Need to eat nothing prepared!!!

Options
2»

Replies

• cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    kirkor wrote: »
    14 replies and no one mentioned sardines?!?!?!

king-oscar-sardines-in-olive-oil.jpg

I always thought these looked and sounded gross. Then when diagnosed with T2 and heard these wee a good food option, I figured I should at least give them a try. Turns out they are good. Just avoid the ones in soybean oil. Soybean oil is not good for you. Best with olive oil. Mustard sauce is also good.
  • RisiM
    RisiM Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    If we're discussing tinned fish, mackerel is much more 'meaty', less bones than sardines too. Salmon preferably red, if you still have money after Christmas.
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    A lot of people suggest nuts - careful, the carbs and calories add up REAL quick.

The bottom drawer in my fridge contains the following:

Individual tubs (40g) of cream cheese
    Pate pods (50g)
    Deli meats in individual 100g packs (check labels to make sure they don't contain too many carbs)
    Olives
    Cheese stringers
    Tins of smoked oysters
    Tins of salmon or chicken (again check labels)
    Celery
    Tomato
    Cucumber
    Parmesan cheese
    Camembert

In addition to this sometimes I'll cook some chicken (or be lazy and buy a bbq chicken to pull apart and put in a container) and some boiled eggs.

I am never caught out, and I can always make something to eat that fits within my macros.

• williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    kirkor wrote: »
    14 replies and no one mentioned sardines?!?!?!

king-oscar-sardines-in-olive-oil.jpg

Yass! These exact ones (King Oscar, smoked sardines in olive oil). I keep a stack in the pantry at all times. Smoked oysters are good, too, but an aquired taste/texture. I also keep shelf stable pepperoni packs and beef jerky in my purse. Always prepared!! B)
  • neohdiver
    neohdiver Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    A lot of people suggest nuts - careful, the carbs and calories add up REAL quick.

Calories - yes, carbs - not so much. A cup of walnuts has a grand total of 6-8 net carbs. Compared to tomatoes, the calories in tomatoes and cucumbers are a significantly lower, but a cup of tomatoes has about 5 net carbs and a cup of cucumber has about 4.

• canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Yep, if you are picking nuts choose the fattier ones... walnuts, macadamias, pecans. Try not to choose cashews, almonds, or peanuts (I know those last ones are legumes, but many people w/o allergies use them as nuts). I've had a can of sardines in my cupboard for 34 years and never opened them. They just look nasty to me and I'm not a fan of crunchy bones in my fish (I clean out my canned salmon too). I have the can 'in case of emergency.'
    No comment please :D

I do like anchovies, but unless you are squeezing a tube of anchovy paste into your mouth....nah, that won't happen.
    Mini ziptop cans of tuna in olive oil are really yummy - I use those fairly often. They are tasty topped with a packet of TrueLemon, and pepper.
    Hardboiled eggs in their shells easily last a week in the fridge. I boil up 8 or 10 and stick them in a bowl on the bottom shelf to grab when I need them.