Form critique thread, post your videos here.

Options

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    The bar starts over the mid-foot like a deadlift. Bar travels up and down like deadlift.

Now your flat back makes an upside down right-angle triangle with arms hanging straight down being the 90 angle side (pretty close).

Which means your shins/legs are slanted - the bar cannot follow the shins up, unless your mid-section is smallish.

If doing these other lifts - no wonder the good-mornings didn't impact you much, so similar already.

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Hamstrings/BBStraightLegDeadlift.html

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Hamstrings/BBStrBackStrLegDeadlift.html

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Hamstrings/BBGoodMorning.html

Probably seen these or similar.

https://youtu.be/QR6HDEmBQNo

https://youtu.be/XowKMitOVNc

And straight or stiff I've never seen a difference besides term used, even straight possibly having a minor buckle merely to protect knees.
  • Kittyfeliz
    Kittyfeliz Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I'm spamming you guys.

Pause deads for the first time ever today - does my back look alright? In particular I'm concerned by my upper back

You are such a badass! And I love your pants!! <3
  • StephieWillcox
    StephieWillcox Posts: 627 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Kittyfeliz wrote: »

Pause deads for the first time ever today - does my back look alright? In particular I'm concerned by my upper back

Well you just made my day <3
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Kittyfeliz wrote: »

Not gonna lie, they are pretty awesome.
  • StephieWillcox
    Options
    Here are some more of my pants! Hooray.

Following the discussion on the Feb Q&A thread it became quite apparent that my squats are high bar. Today I tried lowering the bar...

... still don't think I'm doing low bar squats given my hip position at the bottom, but am I on the right track? At least the lower bar position stopped me pitching forwards at the bottom (although my bar path is still more / than |)

• DopeItUp
    Options
    Steph, a few things you might try:

1) Before starting each squat, squeeze your glutes and straighten up a bit. Before you even start the squat you look like you're already leaning forward a little bit too much and it only gets worse as you descend.

2) Control your descent speed a lot more. Try to go much, much slower. Like, excruciatingly slow to start at least. It will be easier to keep your balance as you change directions, IMO.

3) Pause squats can help force you to keep balanced because otherwise you'll just fall over when you get to the bottom.

4) This was great for ingraining balance for me: http://yashathoughts.com/check-your-balance/ (you can use 2.5lb plates for this)

These things have helped me pitching forward in the hole, which is a long long long time problem of my own. You may have to drop the weight unfortunately, squatting with good technique and balance took abouuuttt 200lbs off of my max. Yes, 200lbs. I spent years pitching forward and good morning'ing the weight so it was a brutal adjustment. I hope to be back at my old max this year.
  • StephieWillcox
    edited February 2017
    Options
    DopeItUp wrote: »

1) Before starting each squat, squeeze your glutes and straighten up a bit. Before you even start the squat you look like you're already leaning forward a little bit too much and it only gets worse as you descend.

2) Control your descent speed a lot more. Try to go much, much slower. Like, excruciatingly slow to start at least. It will be easier to keep your balance as you change directions, IMO.

3) Pause squats can help force you to keep balanced because otherwise you'll just fall over when you get to the bottom.

4) This was great for ingraining balance for me: http://yashathoughts.com/check-your-balance/ (you can use 2.5lb plates for this)

These things have helped me pitching forward in the hole, which is a long long long time problem of my own. You may have to drop the weight unfortunately, squatting with good technique and balance took abouuuttt 200lbs off of my max. Yes, 200lbs. I spent years pitching forward and good morning'ing the weight so it was a brutal adjustment. I hope to be back at my old max this year.

Thanks!

1) This is going to be a problem. In order for me to have a flat back I need to lean like that - I have a pretty serious anterior pelvic tilt so if I stand upright I have a serious arch which was stressing my low back. I am trying to work on the APT but it's slow going. As it improves I will try to be more upright.

2) yeah I have a nasty habit of dropping. Will slow it down :)

3) pause squats are actually going really well. I sit back much better in them. They are in my program (candito linear progression) so they get trained every week for 6x4

4) thanks for the link. Pretty smart thinking there. Will definitely give it a try with pause squats on Thursday!

No sweat on the deload. I'm constantly deloading and starting again on my squats, so there's no ego here :)
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options

I've been working on my form trying everything. ^^This helped me; especially #1.
  • PocketPoodle
    PocketPoodle Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Squats annoy the heck out of me these days. My back loses tightness, and my weight goes forward. I apologize for the really crappy angle, but if anyone has suggestions for improvement, I would be very grateful.

• DopeItUp
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Your squats look pretty damn good to me. It's normal to struggle and shift around a little when you change directions with a heavy weight, IMO. You look like you correct quickly from the tiniest movement.

One cue that helps me powering out of the hole is to think about driving my upper back backwards into the bar as I change directions. Your mileage may vary.

