Options

Replies

• Zuzurillo
    Zuzurillo Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »
    Zuzurillo wrote: »
    Motivation?
    Complete and utter vanity. Narcissistic compulsion to still be the belle of the ball ( well, at least in a ballroom full of old people) Feels so naughty to say that out loud LOL!

Your profile pic..... Prom? Debutante?

I like to hide behind my hero Baddie Winkle :)
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »
    Motivation?
    Complete and utter vanity. Narcissistic compulsion to still be the belle of the ball ( well, at least in a ballroom full of old people) Feels so naughty to say that out loud LOL!

Your profile pic..... Prom? Debutante?

I like to hide behind my hero Baddie Winkle :)

OMG. :o
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    When my 11 yo daughter begins dating, I want to be in good enough condition that the threats...uh, I mean warnings....uh, I mean conversations I have with any boy she dates to be taken seriously. The gun and shovel are good, but....
  • nikoba
    nikoba Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I so need this thread today. I dunno know what happened, but my motivation really waned the past month. It's forcing me to really look at myself/health/weight in the big picture. There's definitely some vanity reasons behind this...I want the image in the mirror to reflect the person I feel like inside. I want to feel sassy and confident again. But really, I just want to have control over my eating. And I want the food that I eat to make me feel good & energetic, not loaded down and heavy.

I'd like to get to the point where I don't have to struggle and fight with cravings, but just know the things I'm supposed to eat and stick to them. I've been cheating with eating so much this month, and not one time did the food taste as good as I recalled them to taste. I need to remind myself that nostalgia wears rose colored glasses.
  • jayerde
    jayerde Posts: 35 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    So my motivation is being able to walk and the fact that my waist measurements suddenly put me at risk of heart disease. I have RA and I gained about 5kgs after moving from a shop floor job to a desk job. After a sudden flare up I was put on prednisone for what was meant to be a month but stretched closer to six. All up I ended up at 75kg from my pre deskjob 56kg. After prompting from my manager and coworker, and failed attempts at calorie counting (I lost a total of 3kg down to 72kg over 9 months and that would have been mostly water weight from the prednisone) I gave LCHF a go.

So far so good! I've lost about 8kg (currently at 64kg) I've managed to increase my exercise dramatically.
    Went from weekly aquacise to doing Zumba, Aquacise, Circuit training, yoga and kick scootering on a good week. My knees still hurt on and off and I get occasional bouts of fatigue but it's not a constant thing and the fact I have the energy for so many different types exercises now really highlights the drop of inflammation in my body.

Yes there is a bit of a vanity aspect in my weight loss but now that I'm over halfway to my goal weight my focus has really switched to building muscle to protect my problem joints (currently my knees).
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,757 Member
    Options
    bumpity bump bump....
  • pitbullmamaliz
    pitbullmamaliz Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Yay for another thread I really needed tonight!

My motivation is health and looking good, but honestly, getting a young horse has been the biggest motivator for me. I'm one of the ones responsible for teaching her to safely and happily carry a rider, and even though she's an big girl, I was worried my weight would hinder things. Also, I have big goals with her that will require me to be lighter and more athletic (flying over big fences and jumping crazy cross-country obstacles). So my horse has been a huge motivator.
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    One of my motivations which I have held onto as a secret until now is fear. Years before being diagnosed with T2D, my doctors would tell me I had BG numbers higher than they would like, but not to pre-diabetic levels. This goes back to the beginning of 2007.

As it turns out, these statements were made without an A1c test just using FBG. The FBG I had when I finally did get diagnosed in September 2015 was exactly the same as where it had been 8 1/2 years earlier. I likely was at least pre-diabetic, if not diabetic most of that time and quite possibly much before that as I had not had a physical before that for more than a decade.

I didn't know all that much about diabetes back then. I did know that diabetics could have sugar spill into their urine. This is where the fear came in because I had noticed on many occasions that my urine smelled sweet - very much like the cereal Sugar Smacks.

I thought at the time diabetes was a forever thing. That once you had it, it was progressive and there was nothing you could do about it. You know, the conventional wisdom spread by the ADA and others.

I knew if I did have it, it was because of my food consumption/addiction. For decades, my philosophy was I would work out as much and as hard as I had to in order to eat what I wanted, when I wanted and how much I wanted. This kept me from ever being obese, although I did get to about 40 lbs heavier than I am now, my BF% never got above about 23% due to the intense workouts.

