Options
    4 miles the last few days.
    Same set.
    Today my time was a little better.
    3000 (55 minutes)
    500 kick board and fins
    500 pull buoy and pads
    3050 (55 minutes)
    Total time in the pool, including stops for equipment changes: 2 hours 10 minutes.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    50 minutes before class. The pool was empty when I arrived (swim team was in the rec room having a meeting), and by the time I got to the middle of my workout, we had 5 in the lane. It worked pretty well for me as most of the swimmers were my pace or a little faster, but it sure speeds me up. When class started, I was pretty pooped out, so I did what I could and stuck with it.

Some great workouts and times here, peeps. I love the variety of skill and experience here. And the common ground is goals and enthusiasm! I'm pretty sure I would not have stuck with this without you guys.
  • Montepulciano
    Montepulciano Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    4000 yards @ 75 minutes. PB 200 pull @ 2:58.
  • AquaticQuests
    AquaticQuests Posts: 945 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Greetings folks!
    I've been out for months. Other than a week or two off I've been swimming pretty much without any break until sometime last year I was out for months.
    So back at it this year despite some problems with gout and back issues and have gradually worked my way back to a daily 2.5km swim
    emmab0902 wrote: »
    Omg!!!! Ten days out of the pool equals total loss of feel for the water and fitness.

1500m of demoralisation!

Going home to Google emergency fitness plans lol.

Lol imagine what it feels like after months out of it!

Great to see everyone on here still swimming away.
    I'm back :smile:

• Montepulciano
    Options
    Welcome back AquaticQuests...that is the thing, the pool is almost always there for you.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    @AquaticQuests Welcome back, I was wondering what had happened. Take care of the back and gout.

Adult Swim Club. Replacement Instructor as the normal Instructor(s) are studying for First Semester Final Exams ( Grade 10/11 in High School ) 1690m

200m Warm-up; 50 Fr, 50 Br, 50 Kick, 50 Choice
    4 minute timed swim. Managed 190m Just a tad under 8 lengths.
    2 x 50m Pull 10s RI
    2 x 50m Kick 10s RI
    2 x 50m Swim
    400m Ladder 25, 50, 75, 100, 75, 50, 25. 10s RI on 25/50; 15s RI on 75/100
    2 x 50m Back, Breast, Front.
    Relay 4 x 50m
    Cool down 100m Choice
  • Montepulciano
    Options
    4000 @ 75 minutes. Amazing how having someone significantly faster in the lane next to you is a motivator. Really strong workout to finish the week.
  • AquaticQuests
    AquaticQuests Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    2.5 km in a 50 metre pool!
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    Noon Hour Splash and Dash.
    1200m
    Started with a 750m Tri-Athlon Time Trial Swim. 18:14. This seems to be my Avg training/time trial pace as I have 4 swims all within a 10 second range.

Finished it off with 450m of drills; 3 x 50m, Pull, Kick and Distance per stroke.

One of the people taking Learn To Swim adjacent to our Adult Swim Club was in the pool working on his Breathing and Front Crawl technique. He seen me and another fellow doing the pull drill and asked for some guidance.

We both came up with the same general comments
    slow down your stroke- he was thrashing the water ( I remember doing the same thing )
    enjoy the free glide at the end of the stroke
    exhale slowly and roll your body slightly as you roll your head for the inhale
    Don't lift the head up out of the water, roll it.
    Opposite hand/arm helps support the body and keep you from sinking while inhaling.
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    Options
    Only 1600m today

400 free

200 kick

10x 50 free on 60
    (38 39 38 38 37 37 37 38 38 36)

200 kick

200IM

100 warmdown

Found out that my iron stores are almost zero!! Which hopefully explains the severe lack of energy and major drop off in speed and stamina in the pool.
  • OSUbuckeye906
    OSUbuckeye906 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I just now saw that @juliet3455 mentioned me earlier this month in this thread to come over and join in. I'm a runner but currently have a stress injury, so I am getting my cardio in by other means, including swimming several times a week (as well as aqua jogging). I was a swimmer on the swim team all through my childhood and into high school, so swimming is very natural to me but I'm definitely a lot slower after all those years off. Doesn't help my self esteem that most of the time, I'm swimming laps next to various swim teams ;) Anyway, I may try to post my workouts several times a week and hope to swim at least once a week as a cross-training day when I return to running. Today I did a combination of aqua jogging and lap swimming.

Aqua jogging (32 mins):
    Ladder workout of 5 mins warm up, intervals of 1, 2, 3, 4, 3, 2, and 1 mins at "hard/fast" pace with 1 min "easy/recovery" pace between each interval, 5 mins cool down

Lap swimming (32 mins):
    10 x 100 yards alternating freestyle (moderate pace) and breast stroke (recovery pace)
    150 yards freestyle (fast)
    100 yards breast stroke (moderate)
    150 yards freestyle (cool down/slow)

Total: 1400 yards
  • Montepulciano
    Options
    @emmab0902 - Glad you found out what was causing it.

Welcome @OSUbuckeye906! Nice workout.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    AQ!!!! Welcom back!!!!
    I had the crappiest swim in MONTHS. Really. Wow. Crap upon crap. Heavy hips, heavy heet. Blech. Stick with it for 45 min. It's all I could give it. It's the end of the week... bluh...
  • Roaringgael
    Roaringgael Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Celebrating 3 years of regular swimming, summer, winter etc.
  • Montepulciano
    Options
    @Roarkinggael - Well done!
  • OSUbuckeye906
    OSUbuckeye906 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Another combination of aqua jogging and lap swimming today, as will probably be the normal routine for awhile. Both were speed interval workouts.

Aqua jogging:
    4:30 min warm up
    5 x 1:30 hard pace, 0:30 recovery
    2 min recovery
    5 x 1:30 hard pace, 0:30 recovery
    4 min cool down

Lap swimming:
    7 x 100 yd hard free, 100 yd breast recovery
    Total 1400 yards

My first free interval was a time trial to see how fast I could go. First 50 was in 0:41 and second 50 was in 0:45 for a total of 1:26. The rest of the speed intervals were more of a moderate/fast pace at ~1:40.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    5 miles this morning.
    2x3000
    1x2800
    About a 10 second pause for electrolyte sips between sets.
  • Montepulciano
    Options
    @fishgutzy Wow...big workout! Well done!
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    @fishgutzy Wow...big workout! Well done!

First time I did 5 miles before work :D
  • Montepulciano
    Options
    4500 yards @ 80 minutes. My warm down was less of that and more a hurry and get out for the age groupers want your lane. It was good though.