Did you swim today?

Options

Replies

• emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    Options
    matthew_b wrote: »
    emmab0902 wrote: »

Wouldn't recommend it. There isn't much evidence that limiting breathing has any benefit other than stroke correction. It doesn't help much with fitness. I ended up with a bad headache a few hours later probably too much CO2 in the blood!

I hadn't put that thought together myself! I bet I'm doing that to myself. I can't get my heart-rate up when swimming. I've heard that some people are that way; I'm swimming hard and I am really having to control my breathing (suppressing the urge to breathe more) and I'm only getting into the 110-130 BPM range.

Several times now I've gotten headaches after swimming.

@matthew_b do you do any sprint work in your sessions? That's the only time mine gets over about 120.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    1.5 miles ~72 minutes
  • matthew_b
    matthew_b Posts: 137 Member
    Options

Wouldn't recommend it. There isn't much evidence that limiting breathing has any benefit other than stroke correction. It doesn't help much with fitness. I ended up with a bad headache a few hours later probably too much CO2 in the blood!

I hadn't put that thought together myself! I bet I'm doing that to myself. I can't get my heart-rate up when swimming. I've heard that some people are that way; I'm swimming hard and I am really having to control my breathing (suppressing the urge to breathe more) and I'm only getting into the 110-130 BPM range.

@matthew_b do you do any sprint work in your sessions? That's the only time mine gets over about 120.

Sometimes. I wasn't working out for a while and I'm getting back into it for the last month. Right now I'm mainly focusing on getting to where I can go for a mile and not feel like I'm dying by the end. Once that happens I'll start back into some sprints.
  • nuffer
    nuffer Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I took today off as a work day from home. That really means I can get in the pool for a longer lap swim at noon. 3000 yards in a time I'm happy with. But what is amusing (to me) is the guy who must be training for a triathalon or the like who is constantly putting on fins or taking them off or otherwise futzing with various floats or fins or kickboards.

Without the gear, he is very fast, compared to me and most others I see in the pool. I'm mostly mystified by what all the extra equipment is doing for him, though. What are fins actually accomplishing? I'd ask him but he is really focused and does not pause for casual conversation. He also has a unique swimming style that looks slow but is really effective. Our schedules don't seem to match up so I'm asking here.
  • mpeters1965
    mpeters1965 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I did. About 50 minutes or so, mixed strokes. I woke up grumpy and fuzz-brained and stayed that way so I didn't really give it my best effort. It was one of those mornings where I take credit for just swimming.

Nuffer, I don't like to switch gear a lot during a workout but I seldom just swim a single long distance, either. I have done a lot of reading on interval training rather than long distance swimming for training just because I was curious about it. Is it more that you are wondering about the fins in particular or why he switches from thing to thing rather than just swimming a straight set? Fins are great for kick correction, especially for runners who tend to have bad ankle flexibility. And interval training in general is good for swimmers because the added rest and recovery allows the swimmer to maintain proper stroke technique and form by remaining fresh throughout the set.

If I answered the wrong question, just put it down to my fuzz brain. :smile:
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    The common wisdom now, nuffer, is that interval training, switching things up and doing drills is what is going to get you faster. If you were a swimmer pre 1970 or so, you might have been going on volume alone as a training technique, but that has long since left in favor of the intervals and drills.

That said, I loves me some LSD (Long, Slow Distance). It's a crap way to train and I know it, but oh getting into that timeless feeling of flow when I'm swimming is so lovely I don't suck it up and train properly.

(I've swum Mon-today this week, but haven't commented)
  • nuffer
    Options
    Thanks for the info. I think I'd find all the gear distracting but clearly this guy has a plan, and like I said, he's quite fast. I did not consider fins to be a way to improve kick. I would have just gone for a kickboard without fins. Same thing with the float -- just don't kick. In the summer there were a couple of women who'd do fins+kickboard for endless laps. I guess they were avoiding shoulder or arm issues?

I have been concentrating on distance since I started last March, but this is not the first time intervals have been mentioned as the way to improve. I really like turning my brain off for an hour so maybe just do the distance once a week. My watch keeps much better track of laps than I do!

No pool time today.
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    Options
    2500m

6X400 with 30s rest as
    400 free
    400 IM
    200 back/200 br
    400 kick
    400 IM
    400 free under 6.00
    100 warmdown

Really happy with my police officer friend who I've been writing sessions for. On 21st November he did 5X100 on 4.00 and his average was 2.12. Not even three weeks later he can do 5X100 with 30s LESS rest with an average of 1.52. That's 20 seconds faster with less rest!!! :smiley:
  • mpeters1965
    mpeters1965 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I need you coaching me, Emma! I think my fastest 100 ever is probably a 1:52.

nuffer - When I wrecked my car a few months ago and my chest was badly bruised, kickboard and fins were what I did. I did some kick sets without fins, too, but I sure like zooming along with them. :smile: I did used to swim with this one old lady who only swam with kickboard and fins and I honestly think she did it so she wouldn't get her hair wet, although I never asked.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    4 miles yesterday. 5 miles today.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    1700m - cut the swim a little short due to Heat, The pool was at 30C ( 86F ) . Hot Tub at 38C ( 100.5F ).
    100m Fr kick
    100m Back
    100m Breast
    4x100m @ 60s-15s rest
    1000m slow Fr Crawl - working on rotation and long Hydro-Dynamic body with 2 members of the local Running-Triathlon Club. We have a good idea of some of our weak points ( Drop my Left Wrist on recovery and Left side Breathing is Clumsy ) so we get our friends to do the deck walk beside the lane as we do a length and get feedback from them.
    Wanted to do more Sprint Drills, Kick Drills and Breast Stroke but the heat just sucked the energy out of us.
  • nuffer
    Options
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    1700m - cut the swim a little short due to Heat, The pool was at 30C ( 86F ) . Hot Tub at 38C ( 100.5F ).