Have you ever tried squatting barefoot/flat shoed? Raised heels like that make the problem much worse for me by trying to shift the weight onto my toes.
  • PocketPoodle
    Options
    Your squats look pretty damn good to me. It's normal to struggle and shift around a little when you change directions with a heavy weight, IMO. You look like you correct quickly from the tiniest movement.

One cue that helps me powering out of the hole is to think about driving my upper back backwards into the bar as I change directions. Your mileage may vary.

Have you ever tried squatting barefoot/flat shoed? Raised heels like that make the problem much worse for me by trying to shift the weight onto my toes.

Thank you so much! I just feel like I lean forward too much for how high the bar is on my back. I would like to try low bar squats, but I think I would have to have someone help me. I'm thinking of going to a powerlifting workshop in my home country in a couple of months.

I will try the "upper back backwards into bar" cue next time, I imagine that could help!

When I first started squatting I wore flat shoes, but I felt the forward lean was worse back then. Maybe it was the general weakness and lack of mobility, I don't know. I will try some sets in flat shoes next time.

Thanks again!

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I want to know how you make your feet float above the floor!
  • PocketPoodle
    edited August 2017
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    I want to know how you make your feet float above the floor!

Hahahahaha!!!! I didn't notice before. I guess it just comes naturally to me!
  • DopeItUp
    Options

Thank you so much! I just feel like I lean forward too much for how high the bar is on my back. I would like to try low bar squats, but I think I would have to have someone help me. I'm thinking of going to a powerlifting workshop in my home country in a couple of months.

I will try the "upper back backwards into bar" cue next time, I imagine that could help!

When I first started squatting I wore flat shoes, but I felt the forward lean was worse back then. Maybe it was the general weakness and lack of mobility, I don't know. I will try some sets in flat shoes next time.

Thanks again!

Sure thing. Ideally you want the bar centered over the middle of your foot. It's hard to see in the video but it's somewhat close at least. The bar IS a litttttle forward of that point I think but it's not horrendous. Does it line up better with a lower weight? If it doesn't then it tends to strictly be a technique/balance issue, IMO.

Low bar will definitely help too, there's nothing special about it. Put the bar a few inches further down your back, resting on your scapula and rear delts and you're done. It's way more comfortable to me, I never high bar squat.
  • PocketPoodle
    edited August 2017
    Options

Thanks again!

Sure thing. Ideally you want the bar centered over the middle of your foot. It's hard to see in the video but it's somewhat close at least. The bar IS a litttttle forward of that point I think but it's not horrendous. Does it line up better with a lower weight? If it doesn't then it tends to strictly be a technique/balance issue, IMO.

Low bar will definitely help too, there's nothing special about it. Put the bar a few inches further down your back, resting on your scapula and rear delts and you're done. It's way more comfortable to me, I never high bar squat.

I think it looks better at a lower weight, but I still feel like I have to really work hard to keep upright, keep my chest up and my upper back tight, all while not hyperextending my lower back (I have an anteriorly tilted pelvis that I'm working on correcting, it has gotten better but still isn't great). Somehow, the movement just doesn't feel natural to me.

You know what, I'll try low bar next time! The main thing that has kept me from it has been, as silly as it sounds, that I don't know exactly where to put the bar. My rear delts aren't particularly meaty yet, and I have this image in my head of the bar rolling down my back and landing on the floor :D
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    @PocketPoodle

Those are solid squats.
  • PocketPoodle
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »
    @PocketPoodle

Those are solid squats.

Thank you!

I'll try low bar tomorrow. Really interested in how they feel. If anyone saw a person squatting a music stand in a practicing room at a German music academy today.... That was me. Don't worry, I'm fine.
  • PocketPoodle
    Options
    Health issues got in the way, but now I finally got around to try low bar. What do you think?

I am used to squatting with a mirror in front of me. This is probably better, I just have to get used to it.
  • DopeItUp
    Options
    Those are some beautiful squats. How did it feel?

By the way, one of the best decisions I ever made was swapping to the other side of my squat rack so I can't see myself in the mirror. Gotta concentrate on what your body is doing, not what you're looking at. IMO. Helped my form a lot.
  • PocketPoodle
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Those are some beautiful squats. How did it feel?

By the way, one of the best decisions I ever made was swapping to the other side of my squat rack so I can't see myself in the mirror. Gotta concentrate on what your body is doing, not what you're looking at. IMO. Helped my form a lot.

Thank you!! Actually, it felt much more natural than high bar - it was a bit of a light bulb moment. I will definitely stick with low bar for now. I also think it's easier to focus on how the squats feel without the mirror.

The only thing I noticed from looking at the video was how my back sort of hyper extends (is that the term?) on the way up. Is that of any concern? I tried to focus on keeping my upper back tight and "present a more horizontal back angle", and on driving my hips up, so maybe I lost a bit of concentration on my lower back. Am I overthinking? :expressionless: