Did you swim today?

Options

Replies

• matthew_b
    matthew_b Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    fishgutzy wrote: »
    86 is not "hot." :D It was the normal temperature at the Y I used to go to. To me it didn't feel hot until 88. But I still did a 5k swim. They have one pool tythat is used for everything including old folks aquafit classes. They complain if the water gets "down to 84."
    In China it was over 90.
    The Y we belong to now has a separate pool for aqua fit classes that is kept at 88-90 and the lap pool that is around than 78. Much better for laps than 86.

I would die in 88. My home pool is 77°F and I often find it warm. I college they kept one of the pools at 75°F. It sucked at first but was wonderful after a while.
  • matthew_b
    matthew_b Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    1750 in 39:20. Broke 40 minutes with gusto today.

It was an interesting change for me. I was sharing the lane with four. Two were doing sprints and I and another gal were doing distance. The sprinters would go right before one of us turned and would be gone. The gal I was sharing distance with was passing me every other lap. Each time I hit the deep end, I'd get a 5ish second break for the gal to turn and then I'd go right after her. With the 5 second pause every other lap I was doing a faster overall pace than straight swimming.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    Short swim yesterday with lots of kick work. I have such a weak kick. I'm going back this morning while my daughter swims. At this point, just showing up seems like a victory.
  • nuffer
    nuffer Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    matthew_b wrote: »
    1750 in 39:20. Broke 40 minutes with gusto today.

It was an interesting change for me. I was sharing the lane with four. Two were doing sprints and I and another gal were doing distance. The sprinters would go right before one of us turned and would be gone. The gal I was sharing distance with was passing me every other lap. Each time I hit the deep end, I'd get a 5ish second break for the gal to turn and then I'd go right after her. With the 5 second pause every other lap I was doing a faster overall pace than straight swimming.

That's funny, I had the same experience today. Broke up what would usually be one long session with some 100y sprints in the middle and ended up improving my overall pace by nearly 5 sec/100. Overall 3000 yards in 73 minutes.

Cold (40F), windy and rainy today. Perfect for swimming :wink: Now if they'd get the heater in the locker room fixed...
  • aliciamariaq
    aliciamariaq Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Was back in the pool after being away for almost 2 weeks due to various commitements. I went during the free swim period and went into a lane with low expectations since it was pretty crowded. In the lane next to me these three guys were doing a workout and they asked me to join them so we did a set of 4x(200 free + 4x25) and then 8 x 50 in IM order (fly,back, breast,free). It was great to get back in the water, even though I didn't do that much (around 2.2km overall)
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    Options
    2200m

200 free
    100 kick
    200 pull

3X 100 fly with fins on 2.15

100 back

6X 50 fly with fins on 1.15

100 br

10X 75 IM (no fly) on 1.30

150 warmdown

This session was supposed to be 2600m but I had to cut it by 400m as felt very tired. Noticed my resting pulse has dropped to 33 and it's not because I'm fit. Will go see doc in next week or do as having such a slow pulse is causing major fatigue and when you're a single mum of four working full time and swimming competitively fatigue is not good!!!
  • mpeters1965
    mpeters1965 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Swam about an hour. Warmed up, swam some drills, pulled and used my fins a bit (since we were just talking about them) and decided for a long swim at the end. Used my last 25ish minutes to swim 1,000 yds.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    I did go back on Saturday and I had a pretty good swim! Ha! Take that mental fatigue.

Emma, do take care of yourself. I know that you are, but all of us want to hear from you and we all know how important swimming is to you (as well as having four children!)
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    64 laps (3150 yards) in about 80 minutes
  • nuffer
    Options
    got my Finis fins today, had to rush out and do a swim. I relished the feeling of swimming "so fast" on the first 300 but later when I tried another round, the calf cramps set in before I could finish 100 yards and I had to stop sooner than I wanted. I took the fins off and got a decent cardio workout for the evening. Any hints on using them are welcome.
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    I haven't been posting every swim, but I am trying to aim for three days a week, minimum of 2000 yards each. I got a kickboard for my birthday last month so I work 50 kick in between each long set, so it works out to 200-400 kick each workout. I have a very weak kick, so I'm trying to build up and convince myself to KICK when I am swimming.

