Daily Check-In for Keto Friends 2017 Version

Options

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Thanks, @FIT_Goat for popping in with some great words of wisdom! The snacking thing is one I always struggle to explain, but I love this science/fact driven explanation here!
  • __Roxy__
    __Roxy__ Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Oh man, I so wish MFP had a net carb macro option. My OCD does not like those red numbers, even though I know my net carbs are below my goal! Dang fiber making false carb overages. Wahhh
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    https://github.com/Surye/mfp-keto-userscript

http://karoshiethos.com/2013/08/13/javascript-bookmarklet-for-enhanced-macro-goals-in-myfitnesspal/

I don't know if those ^^ links will work and I've never used them so I don't know how they alter screen but they can be found in the LCD Forum under Launch Pad, FAQ then Which is it? (Meaning total carb or net carb) if you want more information on them. The scripts (or whatever they're called) are for "net carb" purposes.

I'm right there with you though @River_Goddess regarding the red numbers. I despised seeing them during weight loss in regards to calories. I wasn't rigid on macros then (or now) and during the year I was strict with macros, I was so strict I never saw red numbers (that I recall) since I was eating in a certain fashion for a medical purposes.

But yes. HATE the red numbers. LOL.
  • dawnz75
    dawnz75 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    The past 2.5 weeks have been no sugar or sugar substitutes. Now I am considering how much and when to add back in a little "Ketoized" goodies. I just tried a bottle of Propel, well half a bottle, and it was too sweet. A couple weeks ago I could have drank a 6 pack of them. Just interesting how quickly our taste buds change. I think my next attempt will be a variation of keto bread. Hope everyone is having a great Wednesday!
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    dawnz75 wrote: »
    The past 2.5 weeks have been no sugar or sugar substitutes. Now I am considering how much and when to add back in a little "Ketoized" goodies. I just tried a bottle of Propel, well half a bottle, and it was too sweet. A couple weeks ago I could have drank a 6 pack of them. Just interesting how quickly our taste buds change. I think my next attempt will be a variation of keto bread. Hope everyone is having a great Wednesday!

@dawnz75 - I personally would recommend waiting until 12 weeks minimum. There are many issues related to sugar/sweetness, and it is very easy to backslide unless you are fully adapted to the ketogenic diet and/or fat adapted. Most people do not do much by way of the Keto "goodies" as they are just a "gateway carb" back to the land of everything you left behind.

A good resource for this is:

www.mariamindbodyhealth.com

or

www.healthfulpursuit.com

Both have information on how rarely to have an indulgence instead of regularly, how to get there, and what sweeteners are "safe" ish to proceed.

I apologize, I was interrupted. IF this makes no sense, let me know... I will follow up later.
  • dawnz75
    Options
    12 weeks is a good amount of time to wait. I have my first headache, and it came right after that energy drink. I was trying to be proactive since we have 2 family birthdays this month and one in Aug and our anniversary. But I still have a fair amount if weight to loose. I am pretty good with the mentality, lets keep focused this year and i will enjoy those treats (Or keto like treats) much better next year with better health and more weight loss. Thanks KnitOrMiss
  • KathleenSweetie
    KathleenSweetie Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Met my Kato goal today but had a headache that grew worse as the day went on. I started craving sugar, like that would fix the headache. Not an easy day to resist eating more food
  • dawnz75
    Options
    Hang in there Kathleen and get some good rest. I love how everyday is a reset, a new opportunity to learn more.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Met my Kato goal today but had a headache that grew worse as the day went on. I started craving sugar, like that would fix the headache. Not an easy day to resist eating more food

@KathleenSweetie - Many times, loading with salt can mute out the sugar craving. The headache that you had was most likely low electrolytes! Sodium UP!
  • lottogirly
    lottogirly Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    lol thank you for the 2017 version!
  • KathleenSweetie
    KathleenSweetie Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Sugar craving again today. I'll definitely pay closer attention to electrolytes and salt. Thank you for the tips!!
  • sebastiansteinmann
    sebastiansteinmann Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Bah, 3 days of going of script resulted in 3kg up, has to be water, but still sucks.

Starting work again on Monday, gonna be problematic without my magic omlet lunch.
  • dawnz75
    Options
    We are travelling to grandparents for 4 days this weekend. I need to keep my sodium in check. Can anyone recommend a bullion cube version of broth that has a good amount of sodium? I don't want to go put a bunch of things in her fridge, trying to keep my woe as inconspicuous as possible. Thanks
  • 4031isaiah
    4031isaiah Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    dawnz75 wrote: »
    We are travelling to grandparents for 4 days this weekend. I need to keep my sodium in check. Can anyone recommend a bullion cube version of broth that has a good amount of sodium? I don't want to go put a bunch of things in her fridge, trying to keep my woe as inconspicuous as possible. Thanks

I use Bovril OXO sachets. They come in chicken or beef and are 10 calories/packet and 2g carbs. They are about 890g sodium each. They're great because the little packets are portable and dissolve easily so you can be pretty discrete about it. We went away with friends a few weeks ago and I slipped a pack of chicken and a pack of beef in my Tim Hortons green tea. It was delicious and one had any idea. I carry them in my purse.
  • 4031isaiah
    4031isaiah Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    So I decided to try intermittent fasting. This is the third morning after an IF day and the 3rd morning no keytones show on my ketostix. At first, I thought maybe it was just an adjustment, then I remembered that I also recently started taking branch chain amino acids to help get me through the morning.

Does anyone else follow Keto and use BCAAs while doing IF?
  • sebastiansteinmann
    sebastiansteinmann Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Haven't tried BCCA, but fasting should improve your ketone levels, not kick you out. Sure your not so far into ketoses that it does not show up on keto sticks anymore?