Did you swim today?

Options

Replies

• mpeters1965
    mpeters1965 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I spent over three hours in the pool today. It's been a while since I was actually in the water long enough for my fingers to get wrinkly! I went to a USMS stroke clinic in Orlando. It was a beautiful facility. I was reminded of a few things I know (like my hands tend to enter the water on the center line instead of in front of my shoulder on freestyle) and some things I didn't (like that I also do the same thing on backstroke, ugh!).

I probably learned most about breaststroke and backstroke, because I have not had much coaching in either and came away with some good advice. I tried all the drills for butterfly too but I'm not ever going to get serious about it at the age of 50. On the way home, I treated myself to eggs, pancakes and bacon because I felt I earned it. :smile:

Here is the pool. I did feel a bit intimidated until we got started.

vs6rap9a0gg6.jpg
  • mpeters1965
    Options
    oh, and welcome PulpFaction! Glad to have you here.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    WOW!!!! Gorgeous pool, @mpeters1965 !!
    And yes, you DID deserve that breakfast. I hope you enjoyed every delicious bite! :)
  • aliciamariaq
    aliciamariaq Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    @mpeters1965 Nice pool! Don't give up on butterfly! I know a couple of Masters swimmers who learned to swim butterfly in their 60s and went on to do really well in races.
    It is the most difficult in terms of technique and strength.
    And yes, well deserved breakfast, now you can relate to Phelps and his famous breakfasts!
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    @mpeters1965 Now That is A POOL :D Trade you - my 6 lanes for your 20?
  • mpeters1965
    Options
    It was a great pool! The ledge is much higher than my home pool, though, and I had to either go to one of the ladders or get a hand to get out. The ladders are only in the corners and if you are in one of those middle lanes, it's a long way to go. I guess with practice I might be able to lift myself out!
  • 60sPanda
    60sPanda Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Love that pool - I have never swum in anything like that before. Missed a couple of days swimming last week but made it yesterday. Did a lot of legs only with fins, which made a nice change (250m front, 250m back, 200m side and some fly drills with fins).

Went to another branch of my gym this morning - very nice, quiet 4 lane 25m pool, but one that was obviously designed for leisure, not swimming. No lane strips on the floors, no end of length markings for flip turns etc. Still a pleasant 2,5km swim though, after which I had popcorn for breakfast whilst finally getting to see Star Wars (loved the film and even better is that 10am on a Monday morning meant that only myself and 4 other people were in the huge cinema. I sprawled out over three seats and had a blissful time.
  • AquaticQuests
    AquaticQuests Posts: 945 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    A hard 2.5 km in about 57 min.
    No tumble turns at all this time. People were swimming widthwise and it was just difficult to get any sort of rythm going!
    I upped my water intake in a huge way last week aiming for 2-3 liters per day (0.5-0.8 gallons)! One immediate effect was my energy levels dropped (probably craving sugar) so just trying to make the adjustment. Feeling better now!
    Also trying some stroke adjustment to have more of the power come from the torso/hips and utilizing rotation so the shoulders and arms are not carrying all the load!
  • AquaticQuests
    Options

Here is the pool. I did feel a bit intimidated until we got started.

vs6rap9a0gg6.jpg

That is a fantastic pool! Wow! Do post the picture on this thread as well http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1413984/what-pool-river-lake-were-you-in-today-pictures#latest
  • AquaticQuests
    Options
    Welcome to the group PulpFaction, and good job on getting back into it.
    As a former competitive swimmer you sound like you'll probably get back into the thick of things pretty quick!
    Great swims everyone.
    I tend to mainly do longer continuous swims, so not of much help on the drills. I did buy a pack of swimming drills and session cards by Sheila Taormina last year, but haven't gotten round to using them just yet!
    Y'all are an inspiration to me whether faster or slower, and it's always great to log in on the group and get pumped up for the swim!
  • juliet3455
    Options
    What I did today at noon doesn't really qualify as a swim. 50 minutes to get in 750 meters. That would normally be about 15-20 minutes.
    Felt out of sorts and then got Toe Cramps after 250 Meters so some stretch's and then Breast stroke for 500 meters.
    Doesn't matter if you are a swimmer, runner, weight lifter etc, when its not your day all you can do is just get through it and move on.
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone.

