Did you swim today?

Options

Replies

• girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    I did swim. Not sure of distance. Probably about 45 min of actual swimming. I was having trouble staying afloat today...
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    Options
    3000m just under an hour pool time.

8 x 50 W/Up  2 x fr, 2 x fr pull, 2 x fr kick, 2 choice swim (15)

3 x 200 fr neg splits by 100.  30 rest after first 15 rest after second

6 x 50 fob/fof x 50 (20)

2 x 400 fr split as  4 x 100   10 sr rest after each 100 ..aim for under 1.25 per 100 60 rest after each lot of 4 x 100

4 x 75 br concentrate ok relaxed stroke and glide  (20)

1 x 300 choice warm down

• nuffer
    nuffer Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    nuffer wrote: »
    A nice rainy day at the pool with cool temps in the 40s (F). Started with some speed work and got my PR for 100y down by 30 (thirty) seconds. Was also going to try for two miles by calf/foot cramps put an end to my session and had to stop at 3250 yards in 78 minutes.

As an IT worker, I should have been suspicious. My Garmin Swim watch did not accurately record my last laps trying to deal with leg cramps and mis-reported my time. That said, I did make an improvement, but not nearly that dramatic.

Today I did not swim, did some very brisk walk/jogging instead for five miles.
  • mpeters1965
    mpeters1965 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Yep - About 50 minutes of mixed sets, including back stroke and breast stroke. I am going to a USMS stroke clinic at the end of January and while I plan to ignore butterfly, I figure I should be practicing those two enough so I can get some advice on them. I swim freestyle all the time.
  • mpeters1965
    Options
    A nice rainy day at the pool with cool temps in the 40s (F). Started with some speed work and got my PR for 100y down by 30 (thirty) seconds. Was also going to try for two miles by calf/foot cramps put an end to my session and had to stop at 3250 yards in 78 minutes.

Is your pool outside but heated?
  • aliciamariaq
    aliciamariaq Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    emmab0902 wrote: »
    2600m with hypoxic work

200 warmup

4X50 kick IMO

2X through the following
    100 free breathe on 3
    200 free breathe on 5
    300 free breathe alt 7/3 by 25
    Hold 1.30 pace or better throughout.

3X (4X50 IMO) 10s between 50s

400 warmdown

Nice. I should try that breathing technique set, although not at that pace. I am terrible at breathing on my left side.

Wouldn't recommend it. There isn't much evidence that limiting breathing has any benefit other than stroke correction. It doesn't help much with fitness. I ended up with a bad headache a few hours later probably too much CO2 in the blood!

Yes, exactly, I would use it for stroke correction. I can feel it deteriorating after very long distances and I can just feel an imbalance. I am assuming if I breathed every 3 on a long distance this wouldn't happen as much. A drill breathing every 5 and 7 helps you focus, but it would be tough if you have to add in speed as well (ie holding a 1:30 pace for a longish set)
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    The pools control system has been erratic since the boiler failure last week. Very hot today. After 10 laps I had to slow down as I was just to hot. Dropped into a long slow Breast Stroke. 1000m 250 Fr/500 br/250 Fr.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    The pools control system has been erratic since the boiler failure last week. Very hot today. After 10 laps I had to slow down as I was just to hot. Dropped into a long slow Breast Stroke. 1000m 250 Fr/500 br/250 Fr.

I'd almost have the water too cold than 200 hot. Swimming in hot water makes me feel like a boiling frog!
  • rosebarnalice
    Options
    1.5 miles ~72 minutes
  • nuffer
    Options
    A nice rainy day at the pool with cool temps in the 40s (F).

Yes, heated outdoor pool at a neighborhood/private club. A couple of high schools and a youth swim club use it all winter long, and lap swim is offered three times daily during the week and once a day on weekends.
  • dlmciver
    dlmciver Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Swam with mew playlist with more sprinting BPM shuffled in. Had some moments when the synergy of music and movement was incredible !! Have had three lap lanes to myself ! I can feel those New Year's resolution swimmers looking for their suits !
  • rosebarnalice
    edited December 2015
    Options
    1.5 miles ~ 72 minutes.

Today's Highlight:

There are two young men with severe autism and a young woman with Down syndrome who come in about once a week while I'm swimming. Although I'm usually doing my own thing and don't pay much attention to them, I have noticed that even when other lanes are available, they will usually get in the lanes near me (the boys often share a lane, but the woman likes her own).

Today, as I was getting out of the pool the woman who drives them to the pool stopped me and told me why:

Turns out, they call me Pink Ears (because I wear bright pink ear plugs). The boys like to swim next to me because they like to try to race me. The woman likes to be next to me because she likes to watch me under water as she swims because I "make her feel like she's swimming with a mermaid."

Made my day!
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    4 Miles. Took some mental effort to push past the muscle fatigue. What takes longer to recover after the China trips is next day endurance and speed. Pace is not as fast as it was before the trip. But that always happens.
    Could not have done a sprint lap if my life depended on it today. :D
    Did a spin class last night for an extra shake up.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    dlmciver wrote: »
    I can feel those New Year's resolution swimmers looking for their suits !

Ha! Every January. Luckily for me, not many of the resolutioners want to get up early enough to swim at 5AM :D
  • mpeters1965
    Options
    1.5 miles ~ 72 minutes.

Made my day!

It would have made mine, too. That's fantastic, Pink Ears! :smiley:
  • mpeters1965
    Options
    A nice rainy day at the pool with cool temps in the 40s (F).

Yes, heated outdoor pool at a neighborhood/private club. A couple of high schools and a youth swim club use it all winter long, and lap swim is offered three times daily during the week and once a day on weekends.

I'm jealous. I live in Florida, for heavens sake, and we still end up moving to the smaller indoor pool every November because the outside pool isn't heated. The air temps are almost never too cold to swim here if the water was warmer.
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    Options
    2500m quite challenging today!

200 alt free/back

200 alt br/free

2X
    4X50 IMO
    8X25 kick alt back/free
    150 free sprint middle 50

4X100 IM on 2.00

8X50 pull on 50

200 warmdown

• matthew_b
    matthew_b Posts: 137 Member
    Options

Wouldn't recommend it. There isn't much evidence that limiting breathing has any benefit other than stroke correction. It doesn't help much with fitness. I ended up with a bad headache a few hours later probably too much CO2 in the blood!

I hadn't put that thought together myself! I bet I'm doing that to myself. I can't get my heart-rate up when swimming. I've heard that some people are that way; I'm swimming hard and I am really having to control my breathing (suppressing the urge to breathe more) and I'm only getting into the 110-130 BPM range.

Several times now I've gotten headaches after swimming.
  • matthew_b
    matthew_b Posts: 137 Member
    Options

I'm jealous. I live in Florida, for heavens sake, and we still end up moving to the smaller indoor pool every November because the outside pool isn't heated. The air temps are almost never too cold to swim here if the water was warmer. [/quote]

Our old pool city pool was outdoor and heated. The real downside was that the locker rooms weren't heated. You got out of the pool, ran to the shower and then dreaded the trip from the shower to locker to change. Most of the time I don't miss it. On those 80° days I do though.
  • nuffer
    Options
    We are having some pretty heavy rains in the Seattle area. My swim tonight (only one other person in the pool) was a little distracting due to the big cold drops falling on my back. But it's great for not getting overheated. 2600 yards in an hour, not feeling like pushing it too much and no bilateral breathing. I know I have to work on that but watching the pool overflow is my (weak) excuse. I enjoyed the slightly cooler temps in the water after the first couple of laps.