Replies

• MrsBooBear
    MrsBooBear Posts: 12,618 Member
    Options
    Another hour long swim this morning. :smile:
  • wtskinner
    wtskinner Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I'm counting down. About a week left until I can get this cast off my foot, then I should be able to start getting back into the pool.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    4 miles.
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    Options
    2000m

500 free
    500 kick
    5X100 fly
    200 pull
    200 alt back/br
    100 easy

Boring but better than nothing!
  • fishgutzy
    Options
    Thunder storms today. No swimming.
  • emmab0902
    Options
    2000m

Swam in an outdoor pool today on the beachfront. It's a salt water pool which seemed very odd. My eyes were telling me I was in a pool, but my tastebuds were telling me I was in the sea!
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    Pool Closed for 4 days for Christmas.
  • fishgutzy
    Options
    4 miles
  • nuffer
    nuffer Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Made my goal of two miles on 12/23. But cramping was so bad I'm not loving it. Had to stop a number of times to stretch out calf muscles. And yeah, I was drinking water and yeah I had a banana that morning and yes, I even put mustard on the banana. Very frustrating. I'd like to get that distance without stopping. (Mustard on banana is an ... acquired taste, but better than you may imagine).
  • dlmciver
    dlmciver Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Pool closed for a week. :(
  • siltsu2014
    siltsu2014 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi all! I'm new to this group since I've only just started swimming regularly. I was supposed to go swimming today with my mother but decided to go tomorrow morning instead. We only have a spa-type pool here so it's best to go when it's as empty as possible. Next week when I'm back home from holidays I can go to my usual swimming pool again for some laps and aqua jogging :)
  • emmab0902
    edited December 2015
    Options
    @siltsu2014 welcome to the group and look forward to hearing about your swimming adventures :smiley:
  • fishgutzy
    Options
    7550 yards. Did 10 extra laps today. Maybe more layer.
    Vacation. So plenty of time for 2-A-Day.
  • 60sPanda
    60sPanda Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone - I have been swimming, but not posting as I was getting fed up saying swam 2km free this morning!! Saying that, it was a 2.3km swim this morning :)

On another note, the pool was empty on Christmas eve morning so I re-attempted butterfly with a double, instead of single kick. Luckily for me (as I was floundering) the lifeguard on duty was also the no. 1 instructor at my pool so he came and gave me some hints. Basically he told me I had NO legs and I thought I was kicking like a beast. So, he told me to practice 3 kicks, arms and breathe, repeat. I was dreadful and had to stop in the middle of a 25m pool to restart - apparently this is because I am getting no propulsion from my legs so have to focus there.

Was too lazy this morning to attempt this again today, but will try to do this a couple of times a week to improve.
  • mpeters1965
    mpeters1965 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Welcome @siltsu2014! Good job to those of you who have gotten in some swimming over the holidays! It's a bummer when your pool closes.

I did swim this morning. First time in a week. About 45 minutes or so of mixed sets. The pool went from dead empty to too many people by the end of the 45 and I didn't feel like swimming in a crowd for another 15 minutes. This may be my only swim until January 12th unless I can squeeze in a quick one Thursday morning. On that day, we are moving my youngest daughter into her new apartment. The next day, the pool is closed. On the 2nd, my oldest daughter and I are driving her stuff and her car across the United States from Florida to Seattle. Five days if we don't push it too hard every day. About 3,000 miles. Then I'll fly back. Yikes!
  • mpeters1965
    mpeters1965 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    60sPanda wrote: »
    Hello everyone - I have been swimming, but not posting as I was getting fed up saying swam 2km free this morning!! Saying that, it was a 2.3km swim this morning :)

On another note, the pool was empty on Christmas eve morning so I re-attempted butterfly with a double, instead of single kick. Luckily for me (as I was floundering) the lifeguard on duty was also the no. 1 instructor at my pool so he came and gave me some hints. Basically he told me I had NO legs and I thought I was kicking like a beast. So, he told me to practice 3 kicks, arms and breathe, repeat. I was dreadful and had to stop in the middle of a 25m pool to restart - apparently this is because I am getting no propulsion from my legs so have to focus there.

Was too lazy this morning to attempt this again today, but will try to do this a couple of times a week to improve.