I will say eating 5000-7000 calories a day (and sometimes double that in a single sitting when a buffet was involved) is not healthy in the long run regardless of how much you burn. It still puts a huge stress on your body. I just struggled, and still continue to struggle with not eating to the point of being stuffed. I think this is why I was able to more easily relate to many people who were significantly overweight.

Fortunately, I focused that fear about diabetes into some pretty intense research, as many of you may have noticed from other things I have written in various threads. I have learned diabetes doesn't have to be progressive and I can and have made changes so that when my now 11 yo daughter is getting married someday, I can be healthy enough to walk her down the aisle. I can be healthy enough to see grandchildren some day.

My motivation in regard to my family is still the primary, but I have to admit that fear of the way diabetes destroys people (kidney failure, blindness, amputations, etc.) was also pretty powerful. Everyone will die one day. That just seemed a really sucky way to do it.
  • JessicaLCHF
    JessicaLCHF Posts: 1,265 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Pretty much my only motivation is: diabetes.

I'm not that worried about looks, hubby loves my curves, and I can do most everything I want to do at whatever size I am. I couldn't care less what other ppl think of me and the path of least resistance (and saving money) is definitely just eating the SAD. I have no fear of death, heaven is my home, and I don't give a fig about clothes. In fact, I don't think I've bought clothes in several years

But I'm here for my diabetes. I want to have normal blood sugars and not worry about damaging my eyes or organs. The weight loss is just a bonus, it's not my driving force.
  • RalfLott
    edited May 2017
    Options
    cstehansen wrote: »
    .... I have to admit that fear of the way diabetes destroys people (kidney failure, blindness, amputations, etc.) was also pretty powerful. Everyone will die one day. That just seemed a really sucky way to do it.

Not to mention cardiac disease, Alzheimer’s, and necrotizing fasciitis...
    Ay, there are better and later ways to go.

• AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    Yes, but I hate to put a damper on all this.
    We're all going to die in perfect health - !!
  • bluets2011
    bluets2011 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Im a mature student graduating on the 13th of July and want to look good on the pictures.
    Also I have two lovely pairs of jeans that I want to get back to by July or my niece will have them.
    Ive put my name in the London marathon ballot so I need to get fit because I have a tendency to win any ballot I enter!
  • RalfLott
    Options
    Yes, but I hate to put a damper on all this.
    We're all going to die in perfect health - !!

In the same plane crash? I hope it's after the party.....
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    Options
    Let's make it DURING the party! I intend to go out singing and dancing - !!
  • in_faith
    in_faith Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Romans 12:1
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    Options
    Isaiah 22:13.
  • akninsas
    akninsas Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    My physician diagnosed me with metabolic syndrome after labs and told me the reason I wasn't losing weight was due to insulin resistance. I have witnessed my mother's medical issues from being non compliant and that's not the path I want for my future. I want to be healthy and have energy and enjoy life. I'm also a nurse and I have to practice what I preach.
  • PaulaJSchiller
    PaulaJSchiller Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    My current motivation is mostly health related although I really really want to get to my goal weight this time. I got close about 2 years ago, gained back some weight, but I'm very determined this time to reach my goal.

Since then, my sister was diagnosed with stage 4 breast cancer, we do not have a family history of cancer so this was a huge shocker. She wasn't the vision of health at the time. She is overweight, has smoked for over 30+ years and isn't physically active. I have also watched my Mom's health decline over the years. She has so many issues going on, takes so many various meds, she has COPD, sleep apnea, high cholesterol, acid reflux, joint pain, HBP and recently had knee replacement surgery. All of her doctors have told her if she lost weight so many of her medical issues would improve.

I want to give myself the best chance at not following down those roads, so I took control of my health and haven't looked back. I had a full check up shortly after my sister got her diagnosis and everything came back great so now I need to keep it that way, they are my daily reminder and motivation. I have not been able to get either to jump onboard to my WOE, I don't preach or ask, just try to lead by example, but they haven't taken the leap.
  • PatsyFitzpatrick
    PatsyFitzpatrick Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I am motivated with LCHF or Paleo because I was a size 18/20 now a size 6/8. Everyday as a foodie is a struggle to make the right choice. That has not changed. But not having to choose elastic pants and buttoning a size 8 is great. I eat to live not living to eat. Stay the course and we all are better.