Did you swim today?

Replies

• NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    I'm so glad to see others reveling in their slow-ocity :heart:
    I need to actually time my distance, but I was thinking yesterday as I did 1800 how loooong it took me. I was thinking, of your blog, Noel: "Slower than Christmas" and I thought as I was swimming that my blog would be called "Slower than Noel" :blush:

Okay, that cracked me up! You should time yourself, though. You're probably faster than you think.

Anyone who joins the US Masters still has time to do the hour-long Postal swim. I only managed 2200 last year, and I was close to the bottom for my age group. Maybe we should all join and try it Saturday morning. You'd just need someone to fill out the chart. Pick someone with a high boredom tolerance!
  • mpeters1965
    mpeters1965 Posts: 370 Member
    I did swim today, after a week off. I only swim Tues/Thurs at this time of year and the pool pump was on the fritz last Thursday morning. I swam for about 45 minutes, with mixed sets, working a bit more on back/breast strokes. I'm going to a US Masters stroke clinic this Sunday and am really looking forward to it!

I haven't done the 1 hour postal but I think I swim about 2,300 yards in an hour, so I embrace my turtle-ness, too, or am happy being a moderately paced mermaid or faster than a rock. Slower than Christmas, faster than Noel, slower than him, even with her. They are all fine with me. With Masters, I think the saying goes "He who slows the slowest wins" or something like that.

AQ - I saw your comments about being out of breath after tumble turns. I'm finding the more I do them, the less that is a problem so keep up the good work and I bet it will get better. I also find that it is becoming just as natural to do a flip turn as an open turn. I still can't do them worth a damn if I am using a pull bouy though.

Sorry about your finger Emma. I sprained mine about 18 months ago and swimming was a trial for a while. I kept whacking it on the lane lines or on the side of the pool.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Did 4 miles in the morning (141 laps)
    Went back for more after work. 79 more. To make 10km plus an extra. Can't do just 219 laps. :dizzy:
  • 60sPanda
    60sPanda Posts: 303 Member
    Nice swim this morning - 2km in 40 mins and 5 seconds - quite happy with that. Finished with 500m mixed strokes (no fly). Reading about the tumble turns makes me think I should stop being lazy and start incorporating them more into my swims..... sounds exhausting though.
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    1350 35:12
  • fishgutzy
    4 miles eye opener.
  • gentlygently
    gentlygently Posts: 752 Member
    Er - something like 42 mins (but i forgot what time i got in the pool) and something like 1100/1200m (but i lost count).

So the toothache is getting better and the body is going faster but the brain sure as heck is still sinking.

Indeed Some nice lady guarded my handbag for me when i fogot my locker was unlocked whilst I showered....

Next week body and brain up to scratch I hope!

(Ps tumble turns - mmm are't those the things that get chlorine up your nose, stop you having a long deep breath and er stop you gliding to the edge when you are out of form?! It is really hard to see the attraction...but jeepers i admire those who do them!)
  • fishgutzy
    Tumble turn is a flip turn. Not ready to try it yet. Need padded boots if I wish to do learn.
  • mpeters1965

(Ps tumble turns - mmm are't those the things that get chlorine up your nose, stop you having a long deep breath and er stop you gliding to the edge when you are out of form?! It is really hard to see the attraction...but jeepers i admire those who do them!)

That's exactly what they are, gently! At least at first (and still occasionally with the chlorine up the nose) anyway. I learned them just to learn something new and to gather admiration from other swimmers, because they are not going to admire my fantastic form (swimming or body).
    :wink:

Breathing is a crutch! Who needs it anyway!
  • matthew_b
    matthew_b Posts: 137 Member
    I never really had a problem with water up my nose doing freestyle. I just exhale out my nose hard when I'm upside down. The hardest thing for me to learn was not slamming into the bottom of the pool at the shallow end. (I swim in a pool with a 3'3" shallow end.) I lost a lot of elbow skin until I got better.

