What was your fasting BG today?

Options

Replies

• jvcjim
    jvcjim Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    93 (5.17)
    My normal evening snack is 56g cheddar cheese, 30g low sodium deli ham, more or less depending on remaining calories. when i stray far from this i generally wind up with higher morning numbers
  • judyvalentine512
    judyvalentine512 Posts: 927 Member
    Options
    Mrron2u, it's actually the liver that starts dumping glucose into your system to make up for not getting enough food. But, either way, skipping meals, not good. You either get too low right after, or too high in the morning. Tricky business this disease ain't it?

Today, 6.4 (116)
  • mrron2u
    mrron2u Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    @judyvalentine512 - that's right - the liver! I knew something caused the spike from not eating. Thanks!

In the meantime, 192 today. Plugging away 1 day at a time!
  • leanmachine514
    leanmachine514 Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    Family dinner set me off...117 this am
  • ConleighS
    ConleighS Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    223. I had a big dinner coming back to bite me. I'm having an electroscopic ultrasound to check my pancreas (comfirming if i pancreas divism) this afternoon so cannot eat or drink until probably 6 or 7 tonight. They don't want me to take meds.
  • jvcjim
    Options
    93 (5.17) 2nd day in a row!
  • judyvalentine512
    Options
    ConleighS wrote: »
    223. I had a big dinner coming back to bite me. I'm having an electroscopic ultrasound to check my pancreas (comfirming if i pancreas divism) this afternoon so cannot eat or drink until probably 6 or 7 tonight. They don't want me to take meds.

What exactly is pancreas divism? I've had quite a few challenges with my pancreas, and I've never heard of that.

Today when I got up, after a very restless night, my FBS was 13.9(250). Number of reasons I can think of, restless night, snacking too late, or maybe the strip was bad. 2 hours later,
    6.1 (110). So, I'll relax.
  • leanmachine514
    Options
    Good morning all. Hope you have a great weekend. Today was 103
  • ConleighS
    Options
    Good morning. 211 this morning. I had a whole wheat sandwich for dinner last night about 8pm. Too much carbs I guess.
  • ConleighS
    Options

What exactly is pancreas divism? I've had quite a few challenges with my pancreas, and I've never heard of that.

Today when I got up, after a very restless night, my FBS was 13.9(250). Number of reasons I can think of, restless night, snacking too late, or maybe the strip was bad. 2 hours later,
    6.1 (110). So, I'll relax.[/quote]

Pancreas divism is a birth defect. The pancreas starts out as 2 separate pieces that join together. In my case they did not join correctly and also the bile duct split into 2 with smaller portion joining back, which causes back up...and my bile duct is shaped more oval or rectangle than round like it's supposed to. Depending on what the EUS test shows will determine if I need surgery or if I'll just have to deal with it with diet, exercise and meds to keep my BG low

Glad your BG settled down..
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Mrron2u, it's actually the liver that starts dumping glucose into your system to make up for not getting enough food. But, either way, skipping meals, not good. You either get too low right after, or too high in the morning. Tricky business this disease ain't it?

Today, 6.4 (116)

Hmmm. I don't think you get glucose dumps and high morning BG from not enough food!

Skipping meals is often good for many T2Ds. It's all it takes to move my BG back down, since it gives your liver and pancreas a rest. (Of course, it you're T1 or T2D on insulin, you have to adjust your insulin and oral meds accordingly.)
  • judyvalentine512
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »

Today, 6.4 (116)

Hmmm. I don't think you get glucose dumps and high morning BG from not enough food!

Skipping meals is often good for many T2Ds. It's all it takes to move my BG back down, since it gives your liver and pancreas a rest. (Of course, it you're T1 or T2D on insulin, you have to adjust your insulin and oral meds accordingly.)

I have to say RalfLOtt, you're wrong. It is NEVER advised that diabetics skip meals. It causes too much fluctuation in your numbers. A routine of regular meals is what's best. Also, do some more research about how the liver reacts to too little food.
  • leanmachine514
    Options
    @judyvalentine512 Excellent article. Thanks...today was 110
  • judyvalentine512
    Options
    After a day with my lovely granddaughters, my sugars this morning were 12.8 (231). Movie, red licorice, and a slice of cheesecake. But, it was all worth it.
  • jvcjim
    Options
    121 (6.72) late dinner
  • mrron2u
    mrron2u Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    267 this morning. Sucks that you can't take a day off with Diabetes. At least I know what caused the high reading - due to a "date day" with my wife we had donuts for breakfast, nachos for lunch, pizza for dinner and apple crisp for a late desert. Back on the wagon today.
  • jvcjim
    Options
    108 (6.00)
  • judyvalentine512
    Options
    mrron2u wrote: »
    267 this morning. Sucks that you can't take a day off with Diabetes. At least I know what caused the high reading - due to a "date day" with my wife we had donuts for breakfast, nachos for lunch, pizza for dinner and apple crisp for a late desert. Back on the wagon today.

I hear ya! Today 8.5 (153) . Red licorice and cheese cake, again! There is no more junk in my house. Chicken and salad today, maybe a healthy smoothie for lunch.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »

Today, 6.4 (116)

I have to say RalfLOtt, you're wrong. It is NEVER advised that diabetics skip meals. It causes too much fluctuation in your numbers. A routine of regular meals is what's best. Also, do some more research about how the liver reacts to too little food.

Not true, though perhaps it depends what you mean by "skipping" and whom you read for advice.

Many experts recommend careful, intermittent fasting as part of long-term BG- and insulin-lowering therapy.

The result in my own case has been lost weight and consistently lower BG levels. I would never have come up with the idea on my own, believe me (nor by reading the stone-age recommendations of the ADA)!

Here's but one example, which discusses a recent study.
    https://www.dietdoctor.com/new-study-low-carb-diet-intermittent-fasting-beneficial-diabetics

Nystr%C3%B6m-Sugar-650x582.jpg