Wanted to do more Sprint Drills, Kick Drills and Breast Stroke but the heat just sucked the energy out of us.
    Wow, that is really too warm. Is it a community pool? I thought our club pool was too warm but that is way too hot for a workout.
  • aliciamariaq
    aliciamariaq Posts: 272 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    nuffer wrote: »
    Thanks for the info. I think I'd find all the gear distracting but clearly this guy has a plan, and like I said, he's quite fast. I did not consider fins to be a way to improve kick. I would have just gone for a kickboard without fins. Same thing with the float -- just don't kick. In the summer there were a couple of women who'd do fins+kickboard for endless laps. I guess they were avoiding shoulder or arm issues?

I have been concentrating on distance since I started last March, but this is not the first time intervals have been mentioned as the way to improve. I really like turning my brain off for an hour so maybe just do the distance once a week. My watch keeps much better track of laps than I do!

No pool time today.

Using fins is a great training technique with a lot of benefits in terms of technique and strength. Actually we also sometimes use them for stroke technique because it allows you to concentrate on your arms and not worry about your body position. Obviously you can overuse fins and there must be a threshold as to when it is beneficial.

Also the type of fin you use makes a huge difference. The tendency now is for shorter fins. The wrong length or shape can really make your feet and calves cramp up.

Here is a pretty good article if you are interested.
    http://www.forcefin.com/wp_truths.html
    It is written by the maker of the fins so there is a bit of a plug for the product, but still some valid points.
  • aliciamariaq
    aliciamariaq Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    2500m

Really happy with my police officer friend who I've been writing sessions for. On 21st November he did 5X100 on 4.00 and his average was 2.12. Not even three weeks later he can do 5X100 with 30s LESS rest with an average of 1.52. That's 20 seconds faster with less rest!!! :smiley:

Fantastic results!
  • fishgutzy
    Options
    4 miles today.
    As part of my China recovery I have changed up just a little. Instead doing two 2000, then the 500 each kickboard and 500 pads and pull buoy, 2050,
    The last few days I have been doing
    1000, stretch shoulders
    1000, stretch shoulders
    2000, Stretch Shoulders
    500 kick board/fins
    500 Pads and Pull Buoy
    That seems to help ease the muscle fatigue while I work to get back to where I was.
  • fishgutzy
    Options

86 is not "hot." :D It was the normal temperature at the Y I used to go to. To me it didn't feel hot until 88. But I still did a 5k swim. They have one pool tythat is used for everything including old folks aquafit classes. They complain if the water gets "down to 84."
    In China it was over 90.
    The Y we belong to now has a separate pool for aqua fit classes that is kept at 88-90 and the lap pool that is around than 78. Much better for laps than 86.

• AquaticQuests
    AquaticQuests Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    1.5 miles ~ 72 minutes.

Today's Highlight:

Turns out, they call me Pink Ears (because I wear bright pink ear plugs). The boys like to swim next to me because they like to try to race me. The woman likes to be next to me because she likes to watch me under water as she swims because I "make her feel like she's swimming with a mermaid."

Made my day!

Wow! Great encouragement!!!

I have a phobia for hypoxia training because whenever I go that route, I feel as if bad things happen, and I've read with age, it may not be a good idea!
    Then again, perhaps with proper coaching and someone realign watching the heart rates, etc, it may be more realistic for me.
    I personally steer clear of it, and especially after Reading articles like these:
    (Oops, can't find the articles but will post them when I do)!

2500m

6X400 with 30s rest as
    400 free
    400 IM
    200 back/200 br
    400 kick
    400 IM
    400 free under 6.00
    100 warmdown

That's fantastic progress by your student Emma! Stellar!
    fishgutzy wrote: »
    4 miles yesterday. 5 miles today.
    I see your back to your crazy distances :smile:
    We have a good idea of some of our weak points ( Drop my Left Wrist on recovery and Left side Breathing is Clumsy ) so we get our friends to do the deck walk beside the lane as we do a length and get feedback from them.
    I've realised the past week that I have been dropping my left hand wrist as it enters the water, so been working on that too!
    nuffer wrote: »

No pool time today.

Using fins is a great training technique with a lot of benefits in terms of technique and strength. Actually we also sometimes use them for stroke technique because it allows you to concentrate on your arms and not worry about your body position. Obviously you can overuse fins and there must be a threshold as to when it is beneficial.

Also the type of fin you use makes a huge difference. The tendency now is for shorter fins. The wrong length or shape can really make your feet and calves cramp up.

Here is a pretty good article if you are interested.
    http://www.forcefin.com/wp_truths.html
    It is written by the maker of the fins so there is a bit of a plug for the product, but still some valid points.

I need to return to intervals myself. Perhaps from January.
    Good info on fins :smile:

• AquaticQuests
    AquaticQuests Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Think I'm battling some infection or something so I'm not quite myself.
    Yesterday, 2.5km 58 min
    Today, 1.25km 36 min
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    2700 in ~72 min. Got to the pool 4X this week, for a total of 6 miles!
  • Bruceapple
    Bruceapple Posts: 2,026 Member
    Options
    Yes, completed 0.75 miles (1350 YD) @ 55 min