I never have learned to do a backstroke flip without water going up my nose. I have to wear a nose clip to do backstroke flips.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    This 1.5 mile day this week, and the pool water is GREAT. The showers, hoever, are back to frigid. Grrrrr. Did the face and hair, but decided to just keep the chlorine film on the rest of my body.
  • nuffer
    nuffer Posts: 402 Member
    Got talked into doing some kickboard drills last night. Kicked my butt, literally, without fins. I haven't done those since I was on swim team about 40 years ago. Clearly I need to put in a lot more work with the board. I think when I started swimming again last March I used my legs as little as possible to reduce cramping. 2150 yards, miserable pace.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,281 Member
    What kinds of drills, nuffer? I have an extraordinarily weak kick (hence my work on a two beat kick-if it's not going to be often, let's make it strong) so I always add in some kick sets, but I am a new swimmer, so no swim team knowledge base here. I do a Superman kick with the board on my stomach, I do msJ's back kick drill (no board), and an occasional butterfly kick with a board. Is there more? I don't usually do kick drills with my fins.
  • mpeters1965
    I swam this morning with a very similar swim to Tuesday (about 45 minutes of mixed sets) except today I had to share a lane starting right after my warmup. I don't know if I'll ever be comfortable enough to do flip turns with someone else in the lane unless I know exactly where they are and that they aren't close, so I just stopped them and went back to open turns. It was still a decent swim though. No complaints.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited January 2016
    Last day of Swim Lessons in this set: The end of set exam.
    10mins all out, Front Crawl ( 900 m ) - 2 min rest
    10mins all out Backstroke ( 500m ) - 2 mins rest
    10 mins all out Breast stroke ( 700m )
    I suck at backstroke !!!. Then we got to play with Dolphin kick and Diving into the pool- did a beautiful Belly Flop B) . Not that I wanted to.

@nuffer I feel your pain on Kickboard. My Front Crawl Kick is a disaster and I always get toe cramps when using fins.
    @AquaticQuests Great job on the Flip Turns - I can only do them in deeper water ( 4ft ) anything less and I am face planting on the bottom.
    @fishgutzy MegaMiler Great work Sir.
  • PulpFaction
    PulpFaction Posts: 15 Member
    Hi All! I'm a newbie here but thought I would post my swim as a way to keep motivated :smiley: I swam competitively about 12 years ago but haven't been in the pool much since a bad shoulder injury. Today I checked out an outdoor salt water pool for the first time. It was cold and rainy but the pool was warm enough! Incentive to keep on swimming I guess.

I swam 1050m, and included a set of 4x50m on 60s turnaround. My aim is to get in the pool twice a week and increase distance by 50m each time, and hopefully start to get some speed increases in the 50m set as it was pretty abysmal.

Where does everyone get their inspiration from for swim sets?
  • nuffer
    nuffer Posts: 402 Member
    What kinds of drills, nuffer? I have an extraordinarily weak kick (hence my work on a two beat kick-if it's not going to be often, let's make it strong) so I always add in some kick sets, but I am a new swimmer, so no swim team knowledge base here. I do a Superman kick with the board on my stomach, I do msJ's back kick drill (no board), and an occasional butterfly kick with a board. Is there more? I don't usually do kick drills with my fins.

I've forgotten much more than I remember. For now I'm just doing a crawl kick. Don't have any sort of beat figured out yet.

Last night I did an early set of 100 with fins, then got into a little bit of a "race" with the guy in the next lane who has always tried to pass and lap me. I ended up being able to stay ahead of him. 2700 in under an hour.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,281 Member
    I got 1000y in before a class this morning. There were three laps lanes, but two were supposed to close within about 5 min, so I got into the lane that would stay open where two other people were already swimming. It was the fast lane. Holy smokes. I know I'm slow, but circle swimming with the speedy fishes really ramps your heart. They were doing timed sets, so I let them know that if they saw my legs in a corner, just keep going. And they did. It was a really tough swim for me, but probably a good one to do to keep pushing. They were great sports about sharing with a slow newbie too :)
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member

From the swim instructor in the Local pool, Swimmers in this group such as @emmab0902, @aliciamariaq and many other great role models. Always check out YouTube Videos of swimming techniques.
  • aliciamariaq
    aliciamariaq Posts: 272 Member
    edited January 2016
    juliet3455 wrote: »

From the swim instructor in the Local pool, Swimmers in this group such as @emmab0902, @aliciamariaq and many other great role models. Always check out YouTube Videos of swimming techniques.

Thanks @juliet3455 ! Right back at you! Lots of people in this group keep me motivated like AQ, emmab, stephenhinton, well really all of you who just keep at it no matter what and keep trying to get better!

@PulpFaction Congratulations getting back in the water! Not a bad start, 4x50 on 60s

A while back @Ms_J1 started a thread with some pretty good workouts, here it is if you want to check them out:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10164950/swim-workouts/p1