Very interesting, Panda! I am going to a US Masters Swim stroke clinic on Jan 31st but I don't think I am brave enough to butterfly in front of a bunch of other swimmers. Mine is really bad! I'm just going to work on the three other strokes. They need enough work.
  • nuffer
    nuffer Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    2 miles on christmas eve, a PR, and 2500 under an hour last night. The power went out and the pool was closed while they got it back up to temp.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    Great job getting into the pools, people! I was out for a week. I got back in last night, but was not there in time to get my laps in before class. And Mondays are real *kitten* kickers, so I didn't want to miss class.

Panda, I'm so impressed with your butterfly. I only know freestyle, really. I'm not even a breast stroker yet. I know what breast and back look like, but I also know how technical all of swimming is, and that I don't roll my shoulders enough on my back, and I don't have the kick timed apart from arms and breathing with breast... so I stick with what I know + drills. You went for the big one!!!

By the way, has anyone seen/heard from Stephen? I don't check my own home page, so I generally stopped adding friends a year ago (not really fair to add friends and then ignore them). I know he was feeling unmotivated/burned out lately. He was a real voice of cheer for me. Hopefully he's just taking a break. Stephen, if you're out there, come back! You have made so much progress and improved your health substantially. And I miss your sense of humor :)
  • 60sPanda
    60sPanda Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I had the entire pool to myself for 30 minutes this morning - bliss. Reading about everyone's different swims I mixed it up this morning. 300m warm up then stretches, 100m butterfly (with plenty of rest at the end of each 25m!), 100m kick front, 100m kick back, 100m kick side, 100m catch up drill, 200m pull, 5x100m crawl sprints with flip turns with a 30 sec rest in between, 300m mixed cool down. Felt like a proper work out!
  • AquaticQuests
    AquaticQuests Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    MrsBooBear wrote: »
    Had my first swim this morning after many, many months. Felt so good to be back in the pool! :smiley:
    Welcome back to swimming, BooBear
    Hi everyone!

Mmmm so almost a month after my last post and at last - please God - back at the pool. (It has been a tough month parent illness wise, and so my health too...)

So 750m last week, 850m this morning - and gosh is my body out of shape! But it was good to be back and I will build back up slowly.

Only 100 plus posts to read in this thread!
    Welcome back gently. I've been out too - still out!
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    11 days of fighting a cold and no exercise, unless you call coughing until your ribs hurt exercise. Felt good to get a little exercise in, but definitely felt like a Christmas Slug.
    That's my situation too. Been out fighting flu and all sorts. Hope I'll be able to get in a swim before the end of the week, but not sure.
    siltsu2014 wrote: »
    Hi all! I'm new to this group since I've only just started swimming regularly. I was supposed to go swimming today with my mother but decided to go tomorrow morning instead. We only have a spa-type pool here so it's best to go when it's as empty as possible. Next week when I'm back home from holidays I can go to my usual swimming pool again for some laps and aqua jogging :)
    Welcome siltsu. We all love swimming here!!!
    nuffer wrote: »
    Made my goal of two miles on 12/23. But cramping was so bad I'm not loving it. Had to stop a number of times to stretch out calf muscles. And yeah, I was drinking water and yeah I had a banana that morning and yes, I even put mustard on the banana. Very frustrating. I'd like to get that distance without stopping. (Mustard on banana is an ... acquired taste, but better than you may imagine).
    No idea what's causing the cramping, Nuffer. Hope as the body adjusts to the longer distances, the cramping will go away!
    fishgutzy wrote: »
    7550 yards. Did 10 extra laps today. Maybe more layer.
    Vacation. So plenty of time for 2-A-Day.
    Gutzy that distance keeps going up and up. Given my health lately, I've had to postpone my year end 15km swim goal to next year!!!
    60sPanda wrote: »

Hmmm...it's been awhile since I swam butterfly! Good job!
    Great job getting into the pools, people! I was out for a week. I got back in last night, but was not there in time to get my laps in before class. And Mondays are real *kitten* kickers, so I didn't want to miss class.

By the way, has anyone seen/heard from Stephen? I don't check my own home page, so I generally stopped adding friends a year ago (not really fair to add friends and then ignore them). I know he was feeling unmotivated/burned out lately. He was a real voice of cheer for me. Hopefully he's just taking a break. Stephen, if you're out there, come back! You have made so much progress and improved your health substantially. And I miss your sense of humor :)

No idea about Stephen, but assumed he was just taking a break. Yep Stephen, do t be out for too long buddy!