I tweaked my shoulder last night! I felt fine leaving the pool and when I got home and was doing dishes out of the blue I got this pain along the top of my shoulder and along my trapezius. Pretty sharp, and has lasted since then. Last night I iced it, this AM took some ibuprofen. I'm so bummed. I had to skip my group HIIT workout with my coworkers this am. I wonder how long it will take to stop hurting?
  • AquaticQuests
    AquaticQuests Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    htimpaired wrote: »
    I haven't been posting every swim, but I am trying to aim for three days a week, minimum of 2000 yards each. I got a kickboard for my birthday last month so I work 50 kick in between each long set, so it works out to 200-400 kick each workout. I have a very weak kick, so I'm trying to build up and convince myself to KICK when I am swimming.

I tweaked my shoulder last night! I felt fine leaving the pool and when I got home and was doing dishes out of the blue I got this pain along the top of my shoulder and along my trapezius. Pretty sharp, and has lasted since then. Last night I iced it, this AM took some ibuprofen. I'm so bummed. I had to skip my group HIIT workout with my coworkers this am. I wonder how long it will take to stop hurting?

Still out with a flu but glad to see everyone swimming away!
    Best rest the shoulder and give time for the pain to subside.
    Look into the shoulder exercises that have been posted on here before, that help to prevent shoulder injury! Swimming can take a toll on the shoulders, and the preventative exercises are very important and vital for long term shoulder health!
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Another long set-- 3150y in ~82 minutes. Will be land locked until January 4th :-(
  • nuffer
    Options
    Tried my new fins last night. First set of 200 felt good and it was fun rocketing through the water. When I used them again later in the session, got a terrible cramp in one of my calves and had to give up and quit early. This was not like the cramps I've regularly dealt with, it was related to using the fins. I guess I need to gradually get used to them?

Today I got in for a long lunch session and didn't use the fins. 3300 yards at a good (for me) pace.
  • mpeters1965
    mpeters1965 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    nuffer wrote: »
    Tried my new fins last night. First set of 200 felt good and it was fun rocketing through the water. When I used them again later in the session, got a terrible cramp in one of my calves and had to give up and quit early. This was not like the cramps I've regularly dealt with, it was related to using the fins. I guess I need to gradually get used to them?

Today I got in for a long lunch session and didn't use the fins. 3300 yards at a good (for me) pace.

They definitely take some getting used to. There may be some folks who can just use them but I think most of us have an adjustment period. Good luck!
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    nuffer wrote: »
    got my Finis fins today, had to rush out and do a swim. I relished the feeling of swimming "so fast" on the first 300 but later when I tried another round, the calf cramps set in before I could finish 100 yards and I had to stop sooner than I wanted. I took the fins off and got a decent cardio workout for the evening. Any hints on using them are welcome.
    I get that once in a while. Usually when I am a bit dehydrated. I bring a quart of water with MIO FIT to prevent cramping.
  • fishgutzy
    Options
    7500 yards so far today. Planning another 70 laps after work to make it a 10km day.
  • AquaticQuests
    AquaticQuests Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    So yesterday was my first swim in a week, and my very first with the new Garmin :smile:

Having it on inspired me to keep going - the thought that it was tracking away, and I wanted to get some good stats for my first official garmin tracked swim :smiley:

I'll post something on that under a different thread.

2.5 km 52:13
  • fishgutzy
    Options
    Did get to add another 3500 yards last night. 10km plus a little bit for yesterday.
    4 miles today.
  • nuffer
    Options
    A few intervals last night, trying to bump up the pace. 2100 yards. First session with the fins (100y) was fine, then did a few 100y sprints (for me) and when I put the fins back on, had to stop before 25y due to foot/calf cramps. Pretty sure dehydration not an issue as I loaded up with water throughout the day and kept drinking during the swim. Also stretched at home before swimming and before putting the fins on. Going to stay out of the pool and do a brisk walk/jog this evening.