• NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    1450 38:14
  • aliciamariaq
    aliciamariaq Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    emmab0902 wrote: »
    By 6pm this evening the European Masters had reached its maximum capacity of 14,000 swimmers. Sadly, I didn't get my entries in on time... Registration opened on Monday at noon. Oh well. At least I hadn't booked my flights and accomodations yet, some of my teammates had. Only 4 out of 18 managed to get in before the cut off.

Oh bugger am gutted for you :cry:

I know, a real bummer. But hey, now I am curious about this World Masters Event in April 2017!
  • aliciamariaq
    aliciamariaq Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Wow great swims everyone.
    Been swimming but haven't checked in this week.
    Swam Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday.
    Been feeling more tired than usual last 2 weeks and struggling abit with motivation, but my times have been pretty good!
    Tuesday, did 3 sprint sets with some kids and their coach after my swim - had planned on my usual 2.5km but ended it 2/3 of the way through as I felt exhausted and out of it - then a coach asked me to join his trainees in some sprints!

I had stopped sprint sets towards the end of last year after a health scare that had me at the ER after one of my sprint sessions, which turned out to be no cause for alarm.
    So I think I might be do some training with them, to keep things interesting and improve my speed!

That's great that you can keep up! Way to go!
  • UG77
    UG77 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I did not swim today but I did yesterday. I'm easing into the gym and alternating days on the elliptical with days in the pool.

I don't really know what I'm doing in terms of building up endurance swimming. Presently I am just alternating strokes so I can keep moving... until I have to take a couple of minutes to catch my breath. Right now I am cycling through breast stroke, side stroke, free style laps for an hour, resting when I need to.
  • NoelFigart1
    Options
    UG77 wrote: »
    I don't really know what I'm doing in terms of building up endurance swimming. Presently I am just alternating strokes so I can keep moving... until I have to take a couple of minutes to catch my breath. Right now I am cycling through breast stroke, side stroke, free style laps for an hour, resting when I need to.

For what it is worth, I used this exact method to build up endurance, slowly but surely dropping out the easier strokes in favor of the crawl I need to use in open water events. I'm not a brilliant swimmer even now, but I am much better than I was!
  • UG77
    Options
    UG77 wrote: »

For what it is worth, I used this exact method to build up endurance, slowly but surely dropping out the easier strokes in favor of the crawl I need to use in open water events. I'm not a brilliant swimmer even now, but I am much better than I was!

Thanks for the feedback. It's good to hear from someone that's already blazed this trail. My rule of thumb is that consistency trumps and as long as I'm not causing myself injury then the worst that can happen is I develop some bad habits regarding form. I've always been a good, strong swimmer but there's a difference between brief short instances of effort and sustained effort. My form mainly starts to flag when I have pushed my pace on a lap too hard and I get fatigued and start to struggle to control my breathing.
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    Options
    emmab0902 wrote: »
    By 6pm this evening the European Masters had reached its maximum capacity of 14,000 swimmers. Sadly, I didn't get my entries in on time... Registration opened on Monday at noon. Oh well. At least I hadn't booked my flights and accomodations yet, some of my teammates had. Only 4 out of 18 managed to get in before the cut off.

Oh bugger am gutted for you :cry:

I know, a real bummer. But hey, now I am curious about this World Masters Event in April 2017!

www.worldmastersgames2017.co.nz

• Bruceapple
    Bruceapple Posts: 2,026 Member
    Options
    I swam today: 1/2 mile @ 41 minutes
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    It's Thursday, the day I leave work early and treat myself to as long a swim as I want (or can handle!). I think it was about 2000y in 53 min. Then class. I'm looking forward to a great sleep tonight.
  • NoelFigart1
    Options
    1450 38:24
  • UG77
    Options
    27 laps (1350m) 60m

Starting to love the smell of chlorine in the morning.
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    Options
    2400m

4x 50 free
    4x 50 kick IMO
    3x 200 free negative split
    4x 75 as br, fly/br/fly, back, free
    4x 50 fly kick
    400 free even pace
    8x 50 as 2x(fly/back, back/br, br/free, free/fly)
    100 easy

Everything was with a 20 second rest interval.
  • nuffer
    nuffer Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    2950 yards in 66 minutes, gradually getting faster.
  • NoelFigart1
    Options
    1500 39:50
  • UG77
    Options
    28 laps (1400m) 60mins
  • AquaticQuests
    AquaticQuests Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Great swims everyone!
    Haven't checked in for awhile. Swam last Thursday.
    Also swam today - 2.5km 57 min today!
    Hopefully will be mixing it up with sprint sessions now to keep things interesting!
  • PulpFaction
    PulpFaction Posts: 15 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    1700m in 50mins

300 mix warmup
    200 kick
    3x100 IM with 20s rest
    200 kick
    4x50 free on 60 @ 80%
    200 kick
    300 mix cool down

I'm going well with increasing my distance by 100m each time I swim. What I was really happy with this session was my times in the 50 free. Did it in 44/45/45/45 (normally 44/47/48/49) so seeing some tangible improvement is very encouraging :smiley:
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    Noon Hour Struggle. Family Day Holiday ( provincial not federal Holiday )
    The Pool was a Zoo - started with 3 in a lane - I left when it was at 5 per and 1 more person was dipping there feet over the wall indicating they wanted to join in, and people were still coming in and standing at pool side trying to decide.

750 m in 35 minutes. arggggggg.
  • 60sPanda
    60sPanda Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Good morning - finally back in the pool after an almost two week break. Managed 1600m in about 35 mins (I lost track of the clock) as I was late in the water after tube problems. Then the pool was crowded - Juliet3455 - five people in a lane I wish!! This morning we were up to 8 at the peak :)
  • NoelFigart1
    Options
    No swim this morning. Gym closed due to bad weather. I grump... :(