed 7.25 lengths = 181m

Kick & Distance/Stroke
    2 x 50m Fr Stream Line Kick
    2 x 50m Fr Arm's X above head
    2 x 50m Bk SL Kick
    2 x 50m Bk Arm's X above head
    2 x 50m Fr Dist/Stroke ( 21 & 23 )
    2 x 50m Bk Dist/Stroke ( 24 & 26 ) Faded badly

Sprint Ladders ( 10s RI on 25m, 30s RI on 50m, 30s RI between )
    3 x 25m, 50m, 25m
    3 x 25m, 25m, 50m
    3 x 25m, 50m, 25m
    2 x 50m, 50m

Cooldown
    50m Choice

I was really feeling my legs today after spending yesterday at the local Ski Hill. T-Bar so no rest for the legs.
  • fishgutzy
    Options
    4 miles.
    Power was out at the Y yesterday morning. Bummer.
  • fishgutzy
    Options
    BethAnnieT wrote: »
    Feels lame in the company of such rock stars, but here's me:

Swim #6 (of my LIFE, for context):
    300m free
    300m br
    :)
    I've been doing the same exact thing each time, but just trying to do it better. I know I'm not doing breaststroke quite right, but I only ever think to look up form videos when I'm at work, and I'm pretty sure googling "breaststroke form" on my govt computer would be frowned upon. :neutral:

Here you go.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l00tfMwHvMI
  • juliet3455
    Options
    @BethAnnieT Well that's a huge compliment being called a Rock Star when it comes to swimming.
    Ironically I consider myself to be slow with lots of Technique Faults. As they would say a "Work in Progress".
    I so understand the Computer restrictions on work computers - especially Gov't PC's.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,262 Member
    Options
    Two swims in since Christmas. Santa brought me a waterproof iPod :blush: Boy, what a difference swimming with music makes for me. I thought it might distract from all of my noisy internal dialogue, but it doesn't. I'm REALLY enjoying it. Now, I just have to remember not to sing while I swim... :lol:
  • juliet3455
    Options
    @girlwithcurls2 The mental picture of you trying to sing while swimming - made my day.
    Remember sing why running not while swimming.
  • Bruceapple
    Bruceapple Posts: 2,026 Member
    Options
    1 mile @ 55 min.
  • BethAnnieT
    BethAnnieT Posts: 263 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    fishgutzy wrote: »
    Here you go.

THANK YOU! I was just sitting here at working thinking, oh I'm swimming today and STILL forgot to watch a video :) Thanks so much! This is helpful. I think I have most of it OK but the timing is a tad off, so now I have something to work purposefully on today, woo hoo!
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    @BethAnnieT Well that's a huge compliment being called a Rock Star when it comes to swimming.
    Ironically I consider myself to be slow with lots of Technique Faults. As they would say a "Work in Progress".
    I so understand the Computer restrictions on work computers - especially Gov't PC's.

Yep, I understand the Work in Progress thing so much. My big problem right now is just not worrying that someone might see me and think "what a horrible swimmer; she's doing that all wrong!" and just going about my business, knowing I don't have to be good at it right now. Just getting in there and doing the work is enough. (But still if someone dares look at me while I'm swimming I still get a little uncomfortable.) Eh, work in progress!
  • aliciamariaq
    aliciamariaq Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    First Masters practice of the year last night and I didn't die! I did manage to go to the pool to swim on my own over the holidays and even did some intervals but didn't push myself as I normally do with the team

3100 m
    300m warm up
    4x100 IM on 2min
    8x100 free on 1:45
    4x100 kick on 2:20
    5x (50 back +100free +50 back) on 1:00 per 50
    200 cool down

• juliet3455
    Options
    Should have posted last night. 1700m with ASC. Warm-up
    50m x 4; Fr, Bk, Br, Kick

Back
    50m x 4; Pull, Rope Pull, Pull, Rope Pull. Concentrate on elbow bend/pull

Fr
    50m x 5; Pull, Shark; Pull, Shark, Easy
    25m x 2; Breathing on 2, 3, 4, 5, 4, 3, 2
    50m x 4; Build
    50m x 4; Consistent stroke count per 50m

Descending Heart Rate; Swim a hard 50, Pulse count. Then reduce pace to keep pulse below this number.
    50m x 4
    Cooldown 100m easy choice
    When you right it down it doesn't look like a lot, but it was an intense workout.