First swim yesterday since the finger incident. Wasn't allowed taping for racing and it was a lot more painful than I expected! Definitely approached all my IM turns with much trepidation!

Swam the 200IM and 100 back last night - both were slow times - 200IM was 3.04 which is 5s over the time I did 3 months ago, and 100 back was 1.26 which is 4s over my best time.

Not happy but didn't have high expectations with injury and a lot of downtime in past two months!

It's great to read everyone else's awesome swims!
  • PulpFaction
    PulpFaction Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the welcome! I changed it up today and swam in the evening. I think I much prefer a morning swim though, even if it is a lot busier. 1.5km for me of mixed strokes and distances in about 45mins.

300 warm up mixed
    200 kick
    2x 100 IM
    200 kick
    4x50m T60 @ 80%
    100 kick
    300 warm down mixed

I really can't wait until my fitness improves as I hope that will give me a bit more flexibility in designing a session. It would be lovely to be able to hop in and just swim a couple of kms straight!

@aliciamariaq thanks for the link to the other work outs! Lots of inspiration there. I think I'm definitely going to start including some drills in my sessions
  • Bruceapple
    Bruceapple Posts: 2,026 Member
    Options
    Yes, Swam one mile @ 63 min.
  • aliciamariaq
    aliciamariaq Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    So last night's practice was a bit of a bust, I had no idea what I was doing.
    The core set was 12x(50m + 100m) on 50s per 50m. 1 slow 1 fast. I couldn't figure out when we were supposed to go fast and when we were supposed to go slow
    And it made a difference because the rest interval was pretty tight.
    At first I thought we were supposed to do 50+100 fast then 50+100 slow. But it wasn't that. It was something like 50fast 100slow 50slow, 100fast 50fast, 100slow 50slow etc
    It was hard to keep track, I just followed.....
    Not sure how much we did, if we did the whole practice it was supposed to be around 3.5km but I couldn't do math anymore...
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Where does everyone get their inspiration from for swim sets?

I do pretty much the same set every time 2700 as follows:
    200 warmup: 25 breast/ 25 back X 4
    1600 freestyle (using my "affir-bet" to keep track)
    500 kickboard: 25 flutter / 25 dolphin X 10
    250 freestyle--emphasis on form / correct body position
    150 cooldown: 25 breast/ 25 back X 3
  • 60sPanda
    60sPanda Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Skipped the swim yesterday in favour of a 9mile walk (swimming is much easier than that!). Back in pool this morning for 2.8km in 55 mins.
  • juliet3455
    Options
    My swim was yesterday as part of my latest lessons.
    100m warm Fr,Br and Back
    2 x 50 - Kick Fr
    4 x 25 - Shark x 3
    4 x 50 - Fist
    4 x 50 - Finger Drag
    4 x 50 - Fr Descending Cnt
    2 x 50 - Kick Back
    2 x 50 - Back Finish Scull
    2 x 50 - Back Handshakex2
    4 x 50 - Back Descending
  • gentlygently
    gentlygently Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    40 plus mins of stopping to adjust the earphones on my new toy (waterproof iPod thingy).

Needless to say I forgot to try out the size of the 'rubbery goes in your ear bit' before I left for the pool and the standard one was not quite right.

Silly me.

• nuffer
    nuffer Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    60sPanda wrote: »
    Skipped the swim yesterday in favour of a 9mile walk (swimming is much easier than that!). Back in pool this morning for 2.8km in 55 mins.

Agreed on that -- two days ago I did a brisk walk home, over 8 miles -- instead of hitting the pool. I'll do it again, but .. ugh!

Last night 2500 yds in 55 minutes or so. Looks like I'm about 500 behind you, @60sPanda