Did you swim today?

Options

Replies

• girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    50 laps in under an hour, nuffer? Boy, I'm slower than I thought...
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    Options
    Back home from the New Zealand Masters Games. Got six gold medals but the only race I was happy with was the 400m free where I took 14s off my PB and did a 5.32. The rest of my swims were all slow!

Will go back to the pool on Saturday but may take a couple of weeks off to let finger heal if it's still this painful.
  • aliciamariaq
    aliciamariaq Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Congratulations emmab! 14s off a 400 with a broken finger, very impressed!
    Oh and it's official, got an email from the head of FIN (Italian SwimmingFederation) confirming that as a resident and as a registered member of an Italian team, I can particpate in the European Masters Championship. So London here I come!!
  • girlwithcurls2
    Options
    Impressive, emma!!! I hope you can take time to let that finger heal. If it's not one thing, it's another... That is an amazing 400 time!

@aliciamariaq, hooray! You guys are awesome!!

I did get a short swim in yesterday. Slow, but focused.
  • nuffer
    nuffer Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    50 laps in under an hour, nuffer? Boy, I'm slower than I thought...

Well, I was spurred on by sprint 50s guy who likes to pace off and lap me (did not happen). Plus the suggestions that I've received here to do some interval sprints have helped bump my pace. But I'm one of the slowest in the pool most days.

Congrats on your medals and PR @emmab0902 and good luck in London, @aliciamariaq

No swim last night. Stayed home and made dinner for the fam.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    40 plus mins of stopping to adjust the earphones on my new toy (waterproof iPod thingy).
    Oooh! After you've used it for a few days, give me a report!

Oh, and 54 laps in 72 minutes today.
  • nuffer
    nuffer Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    A nice quiet evening in the pool. 2800 yards in 63 minutes. Lots of good thinking time away from screens and voices. Kind of cool weather, only two others in the water. Probably last swim until Monday.
  • aliciamariaq
    aliciamariaq Posts: 272 Member
    Options

3km last night
    400 Warm up
    400 4x100 IM
    800 4x(50+100+50) backstroke
    300 4x75 backstroke
    400 4X100 kick
    300 6X50 backstroke
    400 cool down
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    I had some dental issues that required dental surgery. I can start swimming again Monday.

(FWIW, anyone who's afraid of the dentist? I cannot recommend twilight sedation enough. It's a beautiful thing)
  • mpeters1965
    mpeters1965 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I swam both Tuesday and Thursday mornings but they were rather disappointing. I have had a stiff neck which has been making it hard to sleep and therefore hard to get up and swim with any enthusiasm. After my great clinic on Sunday it was a bit of a letdown but we just keep going, right?

You guys have been busy! Medals for Emma (with a broken finger no less), movies for Panda, dental surgery for Noel and just some really good swimming.

I'm not afraid of the dentist, Noel, and I've had lots of dental work. Not sure why. I never really went to the dentist much before I became an adult and had a lot of repairs needed because of that but it's all gone pretty well.
  • girlwithcurls2
    Options
    I got a timed mile in yesterday by surprise. I'm slow. I know that. But I'm not as ghastly slow as I thought, lol. I'm still working on that 2-beat kick, and it's hard to maintain that form for a mile when I don't really get to swim longer than about 30-45 min at a time, and I usually throw in drills since I'm so new to swimming that the muscle memory isn't there yet.

• fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    4 miles yesterday.
    10km (6.2 miles) today.
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    Options
    2150m with taped finger!

2x(100 free 100IM)
    2x50 fly
    8x50 breaststroke on 60
    20x50 as
    5 sculling on back feet first
    5 kick on side
    4 breaststroke
    6 freestyle
    All with 10s rest
    8x25 free on 30 no breathing first 12.5
    50 easy
  • 60sPanda
    60sPanda Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Congratulations Emma on all those medals - that is brilliant. No swimming for me for a few days - dad in hospital - all seems OK now but I am doing a lot of hospital visiting and ferrying people to and fro and not much time left over for the pool. Hopefully will be able to get a swim in next week.
  • fishgutzy
    Options
    No swim today. But a little over an hour in the weight room. Working core and upper body.
  • fishgutzy
    Options
    Must have been really wiped. Slept until 10 this morning.
    Family errands today and the Super Bowl.
    So 2 swim day tomorrow.
  • dlmciver
    dlmciver Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Swimming yesterday was packed ... most lanes five person circles... and iPod battery died. Today was much better and got my mile in. Rotator cuff strain better too !
  • girlwithcurls2
    Options
    No swim. Yesterday was a rest day. Today was a trail run. Getting ready for the Shamrock Run. My sister and I decided to aim high and sign up for the 15K (???). Took leave of our senses. Now, she's headed on spring break a bit early and can't go. She's willing to gift her entry to my 19-year-old, but holy heck... that girl better slow down and stay with me, or else just run her own race and meet me at the end. I have no idea if I can do 9 miles. I've kept my plantar fasciitis at bay for almost 8 months, but I need to up my mileage a bit to do this. I do love a good challenge though. (And at least with running I don't have to put my face in the water!!)

Back to the pool tomorrow. Laps and class--it's "Tabata Monday"!!
  • girlwithcurls2
    Options
    dlmciver wrote: »
    Swimming yesterday was packed ... most lanes five person circles... and iPod battery died. Today was much better and got my mile in. Rotator cuff strain better too !

5 peeps circling!! Yikes! Nothing makes me swim faster than lots of people circling!!
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    1450 41:38

I was out last week with a dental abscess and the garbage surrounding that. The training plan I am on has me bumping up my yardage by 50 yards every week. This is supposed to get me to 10,000 yards a week by sometime in April to train for a six mile swim in the middle of June. I should have been doing 1400 last week and then 1450 this week, but i was out last week. It may be that keeping to the pre-planned yardage will be a mistake, but I doubt it, as fifty yards a week is a pretty gentle increase over time.