What is up with this trend I'm seeing???

Options
1235»

Replies

• RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »
    One time since I started, I had some fried dough that comes around once a year for the Italian festival in my hometown- then hopped right back in and haven't been off since. One item for one meal.)

Benign traditions shouldn't die of neglect, as long as they only produce 1x/year habits.

Does the stuff have an Italian name?

Actually, some benign traditions should be deliberately executed. If you visit our part of the world during Mardi Gras, you will probably be invited to sample a "Moon Pie." Do not do this. It is 80 gazillion carbs with all the taste and appeal of blotting paper stuffed with library paste. To me, at least; other people are willing to trample three old ladies and a toddler to catch one as it's thrown from a parade float.

You need to be writing for SNL.
  • Lillith32
    Lillith32 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I think carb re-feeds are a body building and strength sport thing. There are a bunch of books predicated on this method. The idea seems to be that getting carbs at certain special times has a positive impact on muscle strength and growth, which is a bit broscienc-y to me (on one hand, studies might support that, but on the other hand, I think it might be nearly impossible to figure out the correct dose and timing). Now... if it works for specialized athletes... I won't argue with results. But for me and people in general who are just starting out and/or not trying to become strength athletes it might not be the best method, as it induces cravings and just crappy feeling in general (I tried it to help with gym performance... not so much).
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Lillith32 wrote: »
    I think carb re-feeds are a body building and strength sport thing. There are a bunch of books predicated on this method. The idea seems to be that getting carbs at certain special times has a positive impact on muscle strength and growth, which is a bit broscienc-y to me (on one hand, studies might support that, but on the other hand, I think it might be nearly impossible to figure out the correct dose and timing). Now... if it works for specialized athletes... I won't argue with results. But for me and people in general who are just starting out and/or not trying to become strength athletes it might not be the best method, as it induces cravings and just crappy feeling in general (I tried it to help with gym performance... not so much).

It's not even about timing. It's about the following:

A: insulin is anabolic as hell. Don't believe me? Compare modern Mr. Olympias who inject insulin along with their steroids to the guys in the 80s and 90s who just used AAS. It's not even a comparison.

B: training intensity goes to hell in the total absence of carbs. I haven't come across a single record holding powerlifter who set their record while SKD. The closest was Jamie Lewis who ran CKD (weekly carb refeeds). Late converts don't count. It's like a guy going 20 years getting jacked on ground beef, setting a record, then going vegan, and that community trying to be like "seeee? You can get teh uberstrong on beans and carrots".

C: protein and carbs together provide a larger insulin spike (and therefore higher anabolism) than protein or carbs alone.

D: low-fat is stupid too, as saturated fats tend to improve free testosterone levels, but only up to a certain point. After that, you're essentially just fuelling calorie burn.

As we are finding more and more, in the world of strength, the body performs best with a balance of all three. Spare me the ketogains rhetoric. Those guys are doing fine for what they are doing, and yeah, most of them are either TKD or CKD. All of the SKD guys are the ones whining that they can't seem to get anything but fatter when they try to bulk.

Sorry if this seemed harsh, but it keeps getting prodded at in weird ways by people who have little to no experience in strength sports.
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Lillith32 wrote: »

It's not even about timing. It's about the following:

A: insulin is anabolic as hell. Don't believe me? Compare modern Mr. Olympias who inject insulin along with their steroids to the guys in the 80s and 90s who just used AAS. It's not even a comparison.

B: training intensity goes to hell in the total absence of carbs. I haven't come across a single record holding powerlifter who set their record while SKD. The closest was Jamie Lewis who ran CKD (weekly carb refeeds). Late converts don't count. It's like a guy going 20 years getting jacked on ground beef, setting a record, then going vegan, and that community trying to be like "seeee? You can get teh uberstrong on beans and carrots".

C: protein and carbs together provide a larger insulin spike (and therefore higher anabolism) than protein or carbs alone.

D: low-fat is stupid too, as saturated fats tend to improve free testosterone levels, but only up to a certain point. After that, you're essentially just fuelling calorie burn.

As we are finding more and more, in the world of strength, the body performs best with a balance of all three. Spare me the ketogains rhetoric. Those guys are doing fine for what they are doing, and yeah, most of them are either TKD or CKD. All of the SKD guys are the ones whining that they can't seem to get anything but fatter when they try to bulk.

Sorry if this seemed harsh, but it keeps getting prodded at in weird ways by people who have little to no experience in strength sports.

Some low-carbers have had success using UCAN super starch, an ultra slow-release carb that does not spike insulin much at all to stock up their glycogen without having an insulin spike. They have been able to do well in extreme endurance events (>2-hrs) without bonking because they can draw on fat whereas the people eating carbs (a neccesity for long endurance events due to limited glycogen storage capability of the body) can't access the fat due to high insulin levels associated with carb supplimentation. You need carbs for high intensity work for sure (can be metabolized in an anaerobic state).