Amflautist's accountability thread

amflautist
amflautist Posts: 941 Member
edited March 2017 in Social Groups
I'm starting OMAD today. I really think it would make more sense for me to wait a while before starting this thread, but I decided to do it anyway because I need to be accountable to myself. Immediately! About 18 months ago, I had successfully completed a 60# weight loss here on mfp, and was starting to look good. Then disaster struck. I was dancing at my daughter's graduation. Dancing in shoes that weren't made for the purpose - and I twisted my knee. A couple of meniscus tears. I went to physical therapy, got a cortisone shot, and tried hard to wait it out and let my knee heal. No go. I found a great knee surgeon - he quoted 50% chance that arthroscopic surgery would make things better, 10% chance things would be worse. Had the surgery last July, and then faithfully did a heckofalot of physical therapy. Unfortunately, the knee keeps getting worse. I use hiking sticks a lot to assist my walking, and some days I pick up my crutches just to get around without pain. I have gained 20# since the knee injury. NOT GOOD!

I am finally motivated to get this extra weight off! My schedule doesn't allow me the luxury of a knee operation until late summer. I WILL get this extra 20# off by then. I will use this accountability thread to keep the progress moving.

I have no doubts about OMAD. That is going to be the easy part. The harder part will be figuring out what physical exercises I can do to strengthen my muscles and get in better shape prior to getting a NEW KNEE!

Height: 6'
Starting weight: 195.8
Goal before getting a new knee: 175
Eventual goal: 165

Replies

• Brendalea69
    Brendalea69 Posts: 3,863 Member
    Welcome back and I'm sorry to here about your knee injury :( I started out at 194 and didn't start exercising (walking on the treadmill) until 6 months later and I lost 50 LBs so you can lose weight without exercising :) Good luck!!!
  • leveejohn
    leveejohn Posts: 346 Member
    The kitchen is for weight loss, the gym is for fitness. I don't think exercise is necessary for success with OMAD, besides Brenda there are others who have had stunning success without exercise. Others swear by it.

What I think is most important is to stop stressing your body. Start OMAD, do what's right for your knee, and don't worry about the rest. Your major priority is to feel good, and that includes both weight loss AND a healthy knee. Getting the rest of your body in shape can wait until later. Until then, I would follow whatever your doctor is telling you.

Don't stress about getting in shape. Numero uno for you is to get that knee back, I would think. In the meantime, OMAD will help, as you already know.
  • KetoKaHee
    KetoKaHee Posts: 270 Member
    I agree with what @brendagaudette and @leeveejohn said! I have over 8 years in Personal Training and you do not need to workout to lose weight. Actually it can hinder your results by overstressing your system. Start with OMAD and progress from there!!
  • amflautist
    Thank you everyone. :) I am feeling so lucky I found this group.
  • jvcinv
    jvcinv Posts: 504 Member
    I concur with the above advice. I lost 90 pounds doing OMAD with zero exercise. Only recently have I added a bit of light exercise but while doing so I really focus on not stressing my body too much in the process.
  • leveejohn
    amflautist wrote: »
    Thank you everyone. :) I am feeling so lucky I found this group.

I'm with you! Lucky, lucky, lucky. What a great group. B)
  • amflautist
    edited April 2017
    One week. I thought it would be easy. Wasn't. Twice I ate again in the evening. I need to figure out a new pattern for my evenings so that I'm not doing this, because I'm not hungry at that time. Good news is that I lost 2# anyway. Lucky me, eh? I want to quit this cheating, because I can't count on luck every time.

26 Mar 2017: 195.8
    2 April 2017: 193.8
  • amflautist
    I found this TEDx talk on fasting. "Why Fasting Bolsters Brain Power"
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4UkZAwKoCP8
    I'm going to put it on my desktop and watch it every time I think about eating when I shouldn't.
  • jvcinv
    jvcinv Posts: 504 Member
    2 pounds is a good start. I watched that Tedx talk one day when I was browsing for info on fasting. Interesting.
  • Brendalea69
    edited April 2017
    I'm more hungry at night time too and this is why my eating window is anytime between 4 and 6, I can handle not eating all day knowing I'm going to be able to eat later...Oh and thats a good loss for the week while snacking :)
  • amflautist
    Nighttime is hard because I'm out of willpower by then. Still, I'm going to keep my OMAD earlier, because my body doesn't reduce the inflammation of my knee at night unless I stop eating at 3.
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    amflautist wrote: »
    One week. I thought it would be easy. Wasn't. Twice I ate again in the evening. I need to figure out a new pattern for my evenings so that I'm not doing this, because I'm not hungry at that time. Good news is that I lost 2# anyway. Lucky me, eh? I want to quit this cheating, because I can't count on luck every time.

26 Mar 2017: 195.8
    2 April 2017: 193.8

No luck involved. That might work for you but it would be easy for it to get out of control so understand your concern.
  • amflautist
    I used Excel to make a chart of most of my weight data, starting 7/28/2011, which is the day I started with mfp. xftc74twnld4.jpg
    Sobering. I thought I was maintaining my weight in the 170s. Nope! Most of the time in the past 5 years I have been in the 180s. Lately in the 190s, and even over 200 (data not yet entered). I SO happy I found this group! My knee is going to be happy too!

• leveejohn
    Nice chart! It's amazing the lessons to be learned from a simple run chart
  • andyvedz
    andyvedz Posts: 22 Member
    I love a good chart, even when it's brutally honest :p being aware of what is happening is a great start to doing something about it:)
  • amflautist
    edited April 2017
    Yes, brutally honest. My picture is brutally honest also. Taken March 2012 when I was at the same weight I am now.
  • Brendalea69
    Yes your knee is going to love you :)
  • leveejohn
    Your 'brutally honest' pic is pretty nice!
  • amflautist
    OMAD
    1st Goal = 172 (weight when I wrecked my knee)
    Wk .. Weight ... Chg ... Total
    0 .... 195.8
    1 .... 193.8 ..... -2.0 ..... -2.0
    2 .... 191.4 ..... -2.4 ..... -4.4

Luck is with me again! Lost 2.4 pounds. It's what I gained that I really appreciate however.
    I am sleeping a LOT better. I always knew that if I ate dinner late, or drank wine, I didn't sleep well. So I would try to have dinner 5-6PM. Now I know that it's even better to have dinner 12-1PM. I'm sleeping like a baby now.
    Even better, the swelling in my knee is way down. Yesterday I went to the library, and walked around the supermarket - with no pain!

Today I'm going to try a little walk up the road ... We'll see what the knee can do now.
  • leveejohn
    Wonderful results!!! Be kind to your knees, one of mine keeps nagging me about whatever it is I happen to be doing.