Did you swim today?

Options

Replies

• girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    I got my swim in today. Thank goodness for my 12 year old. She's my swim buddy. It is SO MUCH easier to go to the pool with a buddy. And being NYE, the lanes were quiet. I realized that I was doing fine, but that I hadn't had a proper lap workout in about 3 weeks (maybe more?) because I really enjoy my aqua cardio class. I like being with people, it's a great workout, and it's varied. Oh, and the teacher is great. But I haven't been getting to the pool early to get laps in. That said, I did MsJ's fabulous workout and then a little more to add up to a mile. I lost count of laps at one point, but I know I hit at least a mile.

And I spent most of the time thinking of what my 2016 goal(s) will be...
  • dlmciver
    dlmciver Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Counting the hours... literally, until the pool opens back up the 4th !!! I envy everyone who has been able to swim this past week !!
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    Options
    2000m today. I have to admit that not only was it slow, I didn't enjoy one moment of it. I think my swimming mojo is still lost in 2015. Our club pool closed for a month on 5th December and I have struggled with trying to swim solo ever since. Which is not great timing when I have a meet in two weeks and the New Zealand Masters Games in four weeks. Considering scratching them and getting back up to speed for later in the year.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    First 5 mile swim of the new year.
    Did a 4 mile New years eve. During that swim I did a fast 2000. Pushed it trying to stay under a 1:50/100. Managed an average of 1:46. Not bad for me.
  • nuffer
    nuffer Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    fishgutzy wrote: »
    First 5 mile swim of the new year.
    Did a 4 mile New years eve. During that swim I did a fast 2000. Pushed it trying to stay under a 1:50/100. Managed an average of 1:46. Not bad for me.

That's a great swim! I can only dream of doing 1:50/100 for ... 2x100 yards. Still working and I will be at the pool tomorrow. Went AWOL for a couple of days with New Years Eve and Day which we celebrate enthusiastically around here but it's time to get back on track.
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    Options
    2000m (including 5X200 IM). And I learned three things:
    1) Swimming in a salt pool is too much of a mind warp for me.
    2) Having to join a lane where the swimmer is swimming the "wrong" way ie anticlockwise instead of clockwise is somewhat weird.
    3) Even though I am a backstroker, I swim crooked in an outdoor pool. Going one way I veered to the middle, and coming back I developed an intimate relationship with the lane rope! (Think I was drifting north both ways!)
  • 60sPanda
    60sPanda Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Happy New Year everyone. Skipped New Years day (not hangover related, just laziness) but did a 2.75km swim yesterday and then today a 2.55km one. Nice empty pools so both swims were of the long lazy crawl type, but both were still under the hour mark.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    @ emmab0902 Sounds like you need to get your Compass re-calibrated if you are always drifting North.
    1600m of stuff. 2 x 250Crawl,250Breast + 250m Back + 2 x 50 sprint + 150m of weak side Breathing drills. I have the habit of not rotating enough on my left so I end up whipping my head around to get my face clear of the water. If I do that to many times I start to get some Vertigo type symptom's.
  • fishgutzy
    Options
    Too many chores around the house today.
    Back to work week schedule tomorrow. 5am swim first on the day's agenda.
  • nuffer
    Options
    Did not swim due to too much residual New Year's cheer. Tomorrow, though, is another day, I'm told.
  • 60sPanda
    60sPanda Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Good morning - swam just over 2km this morning - 1km was warm up and mixed drills, followed by 10x 50m sprints then 500m crawl
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    1200 32:21

So I compared my pace (2:42/100) to what I was doing last year at this time (2:57/100)

'Kay, I might be a total turtle, still, but dammit, I'm a FASTER turtle!
  • fishgutzy
    Options
    4 miles.
    Pushed first 2000 yards. A little slower today. Average 1:48/100.
    Less sleep.
    Back to week day schedule. 5AM pool time.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    Pool closed early yesterday and closed all day today. Too much ice on the roads :(
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    The campus pool reopened today after being closed for two weeks, and I thoroughly enjoyed a LOVELY 54-lap 1.5 mile swim in balmy 82 degree F water. The 55 degree F shower afterward because of the broken boiler. . . . not so much.
  • NoelFigart1
    Options
    1200 33:51.
  • nuffer
    Options
    A relaxing evening swim in brisk 35 (F) air: 2500 yds in just under an hour. Need to do some more intervals and build up speed.
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Hello all, happy new year!

I swam once over my holiday vacation, but I wanted to see if you guys had input/opinions...
    I got my ears pierced (2nd holes) about a week and a half ago. I've been getting mixed messages on whether I can swim or not. The woman at the piercing place said I could, online I've read that I shouldn't, but I've also read that I can...
    I swam once a few days after the piercing and the water didn't bug me, but my swim cap pressing on my ears did, so I haven't gone back. That was a week ago. My ears aren't as tender as they were last week, but still...I don't want an infection.
    Any thoughts?
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Another great 2700 y swim. Another shower with no hot water. Drawing on the "Submarine Shower" training I learned from my Navy vet father years ago in Girl Scouts!
  • NoelFigart1
    Options
    htimpaired wrote: »
    Hello all, happy new year!

I swam once over my holiday vacation, but I wanted to see if you guys had input/opinions...
    I got my ears pierced (2nd holes) about a week and a half ago. I've been getting mixed messages on whether I can swim or not. The woman at the piercing place said I could, online I've read that I shouldn't, but I've also read that I can...
    I swam once a few days after the piercing and the water didn't bug me, but my swim cap pressing on my ears did, so I haven't gone back. That was a week ago. My ears aren't as tender as they were last week, but still...I don't want an infection.
    Any thoughts?

If you got professional advice saying not to, I'd run with it. Well, *I* might not run with it, but I wouldn't advise anyone to go against it :)